PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Dungeon: Speedy

NeverEnding DM
2011-04-01, 12:59 AM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a small room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, a torch is already lit, resting in a sconce near the room's single door.

Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2||S|
3|||
4|||[/table]

There is a door at C-4, south side.

DM notes:Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=284862)

NineThePuma
2011-04-02, 04:27 PM
Speedy mutters something in draconic as he scrambles over and douses the torch, casting the area into darkness. A moment later, he casts a globe of darkness over himself, his situating himself in A4 and sitting down to meditate, taking 20 on a concentration check to gain psionic focus.

term1nally s1ck
2011-04-02, 04:47 PM
You are focused. And sitting. And situating. Many ings.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 04:51 PM
Hi there! I'll be taking over for now.

Would you like to give me a general outline of the actions your character takes as you go through the dungeon, to speed up the process? For instance, some people poke the floors, or throw sandbags around, or so on and so forth. What, if anything, would you like to do in general?

NineThePuma
2011-04-02, 04:52 PM
Speedy, now psionically, walks over to the drow and carefully slides it open before glancing every which way with his darkvision.

ESPECIALLY up.

At any given time, Speedy should be treated as on the wall, switching between them with ease. He picks a direction and keeps sticking with it until given an option, and doesn't slow down just because of an encounter. I'll make a note as to what his actions are when he hits those encounters, but if he's moving forward, he's doing so using a double move and running on the wall.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 05:00 PM
Up the walls requires you to end your movement on the ground or fall. As such, you're going to need to touch the ground at least every one hundred feet given your speed.

Just checking to make sure you're aware of this.

The walls are twenty feet high. How far up them will you be running?

NineThePuma
2011-04-02, 05:03 PM
Up the walls requires you to end your movement on the ground or fall. As such, you're going to need to touch the ground at least every one hundred feet given your speed.

Just checking to make sure you're aware of this.

The walls are twenty feet high. How far up them will you be running?

I'm aware. Lets say 10 ft or so. That should give me 90 ft of movement on the walls, and I try to run at a diagonal when ascending and descending, meaning I can still traverse the 100ft, right?

Also, I switch walls every time I touch down.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 05:06 PM
The door slides open without issue.

Your darkvision reveals an unlit hallway running to the south and east.

South: The hall runs for thirty feet before teeing to the east and west. After twenty feet, it splits to the east.

East: The hall runs beyond the range of your darkvision. After ten feet, it splits to the north and south. After thirty feet, there is a door on the north side of the hall. After sixty feet, it splits to the north and south.

NineThePuma
2011-04-03, 12:45 AM
Speedy shoots off like an arrow, up the wall and running to the south, taking the first west turn. He follows this course until he either runs into an intersection or he sees some sort of encounter.

Jarian
2011-04-03, 12:47 AM
Would you like a passage-by-passage detailing of your journey, a cliffnotes version, or just a notification when something interesting happens?

NineThePuma
2011-04-03, 12:51 AM
A combination of cliff notes and "if something interesting happens" ideally. This build is a "stay away from people!" build and so I'm trying to speed run. I'm gonna head west til I can't head west no more, then blast a wall with fire and try to run a loop around the area, building up a map. Hopefully I can get to floor 2 really quick, but that's not guaranteed.

Jarian
2011-04-03, 12:57 AM
Well, I'll tell you right now that you've found the westernmost point on the map already, if that changes anything.

Edit: Well, you will find it in two steps, anyway.

NineThePuma
2011-04-03, 01:01 AM
Not a thing. XD

Jarian
2011-04-03, 01:11 AM
South to intersection, then west ten feet, south ten feet, east 100 feet, where you touch down to recover your wall-walking ability and the ground falls away beneath you. Reflex save.

Incidentally, you passed a door after sixty-five feet of this eastern travel.

NineThePuma
2011-04-03, 01:30 AM
[roll0]

Incidentally, for my graphing/mapping, do you recommend having two sheets vertical side by side or one lengthwise/horizontal?

Jarian
2011-04-03, 01:33 AM
Could you just post OOC questions normally? It makes it easier for me to be able to review the thread at a glance.

I would recommend a vertical layout.

You pass the save, and may end up on whichever side of the pit you wish. Having seen the door, where do you want to go?

NineThePuma
2011-04-03, 01:35 AM
Eh, I prefer to have a more clean thread, but given how little of our discussion has any bearing on IC thoughts or anything...

