PDA

View Full Version : What type of action is an attack of opportunity?

Saph
2011-03-31, 10:05 AM
. . . and is it even an action at all?

This occurred to me a while back. Attacks of opportunity are defined here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm):

Sometimes a combatant in a melee lets her guard down. In this case, combatants near her can take advantage of her lapse in defense to attack her for free. These free attacks are called attacks of opportunity . . .

An attack of opportunity is a single melee attack, and you can only make one per round.
However, if you look up the list of actions in combat here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm), AoOs aren't listed under any of the action categories. They seem to have the most in common with free actions or immediate actions, but they aren't quite the same as either. They don't really fit into any of the types.

So does that mean AoOs aren't actions at all? If it does, then that has some fairly big implications - conditions like Dazed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#dazed) or Stunned (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#stunned) prevent you from taking actions, but don't specifically stop you from taking AoOs. This would make AoO melee builds much more dangerous, as it becomes almost impossible to stop them from AoOing you no matter what you hit them with.

Thoughts?

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-31, 10:06 AM
It is an attack of opportunity action. It has its own rules regarding its use, but it is still an action. Technically.

Saph
2011-03-31, 10:11 AM
I'm not actually sure it is.

If you look up the list of action types (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#actionTypes), it says:

There are six types of actions: standard actions, move actions, full-round actions, free actions, swift actions, and immediate actions.

So strictly speaking, if an AoO isn't any of those, it's not an action. (There is in fact a seventh 'Not an Action' category on the list.)

Anyone know if the Rules Compendium updated this?

Feytalist
2011-03-31, 10:20 AM
I sincerely doubt, from a logic standpoint, that you would be allowed to make an AoO while stunned or dazed.

I would rule an AoO is a free action, usable once per round (unless Combat Reflexes), that does not interfere with any other free action you may or may not take.

ericgrau
2011-03-31, 10:24 AM
It's an attack, or attack action if that helps you conceptualize it. You may use it to deal damage, disarm, trip, initiate a grapple, sunder or anything else that may be done with an attack. You may not use it for other attacks that are described as a standard action, i.e., anything that couldn't be done as part of a full attack. So yes, it is an action. Consider an attack of opportunity another way to get extra actions, like time stop or contingency or celerity, not a special action type.

I believe this is also covered in the FAQ somewhere.

Forbiddenwar
2011-03-31, 10:24 AM
Free Attack- Free Action?
Once per round- Swift Action?
On opponent turn- Immediate Action

Sounds like an immediate action to me.

An immediate action is very similar to a swift action, but can be performed at any time — even if it's not your turn.

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-31, 10:26 AM
Free Attack- Free Action?
Once per round- Swift Action?
On opponent turn- Immediate Action

Sounds like an immediate action to me.

Except you can have more than one AoO per turn, and it doesn't prevent you from using other immediate actions or swift actions.

term1nally s1ck
2011-03-31, 10:27 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#take5FootStep

5' step is apparently 'No Action', and AoOs were updated to the same thing in RComp.

So by RAW, you can AoO and 5' step no matter what.

Curmudgeon
2011-03-31, 10:53 AM
I would rule an AoO is a free action, usable once per round (unless Combat Reflexes), that does not interfere with any other free action you may or may not take.
You would rule counter to the RAW, then. Barring specific exceptions, free actions may only be performed on your turn ─ but all AoOs are performed on other characters' turns. So your categorization just plain stops all AoOs entirely.

Additionally, DMs may limit free actions, but the rules don't say anything about them being allowed to limit attacks of opportunity; AoOs are restricted by other rules, and there are feats which can reduce or remove those restrictions.

Jack Zander
2011-03-31, 10:59 AM
An attack of opportunity is not an action. There is simply no other conclusion that can be made. However, attacks of opportunity have very specific rules about them and as such you wouldn't be able to perform this non-action whenever you wanted. you may only perform it when the trigger is met. Thus, unless you can threaten an area while stunned or such, you won't be able to abuse this in any way.

begooler
2011-03-31, 11:01 AM
Obviously whatever the Rules Compendium says is correct, but this is the house rule we made up during combat one day instead of looking it up:

AoO= Immediate action- counts as your swift action for your next turn if you already used a swift action this turn.

