PDA

View Full Version : Ultramarine sitting in a Tree

Sydonai
2011-03-31, 10:22 PM
What would happen if a WH40K Space Marine became stranded in Bard Bloom's "WorldTree" setting? What would happen if a group of them showed up? Or an entire Battle Barge, with Imperial Guard backup, showed up?

Don't just say "Purge the mutants" or ""Exterminatus". The personifications of destruction and fire exist in physical form in this world.

Physics works......oddly.....in this setting. If a Battle Barge shows up, its going to crash, its only a question of when. The weapons a Space Marine might have with him may or may not work, a Flamer or Melta-gun would probably function fine, but a Lightning Claw probably wouldn't.

The natives are the equivalent of Psykers, every single one, and they aren't(usually) risking possession when they use their powers.

If anyone has a specific question about the setting then please ask, otherwise just post your (likely insulting and/or inflammatory) opinion.

(I am very hesitant to post this, due to the debatable legality of how much information concerning WorldTree may be shared, if one of the Board Moderators or Mr.Bloom wants this taken down then I have no problem with it being deleted.)
edit: please don't let this devolve into a flame-war

terrashand
2011-04-01, 01:19 AM
1. Before the Heresy: They would more then likely try to spread the good word. Get turned down and start shooting unless a pysker stopped it and wanted to use it as a recruiting world.

2. After the Heresy: Pretty much the same as above without the spreading the good word part.

Other ideas:
Chapter Master is informed by resident pysker that the whole planet teems with pyskers and they call in Grey Knights/inquistion/Ordos whichever one deals with pyskers.

The "Black Ships" are notified that they have found the God-Emperor's Holy Buffet. :smallsmile:

FelixG
2011-04-01, 03:59 AM
After reading a few things about the setting I think this is a fair approximation of what would happen:

http://blogfile.paran.com/BLOG_343887/200708/1187025029_Suffer%20Not%20the%20Furry%20to%20Live% 20Desu.jpg

Space marines are not exactly...peaceful folk...So when you say you dont want an answer like exteriminatus, just seems kinda odd :3

What do you think would happen?

I think they may just ram their barge in if it was crashing and try to kill as much as possible as quick as possible before they got taken down by all the unsanctioned psykers about.

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 06:04 AM
I said "equivalent of Psykers", equivalent. I said that to emphazise their relative rank in the "how much of a threat are they" ranking.

Oh, and for those of you that don't know, WorldTree is "a tree thousands of miles tall, who's branches are fifty miles wide and hundreds of thousands long". It exists in it's own dimension. The wood of the WorldTree is about as hard as adamantium in most places, but gets significantly softer in some spots.

The eight "player character" races are:(quoted from TvTropes)

"Herethroy: Peaceful, pastoral, six-limbed insects of three distinct genders who vary between farming and wielding three-handed swords."

"Cani: Chummy dog-folk with complex social structure and instinctual loyalty."
"Rassimel: Obsessive, intelligent raccoon-people."

"Orren: Shapeshifting mercurial otterfolk with a tendency to go hyperactive under stress. Described as having "species-wide ADD.""

"Khytsoyis: Sloppily-designed, floating heptapods (that is, seven-tentacled octapi) who pound things with triple-wielded clubs."

"Gormoror: Mighty bears with a magic honor sense."

"Sleeth: Non-anthropomorphic big cats with telekinesis over flesh-based objects and the Verbal Tic of speaking in present tense."

"Zi-Ri: Cat-sized, immortal, hermaphroditic, hovering dragons with fire resistance and weak fire breath.
Several Zi-Ri are not only immortal, high-powered sorcerers, but have been around since roughly the beginning of the (local )universe( about seven thousand years), this is probably a bad thing."

These races are called "Primes", the seven creator gods of the WorldTree made them, and decided that they would be the "main characters" of this world. In the gods opinion everything is just a play set up for their amusement and everybody but the Primes are just pieces of scenery.

Every single Prime and most Monsters(Non-Primes) gets a direct connection to their creator-deity, making that god's magic easier to use, and making their souls easier to collect and reincarnate when they die. There are 7+12 forms of magic, each personified as one of the seven Verb-Gods(Creators) or twelve Noun-Gods. In any case, anyone native to the WorldTree can use magic, if someone hasn't made a snack appear out of thin-air by age three then parents start to worry.

The Verbs of magic are: Create, Control, Heal, Know, Destroy, Change, and Sustain
The Nouns of magic are: Air, Fire, Water, Earth, Metal, Wood, Spirit, Magic, Location, Time, Mind, and Flesh

In order to use magic you have to string together at least one noun and one verb.(you can theoretically use all of the nouns in one spell, but adding more verbs gets very silly very fast) For instance; Know+Mind=Mindreading, Destroy+Flesh=Disintegration, and Create+Fire+Mind=Fire Elemental.

Its very important to remember that within their world the gods are the personification of their element. The Noun-God of Mind is the ultimate master of thought and can instantly take control anything with a brain, luckily he can't leave his city due to a promise he made with the other gods. The Verb-God of Destroy is personified destruction, he( literally) is a living black-hole.

I didn't want to know what a Space Marine would do so much as how long they would live before pi$$ing off one of the hundreds of things that could one-shot them, like a random Nendrai( think "lizard with the powers of a Lord of Change" and you won't be to far off).

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 06:12 AM
My last remark was a little harsh. :smallannoyed:
But I distinctly remember saying "Don't just say "Purge the mutants" or ""Exterminatus".".
You immediately assumed that a Space Marine could pwn anything.
And you didn't say how big a group you were talking about or what equipment they had.
And you assumed that the Marines could just fly back home to get reinforcements, they are stuck in this setting, ....unless they can convince "Here" the Noun-God location to send them back home.
(note: Here is a sadistic b@$t@rd and would probably send them into deep-space, without their armour)

Yora
2011-04-01, 06:45 AM
They really have ultramarines?

http://www.chromaonline.com/var/chroma/storage/images/media/images/ar/swatches/swatch_sets/colour_mixing_for_students/french_ultramarine_blue/4949-1-eng-AU/french_ultramarine_blue.jpg

:smallbiggrin:

hewhosaysfish
2011-04-01, 06:54 AM
My last remark was a little harsh. :smallannoyed:
But I distinctly remember saying "Don't just say "Purge the mutants" or ""Exterminatus"."

