PDA

View Full Version : Selling my 3.5 Collection

Thunder Hammer
2011-03-31, 01:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

Since I'm not sure I'm allowed to list my books here, I'm selling my D&D 3.X collection through rpg.net at:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?568906-D-amp-D-3.5-Collection-(individual)-and-Exalted-2E-collection-(as-lot)&p=13723045#post13723045

I'm a reasonably experienced ebay buyer and seller, my profile is max_nevill if you wish to look me up. I live one mile from the US border, so can offer domestic Canadian and US shipping. Items will be sent media mail (the most inexpensive) in the US, and Parcel Post in Canada, if you want a faster shipping method, please ask and I will adjust the price. I am willing to ship to Europe, though I'll have to look up the cheapest way to send my books to you. At the moment I do not have pictures, I will be taking some soon (and sooner if they are asked for.)

I accept paypal, unless you live in/near Vancouver area and want to come to my house and pay me in cash and do a pick up. I live in east Abbotsford.

As a note: I may be open to offers below my asking price, just PM me.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-31, 01:23 PM
That's quite the collection. Mind if I ask why you're selling them?

Thunder Hammer
2011-03-31, 03:24 PM
That's quite the collection. Mind if I ask why you're selling them?

Good question.

I've already got a "large" collection of other RPGs that I want to play more. (Scion, Star Wars Saga Edition, Ars Magica, Rogue Trader, Mutants and Masterminds). I have ideas and material that will last for years.

My last group moved on to Wu-Shu and my new group are huge fans of Ars Magica.

I also realized I was hanging on to the D&D books thinking "I just gotta wait for my kids to grow up so I can play these games with them." Then I realized, with little kids I'd probably be playing something very simple like Risus, (basically you get your "cliche" or class, in a # of D6's, and your roll your class to see if you can accomplish an action, if your class is capable of it. The game allows for 3 or 4 starting "classes"). And if they want to play an RPG, I have 5 that I'm already super interested in.

And if they really want to play D&D, it will probably be in more like 5 years, with a new version of D&D 5E or Pathfinder 2E and I'll pick one of those games up. I am hanging onto a complete collection of Forgotten Realms 3.X (all 35 or 36 of them) as well. Even then, the games I want to keep are probably going to have new editions in 5-8 years. Like, why don't I just sell everything I don't use? damn, now I need to think on that.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-31, 03:35 PM
I'd say hold on to them. 3.5 books are only going to get harder to find as it gets more and more out of date. They'll only get more valuable, personally and fiscally.

Endarire
2011-03-31, 03:51 PM
I advise you also hold onto them unless you're desperate to sell them now. Maybe your kids will want to learn the rules now. You can start them with the SRD (http://d20srd.org).

Thunder Hammer
2011-03-31, 04:03 PM
I advise you also hold onto them unless you're desperate to sell them now. Maybe your kids will want to learn the rules now. You can start them with the SRD (http://d20srd.org).

Endarire, my son is 3 and daughter 1, sorry for not stating that earlier.

Thunder Hammer
2011-03-31, 04:04 PM
I'd say hold on to them. 3.5 books are only going to get harder to find as it gets more and more out of date. They'll only get more valuable, personally and fiscally.

Maybe? I'm just tired of looking at books that I'm probably never going to use again, and haven't read in a year or two.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-31, 04:12 PM
I guess. I'd kill a man for a ginormous collection of RPG books.

(Ok, this is weird: the spell check apparently thinks that "ginormous" is a word.)

T.G. Oskar
2011-03-31, 04:13 PM
I agree with McBannert; if interested in teaching D&D 3.5 to your children once you reach your age, the books will be harder to find. I mean, it's already hard to find decent hardcover copies of AD&D, no? Also, consider the Edition Wars between 3.x (which is currently supported only by Pathfinder and homebrewing) and 4e/Essentials; the Edition War between 4e and a potential 5th Edition would be similar, and probably by that moment you may see trends in 5th Edition that dissuade you from getting the books.

You should sell them if you find you won't have any use for the books in the extended future, and if you believe other games have what you seek in terms of rules or roleplaying experiences. However, if you're still attached to the system as a whole (and don't count on Pathfinder progressing to a 2nd Edition without changes, that it will remain integral to the 3.x formula; also consider that most of the people that might be interested in 3.x may not be interested in Pathfinder in any of its editions, current or future), then keep the books.

Still, from what I see, it's the first choice; you're clinging to them for no reason, because you've already stated that if you want a D&D-like experience, you have five systems you'll have mastery of when your children play. I find D&D to be less complex than, say, the Storytelling system, but perhaps I could later on find the ST system to be easier or better for my needs. That should be part of your consideration; if you really want them to play D&D AND the SRD is somehow still around, then you can definitely use that and probably homebrew anything missing, in order to refine your 'brewing skills.

Just consider; if you are interested in using the books once again, you may find they're much, much harder to find (esp. if the Forgotten Realms story gains yet another shift; those 36-38 books will help quite a lot). You may want to retain one or two books just for the heck of it, tho.

Thunder Hammer
2011-03-31, 05:06 PM
T.G. Oskar,

You're right, I think I may keep a couple books just for the reading value (Heroes of Battle, Heroes of Horror) as they really set up how to tell a good story and that's what matters. I enjoy 3.X style games, but in the immediate future don't see myself playing in one. Honestly, at some point in the future, I can see myself buying Pathfinder books to scratch my 3.X itch, and you know, that's really ok .

In terms of games with my kids, what I really want to teach them is the RPG hobby as a whole, then they can figure out when they're older which system they really want to play or run games in. If I tell them about D&D and they're eyes get all wide and they say,"THAT SOUNDS AWESOME BUY IT FOR ME DAD!!" then yeah, I will buy whatever is current (whether D&D 4E or Pathfinder) and I'm ok with that.

