PDA

View Full Version : Helping a dumb character

Major
2011-03-30, 07:31 PM
Alright, so in the game I'm running there are two characters that I need help with.

The first is a gullible, dumb, stupid character. The player is smart and knows better, but roleplays exactly how her character would act (this is good.)

The second is a mischievous, cunning, lying, sneaky, bitch who only cares about herself and pranking others.

Now then, the second character has the first convinced that they are both good friends. The first character believes anything the second says and really likes the second. The second exploits this by conning the first character out of gold and items every so often. Claiming she is donating to charity, saving kittens, etc.

Neither player has a problem with this. The first one loves her dumb silly character and could care less about optimization. The second also doesn't care about optimization and only enjoys the money cause it is fun conning people.

Now, neither player has a problem with this, but at the same time how should I deal with this in game? Left unchecked the second player could potentially reach almost double her wealth by level.

I don't want to tell them to stop because hey, its fun role playing and they do it very humorously and everyone loves the comedic acts because of the silliness. At the same time I feel I should have some limit so it doesn't leave the first character with nothing and the second one rolling in gold.

Demidos
2011-03-30, 07:33 PM
Make an item only usable by the first, that is priced in such a way that it would be a waste to sell it?:smalltongue:

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-30, 07:43 PM
Laugh? I mean, seriously. What's the harm?

Major
2011-03-30, 07:49 PM
No harm really...though at higher levels you will have one player with hardly any WBL (except in items that are specifically given to them) versus one player who has more than WBL.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-30, 07:54 PM
The players are fine with it, so I doubt you have anything to worry for.

What, are you worried the one with gold will suddenly start optimizing?

Major
2011-03-30, 07:55 PM
Alright, fair enough, I don't see either optimizing cause everyone in the group loves roleplaying more than anything else. I was planning on leaving it alone, but wanted Playground's opinion.

Metahuman1
2011-03-30, 08:40 PM
I don't think you need to worry about this yet. Form the sound of it, it's fine.

If it starts getting too a point that the mentally challenged character is running a risk of dyeing due too not having sufficient gear, DM intervene it if needed (Roll attacks behind the screen and forget that critical that would have put her into Negative hit points, have a party of NPC's rescue them form an opponent who proved a bit stronger then intended and lead to negative consistences, ext. ).

Major
2011-03-30, 08:43 PM
I highly doubt I have to worry about optimization when one is a half-dragon rogue/beguiler. And the other is a warlock who doesn't wear any armor at all and carries no weapons using only Elderith Blast in combat.

Qwertystop
2011-03-30, 08:43 PM
Maybe have the dumb character find an intelligent item, and give it a high Intelligence and Ego. It'll protest loudly when given away to someone it can't control.