PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Dungeon: Anarias

Pages : [1] 2

NeverEnding DM
2011-04-01, 01:20 AM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a small room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, a torch is already lit, resting in a sconce near the room's single door.

Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2||S|
3|||
4|||[/table]

There is a door at C-4, south side.

DM notes:Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=271584)

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 08:35 AM
Anarias looks around him, draws his rapier on one hand and his lockpicks in another, and moves to the door. He searches it for traps, disables any traps, and then unlocks it if locked. If not he opens it and moves outside.

Search: [roll0]
Disable Device: [roll1]
Open Lock: [roll2]
Move Silently: [roll3]

Jarian
2011-04-01, 09:03 AM
The thick lead door slides away on well-oiled rollers, revealing... another door?

This one seems to slide open in the opposite direction.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 10:34 AM
Anarias narrows his eyes and checks this door more carefully for traps before attempting to open it.

Search: Taking 20 for a 26.
Disable Device: [roll0]
Open Lock: [roll1] If it is locked and that doesn't work I'll take 20 for a 27.

Jarian
2011-04-01, 10:37 AM
It is a door. It's made of lead, about a foot thick as far as you can tell. It slides, using a shallow depression in one side as a "handle", though it appears impossible to brace anything against the depression in such a way as to block the door shut, as any pressure would cause the bracing object to simply slide out.

The door slides open easily, revealing a brick-and-mortar wall.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 10:56 AM
Anarias rolls his eyes and sighs silently. He searches the wall for any secret latch carefully, and then he begins to search the walls of the room around him if that reveals nothing.

Take 20 searching the door for a 26, and then I spend a round searching each section of wall if the door reveals nothing. He moves clockwise.
B4: [roll0] A4: [roll1] A3: [roll2] A2: [roll3] A1: [roll4] A1: [roll5] B1: [roll6] C1: [roll7] C2: [roll8] C3: [roll9]

And a disable device + open lock if he needs it:
Disable Device: [roll10]
Open Lock: [roll11]

Jarian
2011-04-01, 10:58 AM
Your first tentative prod at the wall in search of hidden surprises reveals a doozie - the wall isn't actually there!

It seems some vindictive illusionist left a surprise for you.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 11:01 AM
A faint memory comes to Anarias, though he has never been in this dungeon before. Words come unbidden to his mouth:
"Rainbow man, I'm coming for you."

He draws a dagger into his off hand and slips into Punishing Stance, then moves through the wall.

Jarian
2011-04-01, 11:07 AM
The moment you step through the wall, you feel a slight resistance as one of your feet catches a wire concealed in the illusory wall. A sharp twang! resounds through the hall, and then...

...you feel very wet. A now-empty bucket clatters to the floor at your feet. There seems to be a note attached to the bottom of the bucket, though you can't make out any wording by darkvision alone.

Do you remember the layout of the first section of the dungeon from your first trip through here, or would you like me to describe it again?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 11:10 AM
Anarias shoves the note into his pocket, to read later. Perhaps he'll read it while burning the body of a certain illusionist.

(I have the first part; let me know if anything's changed or if I recall anything incorrectly.)

He moves 20 feet south down the hall and then turns east, heading a 10 feet before turning north again. We he comes to the first door he pauses, and checks it for traps.

Search: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Jarian
2011-04-01, 11:14 AM
Opening the door reveals the following room:
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4||||H|H[/table]
There is a door at A-2, which you are just outside of, another at E-4, south side and another at E-3. There is a human wearing a chain shirt and holding a longsword standing near the southeast door, holding what seems to be a heated conversation with what appears to be an identical twin standing beside him. The two look up from their glares at each other as you enter, then smile knowingly.
Initiative:[roll0]

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 11:22 AM
Anarias (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=271584)
Male True Neutral Whisper Gnome Rogue/Warblade, Level 1, Init +9, HP 15/15, Speed 30ft.
AC 18, Touch 16, Flat-footed 13, Fort +5, Ref +8, Will -1, Base Attack Bonus 1,
Rapier +7 (1d4, 18-20/x2)
Dagger (2) +7 (1d3, 19-20/x2)
Leather Armor (+2 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Size)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 4
Condition Punishing Stance: -2 AC, +1d6 damage.

Crapity-crap. It used to be an obvious illusion. :smalltongue:

At least I auto-win initiative. Yay. [roll0]

Anarias moves in quickly, darting across the room to D2 then down to D3. He focuses his mind and swings his blades as one, his Wolf Fang Strike lashing out at the two men, one blade for each.

Attack1, at D4: [roll1]
Damage1: [roll2] + Sneak Attack [roll3] + Punishing Stance [roll4]

Attack2, at E4: [roll5]
Damage2: [roll6] + Sneak Attack [roll7] + Punishing Stance [roll8]

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 11:24 AM
Anarias's focus on one attack makes it super effective, but causes the other one to miss entirely.

Confirmation: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

I know Sneak Attack isn't multiplied, but I don't know if Punishing Stance is multiplied on a crit; here's a roll anyway: [roll2]

Jarian
2011-04-01, 11:25 AM
You nearly manage to put out your own eye with your first swing, but your second takes your foe in the neck, resulting in a surprised gurgle of pain and a spray of blood.

The creature's 'twin' vanishes into thin air as your struck foe recoils and wiggles his fingers awkwardly...

Concentration: [roll0]

...but nothing seems to happen.

He slides open the door at E-4.

Edit: Bonus damage dice are not multiplied on a critical. This includes Punishing Stance and similar unless they have wording to the contrary.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 11:30 AM
Anarias begins to laugh, and he lashes out with his Sapphire Nightmare Blade, concentrating on the fleeing man.

Concentration vs AC: [roll0]

If it succeeds he's flatfooted. If not, I get a -2 to attack.

Attack w/ rapier: [roll1]

Damage: [roll2] + Punishing Stance [roll3] + Sneak Attack if the Concentration check succeeds [roll4]

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 11:32 AM
Crit confirmation (I'll start leaving one in my post just in case): [roll0]

Damage: [roll1] + Punishing Stance (still unsure if this multiplies) [roll]1d6]

Oh, and the Sapphire Nightmare Blade adds a d6. Please add this to the origional damage, crit or not: [roll2]

Sorry about all that.

Jarian
2011-04-01, 11:33 AM
Your rapier takes him in the heart, and he slides to the ground, lifeless.

150xp, if my memory is correct.

Should you loot all of his possessions, you will receive:

1 Medium-sized Chain Shirt
1 Medium-sized Longsword
1 expended scroll, now merely a used sheet of parchment.

What do you wish to do now?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 11:40 AM
Anarias ignores the loot and looks through the door that the man way trying to go through. On the way he steps on his face contemptuously. "Take that, rainbow man."

Jarian
2011-04-01, 11:43 AM
A large red and white bullseye is painted on the floor directly outside of the door. Looking about, you can see that to the east, the hall turns north after five feet, and to the west, it runs for forty-five feet before turning south, with a split north after thirty-five feet.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 11:46 AM
Anarias takes his time searching for traps for a 26.