If you expended your swift and immediate actions this turn, you can't make an attack of opportunity. However if you have Combat Reflexes, then you can make your normal amount of AoO's minus 1. The additional AoO from Combat Reflexes don't count towards action economy.

This rule does not mean that Combat Reflexes gives you extra immediate actions, nor does it mean that you can spend swift or immediate actions to get more attacks of opportunity than you are normally allowed.

This has worked pretty well for us, however, certain builds, such as most gish builds, and some martial adept builds would be unhappy with it.

Whammydill
2011-03-31, 11:56 AM
I guess AoO is not an action the same way zero is not a number?

I've always used it like an immediate interrupt that resolves before the action that triggered it. It can be stopped by anything that can stop a standard action since the SRD says "making an attack is a standard action" and "An attack of opportunity is a single melee attack..." Thus I treat them as freebie standard actions that act like immediate actions.

So stunned and dazed means AoO is right out, but if slowed I'd allow an AoO only if you haven't moved since you can only move OR standard action IIRC.

Veyr
2011-03-31, 12:26 PM
The most reasonable way to play it, I think, is that it is its own unique action type. I know there's RAW issues there, but it's the only way I can see to rule it where an AoO retains all of the properties it should have without opening you up to using it when you can't otherwise make actions.

ffone
2011-03-31, 12:35 PM
This has worked pretty well for us, however, certain builds, such as most gish builds, and some martial adept builds would be unhappy with it.

Well yeah. And anyone with swift-action magic items. Or Quickened spells. Or featherfall or any other swift/immediate spell.

What's the point of this rule? Just to make the 'action taxonomy' seem more complete? If your goal is to make a new type of action, so that everything is an action, just define them as 'opportunity actions' or somesuch.

VirOath
2011-03-31, 12:37 PM
Looking at it now, I don't see an AoO as an action at all. Rather, a set of conditions that provides an Attack Action, much in the way that a Belt Of Battle provides extra actions.

So if this is true, and that AoO is a method of getting actions beyond the basic action economy, then you can get an AoO while under a condition that prevents or limits actions, like slow unless it states otherwise.

But, you need to threaten squares and be counted as armed. If you are Dazed, do you still count as threatening squares? If you have Mage Slayer(IIRC) and are Dazed next a spellcaster, are they still under the conditions of the feat?

And the second problem arises, if an AoO only provides the actions rather than being an action, you still need to be able to use those actions. So while you might get the actions, Daze would still stop you from using them.

Curmudgeon
2011-03-31, 12:42 PM
But, you need to threaten squares and be counted as armed. If you are Dazed, do you still count as threatening squares?
No. Even though an AoO is "not an action", to threaten you still need to be able to attack normally without leaving your current space. The dazed creature can't leave their space, but they also can't attack normally.
Dazed

The creature is unable to act normally. A dazed creature can take no actions, but has no penalty to AC.

NNescio
2011-03-31, 02:42 PM
It's an attack, or attack action if that helps you conceptualize it. You may use it to deal damage, disarm, trip, initiate a grapple, sunder or anything else that may be done with an attack. You may not use it for other attacks that are described as a standard action, i.e., anything that couldn't be done as part of a full attack. So yes, it is an action. Consider an attack of opportunity another way to get extra actions, like time stop or contingency or celerity, not a special action type.

I believe this is also covered in the FAQ somewhere.

If AoOs are attack actions, then wouldn't they work with Stone Power?

Zaq
2011-03-31, 02:47 PM
If AoOs are attack actions, then wouldn't they work with Stone Power?

They work with Power Attack. Why not with Stone Power? (Disclaimer: I don't have ToB in front of me right now, so I don't know how different Stone Power's wording is to that of PA.)