Thanks for all the advice.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-31, 05:26 PM
No prob. Good luck finding a buyer!

Bakkan
2011-03-31, 05:30 PM
I guess. I'd kill a man for a ginormous collection of RPG books.

(Ok, this is weird: the spell check apparently thinks that "ginormous" is a word.)

Actually, according to Merriam-Webster (http://firstmention.com/ginormous.aspx) it's been a proper English word for nearly four years.

Callista
2011-03-31, 05:34 PM
Old editions of D&D don't become obsolete. There are people still playing all the old ones.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-31, 05:53 PM
Actually, according to Merriam-Webster (http://firstmention.com/ginormous.aspx) it's been a proper English word for nearly four years.

Language is weird.

Warlawk
2011-03-31, 07:37 PM
Maybe? I'm just tired of looking at books that I'm probably never going to use again, and haven't read in a year or two.

Never understood this outlook. I've still got things like MERP, runequest, paranoia, gamma world and such just sitting on my shelf. I can't imagine getting rid of them. Same goes for novels. We just don't get rid of them, ever.

ken-do-nim
2011-03-31, 08:37 PM
Old editions of D&D don't become obsolete. There are people still playing all the old ones.

Some do. 3.0 is mostly obsolete at this point, because it was replaced by 3.5. 3.5 has now been replaced by PF. I can't see someone without an investment in the books getting into 3.5 now over PF. In 5 years, 3.5 games may be scarce. So we'll be left with the editions that are all distinct - which really means that they are separate games with the same name.

slaydemons
2011-03-31, 10:43 PM
Some do. 3.0 is mostly obsolete at this point, because it was replaced by 3.5. 3.5 has now been replaced by PF. I can't see someone without an investment in the books getting into 3.5 now over PF. In 5 years, 3.5 games may be scarce. So we'll be left with the editions that are all distinct - which really means that they are separate games with the same name.

I agree on some but not all of these parts I don't think I will get into pathfinder too much as I can't get their books and my players I highly doubt they would buy any of pathfinder....... so we stick to the copies I own 3.5 though based off what I hear might use somethings from pathfinder if I can find the info.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-01, 09:27 AM

This is my opinion. Some of the books I'm buying from Thunder are second copies, because they get used so much. Drow of the Underdark completes my 3.5 collection, actually. I now own all first party 3.5 sourcebooks...and I'm reasonably certain all 3.0 as well. I still also own a number of 2nd ed books, and a wild selection of other systems.

That said, it does take up a great deal of shelf space. I can understand why someone might have to pare down.

Pathfinder is also a solid choice, IMO.

Callista
2011-04-02, 12:24 PM
3.0 will stick around because it is so easy to convert it to 3.5, and 3.5 will stick around because it's reasonably compatible with Pathfinder.

If you're not playing 3.5 now, why not just box it up and keep it 'til the kids are eight or nine and old enough?

Thunder Hammer
2011-04-03, 02:33 PM
3.0 will stick around because it is so easy to convert it to 3.5, and 3.5 will stick around because it's reasonably compatible with Pathfinder.

If you're not playing 3.5 now, why not just box it up and keep it 'til the kids are eight or nine and old enough?

As mentioned before, I'd rather sell it than look at it. I don't read these books in my spare time, they just sit there. It bothers me. Also, while I enjoyed 3.5 I ended up with so many house-rules I'd rather play PF2.0 in 5 years or D&D 5E or whatever is current that benefits from the most recent game design ideas.

Edited to add: I don't expect to play or run a 3.5 game at all in the near future as well. (By near future, I mean in the next 2 years)

jguy
2011-04-04, 09:56 AM
Question. Are the numbers on the side of the book titles the amount of books you have in stock or the prices?

bokodasu
2011-04-04, 01:03 PM
Just wanted to throw in a voice of support for selling. They'll only go up in price? Oh yeah, who wants to buy my set of mox gems? Only $600/per, it's a bargain! I'll even throw in a Black Lotus for free! You might want to teach your kids? I've got a set of OD&D books that are saying "no, your instinct is right, if the kiddos want D&D teach them the one they will actually be able to play with OTHER PEOPLE." And a couple of 3.0 books that are saying "no, really, they'll learn more from the SRD." And I have a hard drive that is blowing raspberries at shelf after shelf of books, going "neener neener, I don't take up every square inch of the entire house!"

Send them to a good home where they will be loved and treasured; enjoy your freedom from clutter. Everybody wins!

Retro Gamer
2011-04-04, 02:58 PM
Sell, sell, sell! Getting rid of stuff is cleansing and cathartic. You might miss them a little afterwards, but not for long. Hoarding is a disease that most people seem to have in one form or another, and clearing those shelves will be good for the soul.

Draz74
2011-04-04, 03:24 PM
Just wanted to throw in a voice of support for selling. They'll only go up in price? Oh yeah, who wants to buy my set of mox gems? Only $600/per, it's a bargain! I'll even throw in a Black Lotus for free! You might want to teach your kids? I've got a set of OD&D books that are saying "no, your instinct is right, if the kiddos want D&D teach them the one they will actually be able to play with OTHER PEOPLE." And a couple of 3.0 books that are saying "no, really, they'll learn more from the SRD." And I have a hard drive that is blowing raspberries at shelf after shelf of books, going "neener neener, I don't take up every square inch of the entire house!"

Send them to a good home where they will be loved and treasured; enjoy your freedom from clutter. Everybody wins!

This fellow (or girl?) speaks wisdom. Money will get you greater utility than unused books, and hoarding is never good for the active market that will keep products and hobbies alive.