BEFORE I do anything, I'd like to walk down inside the pit and examine the bottom.

Jarian
2011-04-03, 01:38 AM
It's worked stone all the way down the five-foot square shaft, just like the rest of the hall. It's twenty feet deep. Is this relevant, or do you want to carry on?

NineThePuma
2011-04-03, 01:44 AM
I want to examine the bottom of the shaft, just to see what the bottom is. I'll move back to the door and press my ear up against it to try and hear through it.

[roll0]

Jarian
2011-04-03, 01:45 AM
Solid stone. You don't hear anything but your own breathing.

Going to bed, will pick this up tomorrow. Feel free to post your desired actions if anything has changed.

NineThePuma
2011-04-03, 01:46 AM
Speedy will open the door and drop a Darkness invocation inside, then take off running down the hall way in an effort to be on the other side of the pit.

Jarian
2011-04-03, 12:50 PM
Opening the door reveals the following room:
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3||||1|
4|||||
5||||| [/table]
There is a door at B5, which you are just outside of, and another at B1. There is an orc in the middle of the room, twirling a wickedly serrated spear between its hands as it performs what you assume to be combat maneuvers. Beneath its simple uniform, you make out the pattern and distinctive rustle of chainmail. Several javelins are strapped to a belt around its waist.

The orc pauses mid-swing as it notices you, adjusting its stance to one of calm readiness.

Initiative:[roll0]

Note that you have not yet used your Darkness invocation; initiative is rolled upon first contact.

NineThePuma
2011-04-03, 03:14 PM
[roll0] Initiative

Having won initiative decisively, I take the above mentioned "run the **** away" strategy, still dropping a Darkness invocation down. However, I drop the invocation on the orc, rather than the room in general. Ideally, I will halt on the other side of the pit and use the concealment granted by my Darkness invocation to make a hide check (see my next post).

NineThePuma
2011-04-03, 03:18 PM
[roll0] - Hide

Jarian
2011-04-03, 04:11 PM
The Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm) spell requires that you touch the object to shed darkness. Does the invocation change this?

NineThePuma
2011-04-03, 04:31 PM
Okay, then I dump one on the ground myself then run. ^^;;;

Been reading too much Forgotten Realms, where the darkness spell basically created a black orb where-ever the crap someone wanted it within range.

Jarian
2011-04-03, 04:40 PM
Are you still executing plan "ambush the orc", or are you hightailing it out of there?

NineThePuma
2011-04-03, 04:51 PM
I'm planning on hiding on the other side of the pit and seeing what he does.

Jarian
2011-04-03, 05:08 PM
The orc appears in the doorway, looks around a bit, notices your area of immersion-shattering lightness/darkness, and slams the door shut.

NineThePuma
2011-04-03, 05:32 PM
With a sigh, Speedy takes off again, marking the location of the orc on his mental map. He couldn't take the orc on at this point, and if his crisscrossing of the dungeon didn't find an exit (or the other side of the door opposite the one he was in), he'd have to come back and try the door on the other side.

Jarian
2011-04-03, 05:33 PM
After taking off again, will you be running first on the north or south wall of this hall? Yes, it's relevant.

NineThePuma
2011-04-03, 05:38 PM
[roll0] 1 is south, 2 is north. GAH, idiotic... grrr...

Jarian
2011-04-03, 05:45 PM
You continue east for fifty-five feet from the pit, where the hall turns north. You continue north for twenty feet, where the hall turns west. You continue west for thirty feet, where the hall turns south. You continue south for ten feet, where the hall turns west. You continue west for thirty feet, where the hall turns north. You continue north for ten feet, where the hall turns west. Five feet to the west, the hall ends in a blank wall.

What do?

Jarian
2011-04-05, 11:04 PM
*nudge*text

NineThePuma
2011-04-05, 11:06 PM
Whoopsies.

Hmm...

Speedy attempts to run up the wall and examine it near the top to see if there's a "top" area.

Jarian
2011-04-05, 11:07 PM
The halls are twenty feet tall. Which wall are you running up?

NineThePuma
2011-04-05, 11:11 PM
The one at the end. And then I'll run down one of the adjacent ones, up the opposite, and then down the dead end again.

BECAUSE I LIKE TRAPS TO HIT ME.

Jarian
2011-04-05, 11:18 PM
Rrrrmblerrrmblecrash!

