PDA

View Full Version : Your Highness

Killer Angel
2011-03-30, 03:45 PM
I don't know you, but I'm totally going to see this masterpiece (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nB2pWEW9yw). :smallbiggrin:

The movie is Rated R for "strong crude and sexual content, pervasive language, nudity, violence and some drug use", but the trailer itself is PG-13 (and approved by the Mods), and seems really funny...

Fjolnir
2011-03-30, 03:55 PM
I like the evil wizard's answer for "why would any woman want to be with you?"

"Because I'm rich, I live in a castle, and oh yeah; I can do MAGIC!"

Worth at least a rent.

toasty
2011-03-30, 05:10 PM
In general I find R-rated comedies not at all that good. Not enough plot and generally just poorly done. So I'm not that interested in this movie.

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-30, 05:27 PM
Natalie Portman and Zooey Deschanel in the same movie?

I died, didn't I? I died and I am in heaven now. That's the only possible explanation.

Weezer
2011-03-30, 05:46 PM
By the director of Pineapple Express? Count me out.

Keld Denar
2011-03-30, 05:48 PM
I'll probably go to this movie. Hopefully it has more fanservice than Sucker Punch did. Of course, SP was only PG-13...

I'm optimistic!

Warlawk
2011-03-30, 06:00 PM
I'll probably go to this movie. Hopefully it has more fanservice than Sucker Punch did. Of course, SP was only PG-13...

I'm optimistic!

Being a man who's greatly appreciative of the female form, I actually tend to lean the other way. It has always seemed to me that more fanservice usually means less of something else. More fanservice is added to cover the lack of plot/action/substance/whatever.

If I'm just dieing for fanservice, the internet rarely fails to rise to the challenge. In my movies a nod to fanservice isn't bad, but I'll take less over more. It also opens up more things to be something to watch with the wife and older two kids.

As far as Your Highness goes, it's probably good for a rent/netflix stream. Looks like it should have some good laughs and be a nice fun movie.

Leecros
2011-03-30, 06:12 PM
Being one whom has seen the R-rated trailer on youtube(of which i'm not going to do anything except acknowledge its existence). I have to say that it should be a quite funny film, just not for the whole family. It seems like a film i would enjoy which is surprising since most of my experience with R-Rated comedies has been shockingly 'meh'. Of course all of this is moot for me since my girlfriend wants to see it and is going to drag me to the movie theater to see it anyways...

Killer Angel
2011-03-31, 11:46 AM
In general I find R-rated comedies not at all that good. Not enough plot and generally just poorly done. So I'm not that interested in this movie.

Usually, that's true, but this seems funny.
Probably not worth the theatre, but for a rent, yes. Bonus if seen with friends, chips and beers. :smallwink:

Asarlai
2011-03-31, 12:57 PM
Trailer had me laughing, I'll make sure to see this.

Robert Blackletter
2011-03-31, 07:29 PM
Natalie Portman and Zooey Deschanel in the same movie?

I died, didn't I? I died and I am in heaven now. That's the only possible explanation.

I don't think it That sort of film.....

Moff Chumley
2011-03-31, 07:40 PM
By the director of Pineapple Express? Count me out.

But that movie had that one M.I.A. song in it that everyone loved for about a week and then forgot about... :smallfrown:

Gorgondantess
2011-04-01, 12:38 AM

Worth at least a rent.

At first I was ambivalent, but that was pretty good. And then:
"What a coincidence, I was just about to finish thinking of you."
A good line in any movie.
I'll probably see it, even though I really, really dislike Natalie Portman. The last good movie she did was Leon the Professional. And her british accent pisses me off.:smallsigh:

comicshorse
2011-04-01, 06:33 AM
I'll probably see it, even though I really, really dislike Natalie Portman. The last good movie she did was Leon the Professional.

Go watch 'Black Swan'

Yora
2011-04-01, 06:38 AM
The trailer looks stupid. But since trailers always aim to please the dumbest crowd and often don't have much to do with the actual movie, I might be interested in this.