That's like asking "What would a rock do when you drop it out the window?" and then specifying "Don't say it will fall on whatever's underneath."

You immediately assumed that a Space Marine could pwn anything.

They'll certainly want to try.
They'll see a whole bunch of intelligent non-human beings (xenos scum) with magical (psychic) powers, worshipping a pantheon of physically present gods (daemon princes); is there anything in this setting that is not completely antithetical to everything that Space Marines believe?

So, if a Battle Barge full of Space Marines with IG support show up, expect to try to kill everything. If everything in this world is as powerful as you assert, then the fight may be very one-sided. But Space Marines who see a battle-brother consumed by a living black-hole daemon do not suddenly undergo a change of heart and start asking "Could we arrive at an amicable resolution?"

They will purge the World-Tree or die trying.

Now, if it's just a couple of squads, rather than a whole Barge, then they're probably not going to try to exterminate the a planet-sized population all by themselves. Even if they persuade the xenos psykers to form an orderly queue, it would still take them a decade.

If they perceive the World-Tree as being an imminent threat to Imperial Space (which probably depends on where and how they found it), they will launch suicidal assaults on whatever they deem to be priority targets and attempt to sell their lives as dearly as possible.

If they don't feel they're on a time-limit, they will likely attempt to withdraw, planning to come back with massively overwhelming force. Once they realise that they can't get their transport working again and there's no steable spacecraft on the "planet" then they will look at the suicidal assault option.
And no, they will not ask the Daemon-God of Here to magic them back home.

EDIT:
@Yora
Ultramarines... (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Ultramarines)

Coidzor
2011-04-01, 07:25 AM
My last remark was a little harsh.

Your last post also answered your own question, when the answer regarding space marines is kill on sight.

You've got a bunch of savage or out-and-out sadistic playthings of cruel and selfish incarnate deities that are going to end up attacked by fanatics devoted to destroying such creatures.

The specific end-result is fore-gone, since eventually one of those incarnate godlings will kill them off, the only question is how they'll go about their assault and how well it would go for them which depends entirely upon what kind of intelligence they can get and where they end up.

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 08:07 AM
Alright, you people don't understand, so I'll have to clarify. The gods are not "worshipped" in the same way a Human would use that word. They do have preists, but its more business then religion, making a god happy can get you some really nice things.

The gods are personified laws of physics, they don't care what you think, but if you promise to do something for them they might decide to help you, and if you shoot at them you'll probably lose their favor really fast.

One of the in-setting stories has a baker telling Flokin, the Noun-God of Fire(he was disguised as a Sleeth), "Go away, I'm not ready to serve customers yet", and he did "go away", he withdrew his nature from her bakery. Flame, and therfore heat, dissapeared from the building, until the baker offered a prayer of forgiveness once a day for twenty days in a row. ......Instead she turned her bakery into an ice-cream parlor........Flokin was less than amused, but kept his promise and didn't return there.

Point being; They keep their promises, and they are what they represent.
Slaanesh is patron of sex( and excess, among other things) but zie doesn't control procreation, otherwise zie would just say something like "Humans can't reproduce anymore" and it would happen, and Slaanesh would do that becuase zie is a complete d#ck.
If Tenmen, Noun-God of metal, decided that you can't have any metal then any metal that belongs to you will rust away into dust, but he probably won't do this unless you try to attack him directly or insult him directly( or he may just ignore you).

Most of the time the gods just sit back and watch, creating a new species of monster every now and then, unless someone actually tries to get their attention.
It should be noted that Accanax(destruction) would probably like a Space Marine, they do tend to blow stuff up on a fairly regular basis. The Marine might discover that their chainsword is suddenly working a little to good, cutting through the air( with audible screams from the air elementals) and things like that. On the other hand Accanax might just design a monster using the Marine as a model.

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 08:09 AM
They really have ultramarines?

http://www.chromaonline.com/var/chroma/storage/images/media/images/ar/swatches/swatch_sets/colour_mixing_for_students/french_ultramarine_blue/4949-1-eng-AU/french_ultramarine_blue.jpg

:smallbiggrin:

They happen to be on the cover of the codex. Just happened be the first Chapter I thought of.

I wanted oppinions on A Marine's chances of survival, and likely strategies.
Read about the setting a little, then tell me what you think.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WorldTreeRPG
http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_6285.html
http://world-tree-rpg.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tree_(role-playing_game)

Yora
2011-04-01, 08:22 AM
Nobody but me seems to get the pun. :smallsigh:

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 08:39 AM
Sorry.......what exactly was the pun?

gbprime
2011-04-01, 08:40 AM
I wanted oppinions on A Marine's chances of survival, and likely strategies.

Well the complication is that if they have a battle barge, then they have the proper CREW for it. That means upwards of 400 marines, manufacturing abilities, their own psykers, and... most importantly... an Astropath. That Astropath is going to first try to call for help, and if he can't, then he's going to spend his time divining the future in a limited fashion.

That will tend to make the space marines smart about purging the psychic beasts that have the xenos inhabitants as thralls, then possibly the xenos as well. But purge they will. The Warhammer 40K genre is one where trust and inaction get you killed. Space Marines dumped in a different setting are going to THINK the way their universe has bred them to think. Getting transported to Niceville isn't going to make them nice.

- EDIT - question... why do you assume a power field would not work in the setting? And if that doesn't work, then would you also assume that the nuclear plants in the backpack of each space marine would cease to produce power for their armor... meaning their armor would not work either?

gbprime
2011-04-01, 08:41 AM

That ultramarine is a shade of blue, and so is their armor.

FelixG
2011-04-01, 08:49 AM

Space marine armor is blue...that is a smear of blue against presumably a wall.

instofacto, the ultra mar will get smeared is the pun :smallbiggrin:

wuwuwu
2011-04-01, 08:51 AM
The Ultramarines do have one MAJOR advantage over the denizens of the WorldTree: They have accepted Roboute Guilliman as their spiritual liege. The heretical "Noun-gods" would be able to only gaze in horror as the superior tactics (He wrote the Codex Astartes) and honor of the Ultramarines ground away at the forces of their mutant children. Eventually, they and their ilk would be backed into a corner of no escape, and see the light: In their final moments, the xenos would also accept Roboute Guilliman as their spiritual liege, and find a little bit of piece in death.