When you place your foot against the wall, even without applying any pressure, the wall falls away with a rumbling crash, revealing the following room:

{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3||||1|
4|||||
5||||| [/table]
There is a door at B5 and another at B1, along with a hole in the wall at E-2, which you are just outside of. There is an orc in the middle of the room, twirling a wickedly serrated spear between its hands as it performs what you assume to be combat maneuvers. Beneath its simple uniform, you make out the pattern and distinctive rustle of chainmail.

The orc pauses mid-swing as it notices you, adjusting its stance to one of calm readiness.

NineThePuma
2011-04-05, 11:39 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

NineThePuma
2011-04-05, 11:46 PM
Speedy makes a 'squawk!' noise outside the room, and then attempts to dart over to the door on the north side of the room, put his back firmly against it, and takes a total defense action; he attempts a Hide Check ([roll0]) and a Move Silently Check ([roll1]) to be considered 'hidden' within the shadows of my Invocation.

If he sees through it, he's got a 20% miss chance, and my AC rests at 21.

Jarian
2011-04-06, 12:47 AM
He'll know where you're hiding, even if he can't see you. Just checking to make sure you're aware of this.

NineThePuma
2011-04-06, 12:58 AM
Of course. He knows that I'm hiding in an AREA. Even if he guesses the square right, I'm still 'invisible' to him, IIRC.

Jarian
2011-04-06, 12:12 PM
[roll0]

The orc tenses, unable to pin down your location, yet still ready to act.

NineThePuma
2011-04-06, 01:01 PM
Speedy leaves a Darkness Invocation on the ground just infront of the door frame, then tries to move back to the entrance he came from in the east wall.

[roll0] - Hide
[roll1] - Move Silently.

What sort of action would it be for Speedy to pick up a piece of rubble some gravel outside the room?

Jarian
2011-04-06, 05:08 PM
Move action.

[roll0] Reactive spot
[roll1] Active spot
[roll2] Reactive listen

Orc maintains readied action, having nothing better to do.

NineThePuma
2011-04-06, 06:49 PM
Speedy takes a move action to (quietly) pick up some gravel and begins placing Darkness invocations on them.

The Darkness spell was altered by TS in a very recent update; however, I'm ignoring this change until my character dies or I pass the floor. The alteration of the invocation greatly alters my strategy, and destroys my current "hide in plain sight" tactic. Should you decide to enforce that update, I've got a few things to work with.

Jarian
2011-04-06, 07:19 PM
I would rather keep current on NED rules. Why does this update destroy your character concept, exactly?

term1nally s1ck
2011-04-06, 07:28 PM
Darkness will function identically to 3.5 Darkness, unless the area you are in is already dark in some way.

In the corridors, you'll be generating total darkness, but since you have darkvision, you will be able to see as though the area is merely shadowy.

I struggle to see how the change has hurt your character....

NineThePuma
2011-04-06, 09:42 PM
The alteration seems to be cutting the range of darkvision, rather than disabling it as per the old version. In that scenario, my Darkness Invocation no longer grants me (what amounts to) HiPS. This means that against any foe with darkvision, hiding with the concealment granted by darkness is effectively disabled. Which is really unfortunate.

term1nally s1ck
2011-04-06, 09:51 PM
What that means is that Darkvision penetrates any darkness beyond the darkness caused by the invocation. If you use darkness in an area that is already dark, but they have darkvision, you still get the 20% concealment, and can hide, it just doesn't completely blind them and shut down their darkvision in the entire area.

NineThePuma
2011-04-06, 09:53 PM
... Could that be clarified to mean as such? Cause now I look like a dumbass.

BUT

Is also much more fun for me... Hmm...

term1nally s1ck
2011-04-06, 10:11 PM
I want to make it clear, but I really don't want it to be this big wordy thing. Any suggestions on how to make it both clear and concise?

NineThePuma
2011-04-06, 10:17 PM
"Decreases light by one step and disrupts Darkvision, turning it into low light vision" maybe?

term1nally s1ck
2011-04-06, 10:30 PM
It doesn't though, it just only allows it to pentrate the mundane part of the darkness.

NineThePuma
2011-04-06, 10:34 PM
"This darkness is not penetrated by Dark Vision?" =\

term1nally s1ck
2011-04-06, 10:36 PM
Still tends to suggest that if it was causing total darkness, they'd still see total darkness.

Anyway, I think I have it, I'll post the edited one later.

Jarian
2011-04-06, 11:17 PM
Assuming that's settled...

Orc maintains his readied action, has no chance to see you until you move. Go.