Renegade Paladin
2011-04-01, 07:05 AM
The trailer looks stupid.
Hilariously stupid. :smallbiggrin: The restricted trailer is even more so, on both counts. :smalltongue:

Yora
2011-04-01, 07:31 AM
No, Friedman and Seltzer stupid.

Gorgondantess
2011-04-01, 07:48 PM
Go watch 'Black Swan'

I have. I don't think it was a good movie. Effective? Hell yes. Enjoyable? Not if it were the last movie on earth.
EDIT: Okay, V for Vendetta was pretty good. But her british accent still pisses me off.:smalltongue:

Jerthanis
2011-04-01, 08:12 PM
No, Friedman and Seltzer stupid.

Wow, harsh.

That's like... comparing something to Nazis; you can't really get worse.

I actually thought the trailer looked like parts of it would be funny, I'll probably rent this someday, but I'm not going to expect much out of it.

thorgrim29
2011-04-03, 01:51 AM
Wow, harsh.

More like Nazi pedophile dog rapists. And yeah, seems fun, I'll probably see it at some point, can't be any stupider then the film I saw tonight (he Quebec doubling of Kong Pow)

Zocelot
2011-04-03, 09:58 AM
Wow, harsh.

Is there a Godwin's Law for comparing something to comparing something to Nazis?

On the topic of the movie, I generally dislike R-rated comedies with the exception of Superbad. In particular, I fail to see the humour in jokes about drug use. "Oh, they did some drugs, and now they're acting like they're on drugs. How funny". All that said, I'll probably watch this, but not in theatres.

Eldan
2011-04-03, 10:13 AM
Yeah. Most drug comedies aren't black enough.

Kato
2011-04-03, 01:10 PM
Meh. I'm unsure. it has some pretty nice lines in the trailer but overall I really expect just a lot of stupid jokes (since those were most of the trailer) On the other hand Natalie Portman and fanservice... That's not an offer to turn down lightly, though it will probably not be anything special.

I'll have to think about it, I guess.

Gorgondantess
2011-04-03, 01:13 PM
Yeah. Most drug comedies aren't black enough.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? It's the only drug comedy I've ever watched, and it's very, very black.

Philistine
2011-04-03, 06:10 PM
I'll see your Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and raise you a Trainspotting.

Surrealistik
2011-04-03, 06:18 PM

Worth at least a rent.

Haha, that's great, loved the delivery.

Not so big on the exhausted, and tired premise of the hypercompetent woman and bumbling clod tag-along men.

Also Pineapple Express director; good stuff, loved that movie.

Coidzor
2011-04-03, 07:24 PM
Not so big on the exhausted, and tired premise of the hypercompetent woman and bumbling clod tag-along men.

Indeed, it'd be nice to have, I dunno, complementary skillsets or something every once in awhile.

Renegade Paladin
2011-04-03, 07:46 PM
It seemed to me that Thaddeus was the incompetent of the pair; nothing about Fabius suggested it.

Surrealistik
2011-04-03, 08:21 PM
It seemed to me that Thaddeus was the incompetent of the pair; nothing about Fabius suggested it.

He looks like the _less_ bungling one with an iota of common sense. Same deal though; basically the Dale Denton of Your Highness.

WhiteHarness
2011-04-04, 07:59 AM
I can't tell if that's what we're going to see in this film, but I did want to chime in to express agreement with this sentiment. The trope is wearing out, IMO. I'm sure that there are plenty of other ways to demonstrate that a particular female character is "strong" (in whatever sense that is supposed to mean) without contrasting her with utterly stupid men.

Dr.Epic
2011-04-14, 05:33 PM
Just saw the film and loved. Honestly, I wasn't sure if I was going to like. The trailer looked kind of iffy. I saw it mainly for 3 reasons:

-I'm a huge fan of Medieval Fantasy (especially comedic (I love Adventure Time)).
-I want to see Natalie Portman in any role that'll make me forget "I love the water." I'm excited about Thor and I don't want to be associating that line in any way to the movie.
-Brad Jones (aka the Cinema Snob) highly recommended it.

