PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Persisted Spell List

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-30, 08:43 AM
I'm playing a DMM: Persist Cleric in a 2-person party right now. We've been playing these characters since level 1, and I've only now gotten to the point where I have a decent list of spells I can persist.

I'm currently a Cloistered Cleric 7/Death Delver 1/ Sacred Exorcist 2, using the Cleric ACF out of Expedition to Castle Ravenloft that changes Turn Undead into Destroy Undead. I've got a Turn/Destroy/Rebuke Undead pool of 66 currently, so I can persist a total of 9 spells, which, if I use a Rod of Extend Spell, I can bump to 18 persisted spells.

I don't see much point in persisting 18 spells, so I've stuck with 9 for right now. The spells I have active currently are Magic Vestment [PHB], Divine Power [PHB], Righteous Might [PHB], Body Ward (Constitution) [CC], Shield of Faith [PHB], Divine Agility [SC], Holy Sword [PHB], and Conviction [SC].

I'm blanking on any other spells to persist. I currently have 6 0th, 5 1st, 6 2nd, 4 3rd, and 3 4th level spells left. If I feel like I have enough options, I can persist up to 10 more spells. Any ideas on other good spells to persist?

EDIT: Up til this point I've tried to avoid using spells that benefit the party, as there's only one other party member. It didn't seem efficient til now. Given that I've got 10 slots left, it might be worth it now.

Douglas
2011-03-30, 09:00 AM
Persist is not really necessary for Magic Vestment, its base duration is an hour/level.

Drop Body Ward and use Sheltered Vitality instead. I think it's 4th level.

You have two of the classic core trinity, why not the third? Divine Favor.

How are you getting Holy Sword? That's a Paladin-only spell.

Righteous Wrath of the Faithful would be great, but I think it's 5th level.

Recitation would be good. Mass Lesser Vigor takes care of all out of combat healing forever. If you have a shield, Shield of Warding gives a nice bonus. (Greater) Blindsight has superb utility. Snowshoes gives a little extra movement speed even if you don't need the walk-on-ice feature.

If being a walking hazard zone to everyone nearby all day long isn't a problem for you, Ring of Blades is great.

Every spell I mentioned is from either PHB or Spell Compendium.

gomipile
2011-03-30, 09:01 AM
Does Sacred Exorcist give you more turning attempts per day if you already have that class feature? I didn't think it did.

Douglas
2011-03-30, 09:04 AM
Does Sacred Exorcist give you more turning attempts per day if you already have that class feature? I didn't think it did.
No, it doesn't - but if you don't have that class feature, and he didn't before he entered Sacred Exorcist, then you gain it with the full normal number of uses per day.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-30, 09:11 AM
Persist is not really necessary for Magic Vestment, its base duration is an hour/level.

Good point, I'll fix that.

Drop Body Ward and use Sheltered Vitality instead. I think it's 4th level.

Sheltered Vitality is out of the SC, then? I'll check it when I've got the chance. We fight a TON of things that deal ability damage, so any way of protecting myself against those things would be good.

You have two of the classic core trinity, why not the third? Divine Favor.

Ach! How could I have forgotten!

How are you getting Holy Sword? That's a Paladin-only spell.

Glory domain 5th level spell. Gotta love Heironeous.

Righteous Wrath of the Faithful would be great, but I think it's 5th level.

Yeah, it's actually allies only. I was hoping to get that extra attack for myself, but it only benefits allies. Plus, both of us tend to be rather mobile in combat, and my compatriot is rarely 30ft away from me. The choice between this one and Divine Agility was the hardest call I had to make, but in the end, +5 to AC and Reflex saves was too good to pass up.

Recitation would be good. Mass Lesser Vigor takes care of all out of combat healing forever. If you have a shield, Shield of Warding gives a nice bonus. (Greater) Blindsight has superb utility. Snowshoes gives a little extra movement speed even if you don't need the walk-on-ice feature.

I looked at Recitation, but I wasn't impressed for some reason. I'll take a second look, see if I missed anything. Mass Lesser Vigor is going on me ASAP. I hadn't actually considered Greater Blindsight before, and I most definitely would not have thought of Snowshoes.

Thanks a lot!

No, it doesn't - but if you don't have that class feature, and he didn't before he entered Sacred Exorcist, then you gain it with the full normal number of uses per day.

This. Confused me at first, but it's pretty simple once you write it out.

EDIT: Just looked at Sheltered Vitality. OMFGWTFBBQ. I just sat there and twitched for practically a whole minute. Good lord I love Clerics so much. SO damn much.