NineThePuma
2011-04-06, 11:22 PM
Assuming a minute passes, and Speedy now has a fist full of Darkness Stones. He takes a moment to chuck one into the far corner of the room.

[roll0] - Hide (assuming that I don't receive a -20 penalty for 'attacking' anyways).

Jarian
2011-04-06, 11:25 PM
You will, in fact, receive said penalty, and will need to snipe hide (including the move action) to do so. You'll also need a roll with an improvised weapon (-4 penalty for use, 10' range increment) to hit what you want to hit.

NineThePuma
2011-04-06, 11:38 PM
I'm not trying to hit ANYTHING in particular. :smallconfused:

But, alright.

[roll0] - Attack, throwing the entire handful at the blasted orc.

Move two squares back into the hallway.

Jarian
2011-04-07, 08:10 PM
[roll0] spot vs hide 14, with the penalty.

The orc pursues you with a roar of anger as he catches a flicker of your form, moving adjacent to you. (Readied action: move adjacent if he finds you.) You will provoke an attack of opportunity if you continue your movement back into the hall.

NineThePuma
2011-04-07, 10:36 PM
[roll0] - Tumble to avoid provoking Attacks of opportunity.

Ideally, I'll go back out into the hall and then make a fresh hide check.

[roll1]

Jarian
2011-04-07, 10:38 PM
I assume you went around the corner. If so, the orc does not pursue you as far as you can tell.

NineThePuma
2011-04-07, 10:44 PM
Rather than wait for the darkness invocations to fade, I'll go back to the south door to the chamber, moving at a hustle. By my math, that means I should be there in under 5 minutes, leaving me plenty of darkness to slide the door open, and move in toward the top door.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Jarian
2011-04-07, 10:45 PM
Heck, with your speed, you can make it there in two rounds.

Opening the door reveals that the orc has taken up position one square south of the opening in the wall, holding a javelin in one hand, clearly waiting for something.

Does that change anything?

NineThePuma
2011-04-07, 10:52 PM
While I am TEMPTED to breathe fire on him, then bolt into shadow again, ridiculously hit and run tactics aren't very fun. However...

Hmm... Yeah, I think I'll go ahead and breathe fire on him (DC 11 reflex save for half; [roll0] damage.) then bolt out the door to try and get back to the gap in the wall.

Speaking of gaps in walls, how high does the gap go? Could I enter by running on the wall?

[roll1]
[roll2]

Also... *copy pastes the code for my hide/move silently*

Jarian
2011-04-07, 10:58 PM
Reflex: [roll0]

He chucks his javelin at you as you breathe your fire.

[roll1] for [roll2]
Miss on 1-20: [roll3]
Wow. Epic fail.

The hole in the wall is five feet square, same as doors.

NineThePuma
2011-04-07, 11:02 PM
Alright. Hmm... I guess the assumption that he'd readied an action if I came through the gap in the wall was invalid.

Okay, how much of the room is shrouded in darkness?

Jarian
2011-04-07, 11:02 PM
The entire room is shrouded in darkness.

NineThePuma
2011-04-07, 11:03 PM
How high are the ceilings?

Jarian
2011-04-07, 11:06 PM
The ceilings in the halls and rooms are twenty feet high unless otherwise mentioned.

NineThePuma
2011-04-07, 11:09 PM
Speedy will breath MORE fire ([roll0]) and then attempt to run up the wall at an angle, and lose the Orc's ability to keep his eyes on Speedy in the murky shadows.

[roll1]
[roll2]

Jarian
2011-04-07, 11:10 PM

The orc goes down, bleeding out.

150 xp, medium chainmail, medium ripper, 2 javelins, sundark goggles.

NineThePuma
2011-04-07, 11:18 PM
*goes and updates sheet*

How heavy are the goggles?

Jarian
2011-04-08, 12:04 AM
I don't believe they have a listed weight.

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 12:07 AM
Alrighty.

What the crap is a 'Ripper'?

Oh, and I'll go open the north door and examine the hallway.

(just to confirm: So far, aside from the 'starting' chambers immediate vicinity, I have not missed any turns?)

Jarian
2011-04-08, 12:11 AM
Aside from the listed ones, no.

A ripper is from the Planar Handbook. It is, functionally, a greatsword in spear form that does piercing damage. 2d6, 19-20/x2, etc.

Out the northern door:

The hall runs to the east and west. To the east, it runs for five feet before turning north. To the west, it runs for fifteen feet before turning south.