The film, while very vulgar and violent, is still awesome in my opinion. You ever see that failed pilot on Adult Swim called Korgoth of Barbaria? That's basically the movie except more crude because it's not on television. From the first scene, I knew I was going to love this movie. My biggest complaint is it felt too short (it is around 90 minutes though). I might see it again if I can get some more cash. A interesting double feature would be Your Highness and then Thor. Natalie Portman in two re envisioned fantasy films based on trends and customs from the Middle Ages.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-15, 10:48 AM
Korgoth the Barbarian is indeed epic, and should have been a series.

Your Highness is one part stoner movie, one part geek movie. Pretty much divided evenly in half, with the good bit in the latter half. I would have enjoyed it a lot more without the stoner humor, but it was certainly amusing...more than it had any right to be, and I'd judge it worth a watch for any D&D player.

After all, it wasn't that different from many campaigns I've played in.

Erloas
2011-04-15, 11:49 AM
I would give the movie a resounding meh.

I had no desire to see it but I went because a group of friends were going and I didn't have anything else to do.
Obviously the plot was formulaic, although it did mean it had more of a plot then I was expecting. But even the action and comedy was formulaic. There wasn't really anything in the entire movie that was even slightly original.

In the end though I wouldn't say it was a bad movie, as it was pretty much exactly what it was advertised as. There just wasn't anything about the movie that made it good and no reason at all to see it in the theater.

Dr.Epic
2011-04-15, 02:32 PM
Korgoth the Barbarian is indeed epic, and should have been a series.

I know. That show was so epic! It may have been my favorite thing Adult Swim did (Super Jail is kind of tied with it now).

Dude, this movie is every D&D campaign I DM.

Obviously the plot was formulaic, although it did mean it had more of a plot then I was expecting.

The plot to me was formulaic because it seemed like the movie was trying to be a parody of high sorcery Conan-the-Barbarian films: kill the evil wizard, rescue the young damsel, and get the magic sword to do this.

Erloas
2011-04-15, 04:09 PM
The plot to me was formulaic because it seemed like the movie was trying to be a parody of high sorcery Conan-the-Barbarian films: kill the evil wizard, rescue the young damsel, and get the magic sword to do this.
Well obviously there will be some personal biases to how its seen. To me it seemed like a comedy set in a fantasy setting rather then a comedy about a fantasy setting. If it was directly parodying a movie, its no one that I know. And the vast majority of the jokes had nothing to do with a fantasy setting, they would have been much the same in a sci-fi or alternate history setting.

It wasn't just the main plot steps that was formulaic, it was also all of the side and minor events.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-17, 06:55 PM
Well obviously there will be some personal biases to how its seen. To me it seemed like a comedy set in a fantasy setting rather then a comedy about a fantasy setting. If it was directly parodying a movie, its no one that I know. And the vast majority of the jokes had nothing to do with a fantasy setting, they would have been much the same in a sci-fi or alternate history setting.

It wasn't just the main plot steps that was formulaic, it was also all of the side and minor events.

Oh, cmon....did you see the obligatory barbarian character? Was it not obvious that he was a spoof on like...every barbarian ever? Hilarious.

It wasn't that it was directly parodying one movie...it was making fun of the genre as a whole. The basic save the princess motif(I'm not gonna bother with spoilers for anything in the trailer), the evil wizard, the glorious quest, and all that jazz. They took all the standard fantasy elements and made fun of them.

Erloas
2011-04-17, 08:15 PM
Oh sure, there were some obvious fantasy based jokes, but as a whole the majority of the jokes they did had little to do with the setting.

Maybe the problem was that they just didn't go far enough. If it was a parody it wasn't enough to really set itself apart from the "regular" movies using the setting. Quest, save girl, evil wizard, doesn't really make it a parody when their quest isn't any more outlandish or non-nonsensical then what they are supposed to be parodying. Their evil wizard didn't have anything going for him that made him stand out as a parody, except the generic "lonely looser" thing they gave him which isn't a parody of the genre so much as another setting unspecific set of jokes. Ok, well the girl was a dumb princess parody, but even that came off as much dumb girl needing saving as it was any sort of princess commonly seen in the genre and in fact she very specifically wasn't a princess, just a girl needing saving.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-17, 08:20 PM
Honestly, I think it'd have come across much better if they skipped the stoner jokes in the beginning. If you start watching thirty minutes in, it's definitely pure fantasy, and comedy of same. Until then, much of the humor is "dude gets high, accomplishes nothing". I get why they did it...two fan bases instead of one, and it's not like it's hard to do....but the movie definitely suffered.