As a side note: How did you find an ENTIRE SETTING that was more Mary Sue than the ULTRAMARINES? I'm astounded.

LansXero
2011-04-01, 09:11 AM
Eventually a Librarian or an astropath will fall to the perils of the warp, turn its brain into a warpgate and the noun/verb gods can duke it out against the creatures from the inmaterium over which they have no control, since they are embodiments ot concepts and things that exist in the universe and warp creatures especifically exist outside of it. So, death-by-bloodthirster?

Yukitsu
2011-04-01, 09:16 AM
Their stuff works in the warp, where causality let alone physics breaks down, so I can't fathom a mere "different set of physics" completely ruining their equipment. Especially since 60% of their stuff seems to run on faith in it anyway.

Sure you can be like, "Hey, would this setting I happen to be a huge fan of win against X, assuming you remove all of Xs stuff?" Well sure, but it's not really a relevant or even interesting point of discussion.

gbprime
2011-04-01, 09:26 AM
Eventually a Librarian or an astropath will fall to the perils of the warp, turn its brain into a warpgate and the noun/verb gods can duke it out against the creatures from the inmaterium over which they have no control, since they are embodiments ot concepts and things that exist in the universe and warp creatures especifically exist outside of it. So, death-by-bloodthirster?

Could be worse. It could be the Thousand Sons making a landing instead of the Ultramarines. They'd take over. :smalltongue:

Tiki Snakes
2011-04-01, 09:52 AM
After reading a few things about the setting I think this is a fair approximation of what would happen:

http://blogfile.paran.com/BLOG_343887/200708/1187025029_Suffer%20Not%20the%20Furry%20to%20Live% 20Desu.jpg

Space marines are not exactly...peaceful folk...So when you say you dont want an answer like exteriminatus, just seems kinda odd :3

What do you think would happen?

I think they may just ram their barge in if it was crashing and try to kill as much as possible as quick as possible before they got taken down by all the unsanctioned psykers about.

I've looked and I really can't see any reason to disagree with this post.

Longcat
2011-04-01, 09:55 AM
Replace Ultramarines with Grey Knights, and massive hilarity ensues.

Erom
2011-04-01, 10:02 AM
As a side note: How did you find an ENTIRE SETTING that was more Mary Sue than the ULTRAMARINES? I'm astounded.

This, very much this.

Also, you'll take your exterminatus and you'll like it.

LansXero
2011-04-01, 10:03 AM
This, very much this.

Also, you'll take your exterminatus and you'll like it.

You cant, see, the god of bombs will make the bombs not be so, and the god of virus will take care of the virus bombs.

Erom
2011-04-01, 10:06 AM
You cant, see, the god of bombs will make the bombs not be so, and the god of virus will take care of the virus bombs.
And that's why your setting is made of dumb. But even taking the setting as written - I feel like the Ultramarines would still try, even if the setting makes it nearly impossible that they would make much headway.

aberratio ictus
2011-04-01, 10:13 AM

Space marine armor is blue...that is a smear of blue against presumably a wall.

instofacto, the ultra mar will get smeared is the pun :smallbiggrin:

Actually, I don't think she hinted at anything concerning the marines themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultramarine

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 10:53 AM
......Right, a bunch of people who spend hundreds of dollars on miniatures and don't pay attention to anything but fanwankery in their favour.

I never mentioned the Ultramarines anywhere but the thread title.

You still won't mention what size of group you describe, except for one of you.

The gods don't control everything, and likely won't interfere unless the Marines look like they might genocide an entire species, and then all they'll probably do is make a few kinds of monsters specifically designed to fight the Marines( "Hmmm, these "Ty'Ranids" look interesting, but I think I can do better." I'm well aware of how badly they could screw up with this option, but they aren't much for damage control.) Unless someone prays really hard and performs an "epic quest" as payment for their help.

I think that the some of the Marines equipment won't work becuase there is no electromagnetism in this setting. I have a life, I haven't memorized every little thing that this could effect. (H*ll, there are no ATOMS in this setting, the particals in WorldTree are larger, closer together, and don't move as much.)
And any Astropath would go bat$h#t insane without the Astronomican.

I'm not sure if the Warp can reach WorldTree, the setting is assumed to have a shield of some sort, sort of a net existing "below space"......or was it "between spaces"......anyway "Here" has screwed up a few times( or allowed stuff to get through because he's a jerk), so it might be possible. The worst extraplanar theat, or at least the most memorable, was a miles-long slug that managed to eat a large part of a branch before it got roflstomped by an "Apocalypse War" artifact( that promptly vanished afterwards, thats the Duke's story and he's sticking to it).
The most likely case of Warp contamination is probably Birkazon, Noun-God of Mind, but he couldn't leave his city even if he was possessed. Being a giant brain tends to limit his movement. .......He could enchant his helmet to make it levitate him.....

Now that my irritating rant is over why don't you think of the tactics one(singular) Space Marine would use, his life expectancy, his equipment, etc.
Maybe an Imperial Guard or Eldar would be more interesting.......an Eldar would freak, suddenly being exposed to a dimension without Slaanesh.....

FelixG
2011-04-01, 10:56 AM
I would figure a battle barge would come with full equipment and units...so thats what I based my post off of.

druid91
2011-04-01, 11:01 AM
......Right, a bunch of /b/tards that don't pay attention.

I never mentioned the Ultramarines anywhere but the thread title.

You still won't mention what size of group you describe, except for one of you.

The gods don't control everything, and likely won't interfere unless the Marines look like they might genocide an entire species, and then all they'll probably do is make a few kinds of monsters specifically designed to fight the Marines( "Hmmm, these "Ty'Ranids" look interesting, but I think I can do better." I'm well aware of how badly they could screw up with this option, but they aren't much for damage control.) Unless someone prays really hard and performs an "epic quest" as payment for their help.

I think that the some of the Marines equipment won't work becuase there is no electromagnetism in this setting. I have a life, I haven't memorized every little thing that this could effect. (H*ll, there are no ATOMS in this setting, the particals in WorldTree are larger, closer together, and don't move as much.)