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 12:12 AM
I'll take five minutes to go back and check each intersection and see how far they go. (by standing in the intersection and, you know, looking)

*fetches my graph paper*

Jarian
2011-04-08, 12:18 AM
Intersections near the starting room?

Okay.

East four-way split, ten feet east of starting room:

The hall runs to the north for twenty feet before turning east. The hall runs east beyond the range of your darkvision, revealing nothing not previously mentioned. The hall runs south for twenty feet before turning west, with a door on the east wall after fifteen feet.

South of first room, split east:

The hall runs east for ten feet before turning north.

T split south of first room, east passage:

The hall runs east for forty feet before turning north. After thirty-five feet, there is a door on the north side of the hall. There is a large red and white bullseye painted on the floor just outside of the door.

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 01:06 AM
Gah. Starting from the very beginning, plz?

Jarian
2011-04-08, 01:07 AM
Those, uh, were the intersections from the very beginning. Or were you looking for more detailed instructions?

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 01:10 AM
Just, in order as I encountered them, please. I think you went reverse...

Jarian
2011-04-08, 01:14 AM
I am unsure as to the order that you encountered them, but these were all visible from the starting room...

The door slides open without issue.

Your darkvision reveals an unlit hallway running to the south and east.

South: The hall runs for thirty feet before teeing to the east and west. After twenty feet, it splits to the east.

The hall runs east for ten feet before turning north.

South: The hall runs for thirty feet before teeing to the east and west.

The hall runs east for forty feet before turning north. After thirty-five feet, there is a door on the north side of the hall. There is a large red and white bullseye painted on the floor just outside of the door.

East: The hall runs beyond the range of your darkvision. After ten feet, it splits to the north and south. After thirty feet, there is a door on the north side of the hall. After sixty feet, it splits to the north and south.

The hall runs to the north for twenty feet before turning east. The hall runs east beyond the range of your darkvision, revealing nothing not previously mentioned. The hall runs south for twenty feet before turning west, with a door on the east wall after fifteen feet.

I hope that's clearer?

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 01:23 AM
Thank you. Um... Hmm... I'll go to the door, and repeat my Door Opening Procedure of 'Hit myself with a darkness Invocation and then open it and make a hide check."

[roll0]

Jarian
2011-04-08, 01:27 AM
There are two doors mentioned in the above post. Which one?

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 01:32 AM
The second one. Sorry. (Also, my maps have been destroyed for some strange reason. >.<;;

Jarian
2011-04-08, 01:35 AM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4||||B|H[/table]
There is a door at A-2, which you are just outside of, another at E-4, south side and another at E-3. There is a human wearing a chain shirt and holding a longsword standing behind a beast with patchy dark fur that covers its unhealthy shrunken black skin in some places. Open sores dot its hide and a feral, catlike head glances with it's blank eyes at the wall in front of it.

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 01:57 AM
[roll0] - Init

still hiding, since it doesn't take an action.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 02:14 AM
Is that the extent of your actions, or are you considering?

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 02:21 AM
Yes. Both. Consider it a delayed action.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 02:23 AM
The beast disappears as the man quickly crosses to the opened door. He wiggles his fingers strangely, and then...

http://nottheremin.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/psychedelic.jpg

A blast of colors floods the hallway.

Will save please.

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 02:28 AM
[roll0]

And I died. But now I have a map and rough stats.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! NAT 20!

Jarian
2011-04-08, 03:49 AM
Nat 20 obviously succeeds.

Your move.

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 03:51 AM
Speedy responds to this by immediately shooting a breath of fire in a cone ([roll0]) at the mage ((Meta-wise, I'm thinking Duskblade) and then runs like a lunatic up the wall and around the corner, then drops to the ground.

He then pokes his head back around the corner.

[roll1]

I assume that breaking contact will allow me to be... well, hiding again.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 03:53 AM
The door slams shut.

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 03:57 AM
Holy crap you're still on. Hmmm... Well, Speedy being speedy, he has determined that he is highly unlikely to be that lucky again.

He bolts all the way back to the collapsed wall and dead orc, fashions a loose bag out of a strip of the orc's clothing, and picks up some gravel (two hadnfuls, lets say... 5 individual stones per hand). He will then carry the gravel to the door that he HASN'T opened yet, slide it open a quarter of the way and look inside.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 04:15 AM
Doors in D&D are binary, unfortunately. There's either open or shut, nothing in between. Does that change anything?