If he finds any: Disable Device [roll0]

He drops the Punishing Stance and reprepares his maneuvers. Then he steps out and heads east then north.

Jarian
2011-04-01, 11:50 AM
Your careful eye notices that there are scrape marks through the paint of the bullseye, as though something heavy was dragged along the hallway, but you don't find anything in the way of a trap.

Would you like to set a standard operating procedure for traversing the hallways? It will speed up the exploration process considerably. (Search for traps every x squares, taking 10/20, poke walls/floors/doors, etc, etc)

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 11:53 AM
Hm. I'm going to throw caution to the wind (and trust my reflex save) and only search for traps in the squares in front of doors. This may come back to bite me, but I think I'll be fine.

Jarian
2011-04-01, 12:00 PM
You head east, then north for twenty feet, passing a door on the west after ten feet (which clearly leads back into the room you just left). At the end of the northern hall, the corridor turns east, running for twenty feet before turning north. After fifteen feet, there is a door on the southern wall of the hall.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 12:03 PM
Anarias searches it for traps, and attepts to disable them, if there. He then readies both weapons and enters Punishing Stance before opening the door.

Search: take 20 for a 26.

Disable Device: [roll0]

Jarian
2011-04-01, 12:07 PM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3||||1|
4|||||
5||||| [/table]
There is a door at B5, and another at B1, which you are just outside of. There is an orc in the middle of the room, twirling a wickedly serrated spear between its hands as it performs what you assume to be combat maneuvers. Beneath its simple uniform, you make out the pattern and distinctive rustle of chainmail.

The orc pauses mid-swing as it notices you, adjusting its stance to one of calm readiness.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 12:11 PM
"Hey there, ugly." Anarias moves quickly, (Initiative [roll0]) and rushes to the orc, attacking him with both weapons again.

AttackRapier: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] + Punishing [roll3] + Sneak [roll4]

AttackDagger: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6] + Punishing [roll7] + Sneak [roll8]

RapierCritConfirmation: [roll9]
Damage: [roll10] + Punishing [roll11]

DaggerCritConfirmation: [roll12]
Damage: [roll13] + Punishing [roll14]

Jarian
2011-04-01, 12:14 PM
"Stabsy... not even... get one line... in whole movie... Not fair... urgh."

150 xp.

Assuming you loot everything, you will receive:

1 Medium-sized Ripper (Planar Handbook)
1 Medium-sized Chainmail
1 pair of Sundark Goggles (Races of the Dragon)
Assorted treasure for which I will roll later.

Where to now?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 12:41 PM
"Thank's for the workout, bigjobs." Anarias takes the goggles, puts them on, and takes the money, leaving the weapon and armor.

He goes to the door at B5, searches it, and opens it.

Disable device, just in case: [roll0]

Jarian
2011-04-01, 12:44 PM
Opening the door reveals a hallway running to the east and west.

To the west, it runs beyond the range of your darkvision, with no apparent features that you can see.

To the east, it likewise runs beyond the range of your darkvision, with no apparent features.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 12:47 PM
Anarias thinks for a moment, and then decides to head East.

(what do the goggles do, exactly? As far as he can tell, that is.)

Jarian
2011-04-01, 12:48 PM
Sundark Goggles allow creatures with light sensitivity to avoid that penalty in daylight.

Basically, they're sunglasses.

Thirty feet to the east, the floor abruptly buckles beneath your feet. Reflex save.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 12:53 PM
Anarias sighs. "Stupid carrying capacity. Stupid 10-foot poles."

Reflex: [roll0]

Jarian
2011-04-01, 12:55 PM
You make the save. You may end up on whichever side of the pit you wish.

Looking down the five-foot wide pit, you see that it extends downward for twenty feet before ending in a mass of bones and half-rotted corpses. Apparently you are not the first to come by this way.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 12:57 PM
Anarias smirks and lands on the other side of the pit. "Take that, fate." He keeps walking, still cautiously moving silently.

Forgot about this:
Move Silently: [roll0]

Jarian
2011-04-01, 12:58 PM
After another forty feet of travel, the floor buckles beneath your feet again.

On the plus side, you can see that the hallway turns north after another fifteen feet - if you manage to make it over the pit, that is.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 01:02 PM
Anarias jumps again. "This is getting old!"

Reflex Save: [roll0]

If he doesn't die horribly he continues and heads north.

Jarian
2011-04-01, 01:05 PM
You barely land on the lip of the newly formed pit, windmilling wildly as you struggle to keep your balance. But keep your balance you do, and continue on doggedly.

The hall runs north for twenty feet before turning west, then continues west for thirty feet before turning south, then continues south for ten feet before turning west again. Five feet down the southern hall, the floor drops out from under your feet. Again.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 01:08 PM
Anarias finally gives in to reason as he jerks in surprise. "I need to start searching for these, don't I?"

He'll start searching every square in this hallway, not taking 10 or 20. If he lives, that is.

Also, I've had a great time, but I must leave for now. I look forward to picking up where we left off as soon as I return, and I thank you for DMing for me. :smallsmile:

EDIT- It may be moot if I die. Let's see how hard I hit, shall we?

Jarian
2011-04-01, 01:09 PM
Ker-splat.

You fall, taking [roll0] bludgeoning damage, and now have a twenty foot climb ahead of you to continue. You have corner and chimney modifiers on this climb check.

Seeya.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 01:15 PM
Last post, then: Anarias drinks a Potion of Faith Healing to heal for 8 and starts climbing.

Climb: [roll0] The DC is lowered by 15, which is nice.

Jarian
2011-04-01, 09:18 PM
Without a negative modifier, it's impossible for you to fail in a meaningful fashion.

You climb out, on whichever side you like. Where to?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 09:21 PM
Yay, I found internet.

Anarias climbs out on the far side; the side he was headed towards. He begins to search each square ahead of him, taking a full-round action to search. He does not take 10.

If and when he does reach a square with a trap, here are some rolls.

search: [roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

Jarian
2011-04-01, 09:24 PM
You continue south to the bend, then west for thirty feet before the hall turns north, then north for ten feet before the hall turns west, then west for five feet before...

...you run into a blank wall. A quick glance tells you that something is odd about the wall, but you aren't quite sure what it is.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 09:27 PM
Anarias takes his time searching the wall for anything unusual, for a 26.

Jarian
2011-04-01, 09:30 PM
It looks... off. You're no stonesmith, but you're pretty sure walls are supposed to look sturdier than that.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 09:33 PM
Anarias draws his dagger and rapier and enters his Punishing Stance. He attempts to tap the wall, very lightly, with the tip of his rapier.

Jarian
2011-04-01, 09:36 PM
tap.

RRRRMMBBLLECRASH!

The wall falls away, revealing Stabsy's room.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 09:39 PM
Anarias groans and enters the room, walking on top of the orc again. He heads the way that will not lead him to an endless pile of pitfall traps.

Jarian
2011-04-01, 09:40 PM
North door, then?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 09:42 PM
North door, then?

Yep. He'll head back to the illusionist's room, out the door he entered that room through, and then north down that hallway. Once he reaches squares that he hasn't encountered yet he'll start searching them.

