PDA

View Full Version : Please, help with a character concept

shadowolf
2011-03-31, 09:18 PM
I want to make character inspired by Thibbledorf Pwent. Does Dwarven Battlerager exist as a class? Any suggestions for creating a Dwarven Battlerage, if the class doesn't exist?

NNescio
2011-03-31, 09:24 PM
I want to make character inspired by Thibbledorf Pwent. Does Dwarven Battlerager exist as a class? Any suggestions for creating a Dwarven Battlerage, if the class doesn't exist?

Battlerager prestige class, Races of Faerūn, Page 178.

Zaq
2011-04-01, 02:31 AM
Is there a reason that Barbarian wouldn't work, exactly?

NNescio
2011-04-01, 02:37 AM
Is there a reason that Barbarian wouldn't work, exactly?

Lack of heavy armour proficiency, for one.

Velaryon
2011-04-01, 03:28 AM
Battlerager is right where NNescio says it is, but frankly the class is terrible.
It's even worse than Reaping Mauler.

Speaking of Reaping Mauler, it would actually work decently well for your purposes if you can get the DM to switch Improved Grapple to a prerequisite and Clever Wrestling to a bonus feat granted at 1st level of the class. While it still wouldn't be a spectacular class, the biggest problem is that it requires a feat that actively restrains you from being a good grappler (by forcing you to give up size increases), and that the feat it gives you at level 1 is something which you probably already have.

That is, assuming you want your Battlerager to be a grappler. IIRC, that's a major part of their fighting style, isn't it?

I would suggest multiclassing Barbarian and Fighter, then consider taking Reaping Mauler if you can convince your DM to fix the class a bit. After that, use your feats to work on unarmed fighting and grappling, and you should be good.

Zaq
2011-04-01, 03:35 AM
Lack of heavy armour proficiency, for one.

That's easily solved by a dip in Crusader, PsyWar, Fighter, or whatever. Sure, Fast Movement doesn't work in heavy armor, but there's no shortage of ACFs that you can trade it out for.

NNescio
2011-04-01, 04:11 AM
That's easily solved by a dip in Crusader, PsyWar, Fighter, or whatever. Sure, Fast Movement doesn't work in heavy armor, but there's no shortage of ACFs that you can trade it out for.

I was assuming you meant straight Barbarian, since a Battlerager needs Rage to qualify for the class anyway.

'though now that I looked through the class again... it seemed designed for an axe-wielding battlerager instead of the "throw your body at your enemies"-style of the Gutbuster Bridgade. The PrC also has some rather... weird prerequisites.

Highlights:
Knowledge(religion) 2 ranks: What on earth is an axe idiot doing with ranks in Knowledge? For cursing like a sailor shouting religious oaths?

Perform(singing, any other) 2 ranks: *Headdesk* Battlecries and drunken singing are supposed to be performances?

Edit: Found a rewrite that might be a tad more useful. (http://www.shakandara.com/shak/theland/battlerager.html) Prereqs are kinda painful though, and a generic pouncing/charging Fighter/Barbarian build would probably still be better regardless.

Runestar
2011-04-01, 05:58 AM
PHB2 has the blood-spiked charger feat, which revolves around the use of spiked shields/armour.