Moriato
2011-03-31, 04:37 PM
So does that mean AoOs aren't actions at all? If it does, then that has some fairly big implications - conditions like Dazed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#dazed) or Stunned (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#stunned) prevent you from taking actions, but don't specifically stop you from taking AoOs. This would make AoO melee builds much more dangerous, as it becomes almost impossible to stop them from AoOing you no matter what you hit them with.

Ah, but in order to make an attack of opportunity you have to threaten an area:

Threatened Squares
You threaten all squares into which you can make a melee attack, even when it is not your action.

When you're stunned or dazed you can't make a melee attack, so you don't threaten an area, so you can't make AoOs, even if they're not an "action".

Edit: Missed Curmudgeon's second post somehow. Anyway, that's correct. Stunned and Dazed will prevent you from making AoO's whether they're actions or not

ericgrau
2011-03-31, 06:36 PM
They work with Power Attack. Why not with Stone Power? (Disclaimer: I don't have ToB in front of me right now, so I don't know how different Stone Power's wording is to that of PA.)

True though power attack says "On your action, before making attack rolls for a round". Thus you have to declare the power attack on your turn even though it lasts for all your attacks of opportunity. Dunno what the wording of Stone Power says.

NNescio
2011-03-31, 06:47 PM
True though power attack says "On your action, before making attack rolls for a round". Thus you have to declare the power attack on your turn even though it lasts for all your attacks of opportunity. Dunno what the wording of Stone Power says.

Stone Power: When you use an attack action or a full attack action, or you initiate a Stone Dragon strike in melee combat, you can take a penalty of as much as -5 on your attack rolls. This number cannot exceed your base attack bonus. You gain temporary hit points equal to twice the number that you subtract from your attack rolls. (to a maximum of 10) These temporary hit points last until the beginning of your next turn.

Note that the penalty to attack doesn't apply to off-turn attacks, unlike Power Attack.

Power Attack: On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage apply until your next turn.

Note that Power Attack can't be activated (or modified) on off-turn attacks.

If AoOs are "attack actions", then Stone Power can also be activated on AoOs, which makes it markedly more powerful.

Curmudgeon
2011-03-31, 06:57 PM
If AoOs are "attack actions", then Stone Power can also be activated on AoOs, which makes it markedly more powerful.
Since the term "attack action" is never actually defined in the D&D game, I think it has to be allowed to apply whenever that makes sense. So any of the following:

standard action attack
full attack action (the only option where the exact phrase is found)
attack of opportunity
bonus attack, such as granted by Improved Trip

Bascaria
2011-03-31, 06:58 PM
Quote:
"Threatened Squares
You threaten all squares into which you can make a melee attack, even when it is not your action."

When you're stunned or dazed you can't make a melee attack, so you don't threaten an area, so you can't make AoOs, even if they're not an "action".

The rules for threatening a square just say that you have to be able to make a melee attack into a square, not that you have to be able to take a melee attack action to attack a square--which is what stunning prevents. An attack of opportunity is a melee attack, so it would threaten a square.

So you still haven't really answered the question of whether or not a stunned person can make an AoO. If the AoO is itself not an action (and thus a stunned person could take one) then the AoO would generate the threat necessary to make the AoO.

(edit: edited the quoted section to make it clear what you had said, and what was you quoting RAW)

ericgrau
2011-03-31, 07:08 PM
Note that the penalty to attack doesn't apply to off-turn attacks, unlike Power Attack.

Note that Power Attack can't be activated (or modified) on off-turn attacks.

Well "attack action" was only conceptual. The proper term is "attack" (which is still an action type that covers damage, tripping, etc.) for AoOs. Otherwise you could use stone power on each of the attacks in your full attack, which isn't so. The feat description is a bit ambiguous but I think it's referring to standard action attacks when it says "attack action". Otherwise it would have said "when you make an attack", which would apply to AoOs and then also apply to each and every attack in a full attack.

So IMO, besides Stone Dragon strikes, stone power only works on standard action attacks, full round action attacks, as described in the PHB. And not other attacks that happen to take a standard or full round action. I believe it refers to these as "attack action" and "full attack action" respectively.