PDA

View Full Version : Starting Supplies

Major
2011-03-31, 02:54 AM
So, I've looked all over for a handy guidebook and was surprised that I couldn't find one. (The closest was the Utility Belt Handbook).

What do you all consider "necessary" in regards to supplies for a level one adventurer?

I'm not used to starting at level one and I'll be in a campaign soon that starts there. I've got my weapons, got my armor, but now its the tiny stuff.

So far I got...

Traveler's outfit (1gp)
Backpack (2gp)
Bedroll (1sp)
Crowbar (2gp) <-should I keep this?
Trail Rations x7 (35sp)
Clear Water Tablets x5 (5gp)
Sunrod x5 (10gp)

What would you recommend I get for storing water? I have clear water tablets, but not sure which of the many items to get to hold my water.

The character is an adventurer. She wanders around and such, not finished full backstory.

Anyways, what other starting items should I carry on her?

NNescio
2011-03-31, 03:44 AM
So, I've looked all over for a handy guidebook and was surprised that I couldn't find one. (The closest was the Utility Belt Handbook).

What do you all consider "necessary" in regards to supplies for a level one adventurer?

I'm not used to starting at level one and I'll be in a campaign soon that starts there. I've got my weapons, got my armor, but now its the tiny stuff.

So far I got...

Traveler's outfit (1gp)
Backpack (2gp)
Bedroll (1sp)
Crowbar (2gp) <-should I keep this?
Trail Rations x7 (35sp)
Clear Water Tablets x5 (5gp)
Sunrod x5 (10gp)

What would you recommend I get for storing water? I have clear water tablets, but not sure which of the many items to get to hold my water.

The character is an adventurer. She wanders around and such, not finished full backstory.

Anyways, what other starting items should I carry on her?

Waterskin.

Also, bag of marbles.(from Arms and Equipment Guide), caltrops, torches (or even better, a lantern), oil flasks (even if you don't have a lantern), 10-ft pole (or the collapsible version from Dungeonscape, which can extend up to 12-ft), rope (silk if possible), flour pouches (Dungeonscape), caltrops, candles, candle wicks (Arms and Equipment Guide, can also double as string) soap, lard (Dungeonscape), chalk, flint & steel, garlic (Arms and Equipment guide), insectbane candles, a winter blanket, towel (square yard of linen), sacks, and empty flasks.

Grab a mule with a pack saddle as well, those are cheap.

Oh, and a ranged weapon plus ammunition no matter what class you are.

Later on you might want to look into alchemical items like antitoxin, tanglefoot bags, acid flasks, and alchemical fire. Eggshell grenades (Oriental Adventures) are also brokenly good.

Blessed bandages (Magic Item Compendium) are really good at low levels for emergencies. (auto-stabilizes a dying ally as a standard action.)

Major
2011-03-31, 03:55 AM
Why a torch when I have the sunrods? Same with oil.

Edit: (Hit enter too soon)
I'll use my glaive for a 10-foot-pole.

Caltrops and marbles are a good idea. Rope is a good idea.

Why candles and candlewicks?
Why flour pouches, soap, lard, chalk, flint & steel, garlic?
Insect candle isn't bad, though I'm low on cash now.

Also, I got a longbow and arrows. Though due to money I might drop it down to a short bow...

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=287115
I realize a factotum doesn't NEED all those weapons, but backstory has her wandering as a lone adventurer before she joins and such.

NNescio
2011-03-31, 04:07 AM
Why a torch when I have the sunrods? Same with oil.

Torches are dirt cheap and can actually set things on fire. Also useful as an emergency weapon against swarms, if you are really desperate.

Oil is flammable. It can be prepped to be used as a poor man's Alchemist fire, or poured on the ground to be lit later.

Fire is always a good thing to have around.

Sunrods are still good to have around though, since they can be lit easily.

Edit:
Candles: Let wizards prepare spells. Also useful for reading.
Candle wicks: Delayed fuse, timing devices (30 seconds per inch), and can be used as string. (Tripwires, tie smaller things together, alarm systems, etc.)
Flour pouches: Lets you track invisible creatures. Can also be used as food.
Soap: For washing and avoiding circumstance penalties to Diplomacy. Might not be that useful, but if you are tracking food and drink anyway why not?
Lard: Improvised grease. (might not be necessary if you can persuade your DM to let you use oil for the same effect, and the latter can be poured faster anyway.)
Chalk: Chalk marks are useful for tracking.
Flint & steel: For lighting fires.
Garlic: Here's an interesting monster entry. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm) Also dirt cheap.

Major
2011-03-31, 04:09 AM
Well I edited to show my character sheet and such and I only got a few gold coins left. Any suggestions on things to move around, keep, get rid of, add, etc?