Search checks if he encounters traps: [roll0] [roll1]

Jarian
2011-04-01, 09:46 PM
Back out the illusionist's door:

The hall runs north for thirty-five feet. After fifteen feet, it splits to the east and west.

Five feet before the split, you step upon a(nother) pit trap that you failed to notice. The floor falls away beneath you. Reflex save.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-01, 09:48 PM
It's DC 25? Really? Kord darn it.

Jarian
2011-04-01, 09:53 PM
You pass the save, ending up on whichever side of the pit you like.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 06:00 AM
Anarias end up on the north side of the pit and begins to head East. He takes his time searching every square, for a 26 on his Search check.

If he finds another pitfall trap; Disable Device: [roll0]

(Are there any time limitations? Taking 20 takes about 2 minutes a square. It's why I was hesitant to do it earlier.)

Jarian
2011-04-02, 11:02 AM
There are no time limitations except for needing sleep, food, and drink. I'll let you know if any of these become an issue (i.e., about one hour before you start to take a penalty for them).

Ten feet to the east of the split, you find another pit trap (SURPRISE!). Do you have a good means of getting over it, or how do you intend to proceed?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 07:07 PM
Anarias takes out his chalk and marks a line right before the pit. He looks at the trap carefully, and then considers the space beyond it.

"Screw ten-foot poles." He jumps 5 feet over the trap.

Jump, DC 10 for 5 feet: [roll0]

Jarian
2011-04-02, 07:11 PM
Might I recommend taking 10 for guaranteed successes in the future?

Now, heading east, are you heading to the door, or beyond it?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 07:15 PM
Sorry about that, I play with a group that disallows taking 10, so I forget how useful it is. Likewise we normally don't have as much time as we need, etc. I appreciate any advice to help me acclimate to the ND playstyle. :smallsmile:

Anarias heads to the door, takes 20 searching it for traps, and then draws his dagger in one hand and his rapier in the other if there are none. He enters Punishing Stance, waits a round, and opens the door.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 07:20 PM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||L||
4|||||
5|||||[/table]
There are doors at A5 south, which you are just outside of, and E1 north.

Near the center of the room, a horribly ugly creature with dingy blue scales marred here and there by large, pinkish-white sections of scar tissue stands at the ready, tongues of blue fire licking fanglike white teeth. The creature appears to be wearing chainmail beneath the remnants of an outfit that is almost entirely burned away, with only a few charred remnants remaining.

Initiative: [roll0]

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 07:30 PM
Curses, a real initiative. I suppose it had to happen eventually.

Init: [roll0]

EDIT- Crap, I finally lost.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 07:35 PM
FWOOSH.

A line of fire erupts from the creature's mouth, writhing and undulating like a living creature. It rushes over you, and you feel some of the fire linger on your person, coiling about your limbs, searing your flesh.

[roll0] damage, reflex half, minimum of 1. You are entangled by fiery strands for [roll1] rounds.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 07:47 PM
Altered Entangled Stats:
Male True Neutral Whisper Gnome Rogue/Warblade, Level 1, Init +9, HP 14?/15, Speed 30ft.
AC 16, Touch 14, Flat-footed 13, Fort +5, Ref +6, Will -1, Base Attack Bonus 1,
Rapier +3 (1d4, 18-20/x2)
Dagger (2) +3 (1d3, 19-20/x2)
Leather Armor (+2 Armor, +3 Dex, +1 Size)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 4
Condition Entangled
Reflex: [roll0] -does this succeed?

Anarias struggles 10 feet forwards, getting close enough to hit the creature. He focuses his mind and attempts to use his Sapphire Nightmare Blade to shatter the will of his foe.

Concentration check vs. AC: [roll1]

Attack roll w/ Rapier: [roll2] Flatfooted if check succeeds, -2 penalty if it doesn't.

Damage roll: [roll3] + [roll4] Punishing Stance + [roll5] if check succeeds + [roll6] Sneak Attack if check succeeds.

Crit Confirmations:
Confirmation w/ Rapier: [roll7] Flatfooted if check succeeds, -2 penalty if it doesn't.

Damage roll: [roll8] + [roll9] Punishing Stance + [roll10] if check succeeds; these last 2 are 'additional damage', so I don't know if they double on a crit.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 07:50 PM
Reflex success.

Plink.

Your rapier puts a tiny dent in a single link of the creature's chainmail.

It laughs, and as it does so, another gout of flame erupts from its maw, washing over you in a wave of searing agony. [roll0] fire damage, reflex half.

The fire entangling you continues to burn, dealing an additional [roll1] fire damage.

Edit: Ouch, bad luck there.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 08:03 PM
Altered Entangled Stats:
Anarias
Male True Neutral Whisper Gnome Rogue/Warblade, Level 1, Init +9, HP 5or2/15, Speed 30ft.
AC 16, Touch 14, Flat-footed 13, Fort +5, Ref +6, Will -1, Base Attack Bonus 1,
Rapier +3 (1d4, 18-20/x2)
Dagger (2) +3 (1d3, 19-20/x2)
Leather Armor (+2 Armor, +3 Dex, +1 Size)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 4
Condition Entangled

Anarias attacks hard with a Wolf Fang Strike.

Rapier Attack: [roll1]
Rapier Damage: [roll2] + [roll3]

Dagger Attack: [roll4]
Dagger Damage: [roll5] + [roll6]

He is afraid.

Hopefully, confirmations:
Rapier Confirm: [roll7]
Rapier Damage: [roll8] + [roll9]

Dagger Confirm: [roll10]
Dagger Damage: [roll11] + [roll12]

Jarian
2011-04-02, 08:05 PM
Reflex failed.

The first attack staggers him, and the second downs him.

The fire continues to burn you for [roll0] fire damage.

D'oh.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 08:10 PM
Crap. Do I have a swift action before it downs me?

Jarian
2011-04-02, 08:12 PM
You have a swift action remaining on your turn, yes.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 08:14 PM
Before he goes down Anarias uses a swift action to recover his maneuvers, using the next standard action to do nothing.

Per Vital Recovery he heals for 3+level points, leaving him at 0.

He takes out a Potion of Faith healing and drinks it, going to 8.

He laughs in the face of God and Fate, then searches for lootz.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 08:16 PM
Loot!

1 Medium-sized chainmail.
Some belly lint.

Xp!

150 xp.

Where to?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 08:18 PM
He takes 20 searching all over the room.

He leaves the room if he finds nothing and goes down the hall the way he was headed, taking 20 to search the floors and walls.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 08:22 PM
Nothing of note in the room.

Thirty feet east from the door, the hall splits to the north and south.

North, it runs for ten feet before turning east.

South, it runs for ten feet before turning west. After five feet, there is a note pinned to the wall, though you can't make out anything special about it with darkvision.

The hall also continues east for twenty feet before turning south, with a door on the east wall of the bend.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 08:28 PM
He heads south, carefully searching for traps before taking the note. He heads to the door, and carefully searches it. If he finds nothing he draws his weapons, enters his stance, and opens the door.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 08:34 PM
The door opens into Stabsy's room. The body and all are still present, but someone - or something - seems to have closed the door since you were last here.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 08:39 PM
Anarias is outwardly unshaken. He is internally terrified, and will never sleep soundly in the dungeon again.