I'm not sure if the Warp can reach WorldTree, the setting is assumed to have a shield of some sort, sort of a net existing "below space"......or was it "between spaces"......anyway "Here" has screwed up a few times( or allowed stuff to get through because he's a jerk), so it might be possible. The worst extraplanar theat, or at least the most memorable, was a miles-long slug that managed to eat a large part of a branch before it got roflstomped by an "Apocalypse War" artifact( that promptly vanished afterwards, thats the Duke's story and he's sticking to it).
The most likely case of Warp contamination is probably Birkazon, Noun-God of Mind, but he couldn't leave his city even if he was possessed. Being a giant brain tends to limit his movement. .......He could enchant his helmet to make it levitate him.....

Now that my irritating rant is over why don't you think of the tactics one(singular) Space Marine would use, his life expectancy, his equipment, etc.
Maybe an Imperial Guard or Eldar would be more interesting.......an Eldar would freak, suddenly being exposed to a dimension without Slaanesh.....

A random space marine? He'd probably end up going down trying to cause as much damage as possible. Assumedly his stuff would work because he comes from outside the setting. Either that or he would spontaneously combust due to incompatability with this reality.

FelixG
2011-04-01, 11:01 AM
Either that or he would spontaneously combust due to incompatability with this reality.

I like this idea best :smallwink:

The SMs randomly implode or burst into flames from incomparability

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 11:05 AM
There is some effect that renders beings from outside the dimension compatable, but I'm not sure of the specifics.

Tiki Snakes
2011-04-01, 11:21 AM
Seems pretty simple to me, either the cease to exist immediately due to there not being any such thing as Atoms, or their stuff continues to work just fine. Anything in between is just too arbitrary, really.

A Space marine's life expectancy is almost directly related to how soon they decide going-down-fighting is the best plan of action. Ditto for any number of them up until the point that there are enough of them to make a difference. Simple presence of magic-users, no matter how wide-spread doesn't necessarily mean all that much and without access to the main documentation, I really can't do much to compare the power levels. That said, assuming the game isn't focused on exalted levels of shenanigan, (which from it's write-ups doesn't seem to be the focus), then I can't imagine the majority of the setting troubling a Space Marine Librarian of any calibur.

The whole point of a space marine chapter is to deal with situations like this, horrible non-human, sorcerous fiends and overwhelming odds. This is another day at the space marine office, as far as I can see.

Imperial guard would, once it is clear they aren't leaving, ever, probably end up going native rather than doing any kind of space marine death-or-glory / exterminatus stuff.
Eldar would hide themselves away as ever, most likely, and accomplish very little (least of all integration)

Orks would Waaaaargh, for the rest of the existence of the World-Tree and have a jolly good time doing so. :smallwink:

terrashand
2011-04-01, 11:22 AM
All of this is under my assumption that the gods in this world aren't gods. Just high powered characters with amazing abilities. If the god of thought can't move because his brain is too large and he hasn't thought of a way to fix it: he isn't a god. :smallsmile:

Eldar: Without the porn god around anymore an Eldar would fill relief. They would become friends with the locals and pratice whatever they wanted. Oh and finally enjoy themselves doing something.

Dark Eldar: If they were stuck without a way home. They would be friendly until they had a way home. Then return with everyone and start taking slaves.

Tau: Convert to the greater good or we fight tomorrow. Unless they have amazing things that could be considered tech. No magic thought remember the Tau have no sense of any of that.

Imperium: Umm call in the Ordos Xenos, The Black Ships, the Grey Knights....hell you know what get the Emp off the throne and over here now.

Necrons: They would sense a pulse and start shooting.

Orks: Orks is made for fighting and wi......well mostly losing.

Chaos: The lord of change might want to talk to them. The porn god might want to experiment with the locals. Khorne wants new skulls for the new skull throne. Nurgle would want to capture and test new diseases.

If whoever has numbers they perform the list above. If they are by themselves. A few will still fire the rest will sneakily become friends and wait for a chance to call for help. 40K is a pretty linear universe man. Sorry but they races pretty much have a set way of acting. I tried to think of any action besides killing they might do.

As a soldier myself if I come across hostiles who's weapons react differently then what I expect or they have more numbers then what intel informed me of I don't stop and think again. I adapt (or try to) to the new situation and execute any number of plans until my guys are the only ones left or the threat to them is neutralized.

P.S. The races in 40k pretty much see everyone has hostile

Edit: added a smiley to the first paragraph.

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 11:26 AM
Accanax, Gnarn, and Birkozan would love Orks. The first if destruction personifed:smallbiggrin:, the secon is a sadist:smalleek:, and the third likes anything he can use as a brainpuppet:smallfurious:.

Tiki Snakes
2011-04-01, 11:26 AM

Orks never lose. Orks is made for fightin' an Winnin!
"Orkses is never defeated in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die, so it don't count as defeat. If we runs for it we don't die neither, so we can always come back for annuver go, see!"

Plus the whole fungal reproduction thing, etc etc.

Yuki Akuma
2011-04-01, 11:34 AM
No, seriously, the Space Marines will try to kill everyone.

It's what they do.

Please don't talk about settings you know nothing about.

What sort of answer were you even expecting? What do you expect an army of alien and magic-hating zealots to do?

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 11:39 AM
All of this is under my assumption that the gods in this world aren't gods. Just high powered characters with amazing abilities. If the god of thought can't move because his brain is too large and he hasn't thought of a way to fix it: he isn't a god. :smallsmile:

Eldar: Without the porn god around anymore an Eldar would fill relief. They would become friends with the locals and pratice whatever they wanted. Oh and finally enjoy themselves doing something.

Dark Eldar: If they were stuck without a way home. They would be friendly until they had a way home. Then return with everyone and start taking slaves.

Tau: Convert to the greater good or we fight tomorrow. Unless they have amazing things that could be considered tech. No magic thought remember the Tau have no sense of any of that.

Imperium: Umm call in the Ordos Xenos, The Black Ships, the Grey Knights....hell you know what get the Emp off the throne and over here now.

Necrons: They would sense a pulse and start shooting.