I like a lot of those ideas, but can't get them all.

Edit: Decreased to shotbow. Only a little difference, but lots more gold

NNescio
2011-03-31, 04:19 AM
Well I edited to show my character sheet and such and I only got a few gold coins left. Any suggestions on things to move around, keep, get rid of, add, etc?

I like a lot of those ideas, but can't get them all.

Edit: Decreased to shotbow. Only a little difference, but lots more gold

Drop the halberd? It's also kinda... heavy.

Also, consider getting a dagger. Useful for cutting stuff, unless you want to resort to your boot blade.

Major
2011-03-31, 04:24 AM
Well I picked the halberd to cut back on weapons. It gave me piercing and slashing as well as a 1d10. I figured that was a better option as the man weapon than a short sword.

I will add an extra dagger for cutting. Boot dagger would be weird to cut with.

I got a good 35 gold extra by dropping to a short bow, so I added most the things you suggested and updated the sheet.

NNescio
2011-03-31, 04:28 AM
Well I picked the halberd to cut back on weapons. It gave me piercing and slashing as well as a 1d10. I figured that was a better option as the man weapon than a short sword.

I will add an extra dagger for cutting. Boot dagger would be weird to cut with.

I got a good 35 gold extra by dropping to a short bow, so I added most the things you suggested and updated the sheet.

Arrows are also piercing.

Edit:
Garlic is very circumstantial, but they only cost 1cp.

Flint & steel is also required for fire. Tindertwig is better, but it's more expensive. I don't think the sunrods can be used to light things on fire.

Major
2011-03-31, 04:34 AM
So far I got everything except...

Candles: Don't prepare spells, so not as big a deal
Candle wicks: Not a bad idea I guess. Might wait on that one though.
Soap: Understandable, might wait though
Chalk: Also useable but might wait.
Lantern: Do I need with all the other torches, sunrods, etc?

Arrows are piercing sure, but I figured when I need to melee having a versitile weapon was useful. Bows I gotta hide in the back. Plus its not that expensive and with the shortbow change I am now good on money with 32gp (might buy those things above I just listed)

Edit: Bought soap and chalk, cuz why not they are super cheap. Will do same with candles I guess. Where is candle wick?
Edit2: Nevermind under W for wick, not c for candle.

NNescio
2011-03-31, 04:44 AM
So far I got everything except...

Candles: Don't prepare spells, so not as big a deal
Candle wicks: Not a bad idea I guess. Might wait on that one though.
Soap: Understandable, might wait though
Chalk: Also useable but might wait.
Lantern: Do I need with all the other torches, sunrods, etc?

Arrows are piercing sure, but I figured when I need to melee having a versitile weapon was useful. Bows I gotta hide in the back. Plus its not that expensive and with the shortbow change I am now good on money with 32gp (might buy those things above I just listed)

A lantern is probably unnecessary at this point. Might be something good to consider later on, if you need the increased illumination radius. The bullseye lantern can also be used for a nasty trick when combined with the spell (or spell-like, in your case) Pyrotechnics.

Dungeonscape also has the infamous bouncing rubber ball. Useful for scouting and triggering some potential traps. Can also be combined with Symbol of Insanity later on.

Major
2011-03-31, 04:47 AM
Oh, I never thought of that use for the bouncing ball. *adds*

The lantern I don't see a need for. I have low-light vision as well as plenty of other sources of light. Bullseye would give me a little farther, but seems a bit unneeded.

NNescio
2011-03-31, 04:54 AM
Oh, I never thought of that use for the bouncing ball. *adds*

The lantern I don't see a need for. I have low-light vision as well as plenty of other sources of light. Bullseye would give me a little farther, but seems a bit unneeded.

Seems all set to me. Also, here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101) an interesting thread if you need a reference for future purchases.

Edit: If you regularly perform Disable Device and/or Open Locks checks, you might want to grab some thieves' tools (preferably masterwork) when you can afford them. You can probably get by with improvised tools (-2 circumstance penalties) since you're a Factotum, but skill bonuses are always nice to have.

Doomboy911
2011-03-31, 06:07 AM
A nifty trick I came up with. You get a crowbar (buy it) ram it into the door than tie a rope around it, back up a little than pull on the rope. Door breaks open traps in it go off...all the way over there. Proceed through door.

Use one of the Bard's many creedos for purchasing."The mundane stuff are like bard's cheap,easy to use, and essential to the group."

ericgrau
2011-03-31, 10:51 AM
Search again with terms like "level one equipment". I'm sure this has been covered a few times. Basically you want water, food, light. Some +2 tools for breaking doors or skills or etc. are nice too. A cure light wounds potion, alchemical items and oil are also nice.