PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Telekinesis Master (need some suggestions)

zeshion
2011-03-31, 03:18 PM
I am looking at various options in an attempt to build a Telekinesis-centered character. I know of the Master of the Unseen hand PRC but (if possible) I'd like to look at other options. From what I understand Psions or similar characters are able to utilize telekinesis-like abilities fairly often with varying degrees of power. I have never used psionics before so I'm a bit uneducated on the subject.

More or less i'd like the character to be able to toss people and items around whenever possible. Slamming people into walls/ceilings, pushing people off cliffs, telekinetic grappling(?), and hurling weapons and other dangerous items. I will be unable to use very obscure or LA races, so please keep that in mind.

Any input or suggestions to build such a character OR to make sure he will be effective in combat at all levels (I will be starting around lvl5) would be GREATLY appreciated! :smallbiggrin:

Sacrieur
2011-03-31, 03:23 PM
Max out MotUH, and then boost your CL as high as it will go. Use such feats as Arcane Thesis (PHII) to help specialize in the individual telekinesis spell.

Moriato
2011-03-31, 03:25 PM
Psionics can do all of what you described, but I find the telekinetic powers kind of underwhelming. The Telekinetic Thrust power will let your throw creatures around, but throwing them into a solid object only does 1d6 points of damage. Throwing a heavy object at them with it is much more effective, dealing damage based on the object's weight. The Telekinetic Manuver power will let you bull rush, trip, disarm, grapple etc at range.

Psyren
2011-03-31, 03:47 PM
You will find yourself disappointed by 3.5 Psionic Telekinesis. :smallyuk:

For some unfathomable reason, they decided to make psionics worse at moving things with your mind than magic was. What you can do with one arcane spell requires no less than 3 psionic powers to pull off.

Pathfinder nudged it in the right direction by reducing it to two, but wizards still have the upper hand.

zeshion
2011-03-31, 03:51 PM
Psionics can do all of what you described, but I find the telekinetic powers kind of underwhelming. The Telekinetic Thrust power will let your throw creatures around, but throwing them into a solid object only does 1d6 points of damage. Throwing a heavy object at them with it is much more effective, dealing damage based on the object's weight. The Telekinetic Manuver power will let you bull rush, trip, disarm, grapple etc at range.

Yeah I could see how it can be underwhelming. I think the character could be useful utility-wise but might be lacking in combat. In fact I KNOW that I will be starting at level 5 and will not get access to Telekinetic Manuver until 7th level. Plus I can't always guarantee there will be something heavy to throw, so that right there limits my potential. Any ideas how to overcome this? I may just have to think of some other type of character I'd like to play if it does not work out.