PDA

View Full Version : Runequest?

onthetown
2011-03-30, 03:59 PM
My friend was talking about Runequest a few weeks ago and some of the fun campaigns she'd had, so we decided to set something up with her dad since he regularly DMs it.

This Friday is when we're supposed to start, and I just have to wonder... What is Runequest? I've never heard of it before this, I haven't looked at any of the books or rules yet, so I don't know what I'm getting into. The most I know is that there are gods for everything, including brothels, and you can pretty much do whatever you want. And you're aspiring to be a Runelord or something.

So.. yeah. What is it that we're going to be playing?

JonestheSpy
2011-03-30, 06:15 PM
Runequest was my favorite system for years - gradually lost interest after Chaosium's ill-favored sale of the game to Avalon Hill. The system is all based on d100 instead of d20, without classes. Anyone can be good at anything they study and practice, including magic, though of course your basic stats are going to effect what you're good at.

What made Runequest so amazing was the setting, Glorantha. Easily the most interesting and original game world in the history of the hobby, in my opinion. Chaosium published lots of amazing, detailed adventures and campaigns set there. Too detailed to give a decent impression of here, just search for 'Glorantha' and you should find plenty of background.

Greylond
2011-03-30, 07:32 PM
Runequest is based on BRP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_Role-Playing) ...well, actually the other way around...

There are some slight differences but if you read up on BRP you will be familiar with the basics. Of course a lot of people that I've known to GM it have various house rules. But like I said, a good basic reading would be the base system which you can find here;

http://www.basicrps.com/core/index.html

Talkkno
2011-03-31, 04:57 AM
The latest version out by Moongoose is pretty good, though the artwork is pretty bad.

Hopeless
2011-04-03, 05:54 AM
And don't forget about the ducks... because they certainly won't let you!

My Runequest character is Drake a Duck and no he isn't a thief, its just coincedence he just happens to find all of the money, gems, power crystals... and he does share... well within reason of course!

Currently bought up as many potions as he could, even got an exchange of a healing potion for some sleeping draught a former enemy had...

Armed with a spear, scimitar, silver dagger, self bow (currently not in use since he can't hit the side of a mountain with it and yes the chaos beast he used it on was alot closer than said mountain and fortunately didn't notice...)

The party consists of a human barbarian woman riding a llama, a paladin of Humakt who doesn't trust me (Can't imagine why... I haven't robbed them after all, ah forget that last part!) and a shaman of Vashalla who I recently repaid a debt ten fold mostly because I'm lousy at trading!

You'll have lots of fun in case you were wondering just remember there's never enough protection when you need it, healing potions are vital if you do plan on fighting and remember that any skill you succeed at gets ticked and maybe, just maybe it'll improve since the dm in the game I'm in does all of those rolls which is probably better since I'm using the new dice I got last xmas and boy does it dislike high numbers (and low numbers)!

PS: Dice exorcism in progress...