There are also two doors that you haven't opened in the spellcaster's room, so you'll have to be a bit more specific.

Unless you were referring to another door altogether, in which case please specify. :smallsmile:

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 04:17 AM
The door nowhere near the casters room. The "other" door.

However, my map is being dumb and overlapped with itself twice. So it's possible that I will open a door on the other side of the room from the spell caster.

And I guess I'll open it all the way and look in.

[roll0]

Jarian
2011-04-08, 04:21 AM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||L||
4|||||
5|||||[/table]
There are doors at A5 south, which you are just outside of, and E1 north.

Near the center of the room, a horribly ugly creature with dingy blue scales marred here and there by large, pinkish-white sections of scar tissue stands at the ready, tongues of blue fire licking fanglike white teeth. The creature appears to be wearing chainmail beneath the remnants of an outfit that is almost entirely burned away, with only a few charred remnants remaining.

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 04:24 AM
... Why is it always fire?

Alright, I'm going to go ahead and take a move action, and try to stealth my way over to the opposite door.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Jarian
2011-04-08, 04:27 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Jarian
2011-04-08, 04:28 AM
Active listen: [roll0]

If fail, [roll1] SW,NW,NE,SE.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 04:30 AM
He makes out your general location and breathes a cone of fire over the northeast corner of the room. Take [roll0]/2 damage, reflex half, minimum 1. If you take any damage, you are entangled by stands of fire for [roll1] rounds.

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 04:33 AM
Does me being entangled render me visible?

(I literally can't believe that. I'm not rolling a reflex save, cause I can't avoid getting hit by it.)

Jarian
2011-04-08, 04:35 AM
The dungeon... is not known for its fairness. I only roll the dice. :smallwink:

RAW, being entangled by fire does not, in fact, render you visible. Continue.

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 04:37 AM
Then I continue my previous endeavor.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Jarian
2011-04-08, 04:39 AM
You already made it to the other door. What previous endeavor are you, er, endeavoring to continue?

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 04:44 AM
Oh, I thought I was a square away.

Hmm... Well then, I take my 1 damage again from entanglement, and wait for it to fade. Once I am free, I'd like to have an action readied to open the door and run away like a pansy.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 04:46 AM
The fire deals 1d6 damage, not 1. Does that change anything?

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 04:52 AM
Doesn't it deal half on the following turn?

... Actually, you know what, no it doesn't change a damn thing. Either I die or I live. The dice will decide my fate.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 04:58 AM
So, to be clear, you're going to stand still by the door until the fire burns away?

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 05:00 AM
I have run out of actions for this turn. All I can do is wait for the next round.

Wait, misread.

Yeah, this changes nothing. I can't run fast enough to get away and maintain stealth.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 05:02 AM
Your turn > Move to door.

His turn > Breathe fire.

Your turn > ?

It's your turn at present, unless I missed something.

'kay.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 05:03 AM
Take [roll0] fire damage from the entanglement.

The creature then breathes fire over the [roll1] SW, NW, NE, SE corner of the room. If 3, take another [roll2] fire damage, reflex half.

Your turn again, if you care to do something.

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 05:08 AM
Now I slam the door open and take the left hand path. At a full sprint.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 05:11 AM
Please note that you're still entangled until the start of the creature's next turn. I assume by "full sprint" you had assumed you could move normally, so... throwing that out there.

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 05:16 AM
... I can't? *blink* I thought I was done being entangled since it breathed fire at the other corner.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 05:19 AM
Redacted information.

Your entanglement is still active, trust me. Until the start of the creature's next turn. What does that change?

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 05:33 AM
Makes me have a max move of 50 ft. So... How big was that cone?

Jarian
2011-04-08, 05:37 AM
15 ft. cone.

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 07:05 AM
Then, yeah, I should be able to make it to JUST beyond the range if I blow a move action to open the door then move to my 25 ft 1/2 move speed in an effort to escape.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 02:24 PM
Move silently check please, unless you don't care if he hears where you go.

NineThePuma
2011-04-08, 04:35 PM
Nothing else has followed me outta the room. Here's to hoping that this thing doesn't break the norm.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 09:01 PM
Take another [roll0] damage from the entanglement.

The door slides shut behind you.

NineThePuma
2011-04-10, 07:05 PM
1/6 HP remaining.

Hallway Description?