If there is light in Stabsy's room, he'll read the two notes he's gotten. If not, he heads back north, searching for traps when he gets to new squares.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 08:42 PM
Stabsy's room is unlit. Burny Bernie's room, however, was lit by an ambient glow. Do you want to head back there?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 08:45 PM
Sure. I when I pass back by his room I'll nip in to read the letters.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 08:52 PM
Which one do you want to read first?

If it matters, upon reaching the room, you notice that the note you took from the wall is written on blue paper.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 08:56 PM
Anarias pauses for a moment before reading.

Everything in this dungeon has tried to kill him.

He turns the papers over, not looking at them, puts them on the floor, and lights them on fire with a tindertwig.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 08:59 PM
Did you read the notes, or just burn them?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 09:02 PM
T-three? Wha? ZA? It has a contingency for burning the damn thing? Why didn't I just walk away... asdf.

Save 1: Moment of Perfect Mind concentration check: [roll0]
Save 2: Will save [roll1]
Save 3: Will save [roll2]

EDIT- Probability just got down on its knees and started servicing Anarias, apparently.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 09:05 PM
Damn, didn't edit out the post fast enough. :smalltongue:

You pass all of the saves. You're covered in golden glitter, but otherwise unphased.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 09:11 PM
Anarias begins to laugh madly. "Ha! Take that, creepy janitor guy! Your evil notes of doom have no effect upon my mighty will!"

He recovers his maneuvers. Does this count as an encounter? If so, Vital Recovery heals another 4 points.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 09:12 PM
That was not an encounter.

The glitter fades away after a few moments.

Where to now?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 09:45 PM
Curses. What counts as an encounter? Does it have to be a fight?

Anarias heads down the hallway to the North, searching all new squares carefully.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 09:53 PM
Unless otherwise noted, yes.

Regarding the north hall: Was that the hall that goes north to the west of this room, or the one to the east?

Feel free to quote a previous post to show me where you want to go.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 09:55 PM
Nothing of note in the room.

Thirty feet east from the door, the hall splits to the north and south.

North, it runs for ten feet before turning east.

South, it runs for ten feet before turning west. After five feet, there is a note pinned to the wall, though you can't make out anything special about it with darkvision.

The hall also continues east for twenty feet before turning south, with a door on the east wall of the bend.

He heads north after leaving Burny Bernie's room, then turns east, searching all the way.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 10:04 PM
At the northern bend:

The hall runs east for twenty feet before ending in a blank wall. After ten feet, it splits to the north.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 10:17 PM
Anarias searches each square to the bend, and peeks around the corner. If all Anarias sees is more hallway (ie, no waiting monsters) he searches his way to the blank wall, which he searchs.

...He's getting very used to searching.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 10:20 PM
At the split north:

The hall runs north for twenty feet before turning west. There is a door on the north side of the bend.

At the searched wall:

The wall looks a little odd to you. Feeble, almost.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 10:27 PM
Anarias backs up until he is 10 feet from the wall, and then he throws his grappling hook (attached to his rope) at it. The other wall didn't fall on him, but there's no need to take chances.

I don't know if I need an attack roll for a wall, but here's one anyway:

[roll0]

Jarian
2011-04-02, 10:30 PM
Opening the door Knocking down the wall reveals the following room:
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_
1||||||
2||||||
3||||||
4|||1|||
5||||||
6||||||[/table]

There is a door at A-6 west, another at E-1 and another at F-4. There is also a hole in the wall at A-4, which you are ten feet outside of. Inside the room, there is a kobold wearing a chain shirt and holding a short sword. It looks up in surprise, then shoots a glare in your direction.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 10:32 PM
Initiative; if I win, there will be a post below detailing my epic kobold slaughter.

[roll0]

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 10:36 PM
Anarias moves the distance to the kobold, dropping his rope and drawing his offhand weapon as he does. When he reaches the kobold he enters his usual routine of overkill, initiating Wolf Fang Strike. At the end of his turn he drops the Punishing Stance.

Rapier Attack: [roll0]
Rapier Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] Punishing + [roll3] Sneak Attack

Dagger Damage: [roll5] + [roll6] Punishing + [roll7] Sneak Attack

Crits, hopefully:Rapier Confirmation: [roll8]
Rapier Damage: [roll9] + [roll10] Punishing + [roll11] Sneak Attack

Dagger Confirmation: [roll12]
Dagger Damage: [roll13] + [roll14] Punishing + [roll15] Sneak Attack

Jarian
2011-04-02, 10:41 PM
Your first attack goes wide, but your second takes him in the shoulder.

The kobold tumbles backwards ([roll0], you get an AoO on a 14 or less), then back, and shadows spring up around him, swirling about his form and making it hard to pin down his exact location. (20% miss chance on all attacks made against him.)

The kobold snaps his fingers, and a sudden rush of heat causes you to look over your shoulder in surprise as a fire elemental appears behind you, winking into existing just long enough to distract you as the kobold rams his shortsword forward. As he does, his weapon seems to split, a second, ghostly copy appearing beside the first, both driving toward your chest...

[roll1]
[roll2]

Damage: [roll3]
Possible: [roll4] cold

...but still managing to miss. The incompetence of low level mooks, seriously.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 10:47 PM
The kobold misses with both the emphemeral blade and the real one, and Anarias attacks him with his rapier, focusing his mind on the kobold's defenses, using his Sapphire Nightmare Blade.

Attack, flatfooted if the check succeeds, -2 if it doesn't: [roll1]
Rolling for concealment (unless you want to): [roll2]

Damage: [roll3] + [roll4] if the check succeeds + [roll5] sneak attack if the check succeeds

Crit, hopefully:

Confirmation: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7] + [roll8] if the check succeeds

Jarian
2011-04-02, 10:57 PM
What would be a strike through the eye instead only catches shadowy mist, the whirling darkness throwing your aim off at a critical moment.

The kobold returns fire - literally. His shortsword bursts into flames. As he thrusts it toward you, a bit of the lingering shadows cling to the blade.

[roll0] for [roll1] plus [roll2], plus a will save if it hits.

He then tumbles away ([roll3]) and back, and the shadows spring up around him again.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 10:59 PM
Well, I die, but here's a Will Save anyway:

Moment of Perfect Mind: [roll0]

Well. That was a lot of fun. Is there, er, any way to restart with you without having to go through the selection process again? Or are you sick of me? :smallwink:

Jarian
2011-04-02, 11:03 PM
Not at all. You can restart with this character if you wish, or make another.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 11:06 PM
Not at all. You can restart with this character if you wish, or make another.

I'd like to restart this character. He's just about the best I can do, to be honest. I don't have a lot of experience making optimal characters, despite all the time I've played, and I will admit that I've grown fond of the little guy, though he is a sociopath.

So, does he wake up in the starting room? (I promise it will go faster now that I know the layout a bit.)