Douglas
2011-03-30, 09:12 AM
Yeah, it's actually allies only. I was hoping to get that extra attack for myself, but it only benefits allies. Plus, both of us tend to be rather mobile in combat, and my compatriot is rarely 30ft away from me. The choice between this one and Divine Agility was the hardest call I had to make, but in the end, +5 to AC and Reflex saves was too good to pass up.
In 3.x D&D, you are your own ally. You benefit too. Also, unless I'm misremembering it badly the range is checked at time of casting only, not continuously throughout the duration.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-30, 09:16 AM
In 3.x D&D, you are your own ally. You benefit too. Also, unless I'm misremembering it badly the range is checked at time of casting only, not continuously throughout the duration.

Reeeeaaaalllly. Hm. Can I get a ruling on this with support? I'd like to show my DM, he most definitely won't believe me otherwise.

Douglas
2011-03-30, 09:18 AM
I don't have the time or books on hand to give a good reference at the moment, but I'm sure someone will dig something up for you if you ask in the RAW Q&A thread.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-30, 09:26 AM
Will do. Thanks for the help!

Feytalist
2011-03-30, 09:30 AM
This is something to think upon. I'd always assumed "allies" meant "not you". It does make the choice almost a no-brainer. Post in the Q&A forum, I want to know the answer too, heh.

gomipile
2011-03-30, 09:33 AM

Cloistered clerics don't get turn/rebuke? That's news to me.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-30, 09:35 AM
No, they do, but as stated in the first post, I'm using the ACF "Destroy Undead" from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. It replaces Turn Undead, which I get later from Sacred Exorcist.

Ceaon
2011-03-30, 09:36 AM
(...) using the Cleric ACF out of Expedition to Castle Ravenloft that changes Turn Undead into Destroy Undead. (...)

I'm guessing this is the 'trick' used?

Edit: Damn those blackclad stealthy oriental assassins!

gomipile
2011-03-30, 09:36 AM
No, they do, but as stated in the first post, I'm using the ACF "Destroy Undead" from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. It replaces Turn Undead, which I get later from Sacred Exorcist.

Ah. I misunderstood that. Having never read that class feature, I assumed that it simply added a new possible effect to the turn attempt.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-30, 09:39 AM
Yeah. Instead of turning undead, you deal 1d6/turning class level damage in a 30ft burst to undead.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-03-31, 12:21 AM
Sigh.

"counts as turn undead for meeting prerequisites" (EtCR207)

"If a sacred excorsist has this ability from another class, her class levels stack to determine effective turning level." (CDiv58)

doesn't anyone read the source material anymo

Doc Roc
2011-03-31, 12:51 AM
Hey, Plz.
Do you want to tell him about ocular spell? Or Cheater?

Douglas
2011-03-31, 08:21 AM
Sigh.

"counts as turn undead for meeting prerequisites" (EtCR207)

"If a sacred excorsist has this ability from another class, her class levels stack to determine effective turning level." (CDiv58)

doesn't anyone read the source material anymo
Ok, now where is Turn Undead involved as a prerequisite in Sacred Exorcist?

It isn't.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-31, 08:24 AM
Hey, Plz.
Do you want to tell him about ocular spell? Or Cheater?

Lol. I'm well aware of those two. I happen to like my DM, and I enjoy the campaign we're playing, so I'm reserving those two for a rainy day.

It'll rain that day, all right. It'll rain blood.

ffone
2011-03-31, 12:59 PM
I'm currently a Cloistered Cleric 7/Death Delver 1/ Sacred Exorcist 2, using the Cleric ACF out of Expedition to Castle Ravenloft that changes Turn Undead into Destroy Undead. I've got a Turn/Destroy/Rebuke Undead pool of 66 currently, so I can persist a total of 9 spells, which, if I use a Rod of Extend Spell, I can bump to 18 persisted spells. .

Ooh! How are you getting 66 turn undeads per day? A bunch of Nightsticks, or other stuff?

dextercorvia
2011-03-31, 01:12 PM
He has 3 pools of the X Undead ability, each of which benefit from Extra Turning, Reliquary Holy Symbol, and Nightsticks as necessary.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-31, 01:13 PM
I've got 3 sources contributing: Turn Undead, Destroy Undead, and Rebuke Undead. Each gives me 3+Cha modifier attempts per day, plus any other relevant modifiers. I've got a +5 Cha modifier, so that's 8. I've got a Nightstick Rod (+4) and a Reliquary Holy Symbol (+2), plus the Extra Turning feat twice (+8).

8 + 4 + 2 + 8 = 22 x 3 (Turn, Destroy, Rebuke) = 66 attempts per day.

EDIT: Gaaaaaah ninja'd.

Keld Denar
2011-03-31, 01:24 PM
I like Cloud of Knives. It gives you a free action attack every turn within 30'. It would benefit from your bountiful sources of bonus damage like Divine Favor, Recitation, etc.

I wonder, can you cast Holy Sword on an Ice Axe? That would be pretty brutal...

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-31, 01:26 PM
I think so... The description for Holy Sword says you can cast it on "any melee weapon you choose". It does specifically exclude artifacts, but that's not really a problem here.