Jarian
2011-04-10, 07:56 PM
From the doorway:

The hall runs to the east and west. To the east, it runs for twenty feet before turning south. There is a door on the north wall of the southern bend.

To the west, it runs for sixty feet before turning north. After ten feet, there is a split north. After thirty feet, there is a split south. After fifty feet, there is a split north.

NineThePuma
2011-04-12, 01:00 AM
Door, open, examine room. I assume my Darkness is still up, allowing me to hide: if it isn't, I recast it.

[roll0] - Hide

[roll1] - Initiative

Jarian
2011-04-12, 04:38 AM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_
1||||
2||C|C|
3||C|C|
4||C|C|
5||||[/table]
An extremely oversized wooden chest occupies the room, with a note on a string attached to the unlocked latch. There are doors at C5, which you are just outside of, along with D2 and D1 north.

NineThePuma
2011-04-12, 12:08 PM
Why is my first instinct "Giant evil Mimic"? :smallannoyed:

Alright, gonna try to inspect the room carefully and stay as far away from it as I can.

Jarian
2011-04-12, 05:55 PM
Giant Evil Mimics generally have a CR much higher than what you would be expected to fight here. Just saying.

It is a room. It looks like all the other rooms. Running around the walls repeatedly does nothing except make you dizzy.

Jarian
2011-04-12, 11:01 PM
*nudge*text

NineThePuma
2011-04-12, 11:05 PM
Speedy, dizzy, runs over the chest a couple times, and breathes fire at the lock!

Jarian
2011-04-12, 11:08 PM
The lock with the highly flammable paper note of unknown merit? The lock that is not, in fact, locked at present? That lock?

NineThePuma
2011-04-12, 11:10 PM
Yes! Speedy is dizzy, and not thinking right.

Just to be safe, Can I do it from outside?

Jarian
2011-04-12, 11:12 PM
Can't say I didn't try...

Yes. You can, in fact, torch the unlocked lock and the note from outside the room if you want to.

NineThePuma
2011-04-12, 11:21 PM
Well, my logic is that it's an Exploding Notes or whatever. And reading those is ALWAYS dumb. Torch it, and run away like a pansy.

Jarian
2011-04-12, 11:24 PM
You torched the note. The note that explained how to operate the chest. The note is now ash. You have one (1) burned note. Cue victory music.

Where to?

NineThePuma
2011-04-12, 11:26 PM
... South, out the door.

Besides, it's not like my carrying capacity is good enough to be worth whatever is in the chest. Unless it's the exit.

Jarian
2011-04-12, 11:27 PM
Well, yes, but you entered from the southern door. I'm going to need a destination or travel route. :smallwink:

NineThePuma
2011-04-12, 11:29 PM
South, out the door, and then follow the hallway south.

Jarian
2011-04-13, 01:47 PM
The hall runs south for twenty feet before teeing to the east and west. At the T, the hall runs west for ten feet before turning south, and east for ten feet before ending in a blank wall.

NineThePuma
2011-04-13, 02:11 PM
Run up the blank wall.

Jarian
2011-04-13, 08:58 PM
At your touch the wall crumbles, the wall reveals the following room:
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_
1||||||
2||||||
3||||||
4|||1|||
5||||||
6||||||[/table]

There is a door at A-6 west, another at E-1 and another at F-4. There is also a hole in the wall at A-4, which you are just outside of. Inside the room, there is a kobold wearing a chain shirt and holding a short sword. It looks up in surprise, then shoots a glare in your direction.

NineThePuma
2011-04-13, 09:41 PM
[roll0]

Initiative.

"Hey, before you kill me, can I ask you a question?" Speedy takes the time to ask, making no attempt to hide (yet).

He readies an action to move 40 feet back the way he came if the Kobold moves toward him.

Jarian
2011-04-13, 10:45 PM
Double posting would be preferable to editing your initiative posts. I didn't realize you had chosen your actions because the thread didn't update.

"Hm, nope."

The kobold chases after you, shadows swirling around him as he goes. You run back forty feet, ending just around the corner of the entrance to the room with the treasure chest. The kobold ends adjacent to you, standing just outside the door. Attacks against the kobold suffer a 20% miss chance from concealment.

NineThePuma
2011-04-13, 11:11 PM
Apologies. I thought I would've been fast enough to catch you while you weren't around.

[roll0] - Tumble to avoid provoking AoOs.

Assuming Success, speedy runs back to the room and slams the door behind him.