Chaos: The lord of change might want to talk to them. The porn god might want to experiment with the locals. Khorne wants new skulls for the new skull throne. Nurgle would want to capture and test new diseases.

If whoever has numbers they perform the list above. If they are by themselves. A few will still fire the rest will sneakily become friends and wait for a chance to call for help. 40K is a pretty linear universe man. Sorry but they races pretty much have a set way of acting. I tried to think of any action besides killing they might do.

As a soldier myself if I come across hostiles who's weapons react differently then what I expect or they have more numbers then what intel informed me of I don't stop and think again. I adapt (or try to) to the new situation and execute any number of plans until my guys are the only ones left or the threat to them is neutralized.

P.S. The races in 40k pretty much see everyone has hostile

Edit: added a smiley to the first paragraph.

The god of thought doesn't have a giant brain, he is a giant brain. He needs help to move becuase he doesn't have limbs, and why does he need to move? The other gods won't let him out of his city and he can just mind-control people and force them to do whatever he wants.( Moving himself would require Ruloc-Corpador, Control-Flesh, and while he has access to Control the Noun-God of Flesh thinks that he's a scumbag.)

The Primes tend to treat magic as technology, "Why use a lens to see something small? It takes hours to make and you have to carry around heavy equipment to use it, I can produce the effect easily with Kennoc-Airador.". They even use the Scientific method. Its so bad that they define Religion as "The science of bargaining with deities and spirits" or something similar.

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 11:41 AM
No, seriously, the Space Marines will try to kill everyone.

It's what they do.

Please don't talk about settings you know nothing about.

What sort of answer were you even expecting? What do you expect an army of alien and magic-hating zealots to do?

Die horribly, or get turned into some Nendrai's fancy new( living and in horrible agony) rug.

Edit: from TvTropes "Nendrai have incredible Change magic talent plus immortality, but are designed to crave gifts from primes, have emotions like love and friendship, have a cruel streak and limited control over their powers, and cry tears of jagged glass. Oh, and they're specifically denied the painless healing of the official Healing element. This all appears to be due to Gnarn, the god responsible for nendrai, carefully crafting them to be a very troublesome monster for the Primes."

Yuki Akuma
2011-04-01, 11:52 AM
So basically you started a thread to tell everyone how awesome your Mary Sue pet setting is?

I don't even see how this is an argument about the marines trying to kill everyone. Just because you're sure they'll fail despite knowing nothing about the setting and giving them arbitrary limitations on their technology, it doesn't mean they won't still try to purge the xenos.

wuwuwu
2011-04-01, 11:56 AM
none of this matters, because the space marines will always win.
The horrors of the warp are far worse than "nendrai" or giant brains, and going through the warp is the main method of travel.

also: What Yuki_Akama said

edit: that stuff about the nendrai is the worst thing I've ever read. crying tears of broken glass? healing causes them pain?

LansXero
2011-04-01, 12:04 PM
Edit: from TvTropes "Nendrai have incredible Change magic talent plus immortality,

So do Thousand Sons and pretty much any tzeentchian followers, and they still die to a bolter round to the head.

As far as the local gods lovin orks, orks dont give a damn about that. And if they die, they regrow from spores a few years later and keep getting tougher. And BrainGod cant do anything about them because 1. they are plants/fungi, they dont actually have a brain, and 2. Whaaaaagh field.

As for being personifications of what they stand for. . . remember the Eldar Pantheon? They were pretty much the same, and also had their own pocket dimension/plane. The Chaos Gods found out and ate / raped / splintered / etc. them. So if there is a battle barge, there has to be a way in from the warp (as otherwise how it even got there?), and if there is, and your setting's creatures feel emotions like anger or lust or whatever, they are doomed. Hell if no-astronomican means astropaths go insta-crazy, then you can count on chaos spawn entering alongside the battlebarge, probably from the same opening in warp space that let it in. Shouldnt be much harder to pierce than the webway, and it has been done by Chaos Marines.

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 12:07 PM
I left it up to you to decide how many space marines showed up, you picked "all of em", thus making sure that the dice are stacked in your favor and that you can't lose ever at all, because you are insecure and need the petty thrill of "winning" a thread.
I would have been fine with seeing the Primes get their collective @$$ handed to them, they’re a bunch of bigoted @$$holes anyway(at least the ones that live in the cities).
But you just couldn't be mature enough to have a civil conversation.

Someone PM me when the children go to sleep, I'll be reading something on the homebrew board.
(Some of you happen to be very polite, I don't want to anger you. I only want to anger the jerks that acted like five-year-olds.)

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 12:11 PM
So do Thousand Sons and pretty much any tzeentchian followers, and they still die to a bolter round to the head.

As far as the local gods lovin orks, orks dont give a damn about that. And if they die, they regrow from spores a few years later and keep getting tougher. And BrainGod cant do anything about them because 1. they are plants/fungi, they dont actually have a brain, and 2. Whaaaaagh field.

As for being personifications of what they stand for. . . remember the Eldar Pantheon? They were pretty much the same, and also had their own pocket dimension/plane. The Chaos Gods found out and ate / raped / splintered / etc. them. So if there is a battle barge, there has to be a way in from the warp (as otherwise how it even got there?), and if there is, and your setting's creatures feel emotions like anger or lust or whatever, they are doomed. Hell if no-astronomican means astropaths go insta-crazy, then you can count on chaos spawn entering alongside the battlebarge, probably from the same opening in warp space that let it in. Shouldnt be much harder to pierce than the webway, and it has been done by Chaos Marines.

Birkozan has been known to control sapient plants.

I didn't mention Traitor Marines, but they would probably do better than Loyalists in this setting.

I think the Astropaths would slowly be drivin insane, over the course of a few days, eventually going on a (very short )murderous rampage.

You are right about the Choas Gods though, those guys would Wreck $Hi# up.

Yukitsu
2011-04-01, 12:13 PM
A battle barge is about 400 of them, plus support crew, tanks, siege weaponry, aircraft support, planetary bombardment capability, and several psykers. That's generally enough given what's been thusfar described, and given examples of what the extent of the setting's powers are.

