PDA

View Full Version : Leadership (3.5) - who plays who?

Laniius
2011-03-30, 06:21 PM
I want to have a single cohort using the leadership feat. I have a +4 to my charisma, and my level is 12, so I can have a cohort of up to level 10. Problem: I haven't run it by my DM yet, but a friend of mine is saying that the DM runs the cohort. If so, I don't want it - I'm being a tibbit, and will be acting as if I am the familiar to my cohort; essentially to the party unless something goes awry, my cohort will be the character I'm playing. Are there any rules saying who plays the cohort or followers with the leadership feat? All I have is www.d20srd.org and it doesn't say.

Edit: Never mind. Found it. "A cohort
is effectively another PC in the party under that player’s control." page 106 (cracked open a friend's DMG)

Now what is a good fighty type character to have as a cohort that can reasonably have a familiar (i.e. me) he doesn't have to have the obtain familiar feat, he just has to have some arcane abilities so he could if he wanted to. I'm primarily a sneak in this campaign, and am replacing my front line fighter with this sneak. So if I have a guy who can take the front line fighter's place, the party isn't being adversely affected.

Jarian
2011-03-30, 06:23 PM
Short answer: ask your DM.

There aren't any rules for who controls the cohort. If your concept is based around you needing to control the cohort, you should explain that to your DM and see what they say.

Leadership is a stupidly powerful feat however. Be careful with it.

Edit: Well I'll be. Warning still stands, however.

Laniius
2011-03-30, 06:31 PM

There aren't any rules for who controls the cohort. If your concept is based around you needing to control the cohort, you should explain that to your DM and see what they say.

Leadership is a stupidly powerful feat however. Be careful with it.

I intend to be careful with it in that I will only ever have 1 and will do my best to prevent his getting killed. I'm not gonna bother with the multiple cohorts or followers. I'm viewing him as a fancy animal companion/familiar.

IthroZada
2011-03-30, 06:36 PM
Well, Duskblade is a fighty arcane sort.

Laniius
2011-03-30, 06:46 PM
Well, Duskblade is a fighty arcane sort.

Actually, ya. That's perfect for what I want. Capable of taking the front line, has spells, and simple to play so he won't take away from the rest of the group. Thanks.

Thurbane
2011-03-30, 06:48 PM

There aren't any rules for who controls the cohort.
This, pretty much.

In my personal experience, Leadership seems to work best when the DM runs the cohort as an NPC who is extremely favorable to his leader. He still has the right to say "no" to unreasonable requests or orders.

In a small group (less than, say, 4 PCs) it should be OK for the player to run the cohort as a 2nd PC.

Both of the above depend heavily of the dynamic of the group, and how experienced the players and DM are. Leadership seems to be at it's most problematic when a (relatively) inexperienced DM allows it, and the player generates a twinked out cohort who's sole reason for existing is to boost the players primary character. In large group, giving a character extra actions per round via a cohort can be a pain (similarly to a Druid and his companion)...

Epsilon Rose
2011-03-30, 07:18 PM
Ranger could work or depending on how you play things and bluff certain types of warlock, binder and psiwar could probably pull it off without raising eyebrows.

KeepU
2011-03-30, 07:36 PM
Another build for a fighter who would have a familiar is fighter 4, sorcerer 2, abjurant champion 5, eldritch knight to 20, with practiced spellcaster s/he will have full caster level (though progression is 4 levels behind) and 19 base attack at 20. Don't forget to ask your dm about casting mage armor as an abjuration if you go this route.