Jarian
2011-04-13, 11:14 PM
Into the room with the chest?

You need to be adjacent to the door to manipulate (close) it, so that'll only put you just inside the room... and the kobold can just open the door if he wants to. Checking to be sure you're aware of this.

NineThePuma
2011-04-13, 11:15 PM
No, to go around the kobold, and back into HIS room.

And close the door to...

[roll0] - Hide

Jarian
2011-04-13, 11:19 PM
The... door...?

You knocked down a wall. There is no door. :smallconfused:

NineThePuma
2011-04-13, 11:21 PM
Then I go back in, round the corner, and hide. >=\

I forgot about the wall thing ^^;;

Jarian
2011-04-15, 11:26 PM
The kobold comes running back around the corner. He can't beat your hide check, so he spends the remainder of his turn looking around in confusion.

Your move.

NineThePuma
2011-04-15, 11:31 PM
Speedy stays concealed, taking a five foot step away from the kobold and reaching down to apply the Darkness Invocation to the ground.

Assuming that the Kobold doesn't do anything, he continues to do this repeatedly.

[roll0]

Jarian
2011-04-17, 01:14 AM
You have one (1) room filled with darkness. What now?

NineThePuma
2011-04-17, 01:17 AM
Breath fire, of course!

[roll0]

Jarian
2011-04-18, 12:55 PM
Ref: [roll0]

Edit: Where are you breathing the fire from? It's relevant.

NineThePuma
2011-04-18, 01:39 PM
2 squares away, center of the room, trying to aim down the hall.

Jarian
2011-04-19, 01:23 PM
The kobold moves up and stabs blindly at the square in which the fire originated, shortsword bursting into flames as he does.

[roll0] for [roll1] plus [roll2] fire damage.

Miss chance: [roll3] 1 misses.

NineThePuma
2011-04-19, 02:09 PM
That missed.

Jarian
2011-04-20, 01:14 PM
Yes indeed. That makes it your turn. :smallwink:

NineThePuma
2011-04-20, 03:04 PM
FIRE!

[roll0]

Jarian
2011-04-22, 01:17 PM
Given that you're planning on re-entering as the duo version of this with Morph Bark, this is more or less on hold for the time being. Just a heads up so you don't think I've forgotten.

NineThePuma
2011-04-22, 01:50 PM
I actually would like to wrap this section up. If the kobold lives, he can kill me, and then I'll be fine |3

Jarian
2011-04-22, 01:53 PM
Fair enough.

I guess he goes down then.

150 xp, small shortsword, masterwork tumble tool, small chain shirt

NineThePuma
2011-04-22, 02:03 PM
... Damnit. I'm at ONE HP. WHY can't I find something to kill me?

I'll leave out the north door and follow the left wall. I'll open the first door I come across.

Jarian
2011-04-22, 02:09 PM
Opening the northern door reveals a hall running to the east and west. To the east, it runs for thirty-five feet before turning south, with a split north after five feet. To the west, it runs for twenty-five feet before turning north. You head west.

At the bend, the hall runs north for thirty feet before turning west, with a door on the west wall after twenty feet and a split east at the same distance. Opening the door reveals the room with the oversized chest and the torched note.

NineThePuma
2011-04-22, 02:11 PM
From here, I back track my way to the room with the dragon thing. Open it, five foot step in, and shoot it. With Fire.

[roll0] - Init

[roll1] - Damage

Jarian
2011-04-22, 02:12 PM
Erm... dragon thing?

You'll have to be a little clearer. There are several things that could be taken as such on this level.

NineThePuma
2011-04-22, 02:18 PM
The thing that nearly killed me.

Jarian
2011-04-22, 02:22 PM
Oh, Burny Bernie. Quite a charmer, isn't he?

Jarian
2011-04-22, 02:23 PM
Bernie fwooshes the opened door.

[roll0]/2 fire damage, reflex half, minimum 1, entangled for [roll1] rounds if you take any damage.

NineThePuma
2011-04-22, 02:24 PM
And I fall to the ground, disabled. Drop prone is my action.

Jarian
2011-04-22, 02:25 PM
Derp.

[roll0] rounds of entanglement, not that it matters.

Jarian
2011-04-22, 02:27 PM
Fwoosh. [roll0] fire damage, reflex half.

Burning entanglement. [roll1] fire damage.

Speedy is toasty now, unless I miss my guess.

NineThePuma
2011-04-22, 02:43 PM
yeah. Dead and dying.