To compare/contrast, a class alpha psyker can split a kilometer and a half tall mech with full void screen shielding up in half with a thought. It is not unheard of for a detachment of space marines being sent to deal with a threat of that magnitude, although expect high losses.

druid91
2011-04-01, 12:14 PM
I left it up to you to decide how many space marines showed up, you picked "all of em", thus making sure that the dice are stacked in your favor and that you can't lose ever at all, because you are insecure and need the petty thrill of "winning" a thread.
I would have been fine with seeing the Primes get their collective @$$ handed to them, they’re a bunch of bigoted @$$holes anyway(at least the ones that live in the cities).

Someone PM me when the children go to sleep, I'll be reading something on the homebrew board.
(Some of you happen to be very polite, I don't want to anger you. I only want to anger the jerks that acted like five-year-olds.)

In fact the highest number I've seen mentioned is one battle barge. Remember the SM have fleets of these things.

Warhammer 40k is insane. Planets with populations of billions get lost due to rounding errors on tax returns insane.

If it was all the space marines it wouldn't even be a question.

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 12:22 PM
A battle barge is about 400 of them, plus support crew, tanks, siege weaponry, aircraft support, planetary bombardment capability, and several psykers. That's generally enough given what's been thusfar described, and given examples of what the extent of the setting's powers are.

To compare/contrast, a class alpha psyker can split a kilometer and a half tall mech with full void screen shielding up in half with a thought. It is not unheard of for a detachment of space marines being sent to deal with a threat of that magnitude, although expect high losses.

A "Grand Inferno" spell is like having a volcano erupt dead-center, but it only last for a few seconds. Its not the strongest spell( that honor goes to "Destroy the World", guess what it does) but the caster never goes insane from using it. Notably "Grand Inferno" requires someone thats been practicing magecraft for close to a century to actually cast it, but there are Four-Thousand-Year-Olds running around(about six or seven of them).

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 12:24 PM
In fact the highest number I've seen mentioned is one battle barge. Remember the SM have fleets of these things.

Warhammer 40k is insane. Planets with populations of billions get lost due to rounding errors on tax returns insane.

If it was all the space marines it wouldn't even be a question.

It was implied that the number of marines was "enough" in the posts that didn't mention a specific number.

gbprime
2011-04-01, 12:26 PM
......Right, a bunch of people who spend hundreds of dollars on miniatures and don't pay attention to anything but fanwankery in their favour.

This discussion isn't going to get very far if you insult everyone who attempts to answer it.

No electromagentism? That solves your issue right there. The moment the battle barge shows up and electromagnetism stops working, all of it's continent-scouring warheads lose the benefit of their containment fields and just detonate, eliminating the ship, everyone in it, and probably the nearest tree limb. End of scenario.

I think you misunderstand what an Astropath does.

druid91
2011-04-01, 12:26 PM
A "Grand Inferno" spell is like having a volcano erupt dead-center, but it only last for a few seconds. Its not the strongest spell( that honor goes to "Destroy the World", guess what it does) but the caster never goes insane from using it. Notably "Grand Inferno" requires someone thats been practicing magecraft for close to a century to actually cast it, but there are Four-Thousand-Year-Olds running around(about six or seven of them).

The emperor who IIRC is a class alpha+ psyker. Can call up supernova like blasts of energy.

He took centuries to get there but...

wuwuwu
2011-04-01, 12:27 PM

ok. one space marine. Roboute Guilliman. Your world accepts him as their spiritual liege. Space marines win

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 12:28 PM
none of this matters, because the space marines will always win.
The horrors of the warp are far worse than "nendrai" or giant brains, and going through the warp is the main method of travel.

also: What Yuki_Akama said

edit: that stuff about the nendrai is the worst thing I've ever read. crying tears of broken glass? healing causes them pain?

Gnarn, the Nendrai's creator (and the Verb-God of Change) is a sadist. She would have been Destruction but her younger brother Accanax wanted that position. And natural healing doesn't cause Nendrai pain, they can't use the Heal verb, so they have to rely on the Change verb the repair their injuries.

Yukitsu
2011-04-01, 12:30 PM
He's an omega. Ditto to space marines being sent to fight those though.

Mind you, the volcano one isn't a huge issue, their suits are proofed for magma environments, since they have to fight in them from time to time. Less the ultramarines, more the salamanders, but their armour is the same.

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 12:30 PM
The emperor who IIRC is a class alpha+ psyker. Can call up supernova like blasts of energy.

He took centuries to get there but...

The Emperor is stuck in the Golden Throne.

gbprime
2011-04-01, 12:31 PM
ok. one space marine. Roboute Guilliman. Your world accepts him as their spiritual liege. Space marines win

Except that Roboute is spending a few milennia dead for tax purposes. :smallwink: He'll be back once they figure out he's not dead, but until then, he's on ice. (Stasis.)

gbprime
2011-04-01, 12:32 PM

Actually he's not. Only his body sits there, and it's just a conduit to keep feeding him psychic energy. He's a warp entity now. (There's stuff wrong with him, depending on which source material you read, but he's quite powerful. He buffs his followers. :smallwink: )

Yuki Akuma
2011-04-01, 12:32 PM
Yukitsu, you forgot that their equipment arbitrarily doesn't work in just the right ways to make them completely defenseless.

Yukitsu
2011-04-01, 12:33 PM
Yukitsu, you forgot that their equipment arbitrarily doesn't work in just the right ways to make them completely defenseless.

That's not a tech property though, it's just 2 inch thick adamantium plating.

gbprime
2011-04-01, 12:36 PM
That's not a tech property though, it's just 2 inch thick adamantium plating.

Which can't move if the micro reactor in the suit doesn't work anymore thanks to there being no electromagnatism.

Remember, you can have as many marines as you want, they just can't use any of their stuff and all their skills are for naught. But other than that, who wins? :smalltongue:

LansXero
2011-04-01, 12:36 PM
Gnarn, the Nendrai's creator (and the Verb-God of Change) is a sadist. She would have been Destruction but her younger brother Accanax wanted that position. And natural healing doesn't cause Nendrai pain, they can't use the Heal verb, so they have to rely on the Change verb the repair their injuries.

I think WH40k has them beat, as far as sadism goes.

