PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Druid Character Concepts

Ender005
2011-03-31, 08:36 PM
Hey all - I'm going to be finally restarting my pen-and-paper roleplaying that I took an extended break from after I graduated High School and went to college. Now that my friends and I all have steady jobs and college degrees, we decided that we would like to start roleplaying again and where else to start besides our roots?

I am still waiting on the campaign and the setting from our DM, but I know that I want to play a Druid. I loved the class whenever I played it originally in 3.0, but now that we want to have a serious campaign (the likes of which we've only had in WoD), I want to make my first serious DnD character.

With a serious character comes a serious concept, and I am hoping to find something that isn't so dry as you normally find with a druid, so that the hooks are easier on the DM and it's a more enjoyable experience overall. Has anyone had any good concepts they've used before just to get my mind spinning in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

sonofzeal
2011-03-31, 08:50 PM
IF you have access to Eberron Campaign Setting, they have a series of different factions of Druids which differentiate them from the norm. Stripping away the setting-specific stuff, you get....

1) Aberration-bane. Defend the natural order by hunting down those creatures most abhorrant to it.

2) Vermin-friend. Druids are known for their love of Animals, but few really associate themselves with Vermin.

3) Civilization-bane. Most druids are wary of cities and civilization, but a few are outright antagonistic to it, becoming true ecoterrorists.

Ender005
2011-03-31, 08:59 PM
We never got into eberron, this is going to be a custom-made game with the core setting. Hmm...an eco-terrorist sounds pretty fun, but also sounds like it might be a bit exhausting to play...abberation bane sound like it would be interesting - maybe some multi-class into ranger for favored enemies...

I was actually tossing around the idea of being afflicted with lycanthropy and either being unaware of it, or being forced to live with it, driving my character into the wilderness, becoming of a true neutral alignment and worshipping the duality of nature...but the lycanthropy template adds a +2 to your effective level and with Wildshape, I wouldn't use the alternate form so it seems kind of wasted.

sonofzeal
2011-03-31, 09:08 PM
We never got into eberron, this is going to be a custom-made game with the core setting. Hmm...an eco-terrorist sounds pretty fun, but also sounds like it might be a bit exhausting to play...abberation bane sound like it would be interesting - maybe some multi-class into ranger for favored enemies...

I was actually tossing around the idea of being afflicted with lycanthropy and either being unaware of it, or being forced to live with it, driving my character into the wilderness, becoming of a true neutral alignment and worshipping the duality of nature...but the lycanthropy template adds a +2 to your effective level and with Wildshape, I wouldn't use the alternate form so it seems kind of wasted.
Hengeyoukai (Oriental Adventures) can pull it off without the LA. There's also the option of Anthropomorphic races (Savage Species). Or just cut a deal with the DM.

Leon
2011-03-31, 09:15 PM

If its going to make a better character then it would be worth it anyway.

Coidzor
2011-03-31, 09:24 PM
2) Vermin-friend. Druids are known for their love of Animals, but few really associate themselves with Vermin.

There's a very little bit of web content for this as well, actually.