Jarian
2011-04-02, 11:07 PM
You do indeed wake up in the starting room.

What do?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 11:12 PM
Moves to the door, searches for traps, and opens it. If he finds any notes, he ignores them. When moving down hallways he takes 20 on searching every square.

If he finds nothing he moves to the south 20 feet then the east, then the north to the illusionist's door. He searches it for traps, then draws a weapon in both hands and enters Punishing Stance, and gets ready to punish the bugger. He opens the door.

Assuming that I haven't gotten way, way ahead of myself, Init:
[roll0]

Let me know if I skipped anything or went too fast. :smallsmile:

Jarian
2011-04-02, 11:16 PM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4||||H|H[/table]
There is a door at A-2, which you are just outside of, another at E-4, south side and another at E-3. There is a human wearing a chain shirt and holding a longsword standing near the southeast door, holding what seems to be a heated conversation with what appears to be an identical twin standing beside him. The two look up from their glares at each other as you enter, then smile knowingly.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 11:24 PM
Anarias moves to D3 and attacks them both with his Wolf Fang Strike (I don't trust that they aren't randomized. :smallwink:)

To D4:
Rapier Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] Punishing Stance + [roll3] Sneak Attack

To E4:
Dagger Damage: [roll5] + [roll6] Punishing Stance + [roll7] Sneak Attack

Crit confirmation:
Rapier Confirmation: [roll8]
Rapier Damage: [roll9] + [roll10] Punishing Stance
To D4:
Dagger Confirmation: [roll11]
Dagger Damage: [roll12] + [roll13] Punishing Stance

Jarian
2011-04-02, 11:29 PM

Dead.

150xp and the normal loot.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 11:34 PM
Anarias is very happy, and walks on the man as he leave the room through the door he entered.

He continues heading north, jumping over the trap. He turns east, jumps over the trap, and opens the door. (There were two traps there, correct?)

Assuming he sees Burny Bernie, his initiative:
[roll0]

Jarian
2011-04-02, 11:37 PM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||L||
4|||||
5|||||[/table]
There are doors at A5 south, which you are just outside of, and E1 north.

Near the center of the room, a horribly ugly creature with dingy blue scales marred here and there by large, pinkish-white sections of scar tissue stands at the ready, tongues of blue fire licking fanglike white teeth. The creature appears to be wearing chainmail beneath the remnants of an outfit that is almost entirely burned away, with only a few charred remnants remaining.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 11:41 PM
Anarias moves forward, falling into his usual routine of excessive damage. Wolf Fang Strike and Punishing Stance are ever so much fun.

Crits:
Rapier Confirmation: [roll8]
Rapier Damage: [roll9]

Dagger Confirmation: [roll10]
Dagger Damage: [roll11]

He has become overconfident, however, and fails epically.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 11:43 PM
There is a place in the Far East, known as the Hin Fist Temple. There, they practice an ancient and revered style of martial arts known as the Flurry of Misses. Have you studied under one of their adepts perhaps?

Bernie responds with a gout of fire.

[roll0] fire damage, reflex half, entangled for [roll1] rounds.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 11:51 PM
Dear god, I'm playing a monk. An overpowered, munchin-monk.

...who misses a lot.

What happens if I make the save? Still one point of damage?

Anarias uses his Sapphire Nightmare Blade.
Concentration: [roll1]

Rapier Attack: [roll2] Flatfooted if check succeeds, -2 if not.
Rapier Damage: [roll3] + [roll4] Punishing Stance + [roll5] Sapphire Nighmare Blade +[roll6] Sneak Attack

Crit:
Confirm: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]

Jarian
2011-04-02, 11:54 PM
Bam! Hin Fist Style represent!

...with... manufactured weapons... and a completely different fighting style...

You're a bad student! Your master disowns you.

Damage is minimum 1, yes.

Bernie goes down. 150 xp, chainmail, navel lint.

Ongoing fire damage: [roll0]

RaggedAngel
2011-04-02, 11:58 PM
After the fire damage ends Anarias re-prepares his maneuvers, healing to full. I forgot if this room had anything special, so he'll search it while I read back over this thread. :smallredface:

Jarian
2011-04-02, 11:59 PM
It does not, so far as you have previously determined.

Where to?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-03, 12:03 AM
He heads east then south to Stabsy's room, ignoring any notes, with the usual trap-avoiding measures. Let me know if a special trap occurs.

He open's Stabsy's door, mutters "Deja vu," and prepares to fight.

Jarian
2011-04-03, 12:06 AM
You walk past a note on the wall. It waves sadly as you ignore its lonely existence. All it ever wanted in life was to be read, but no, it is relegated to a life of neglect and abuse. You think you hear it crying papery tears as you walk by.

{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3||||1|
4|||||
5||||| [/table]
There is a door at B5, and another at B1, which you are just outside of. There is an orc in the middle of the room, twirling a wickedly serrated spear between its hands as it performs what you assume to be combat maneuvers. Beneath its simple uniform, you make out the pattern and distinctive rustle of chainmail.

The orc pauses mid-swing as it notices you, adjusting its stance to one of calm readiness.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-03, 12:12 AM
"Sorry, Stabsy. This is my Wuxia-action movie; you just get to guest star." He moves to Stabsy and opens up with his usual routine of Wolf Fang Strike and Punishing Stance.

EDIT- In my defense, those would have missed anyway. :smallannoyed:

Jarian
2011-04-03, 12:18 AM
Stabsy laughs, then brings his spear around in a vicious stab.

"YOU WANT TAKE STABSY'S LINES IN ACTION MOVIE? STABSY END YOU! STEELY STRIKE!"

[roll0] for [roll1] piercing damage.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-03, 12:30 AM
Anarias is transfixed by the orc's gaze.

Also by his spear. Come to think of it, it's mostly his spear that's the problem.

He uses his Sapphire Nightmare Blade, and prays to Ao, his god, for help.

Rapier Attack: [roll1] Flatfooted if check succeeds, -2 if not.
Rapier Damage: [roll2] + [roll3] Punishing Stance + [roll4] Sapphire Nighmare Blade +[roll5] Sneak Attack

After the attack he drops out of Punishing Stance and takes a 5-foot step back.

Jarian
2011-04-03, 12:37 AM
Edit: Wait. Deerp. He's not dead.

Jarian
2011-04-03, 12:39 AM
Hit, moderate damage.

"Haha. You see what Stabsy did there? Stabsy trick you into thinking Stabsy dead, just like in all the best movies!"

"STONE BONES!"

RaggedAngel
2011-04-03, 12:39 AM
Edit: Wait. Deerp. He's not dead.

If only it were that easy.

EDIT- Ha! He misses! For a moment I thought that was the end of poor Anarias. Post below in a moment.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-03, 12:43 AM
Anarias recovers his maneuvers by attacking in conjunction with a swift action. He heals for 4, going up to 7. He considers tumbling, but decides against it.

Attack: [roll0]

Damage: [roll1]

Feels a bit lame. Well, here's the crit stuff, just in case:

Attack: [roll2]

Damage: [roll3]

Jarian
2011-04-03, 12:48 AM
Your attack plinks off of Stabsy's armor.