EDIT: Looking at the Ice Axe spell, it says "if you hold anything else in your hand, the Ice Axe vanishes". That seems like a bad one to persist...

Last Laugh
2011-03-31, 01:26 PM
I like Cloud of Knives. It gives you a free action attack every turn within 30'. It would benefit from your bountiful sources of bonus damage like Divine Favor, Recitation, etc.

I wonder, can you cast Holy Sword on an Ice Axe? That would be pretty brutal...
Cloud of knives is a cleric spell toooooo? :smalleek:

Keld Denar
2011-03-31, 01:27 PM
Yea, I did a spit take on it when I saw that as well. Its delicious!

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-31, 01:31 PM
Which book is cloud of knives out of? It's not in the PHB or the SC, and those are the only two I have on hand at the moment. I'll check the rest when I get home, though.

Keld Denar
2011-03-31, 01:32 PM
PHBII. I know this one for sure, since I use it in a game where PHBII is allowed but SpC is not. I think its around page 110.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-31, 01:52 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out when I get the chance.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-03-31, 02:06 PM
EDIT: Looking at the Ice Axe spell, it says "if you hold anything else in your hand, the Ice Axe vanishes". That seems like a bad one to persist...

Oh, no, it's a great one to persist. Keep reading.

If you choose to hold something other than the ice axe in your hand or use the hand in some other way, the ice axe vanishes until the hand is empty again.

"I'm unarmed, I'm unarmed, la la la...WHAM, ice axe."

:smallbiggrin:

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-31, 02:12 PM
Holy balls-in-a-bucket that is AWESOME. Oh, I'm totally doing that.

Diplomacy, spelled "A-X-E".

Doc Roc
2011-03-31, 03:27 PM
I also love Moonblade, but that may not be available to you.

Because lightsabers with brutal rider effects? Yes please.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-31, 04:28 PM
Sadly, I'm not mounted. But the paladin in our party is. Where's this spell located?

Keld Denar
2011-03-31, 04:33 PM
By rider effects, he means effects that come along with the spell. Not effects that influence how well you use the ride skill.

Take Orb of Fire for example. The 15d6 SR:No Save:No damage is the big thing most people gush about. It also has a non-trivial save vs daze, above and beyond that damage. Thats the rider effect. Contrast to Scorching Ray, which is just damage. Alternatively, a Fell Draining damage spell has the negative level rider effect, which is extra deliciousness above and beyond the origional purpose of the spell.

I forget what Moonblade has, but its probably some kind of additional effect like a save vs status effect, or such.

term1nally s1ck
2011-03-31, 04:41 PM
It forces Conc checks to cast spells or use Sp abilities. Editing in the DC...

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-31, 04:42 PM
Sounds sweet. I'll look for it.

term1nally s1ck
2011-03-31, 04:42 PM
Forgotten realms campaign setting.

EDIT: Ok, does 1d8 damage +1/2 CL, twice that to undead.

Basically, it extends the Conc check to cast spells while being hit into the turn after you get hit by it, too. And adds the spell level to the DC.

Oh, and it's spell component is candy. CANDY.

tuesdayscoming
2011-03-31, 04:43 PM
What book is Moonblade from?

term1nally s1ck
2011-03-31, 04:47 PM
I just posted that. -_-

Keld Denar
2011-03-31, 04:58 PM
Whats up with spells with moon in the name and being really strong? Moonbow anyone?

tuesdayscoming
2011-03-31, 05:04 PM
I just posted that. -_-

Whoops, sorry, you ninja'd me!

ffone
2011-03-31, 10:49 PM
So Destroy Undead is from the Cleric (with ACF)...and I'm guessing Rebuke is from the Death Delver and Turn from the Sacred Exorcist?

Does this trick also work with the Earth/Fire/Air/Water/etc. domains - gain a pool of 'turn such-and-such creature' uses per day, and use them? Or does DMM specify turn/rebuke *undead*?

Vangor
2011-03-31, 10:56 PM
Earth/spider/slime/water/snakes whatever other turns do not count for the purposes of powering abilities such as DMM as the feat specifies "turning or rebuking undead". The destroy undead feature from Lightbringer clerics from ExCR specifies counting for prerequisites as well as, more amusingly, being usable to power such TU/RU abilities.

Douglas
2011-03-31, 10:58 PM
DMM specifically requires Turn/Rebuke Undead. Destroy Undead only works for it because it specifically says it does.

The various elemental turnings cannot be used to fuel DMM.

herrhauptmann
2011-04-01, 12:31 AM
Can Holy Star (SC 115) be persisted?
Ranged touch attack at 90 ft no range penalties, or +6 circumstance to AC, or some limited spell turning.

Vangor
2011-04-01, 12:52 AM
Yes, holy star can be persisted. Has a fixed range of 0ft, non-instantaneous duration of 3 rounds, and the entirety of effects are not discharged if spell turning is used.