PDA

View Full Version : top 3 "minor" disney characters

dehro
2011-03-30, 10:19 AM
let's face it, we all have our favourites...mines are as follows:

edna mode, from the incredibles
baloo from the jungle book
sebastian from the little mermaid

honorable mentions to king louie, again the jungle book; and archimedes, fom the sword and the stone.

P.S. yes, I know baloo and sebastian aren't exactly minor..but still.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-03-30, 10:27 AM
Baloo is a Rudyard Kipling character first and foremost. And he's one of the main characters in the Jungle Book to begin with, along with Mowgli, Kaa and Akela.

BladeofOblivion
2011-03-30, 10:29 AM
Baloo is a Rudyard Kipling character first and foremost. And he's one of the main characters in the Jungle Book to begin with, along with Mowgli, Kaa and Akela.

While this is true, the Disney movie alters him enough to call him a separate character, or a disgrace to the original, depending on whether or not you liked the movie/book.

dehro
2011-03-30, 10:32 AM
well duh! neither is the little mermaid a disney original story...in fact there are very few horiginal disney stories... so? I was of course talking about their rendition in the disney movies, classic or "new/recent"

Morph Bark
2011-03-30, 10:35 AM
well duh! neither is the little mermaid a disney original story...in fact there are very few horiginal disney stories... so? I was of course talking about their rendition in the disney movies, classic or "new/recent"

On that note: Marty, Pintel and Ragetti.

Scratch that, Mister Cotton is even better. :smallamused:

Rockphed
2011-03-30, 10:44 AM
My favorite? Pascal from Tangled.

After that I'm not really sure.

Holocron Coder
2011-03-30, 11:20 AM
Vinny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8wePgXDIY), from Atlantis: The Lost Empire :smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2011-03-30, 11:33 AM
I'll second Vinny. Also Dr. Sweet. (and the entire remaining cast of Atlantis...)

Mushu from Mulan probably doesn't count as a minor character. But he's pretty fantastic. Same goes for Genie from Aladdin. Iago, though, he's up there.

Ooh! Clopin from Hunchback. Definitely a favorite.

mangosta71
2011-03-30, 11:47 AM
I've only seen Atlantis once, and it was a long time ago. And my work PC doesn't have a working flash player. Is Vinny the explosives guy?

Holocron Coder
2011-03-30, 11:53 AM
I've only seen Atlantis once, and it was a long time ago. And my work PC doesn't have a working flash player. Is Vinny the explosives guy?

Yes, the explosives guy. The link is a video of most of his dialog in the movie.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-03-30, 02:49 PM
Cogsworth from The Beauty and the Beast. David Ogden Stiers, hello.

Warlawk
2011-03-30, 06:19 PM
Iago from alladin was fantastic.
Chief from the Road to El Dorado was just a great character. Very chill, just wants to keep everyone happy and peaceful. (Not disney, but don't really care)

Icewalker
2011-03-30, 08:25 PM
Oh hey! I forgot Road to El Dorado wasn't Disney. I would have mentioned it, but Tulio and Miguel are just so great there isn't much in the way of minor characters to be awesome. (Except maybe the armadillo). Also the Chief, yeah.

Eldariel
2011-03-30, 08:29 PM
Rafiki from the Lion King of course; <3 crazy monkies.

Marillion
2011-03-30, 08:42 PM
Horst (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZfyV8vYWug) from Ratatouille.

Maximus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZb11v1E4EY) from Tangled.

And, of course, Vinny.

Weirdlet
2011-04-08, 02:06 AM
The Muhktar from the Aladdin TV series. Grumpy bounty-hunting lizardman on a reptile-bird mount with a raspy voice and a very... acerbic sense of humor. Appeared in two episodes of anything, ever.

thegurullamen
2011-04-08, 10:11 AM
+1 for Vinnie.

MO/the broken robot brigade from WALL-E. Determined, assertive and impartial to the hero's quest yet heroic himself/themselves. Also the captain. ...Er, all side characters from WALL-E.

And throw in Mozenrath from Aladdin:TAS. Cool name, a strong foil to Aladdin in almost every way, and has a cool magic glove with Nightmare Fuel underneath.

Lurkmoar
2011-04-08, 10:17 AM
How minor is minor? Like film only leads are disqualified?

