PDA

View Full Version : Belkar's magic

Barstro
2011-03-31, 11:42 AM
I was unable to find information that I felt gave a definitive answer for this question. But, I don't have any books to go by, just the internet.

Belkar is assumed to have Wis of 9, and could cast a second(?) level scroll as long as he had Owl's Wisdom.

If Belkar had an item that provided constant +4 Wisdom, would he be able to select and learn spells, or would he be limited to casting from scrolls/items?

Quietus
2011-03-31, 11:44 AM
If he had, say, a periapt of wis +4? He could prepare spells in the morning, as with his heightened Wisdom, but he'd lose access to them if he lost his periapt.

Yora
2011-03-31, 11:47 AM
As a ranger you don't learn spells. You just have them, and I even assume can memorize them with a Wisdom score of 10 or lower. You only really need Wis 11+ to actually cast the spells. And I'd say having a permanent +4 magical item qualifies for having the neccessary ability score.

In other cases, it's not that clear. Can you take a feat with an ability score requirement which you can only meet with magical items? Hard to say.
But for casting spells, I'd say yes. No problem with that.

Psyren
2011-03-31, 11:48 AM
Can you take a feat with an ability score requirement which you can only meet with magical items? Hard to say.

Given that you can qualify for PrCs via items, I'd say feats are logically acceptable too. (With the caveat that you need the item handy to maintain access.)

Yora
2011-03-31, 11:49 AM
In that case, yes.
But where did you get that piece of information?

Psyren
2011-03-31, 12:04 PM
In that case, yes.
But where did you get that piece of information?

From Complete Warrior, pg. 17:

Meeting Class Requirements: It's possible for a character to take levels in a prestige class and later be in a position where the character no longer qualifies to be a member of the class. An alignment change, levels lost because of character death, or the loss of a magic item that granted an important ability are examples of events that can make a character ineligible to advance farther in a prestige class.

As the underlined portion indicates, losing a magic item that made you qualify for a PrC makes you stop qualifying. Thus, items (or rather, the abilities they grant) can be used to qualify.

Barstro
2011-03-31, 12:16 PM
As a ranger you don't learn spells.

Ah. I missed the "prepares... the way a cleric does". Makes sense.