He retaliates with a flourishing strike toward your chest.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-03, 12:52 AM
Anarias grins. "Ha! I restored my quasi-magical martial powers before you did, ugly!"

He tries to Sapphire Nightmare Blade Stabsy to death again, with Punishing Stance.

Rapier Damage: [roll2] + [roll3] Punishing Stance + [roll4] Sapphire Nighmare Blade +[roll5] Sneak Attack

Jarian
2011-04-03, 12:53 AM
"Noooooooooo! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s)"

150 xp, chainmail, ripper, 3 javelins, sundark goggles.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-03, 12:57 AM
Anarias puts on the goggles. "You know what would look good with these, buddy? Some lizardskin boots." He drinks a Potion of Faith Healing and heads north, ignoring the note again, towards the kobold's secret wall, searching and jumping over traps. When he reaches the wall he readies both weapons and pokes the wall with the tip of his sword, hoping it crumbles without falling on him.

Assuming everything goes according to plan, Init: [roll0]

Jarian
2011-04-03, 01:08 AM
Opening the door Knocking down the wall reveals the following room:
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_
1||||||
2||||||
3||||||
4|||1|||
5||||||
6||||||[/table]

There is a door at A-6 west, another at E-1 and another at F-4. There is also a hole in the wall at A-4, which you are just outside of. Inside the room, there is a kobold wearing a chain shirt and holding a short sword. It looks up in surprise, then shoots a glare in your direction.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-03, 01:12 AM
Anarias smiles. "From one little dextrous guy to another, I know how much it sucks to be caught flat-footed. I may be inaccurate with my attacks on occasion, but you've probably got a pretty nice dexterity. Let's test out your ability to not get stabbed without it."

He moves forward an uses his Flurry of Blows Wolf Fang Strike.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-03, 01:13 AM
The first time I forget to have it in my post, I get a crit. Here's the confirmation and damage:

Rapier Damage: [roll1]

RaggedAngel
2011-04-03, 01:14 AM
Let's try that again, but I'll wait a minute between posts this time.

Rapier Confirmation: [roll0]
Rapier Damage: [roll1]

Jarian
2011-04-03, 01:18 AM
Down in one.

150 xp, small-sized shortsword, small-sized chain shirt, masterwork tumble tool.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-03, 01:33 AM
Anarias happily takes everything but the chain shirt, pleased to have some new items. He wields his new short sword with glee, spinning in in his hand to test its balance. The tumble tool, a pair of MC Hammer pants, is also helpful to him, and he puts them on.

OOC-Good place to stop, though I don't really want to. Based off of my math we have 2 more encounters to go, so I'm looking forward to that. Have a nice night, and I'll post as soon as I can tomorrow.

Jarian
2011-04-03, 01:42 AM
Simply post your next actions when you're ready and we'll pick things back up.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-03, 07:58 PM
Anarias leaves the kobold's room through the hole in the wall, and goes 10 feet east then North to the door in the bend, searching for and jumping over all the traps in the way. He gets combat ready and, barring any problems, opens the door.

Init (maybe, this is new): [roll0]

Jarian
2011-04-03, 08:01 PM
Those directions bring you back into the kobold's room, unless you meant west instead of east. Confirm?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-03, 08:06 PM

Sorry about that, I misread the directions. I really should have drawn a map, but I'm foolish, apparently. Is the door mentioned in the above quote a new one?

Jarian
2011-04-03, 08:07 PM
The quoted door brings you back into the kobold's room, southwest corner.

Before entering the door, you notice that the hall continues south for ten feet before turning east.

I wish I had a blank copy of the map to show you what you've explored.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-03, 08:11 PM
Then he heads south then east, searching for traps to jump over and delicious, delicious notes to ignore.

Jarian
2011-04-03, 08:17 PM
At the bend east:

The hall continues east for sixty feet before turning north. After twenty feet, you find a pit trap on the floor, and jump over it. At the bend, the hall continues north for forty feet before turning west. After five feet, there is a note pinned to the eastern wall. You can't make out color with your darkvision. After ten feet, the hall splits to the west.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-03, 08:20 PM
Anarias heads 10 feet and looks down the new west bend.

Jarian
2011-04-03, 08:23 PM
The note waves sadly at you as you walk by. So much hate for such little scraps of paper.

At the split, the hall goes west for ten feet before turning north.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-03, 08:26 PM
Anarias heads west then north.

Jarian
2011-04-03, 08:31 PM
The hall goes north for twenty feet before turning west. After ten feet, you find another pit trap. This place is practically falling apart, I swear...

At the bend, the hall goes west for ten feet before turning south, then south for ten feet before turning west, then west for five feet before ending in a door.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-03, 08:41 PM
Sorry about the lag, my hotel internet is terrible.

Anarias searches the door carefully, and then gets ready to fight. He takes a deep breath, and then opens the door.

Jarian
2011-04-03, 08:41 PM
The door opens into the eastern side of the kobold's room.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-03, 08:55 PM
The hall continues east for sixty feet before turning north. After twenty feet, you find a pit trap on the floor, and jump over it. At the bend, the hall continues north for forty feet before turning west. After five feet, there is a note pinned to the eastern wall. You can't make out color with your darkvision. After ten feet, the hall splits to the west.

He heads back to this hallway and heads north to the bend then west, searching for traps along the way.

Jarian
2011-04-03, 08:57 PM
Fifteen feet beyond the split, you find a tripwire at roughly waist level, bypassing it without issue.

At the bend, the hall continues west for sixty feet before turning north. After thirty feet, it splits to the north. After thirty-five feet, there is a door on the south side of the hall.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-04, 10:59 PM
Sorry about the delay, but I am home now. :smallsmile:

Anarias heads 30 feet, looks down the hallway, and then if he sees no threats he moves to the door, searches it, and opens it after getting ready for combat.

Jarian
2011-04-05, 08:10 PM
At the split: The hall runs north for ten feet before turning east.

At the door: Opening the door reveals Bernie's room.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-05, 08:18 PM
Anarias heads back to the split and heads north ten feet then east.

Jarian
2011-04-05, 08:25 PM
(Apologies; I mistakenly said that was Bernie's room. It was actually the kobold's room. Sorry if I messed up any map you were making.)

At the bend east:

The hall runs east for thirty feet before turning north, then runs north for twenty feet before turning west, then west for fifteen feet before ending in a door.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-05, 08:37 PM
Anarias gets ready for a fight by entering Punishing Stance and drawing his rapier and short sword, searches the door carefully, and opens it.

Jarian
2011-04-05, 08:40 PM
{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2|||
3|||
4|||
5|||
6||1|[/table]
There is a door at A5 and another at C5, which you are just outside of.

On the wall at B-6, +15 elevation, there is a large, nearly dog-sized construct of bronze plating. It has a vaguely insectile shape, with an oval carapace, six spike-tipped legs, and a round head with two oversized mandibles protruding from its "mouth", which is little more than a wide, funnel-shaped hole.

