PDA

View Full Version : The Instant Refuge and Elminster's Evasion contingencies

Alleran
2011-03-31, 06:42 PM
I'm looking at Instant Refuge (Spell Compendium) and Elminster's Evasion (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting).

The two spells are fairly similar, so cliff notes are that each is a 9th level contingency spell. Instant Refuge has a 250gp material component cost and a 100xp cost, while Elminster's Evasion requires you to carry around a focus component (worth 1500gp) and has a higher XP cost (5000xp).

Each has six possible conditions (set when you cast it) that can trigger its activation.

Instant Refuge immediately transports you anywhere (even to another plane), and this isn't a specific teleportation or dimensional travel effect that I can see. Elminster's Evasion does this as well, and also activates two other spells when you arrive at your destination that can be no higher than 6th level. Elminster's Evasion also has some other rules about the Magic Jar spell (and similar ones) and how they interact.

Now, nothing that I can see indicates that these spells can't both be in effect on a person at the same time. So between the twelve possible conditions for transport (six from IR and six from EE), what are some of the "best" conditions to use as grounds for the contingency to whisk a wizard capable of 9th level spells off to his private demiplane? And what two spells would be most-recommended for the Evasion contingency?

Gamer Girl
2011-03-31, 09:03 PM
Instant Refuge and Elminster's Evasion are the same spell. The Elminster spell is the original, then when they put it into the Spell Compendium they modified it to make it 'better' and not specific to FR.

I'd say you can't have both on you at the same time.

Some obvious triggers:

1.Paralzation
2.Perfrication
3.Feebleminded
4.Polymorphed
5.Unconscious
6.And, death.

sreservoir
2011-03-31, 09:30 PM
"when I involuntarily lose control of my spellcasting ability."

then throw in a suitably complicated definition of "involuntarily."