Yeah, the wizard was definitely a parody of evil wizard. Listen to any speaking part of his that lasts longer than a single word.

SiuiS
2011-04-17, 10:41 PM
This thought simultaneously worries me and makes me want to see the movie.

I'd also like to note that sticking to a trope isn't parody; it's stickin to a trope. Making fun of the trope through it's use would be parody.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-18, 09:30 AM
This thought simultaneously worries me and makes me want to see the movie.

I'd also like to note that sticking to a trope isn't parody; it's stickin to a trope. Making fun of the trope through it's use would be parody.

Right. Evil warlock sacrificing a virgin isn't parody. It's parody when...

The evil warlock also has to be a virgin. And has ludicrously over-the top evil-hair, blatantly proclaims his villainy, and tries to woo her while picking apart a bug. Which he then eats.

It's taking the trope to a level whereby it's just silly. Definite parody.

Cyrion
2011-04-18, 09:48 AM
I suppose since it's a movie with fantasy-resembling substance, we're compelled to watch this thing, but really, don't even bother renting it. It has a few things to laugh at, but they don't salvage the experience. More specifically-

It has precisely three jokes- 1) I want to get stoned and/or laid, 2) We're saying something that sounds like we're homosexual, 3) I'm an evil warlock. The evil warlock ones are funny, the others are funny perhaps once, but then they get really old (or they make you wait until the end of the film- "I was just about to finish thinking of you.")

It tries to be a parody, but it just doesn't have the strength of writing to pull it off. Really, it's the writing that kills this one. We get more creative and funnier in "Dragon Killing Advice v. 1,000,000" than they manage in this.

There really isn't an original idea anywhere to be found. OK- it's trying to be a parody, so it shouldn't be looking for original. How about creative? Can't pull that one off either.

Special effects? It's a freshman project from special effects school that are only a minor improvement on the 60's and 70's special effects they are taken from.

And you're still going to be pissed at Natalie Portman's accent.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-18, 10:40 AM
None of the reasons why I enjoyed watching Natalie Portman had anything to do with her accent.

Renegade Paladin
2011-04-24, 06:15 PM
Special effects? It's a freshman project from special effects school that are only a minor improvement on the 60's and 70's special effects they are taken from.
I'll take it a step further; the special effects could be accomplished by anyone with a copy of After Effects, a few hours to kill, and who knows the url of http://videocopilot.net :smalltongue: It's a terrible movie. A hilariously terrible movie, as I predicted. :smallbiggrin: As long as you weren't expecting it to be something it isn't and didn't pretend to be, the only trouble is the level of vulgarity is so over the top as to almost overshadow the rest of the experience.

Mx.Silver
2011-04-24, 07:44 PM
Meh, trailer failed to present anything particularly amusing and overal it looks to be a pretty bad film. And since bad comedies are typically immune to the 'so bad it's good' effect* I shall not be seeing this.

*probably because bad comedy is, by definition, something that isn't funny.

Wow, harsh.

Not unless you go as far as comparing any band/musician/singer/monkey with a drum kit that isn't Brokencyde to Brokencyde. But then that's not a move anyone is likely to make.

Dr.Epic
2011-04-25, 08:10 AM
Honestly, I think it'd have come across much better if they skipped the stoner jokes in the beginning. If you start watching thirty minutes in, it's definitely pure fantasy, and comedy of same. Until then, much of the humor is "dude gets high, accomplishes nothing". I get why they did it...two fan bases instead of one, and it's not like it's hard to do....but the movie definitely suffered.

I have to disagree. In the first 30 minutes we get a hanging from some dwarves, a prince who brings home a decapitated one-eyed monster's head, and an evil wizard who crashes a wedding with dark magic. Really, the element of fantasy is pretty strong throughout the entire thing.