PDA

View Full Version : Good Non-Beguiler Illusion Spells?

Qwertystop
2011-03-31, 08:01 PM
What are some good Figments and Shadows that are not on the Beguiler spell list?

NNescio
2011-03-31, 08:17 PM
What are some good Figments and Shadows that are not on the Beguiler spell list?

Are you a beguiler trying to pick spells for Advanced Learning?

This thread might be useful. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109054)

Edit: Spelling.

Qwertystop
2011-03-31, 08:27 PM
Are you a beguiler trying to pick spells for Advanced Learning?

This thread might be usefuk. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109054)

And possibly also the Extra Spell feat if there's enough I really want. Great link though.

NNescio
2011-03-31, 08:30 PM
And possibly also the Extra Spell feat if there's enough I really want. Great link though.

Generally you want to pick up Shadow Conjuration/Shadow Evocation/Greater Shadow Evocation since they allow you to duplicate the effects of a lot of spells.

Thefurmonger
2011-03-31, 08:36 PM

Not at my books ATM but as I recal "Extra Spell" just lets you pick one from your spell list to add to your spells known.

Sadly as you know your whole list, this does nothing.

Qwertystop
2011-03-31, 09:13 PM
Not at my books ATM but as I recal "Extra Spell" just lets you pick one from your spell list to add to your spells known.

Oh, must have misread it. So it's only useful for the more conventional limited-spells-known casters? Maybe I can get whatever DM I bring this character to to allow a rephrase of the feat.

sreservoir
2011-03-31, 09:32 PM
Oh, must have misread it. So it's only useful for the more conventional limited-spells-known casters? Maybe I can get whatever DM I bring this character to to allow a rephrase of the feat.

post-errata, yes. which is kind of silly, considering its fluff.

dextercorvia
2011-03-31, 09:39 PM
post-errata, yes. which is kind of silly, considering its fluff.

It wasn't really errata'd. It is in the FAQ or something. RAW it lets you chose spells that aren't on your list.

Keld Denar
2011-03-31, 09:44 PM
Greater Mirror Image is possibly the strongest mid-level defensive spell in the game, simply because it has an immediate action casting time. Its that good!

Veyr
2011-03-31, 09:46 PM

Extra Spell says nothing of the sort; it doesn't mention spell lists of any kind anywhere in the feat. Nor does Errata touch the feat at all.

The Sage, on the other part, gave as his answer that it could not, but FAQ is not RAW, and in this case, if he was intending to explain the actual rules (as opposed to suggesting a ruling), then he was wrong. The feat is silent on the issue.

It's still pretty much a DM call, though: silence is not consent, remember. The feat should explicitly rule one way or another, but it doesn't. Thus, a DM has to make a ruling; neither is "correct" by strict RAW (though you could make an argument suggesting that inserting an unmentioned restriction is a greater departure from RAW than not having one).