PDA

View Full Version : Cyberpunk Time! Help me get my hands on a cool system!

NekoJoker
2011-03-30, 09:19 PM
OK, so practically what says on the tin.

I'm in the mood to try a Cyberpunk PnP RPG System, I have been browsing some Shadowrun books already, but although I loved the SEGA game and I really like the setting so far... I have mixed feelings about it... It sort of feels a bit like "D&D: IN THE FUTURE" so I would like to see if the playground can give me any advice on this matter.

I have read a few names a couple of times like Cyberpunk, D20 Modern, and to some extent; Paranoia. But I have not tryed to get any of their respective books yet.

You guys MUST know of some cools settings. Care to shed some light on this humble beign?

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-03-30, 09:25 PM
I don't know where you're getting the "D&D in the Future" vibe from Shadowrun from - that said I'm only familiar with SR4 but I'm still quite certain that SR1-3 are also quite different, mechanically and stylistically, from D&D.

I recently wrapped an SR4 campaign and let me tell you, it was a blast. I was playing a hacker/gunbunny and had a wonderful time.

Science Officer
2011-03-30, 09:36 PM
Shadowrun may sound like D&D in the future, but it doesn't play like it.
(well, I suppose it could, depending how you play it)
its really got a feel all it's own, its own special blend of influences, which D&D might rank among.

Paranoia seems the odd one out in your list. It's not quite cyberpunk in the way that CP2020 and SR are cyberpunk. I played it once, had great fun, but as I good citizen have no knowledge of the rules.

DontEatRawHagis
2011-03-30, 09:51 PM
I have read a few names a couple of times like Cyberpunk, D20 Modern, and to some extent; Paranoia. But I have not tried to get any of their respective books yet.

You guys MUST know of some cools settings. Care to shed some light on this humble being?

Cyberpunk 2020 and V3. Ive found that these systems are pretty hard to understand.

D20 Modern is really good if you know DnD already. But I don't know if it has a hacking system.

Paranoia is alright for a Dystopian game, but its very light on seriousness when it comes to stats(Moxy is a stat for pete's sake).

Spycraft 2.0 has a good spy and hacker feel. But hacking is based off of chase sequences.

Future Hacker - Cyberpunk 2020; Paranoia
Modern Hacker - Spycraft 2.0
Fantasy Hacker - Shadowrun

SurlySeraph
2011-03-30, 10:00 PM
Shadowrun tends to have a much heavier emphasis on careful planning and teamwork than DnD. I'm not a fan of it, mostly because of the setting, but plenty of people love it.

Eclipse Phase can work for a cyberpunk game, it's very focused on transhumanist themes and biomodification. By default it's more like Lovecraftian horror in space, though.

d20 Modern/ Future is workable, but the books that would be useful for running cyberpunk with it (Cyberspace and Future Tech) aren't all that good. And it doesn't really do gritty well.

I've heard good things about Interface Zero, which uses True20, but I haven't read it myself.

Paranoia's not cyberpunk at all; it's a dystopian parody. Think 1984 plus Douglas Adams.

Seerow
2011-03-30, 10:26 PM
I'm curious as to how you figure shadowrun is D&D in the future? Is it because of the goblinization and magic? Because honestly, you can remove metatypes and magic from the game completely, and it's still wholly playable, though you'd be cutting out a huge chunk of options, it would no longer look anything like D&D in the least.

Fhaolan
2011-03-31, 12:24 AM
I can see how you can think of Shadowrun and D&D having similar 'feels' at first glance, as earlier editions of Shadowrun had the same basic ruleset as Earthdawn. And when 4e D&D first came out, it did feel a lot like another edition of Earthdawn to me rather than D&D. It doesn't play much like Earthdawn in practice, but there are some commonalities that can give that impression.

In any case, I recommend getting ahold of some older Cyberpunk games like Cyberpunk 2013 (usually just titled Cyberpunk). Maybe even Cyberpunk 2020, but to be honest that edition felt like it lost something. I'm not entirely sure what though. And the follow-on editions like Firestorm and so on *really* didn't work for me.

Zen Master
2011-03-31, 02:43 AM
Shadowrun combines cyber punk with fantasy elements like elves and dragons. Nothing is lost by simply removing or de-emphasizing those elements tho.

Shadowrun has two main challenges: Firstly, the system does not hold water, math-wise, secondly magic is completely overpowered. Basically, no non-mage has even a smidgen of chance against a mage ... without help from a mage.

Also, the system is built in a way that, should npc's ever gain surprise on pc's - it's basically time to reroll. In other words it's pretty much rocket tag, so make sure you have initiative.

But even with all those flaws, I've played hours and hours of SR, and had great fun with it.

The Big Dice
2011-03-31, 03:58 AM
Cyberpunk 2020 is the way to go. The system isn't complicated, but there are a few holes that a GM would need to patch. Like what does Dodge do and how do you throw a grenade. But everything is rated out of 10 and the core mechanic is add skill+stat, roll D10 with a 10 being an open ended roll. DC 5 is very easy, DC 30 (needing a 10 in skill and stat, plus one on the dice) is almost impossible.

There's no magic, which is good in my book. None of that modern European fantasy elements coming about because of the Mayan calendar. Instead it's technology overload. Especially if you can also turn up the Chrome books.

There's a good selection of stuff on Drivethrurpg. Including Night City, one of the best city sourcebooks I've ever seen and a selection of some classic modules. And even Night's Edge, a third party book that introduces vampires and werewolves. No doubt inspired by a game with 'the' in the name, but still good stuff.

Earthwalker
2011-03-31, 04:28 AM
If you are not keen on the magical and fantasy stuff I would say CP2020 is the way to go. I would prefer to play that of Shadowrun without the magic.

Of course if you don't mind the magic then I would go for shadowrun.

I do like shadowrun but most of my experiance is pre 4e.

DontEatRawHagis
2011-03-31, 12:50 PM
Heres what you do. Get a modern RPG.

If you want Cyber space in the form of a Matrix-esque world, tell the players that all their Attributes are switched in the game. Con and Charisma stay the same but Strength and Dex get replaced with Intelligence and Wisdom. If your world has guns over swords then Dex should be replaced with Intelligence.

This way the Nerdy guy that doesn't do anything is a complete bad ass in the Vitual world.