View Full Version : Tarrasque Statblock

NineThePuma
2011-03-31, 11:18 PM
Tarrasque

Colossal Magical Beast (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 48d10+1536 (2016)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 60' (12 squares)
Armor Class: 56 (-8 size, +10 Dex, +30 natural, +12 Insight, +12 Luck), touch 26, flat-footed 34
Base Attack/Grapple: +48/+81
Attack: Bite +82 melee (4d8+37/18-20/×3)
Full Attack: Bite +82 melee (4d8+37/18-20/×3) and 2 horns +77 melee (1d10+28) and 2 claws +77 melee (1d12+28) and tail slap +77 melee (3d8+28)
Space/Reach: 30 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Augmented critical, frightful presence, improved grab, rush, swallow whole, spines
Special Qualities: Carapace, Amphibious, Telepathy, Unbreakable Body, Ruinous Destroyer, Unstoppable Tenacity, damage reduction 20/epic, damage reduction 5/-, immunity to fire, poison, disease, energy drain, ability drain, and ability damage, regeneration 40, scent, spell resistance 45,
Saves: Fort +56, Ref +46, Will +46
Abilities Str 60, Dex 31, Con 50, Int 18, Wis 29, Cha 29
Skills:
Feats: Endurance, Steadfast Determination
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 35
Treasure: None
Alignment: TN
Advancement: 49+HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: —

Description/background/characteristics

Combat

Ability descriptions

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

- Optional -

Lore

Plot Hook/Story if any

This is the (progress on the) Tarrasque of my homebrew setting, and I'm posting it MOSTLY to get my math checked and stuff. It has the Paragon Creature (ELH) template applied to it, and receives a few different buffs. Typically those buffs are in the form of some Epic Destiny goodness, a little Incarnum, and just a touch of optimization.

Any suggestions on feats or skills would be gladly welcomed.

Lyndworm
2011-04-01, 04:24 AM
I might be missing something, but shouldn't his health be 48d10+960 (1,224HP)?

Feats... Power Attack, Improved Bullrush, Shock Trooper, Leap Attack, Battle Jump, Leap of the Heavens, Improved Natural Attack (Bite, Horns, Claws, Tail Slap), Powerful Charge, Greater Powerful Charge, Combat Reflexes, Large and in Charge, Knockback, Mindsight, Cleave, Great Cleave, Weapon Focus (Bite), Improved Critical (Bite), Overwhelming Critical (Bite), Devastating Critical (Bite), Ability Focus (Frightful Presence, Devastating Critical)... All of the top of my head. I'm sure Savage Species would be a great inspiration, that thing is awesome.

Skills... Jump, Tumble, Hide, Move Silently, Use Magic Device, Spot, Listen... Just the basics, really.

NineThePuma
2011-04-01, 05:06 AM
Paragon Template grants +12 HP per hit die on top of the con boost. It also grants max hit points per die.

... Could you source some of those, please?

Lyndworm
2011-04-01, 05:50 AM
Paragon Template grants +12 HP per hit die on top of the con boost. It also grants max hit points per die.
Ah, cool. That should be correct, then.

... Could you source some of those, please?
Everything not on the SRD:

Shock Trooper
Complete Warrior, page 112

Leap Attack & Leap of the Heavens
Complete Adventurer, page 110 (make sure you check the Errata on Leap Attack)

Battle Jump
Unapproachable East, Page 142

Powerful Charge & Greater Powerful Charge
Miniatures Handbook, page 27
Eberron Campaign Setting, pages 57 & 54, respectively
Monster Manual III (Powerful Charge only)

Large and In Charge
Draconomicon (I forget the page)

Knockback
Races of Stone, page 142

Mindsight
Lords of Madness (I forget the page)

NineThePuma
2011-04-06, 12:57 AM
Shock Trooper
Complete Warrior, page 112Which part, explicitly, matters?

Leap Attack & Leap of the Heavens
Complete Adventurer, page 110 (make sure you check the Errata on Leap Attack) Just note that Leap of the Heavens is apparently PHB2.

Battle Jump
Unapproachable East, Page 142
Hawt. Can the Tarrasque naturally jump high enough to land on top of someone with this, or would that not activate the feat?

Powerful Charge & Greater Powerful Charge
Miniatures Handbook, page 27
Eberron Campaign Setting, pages 57 & 54, respectively
Monster Manual III (Powerful Charge only)
Sexy!

Large and In Charge
Draconomicon (I forget the page)
What does this do to fliers, do you know?

Knockback
Races of Stone, page 142
Hawt.

Mindsight
Lords of Madness (I forget the page)
Cannot obtain, see below. Will consider a similar ability, however.

Prerequisite: Telepathy special quality.

Any other suggestions?

Lyndworm
2011-04-06, 03:32 AM
Which part, explicitly, matters?
Well, I don't remember how the Bull Rush shenanigans interact with Knockback, but it seems like it could be interesting. Beyond that, subtracting from your monstrous AC for Power Attack instead of your to-hit is usually considered a good thing.

Just note that Leap of the Heavens is apparently PHB2.
Is it? My bad, sorry about that.

Hawt. Can the Tarrasque naturally jump high enough to land on top of someone with this, or would that not activate the feat?
That depends on his Jump check, but it seems likely. I've used a Thri-Kreen's natural jumping ability to trigger the feat before, and I've never had anyone ask about that. The feat says you have to fall from a certain height; it makes no mention of how you got up there.

What does this do to fliers, do you know?
Likely, if they've not yet moved far enough in that round to stay aloft they fall to the ground. Maneuverability of Good or better doesn't have that clause, though.

Cannot obtain, see below. Will consider a similar ability, however.
:smallconfused: Doesn't your templated Tarrasque have a Telepathy ability? I'm almost certain it's up there in Special Qualities.

Any other suggestions?
Not right now, sorry. If anything comes to me, I'll let you know.

NineThePuma
2011-04-06, 06:52 AM
oH, RIGHT, I added telepathy.

For the sole purpose of adding Mindsight ^^; Oops.

Lix Lorn
2011-04-06, 07:17 AM
Here's a question... TN, Int 18 and Telepathy. What's to stop people allying with it/talking to it? Why does it attack?

Mangles
2011-04-06, 07:56 AM
the main reason for shock trooper is to make sure power attack hits every time. Who cares about AC when everything is dead.

NineThePuma
2011-04-06, 12:52 PM
Here's a question... TN, Int 18 and Telepathy. What's to stop people allying with it/talking to it? Why does it attack?

To answer the first: Absolutely nothing. I'm treating the Tarrasque as, basically, Godzilla. While it has an Elder Evil like Sign (which I'm still working the kinks out of, mentally), it is actually not evil, or necessarily good. It is a manifestation of destruction and that's a big deal. You could argue it as an Aspect of nature's wrath. A pseudo-deity creature.

As for why it attacks... well, that's up to the DM. Maybe he's pissed off cause you've been upsetting the balance of life, killing far more than you should.