Astropaths cant go in murderous rampages because they are frail spindly little things, stunted growths and blind as a mole, and all the astronomican does is prevent them from becoming living warpgates, if I remember correctly. As far as magical volcanoes? Thats, no fanboyism involved, par for the course for WH40k. When they say they lose planets or whole armies due to decimal rounding errors its not a joke, that actually happens (you should read 15 hours). The threats they face routinely are of that magnitude and higher. Hell, eldars are way way older than a few thousands years old, and still get their asses handed to them by loyalist and traitor marine alike. Terminators are built to endure extreme heat and the vacuum of space; some of them have survived absurd things like planets blowing up or the whole atmosphere going up in flames and kept fighting (like the guys who lived through Istvan III). So yeah, cast "Destroy the World", so long as the physicas are somewhat similar, termies should still be standing. Mary Sue much? maybe, but then they'd be sort of tied at that.

Oh you didnt go there. The Emprah can, assuming he still has a way to reach their marines through the librarians and chaplains, summon a warp-storm inside the admitedly small setting. That should fix them up allright. (And there is no god of warp :D)

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 12:37 PM
This discussion isn't going to get very far if you insult everyone who attempts to answer it.

No electromagentism? That solves your issue right there. The moment the battle barge shows up and electromagnetism stops working, all of it's continent-scouring warheads lose the benefit of their containment fields and just detonate, eliminating the ship, everyone in it, and probably the nearest tree limb. End of scenario.

I think you misunderstand what an Astropath does.

An Astropath guides ships through the Warp using the Astronomicon as a beacon/compass. Because of what was done to them to make them into Astropaths the only thing keeping them sane is the Astronomicon. Out of curiosity what happens to an Astropath affected by the Tyranids psychic presence, or the Necrons complete lack of psychic presence?

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 12:40 PM
Which can't move if the micro reactor in the suit doesn't work anymore thanks to there being no electromagnatism.

Remember, you can have as many marines as you want, they just can't use any of their stuff and all their skills are for naught. But other than that, who wins? :smalltongue:

The Marines can use the local armour if they want, magically hardened WorldTree Amber, might be a step down in physical defense but it has it's own resistance to magic.

gbprime
2011-04-01, 12:41 PM
An Astropath guides ships through the Warp using the Astronomicon as a beacon/compass. Because of what was done to them to make them into Astropaths the only thing keeping them sane is the Astronomicon. Out of curiosity what happens to an Astropath affected by the Tyranids psychic presence, or the Necrons complete lack of psychic presence?

Wrong. A member of the Navis Nobilete (a guild navigator) guides the ship through the warp using the Astronomicon as a beacon.

An Astropath is a telepath with interstellar range, and a host of similar powers. They achieve this through a mind-meld with the Emperor himself, usually at the expense of their sight.

Neither of these two are dependant on the Astronomicon for anything other than targetting. And a clever or exceptionally skilled one (like the ones who hang out with space marines) doesn't even need that.

The Tyranids can jam an Astropath's interstellar transmissions and obscure the Astronomicon. But they don't care one way or the other about Necrons (apart from not wanting to get killed by them, of course).

EDIT - if you want one source for some information on how both these kinds of people work, I recommend the novel Execution Hour (http://www.amazon.com/Execution-Hour-Warhammer-000-Novels/dp/074341165X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301679914&sr=1-1).

Yukitsu
2011-04-01, 12:44 PM

That's not actually true. The crusade travelled through the warp using the same astropaths, and the astronomicon at that point didn't exist. They weren't going insane at any particularly accellerated rate. The astronomicon only acts as a guide, no more.

Actually, the entire setting would be wiped by a single assassin with the pariah gene.

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 12:50 PM
I think WH40k has them beat, as far as sadism goes.

Astropaths cant go in murderous rampages because they are frail spindly little things, stunted growths and blind as a mole, and all the astronomican does is prevent them from becoming living warpgates, if I remember correctly. As far as magical volcanoes? Thats, no fanboyism involved, par for the course for WH40k. When they say they lose planets or whole armies due to decimal rounding errors its not a joke, that actually happens (you should read 15 hours). The threats they face routinely are of that magnitude and higher. Hell, eldars are way way older than a few thousands years old, and still get their asses handed to them by loyalist and traitor marine alike. Terminators are built to endure extreme heat and the vacuum of space; some of them have survived absurd things like planets blowing up or the whole atmosphere going up in flames and kept fighting (like the guys who lived through Istvan III). So yeah, cast "Destroy the World", so long as the physicas are somewhat similar, termies should still be standing. Mary Sue much? maybe, but then they'd be sort of tied at that.

Oh you didnt go there. The Emprah can, assuming he still has a way to reach their marines through the librarians and chaplains, summon a warp-storm inside the admitedly small setting. That should fix them up allright. (And there is no god of warp :D)

The dimension is only seven-thousand years old.

No-one can actually cast "Destroy the World", it was a thought experiment about the upper ends of the magic system, a 2000-power Destro-Locador spell.( the strongest I've seen that can be realistically used in-system was 365-power)

"Here" might be able to stop the Emperor, maybe. He'd probably just chuck the Throne into the Eye of Terror, or at least try. Distance doen't really mean much to a guy who is Location/Space personified, he's probably Yog-Sothoth or Tzeentch in disguise, his personality definitely fits.

Warlawk
2011-04-01, 12:52 PM
An Astropath guides ships through the Warp using the Astronomicon as a beacon/compass. Because of what was done to them to make them into Astropaths the only thing keeping them sane is the Astronomicon. ?

Absolutely 110% wrong. The astronomicon is a lighthouse. It's a guidepoint, it has absolutely nothing to do with "keeping people sane".

So basically you started a thread to tell everyone how awesome your Mary Sue pet setting is?

I don't even see how this is an argument about the marines trying to kill everyone. Just because you're sure they'll fail despite knowing nothing about the setting and giving them arbitrary limitations on their technology, it doesn't mean they won't still try to purge the xenos.

This pretty well sums up the thread, there's not much point to posting a real response because the OP doesn't want one. He just wants more fodder to tell you how cool his pet setting is.

Sydonai, this is for you.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cott1200/temp/successful-troll.jpg

This thread is the most masterfully orchestrated troll I've seen in a while. It's got just enough hints of credibility to really pull people in and be believable.