The construct's head turns to look at you as you enter the doorway.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-05, 08:43 PM
I'm not confident about winning initiative, but if I do I'll post below here.

It's slaughter time for my poor Whisper Gnome.

Jarian
2011-04-05, 08:45 PM
The construct scuttles down to B-5, then breathes a line of acid over you.

[roll0] acid damage, Reflex half.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-05, 08:51 PM

Anarias takes the damage and keeps on going, bringing his rapier forwards as he moves to the monster. "I bet you aren't Sneak Attack-able, but what the hell." He uses his Sapphire Nightmare Blade, hoping to pierce the mechanical monster's defenses.

Concentration: [roll1]

Rapier Attack: [roll2] Flatfooted if check succeeds, -2 if not.
Rapier Damage: [roll3] + [roll4] Punishing Stance + [roll5] Sapphire Nighmare Blade +[roll6] Sneak Attack (hopefully)

Jarian
2011-04-05, 08:54 PM
Reflex success.

Your rapier stabs down, piercing bronze plating like tinfoil, though it finds nothing critical in the construct's form.

The construct whirrs for a moment, mandibles clacking together, then tries to bite you.

[roll0] for [roll1]
[roll2] for [roll3]

RaggedAngel
2011-04-05, 09:08 PM
Anarias attacks with his Wolf Fang Strike; once he has done so he attempts to tumble out of the beast's easy reach, moving to B1 from B4.

Wolf Fang Strike:

Rapier Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] Punishing Stance

Shortsword Attack: [roll3]
Shortsword Damage: [roll4] + [roll5] Punishing Stance

Tumble, DC 15: [roll6]

EDIT- Well, at least the Tumble wasn't bothered by my Flurry of Misses.

Jarian
2011-04-05, 09:10 PM
Your rapier pierces the construct again, but its plating deflects the second blow.

It pursues, taking another bite at your legs. [roll0] for [roll1]

RaggedAngel
2011-04-05, 09:16 PM
Anarias takes a swift action and an attack to re-prepare his maneuvers, healing for 4, bringing his HP to 10.

Rapier Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] Punishing Stance

Tumble DC 15 to move to C4: [roll3]

EDIT- C-C-C-C-C-CRITICAL FAILURE!!! :smallwink:

Jarian
2011-04-05, 09:48 PM
Pling!

Mindless creature mindlessly follows. Mindlessly.

Nom.

[roll0] for [roll1]

*noms on dice*

RaggedAngel
2011-04-05, 09:56 PM
Anarias stares at the monster for a moment. The monster looks back. There is a moment of understanding between them; an understanding of critical fails.

Anarias unleashes his Sapphire Nightmare Blade, seeking to destroy the beast before it manages to land another hit.

Rapier Damage: [roll2] + [roll3] Punishing Stance + [roll4] Sapphire Nighmare Blade

He tumbles back to his previous position at B1, mostly just to annoy the thing.
Tumble DC 15: [roll5]

Jarian
2011-04-05, 09:58 PM
Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

The various gears and gyros powering the construct slowly come to a halt. Its form freezes up, and through one of the holes in its carapace, you see a faint green light fade to blackness.

150 xp, no loot.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-05, 10:03 PM
Anarias sighs, and pokes the thing again with his rapier. "Crap. I was sure that was the boss fight. Well, nothing to be done. I just hope the final guy is vulnerable to Sneak Attack."

He refreshes his maneuvers and heads out the door at A5 after checking it for traps.

Jarian
2011-04-05, 10:19 PM
Out the western door:

The hall runs to the west for fifteen feet before teeing to the north and south. After five feet, it splits to the north.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-05, 10:32 PM
Anarias heads 5 feet and looks north.

Jarian
2011-04-05, 10:44 PM
The hall runs to the north for thirty feet before teeing to the east and west.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-05, 10:47 PM
Anarias continues West, and then looks north and south when he reaches the tee. If there's a door in sight he heads to it. If not, he heads north.

Jarian
2011-04-05, 10:58 PM
At the T, the hall runs to the south for ten feet before turning west. It runs north for thirty feet before turning east. After ten feet, it splits west.

Heading north to the split, you see that the hall runs west for ten feet before turning north.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-05, 10:59 PM
He turns at the split, heading west then north.

Jarian
2011-04-05, 11:02 PM
After five feet, you find a tripwire, bypassing it easily.

At the bend, the hall runs north for fifty feet before turning east. After thirty feet, there is a door on the east wall.

After ten feet, you find and bypass a pit trap. Yes, another one.

Investigate door?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-05, 11:07 PM
Anarias prepares for combat and searches the door. If he finds nothing, he opens it.

Jarian
2011-04-05, 11:15 PM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_
1||||
2||||S
3||||
[/table]
There is a door at A-3, west side. There are three demonic squirrels with glowing red eyes on the wall at +5, +10, and +15 respectively. The squirrels begin chittering loudly as soon as you slide the door open.

A magical darkness hangs over the room, imposing a 20% miss chance.

[roll1]
[roll2]

RaggedAngel
2011-04-05, 11:19 PM
Dear god, I've found my own personal hell.

Let's do this thing.

Jarian
2011-04-05, 11:21 PM
The squirrel before you in the initiative order continues to chitter.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-05, 11:28 PM
Anarias does not trust that squirrel.

He moves to C3 and attacks the lowest squirrel with Wolf Fang Strike.

Shortsword Attack: [roll4]
Shortsword Damage: [roll5] + [roll6] Punishing Stance + [roll7] Sneak Attack

Jarian
2011-04-05, 11:33 PM
As you enter the darkness, make a Fortitude save.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-05, 11:33 PM
Fort Save: [roll0]

EDIT- Crap.

Jarian
2011-04-05, 11:35 PM
You take [roll0] damage and 1 strength damage.

Your first attack downs one squirrel, and, assuming you don't have a means of reaching one of the others, the second one pulps it.

Edit:

Both remaining squirrels disappear and reappear in your square.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-06, 03:48 PM
Anarias takes a move action to drop his backpack. He is now no longer at a medium load.

He attacks a squirrel with his Sapphire Nightmare Blade:

Jarian
2011-04-06, 05:17 PM
And the world is minus one demonic squirrel.

The last one noms at your ankles.

[roll0] for 1 damage.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-06, 08:56 PM
Anarias refreshes his maneuvers and heals back up to 10. He then uses his standard action to attack.

Rapier: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]

Jarian
2011-04-06, 09:26 PM
Splat.

150 xp, no loot. The darkness is still present in the room, but hasn't harmed you since you entered.

What do?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-06, 09:30 PM
That's 1000 xp's, right? Or has math deserted me?

Anyway, Anarias drops out of his Punishing Stance and exits the room, continuing down the hallway the same direction that he was going.

Jarian
2011-04-06, 11:05 PM
Huh. Subscription didn't trigger for some reason.

Please hold while your xp total is tallied.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-06, 11:09 PM
Huh. Subscription didn't trigger for some reason.

Please hold while your xp total is tallied.

Will do.

Just as a note: Anarias is now dragging his backpack behind him. If he reaches a pit trap, he'll throw it over before jumping.