Because my favorites are Gizmo Duck. Launchpad McQuack and Darkwing Duck. Or is DW disqualified for headlining a show? If that's the case, I'd say Bronx from Gargoyles is number 3.

Telonius
2011-04-08, 10:27 AM
Kind of hard to tell which one is going to be a "minor" character.

1. Le Fou, Beauty and the Beast
2. Hoagie, Pete's Dragon
3. ... tied between way too many.

Top two spots go to comic-relief henchmen. This particular sort of character is in an ideal spot for scene-stealing as well as showing off the weaknesses of the main villain. The best of this kind are generally likeable - the audience gets the impression that they've just fallen in with the wrong crowd, and would actually be pretty nice to know if they weren't constantly being a toady.

Icewalker
2011-04-08, 11:16 AM
Having seen Tangled a couple nights ago, I now definitely need to add Maximus and Pascal to this list. Both sooooo great.

TheSummoner
2011-04-08, 12:59 PM
How minor is minor? Like film only leads are disqualified?

Good question... My own guidelines would be protagonist, love interest and antagonist are all automatically disqualified. Sidekicks can be considered minor, but should be taken on a case by case basis. Any characters who have a great impact on the plot is also disqualified (Example: The genie in Aladin would be disqualified. He is far too powerful and his powers and lack of free will have too much impact on the plot for him to be considered minor.) Finally, characters who have stared in any spin-offs, sequels or anything that isn't the main movie are also disqualified (Example: While Timon and Pumba were minor characters in The Lion King, they got their own spin-off series so they don't count. By that, I'd also say Darkwing Duck doesn't count as a minor character, though Launchpad does.)

Anyways, for my three, I have to second Rafiki and Iago. Third is a bit harder for me since I haven't seen a Disney movie in forever... If I come up with one, I'll post it later

dehro
2011-04-11, 02:22 AM
Good question... My own guidelines would be protagonist, love interest and antagonist are all automatically disqualified. Sidekicks can be considered minor, but should be taken on a case by case basis. Any characters who have a great impact on the plot is also disqualified (Example: The genie in Aladin would be disqualified. He is far too powerful and his powers and lack of free will have too much impact on the plot for him to be considered minor.) Finally, characters who have stared in any spin-offs, sequels or anything that isn't the main movie are also disqualified (Example: While Timon and Pumba were minor characters in The Lion King, they got their own spin-off series so they don't count. By that, I'd also say Darkwing Duck doesn't count as a minor character, though Launchpad does.)

Anyways, for my three, I have to second Rafiki and Iago. Third is a bit harder for me since I haven't seen a Disney movie in forever... If I come up with one, I'll post it later

what he said

Cyrion
2011-04-11, 09:32 AM
1- Napoleon and Lafayette from the Aristocats
2- Jacque (the mouse) from Cinderella
3- Gurgi from the Black Cauldron

Dr.Epic
2011-04-12, 07:38 PM
The spoony bard from "the Black Cauldron" aka the only character from that film I can stand. Well, him and the Horned King only because the voice actor was also Aragorn.

zephyrkinetic
2011-04-12, 07:39 PM
Oooh.

Cronk, Emperor's New Groove.
Carpet, Aladdin.
Honestly: Gus, Cinderalla.

Theodoriph
2011-04-13, 01:17 AM
1. The Chef (Rene Auberjonois) from Little Mermaid
2. Rafiki from the Lion King
3. Iago from Aladdin
4. If Iago isn't minor enough, then the various dinnerware from Beauty and the Beast.

Edit: Also, Nutsy and Trigger the vulture crossbowmen from Robin Hood are pure awesome!

Edit Edit: Also, Lady Kluck from Robin Hood is also awesome.

Robin Hood was made of win. How could anyone hate a movie that gave us the Hampster Dance. And Maid Marion was foxy. Rawr!

BladeofOblivion
2011-04-14, 08:50 PM
And Maid Marion was foxy. Rawr!

That pun actually made my mind catch on fire. :smalleek:

Altaria87
2011-04-15, 02:22 AM
Does Shang (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64) count as 'minor'? If so, he is definitely in all three of the top places :smalltongue:

Albub
2011-04-15, 05:26 PM
Maid Marion was foxy. Rawr!

I agree. Disney is wayyy too good at making animals attractive.