EDIT: He even literally admitted to trolling the thread by trying to anger people. A straight up rules violation I might add.

Yukitsu
2011-04-01, 12:54 PM
In theory, the emperor would be strongest in the eye of terror, since he's a warp entity, and that's were all gods, not just the chaos ones, are at their most powerful, so he probably shouldn't do that.

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 12:55 PM
That's not actually true. The crusade travelled through the warp using the same astropaths, and the astronomicon at that point didn't exist. They weren't going insane at any particularly accellerated rate. The astronomicon only acts as a guide, no more.

Actually, the entire setting would be wiped by a single assassin with the pariah gene.

The Emperor is the Astronomicon, or at least it's source, and he was walking around back then so that probably counts.

Yukitsu
2011-04-01, 12:57 PM
The Emperor is the Astronomicon, or at least it's source, and he was walking around back then so that probably counts.

No, he's not. The astronomicon is the 10 thousand psykers thrown into the golden throne every day. The emperor is not the source of the power of the beacon, and even when he was alive, his power was directed to breaking into the webway, not to keeping the astropaths directed.

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 12:58 PM
Absolutely 110% wrong. The astronomicon is a lighthouse. It's a guidepoint, it has absolutely nothing to do with "keeping people sane".

This pretty well sums up the thread, there's not much point to posting a real response because the OP doesn't want one. He just wants more fodder to tell you how cool his pet setting is.

Sydonai, this is for you.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cott1200/temp/successful-troll.jpg

This thread is the most masterfully orchestrated troll I've seen in a while. It's got just enough hints of credibility to really pull people in and be believable.

EDIT: He even literally admitted to trolling the thread by trying to anger people. A straight up rules violation I might add.

...........I was trying to anger people that were being rude:smallfrown:, and I'm not trying to troll.:smallconfused: So what happened here, I trolled by accident?:smalleek:

edit: You people are contradicting eachother, get your stories straight.
edit2: "Here" is kinda insane, and Gnarn is just a Bi#%h on a power-trip.

terrashand
2011-04-01, 01:00 PM
So I'm just checking here. Since I answered the space marine question with the 2nd post and then answered for the 40k races at the beginning of page 2 what is still being discussed? Who would win?

40K races trapped without support: The Mary Sue setting considering the "gods" will step in and kill them. Short of that attrition will get them eventually.

40K races with support: 40K the only races that would be hard pressed would be Eldar and Tau due to the small populations.

These are taking into account that each race fights with only it's own race. Imperial races do count all "human" armies as allies they can call upon.

Cast the volcano spell if you want. While you are channeling that energy some one will put a round through you even if it takes a second or two. "Instant" or "with a thought" spells effectively take a second or two. We are talking about RPG settings.

gbprime
2011-04-01, 01:02 PM
No, he's not. The astronomicon is the 10 thousand psykers thrown into the golden throne every day. The emperor is not the source of the power of the beacon, and even when he was alive, his power was directed to breaking into the webway, not to keeping the astropaths directed.

Not quite. The Astronomicon is a choir of 10,000 trained psykers. They can only keep it up for a few short years before they're spent and replaced. After which time, they are fed into the golden throne along with all the dangerous, untrainable psykers to provide fuel for the Emperor.

It's a lovely genre. :smallamused:

LansXero
2011-04-01, 01:04 PM
The dimension is only seven-thousand years old

So nowhere as old as WH40k by any stretch of the imagination. How does erupting a volcano affect things that can eat stars? (And the Emperor kicked one of those and buried it in Mars. I think, I dont know enough WH40k lore).

"Here" might be able to stop the Emperor, maybe. He'd probably just chuck the Throne into the Eye of Terror, or at least try. Distance doen't really mean much to a guy who is Location/Space personified, he's probably Yog-Sothoth or Tzeentch in disguise, his personality definitely fits.

He cant be a chaos god because a chaos god physically manifesting in realspace would destroy realspace. Unless your dimension is just another Daemon World, he is not. And the eye of terror isnt a place, its a rift in location/space, so "Here" cant actually even know it exists. Its beyond Here's purview and totally alien to his nature.

Warlawk
2011-04-01, 01:07 PM
...........I was trying to anger people that were being rude:smallfrown:, and I'm not trying to troll.:smallconfused: So what happened here, I trolled by accident?:smalleek:

edit: You people are contradicting eachother, get your stories straight.
edit2: "Here" is kinda insane, and Gnarn is just a Bi#%h on a power-trip.

Trying to anger people is trolling, period, no accident about it. Using $!# type symbols to partially mask obscenity and bypass the filter is also a rules violation.

Yuki Akuma
2011-04-01, 01:12 PM

Nnnno, that's Navigators.

Astropaths are telepaths with absurdly huge range that are used to communicate between solar systems.

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 01:15 PM
Enough Marines would slaughter everything, because thats what they do apparently, they are mindless killing machines.

The Orks would probably like the retroactive nature of bound healing spells( your skull got crushed, then it gets repaired again, but most people can't afford that kind of magic, and the one that can can't afford too many of them). They'd somehow learn how to do it, get back to the WH40K universe and become the dominant power.

The Imperial Guard would try to go native......I'm not sure how successful they would be if they don't learn any magic.

The Eldar would build a new home in a new world without Slaanesh.

The Dark Eldar would would get eaten by Gnarn( because they deserve it and she deserves the S.T.D.s she'd catch from them).

The Tau would be all "Greater Good", and that would probably work on a lot of civilized Non-Primes.

The Tyranid would try and eat the Tree, find it inedible, eat the people and monster, then leave. The Gods might start over or they might follow the Tyranids.

.....I honestly don't know how the Necrons would react, theres probably someone crazy enough to worship the C'tan on the Tree.

Chaos would turn it into a Daemon-World.
(Oh God......that means that Slaanesh will finally get Furry Marines:smalleek:)

Sydonai
2011-04-01, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=Warlawk;10681491Using $!# type symbols to partially mask obscenity and bypass the filter is also a rules violation.[/QUOTE]

Really, I see people do it all the time on this board.

The Glyphstone
2011-04-01, 01:17 PM
Great Modthulhu: Locked for review.