Jarian
2011-04-06, 11:09 PM
My personal armies of mathemagicians report a gain of 900 xp from six encounters. If this is wrong for some reason, please file an official complaint with the Neverending Internal Resource System, making sure to complete sections a.21 through a.49 of the forms provided to all initiates of the dungeon, along with subsections C-12 and H-3.

--

You find another pit trap five feet before the bend to the east.

At the bend east:

The hall runs for sixty feet before turning south. After forty feet, there is a split south.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-06, 11:12 PM
Oops. Forgive my math-errors.

Anarias heads forty feet and looks down the hallway. If he sees a door he heads to it. Otherwise he heads down the full sixty feet and then heads south.

Jarian
2011-04-06, 11:19 PM
At the split:

Hall runs south for ten feet before turning west. There's a note on the east face of the bend.

At the bend south:

Hall runs south for fifty feet before turning west, then ten feet before turning north, then forty feet before turning south. After ten feet, there is a split north. after thirty feet, there is a split south.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-06, 11:27 PM
He heads down the longer route, looking down both splits for doors, and following the hallway if he doesn't see any. He continues to check every square for traps or secret doors.

Jarian
2011-04-06, 11:30 PM
Split north:

Hall runs for ten feet before turning west.

Split south:

Hall runs for thirty feet before teeing to the east and west.

Turn south:

Hall runs for forty feet before turning west. After twenty feet, the hall splits west. After thirty feet, the hall splits east (and, incidentally, you recognize the hall as the one out the western door of the construct's room).

RaggedAngel
2011-04-06, 11:35 PM
At the split:

Hall runs south for ten feet before turning west. There's a note on the east face of the bend.

At the bend south:

Hall runs south for fifty feet before turning west, then ten feet before turning north, then forty feet before turning south. After ten feet, there is a split north. after thirty feet, there is a split south.

I just realized that I have to make a map if I ever want to leave. Can I get this section above clarified?

Jarian
2011-04-06, 11:37 PM
Wow, that's a... bit of a flub on my part there. I seem to have missed an entire line.

West ten feet, bend north. North twenty feet, bend west. West forty feet, bend south. Better? :smallbiggrin:

RaggedAngel
2011-04-06, 11:44 PM
Wow, that's a... bit of a flub on my part there. I seem to have missed an entire line.

West ten feet, bend north. North twenty feet, bend west. West forty feet, bend south. Better? :smallbiggrin:

Muchso, yes, and thank you. I'll have to head off now; I'll have made my map and will continue with my blundering attempts tomorrow. Night! :smallsmile:

Jarian
2011-04-07, 09:52 PM
*nudge*text

RaggedAngel
2011-04-07, 10:18 PM
*nudge*text

Mapmaking is going slowly, but I should be ready to post in a few minutes. I've hit a snag, with a hallway overlapping a room. It's a bit confusing.

...there aren't, by any chance, hallways that overlap rooms, are there? Because that would force some Sanity checks on my part.

Jarian
2011-04-07, 10:19 PM
No.

If it helps, all measurements assume a) that you are looking from the square outside of a given door, and b) that you are counting from the last occupied square.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-07, 11:04 PM
Hoookay. Let's try something, now that I have a map.

Anarias, injured and weakened, decides to head back to the origional room that he woke up in.

Once he arrives outside that room he heads 30 feet south, then 10 feet west, then 5 feet south. He looks south and to the east. If my map is correct, there is a hallway east of him, a long one that goes beyond the range of his darkvision.

Jarian
2011-04-07, 11:05 PM
Indeed.text

RaggedAngel
2011-04-07, 11:18 PM
Excellent. Is there a hallway south? If so, he heads down it. If there's nothing south, then he heads back to the starting room, then 10 feet east, then 20 feet north, then he looks east.

Jarian
2011-04-07, 11:54 PM
There is no hallway south.

At the new location:

Looking east, the hall runs for fifty feet before turning south. After twenty feet, the hall splits north. After thirty feet, there is a door on the south side of the hall. At the bend south, there is a door on the north side of the hall.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-07, 11:59 PM
He goes and checks the door on the south side after thirty feet, ready for combat but expecting Burny Bernie's room.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 12:00 AM
Bernie's corpse says hello.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-08, 12:07 AM
He heads back to the split north and heads north. If I'm correct, this should be new to him.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 12:09 AM
At the split:

The hall goes north for ten feet before turning east. At the bend, there is a door on the north side of the hall.

At the bend, the hall goes east for ten feet before turning north. There is a note pinned to the east wall of the bend.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-08, 12:11 AM
Anarias puts down his backpack, enters Punishing Stance, draws both weapons, searches the door for traps, and opens it.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 12:14 AM
Opening the door reveals the following room:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_
1||||||
2||||||
3||||1||
4||||||[/table]
There are doors at A3, and F4 south, which you are just outside of.

In the room is a gray skinned, wrinkled humanoid, crawling low with claws extending from it's hands.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-08, 12:23 AM
Anarias sighs. "I bet Sneak Attack doesn't work on you, either."

Init: [roll0] I should win, hopefully, but I'll post my turn below this one, because 1's happen.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-08, 12:25 AM
Anarias:
Male True Neutral Whisper Gnome Rogue/Warblade, Level 1, Init +9, HP 15/15, Speed 30ft.
AC 18, Touch 16, Flat-footed 13, Fort +5, Ref +8, Will -1, Base Attack Bonus 1,
Rapier +7 (1d4, 18-20/x2)
Dagger (2) +7 (1d3, 19-20/x2)
Leather Armor (+2 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Size)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 4
Condition None

Anarias moves to E4 and uses his Wolf Fang Strike.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 12:29 AM
...and he goes down.

150 xp, no loot.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-08, 12:32 AM
...and he goes down.

150 xp, no loot.

Now the math gods are on my side, and they proclaim that I have 1050 xp's.

I wonder what this thing was. It wasn't undead; a d12 and immunity to Sneak Attack would have kept it up. Huh.

Anyway, Anarias refreshes his maneuvers, gaining 4 to bring him up to 14, then he exits the room from the door at A3.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 12:34 AM
Do you want to defer leveling up until a later point? If not, you should hit level 2 right now.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-08, 12:42 AM
Do you want to defer leveling up until a later point? If not, you should hit level 2 right now.

Wait, seriously? Sweet.

Do I have to wait to learn my new maneuver, or can we ignore fluff such as that?

If that isn't a problem, I'm going to tack on some delicious BAB + Evasion + Uncanny Dodge.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 12:42 AM
There is no undue wait to learn maneuvers.

Post again when you've updated your sheet, with a list of changes.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-08, 01:00 AM
Male True Neutral Whisper Gnome Rogue2/Warblade2, Level 2, Init +9, HP 23/24, Speed 30ft.
AC 16, Touch 14, Flat-footed 11, Fort +6, Ref +10, Will -1, Base Attack Bonus 2
Rapier +8 (1d4, 18-20/x2)
Dagger (2) +8 (1d3, 19-20/x2)
Short Sword +8 (1d4, 19-20/x2)
Leather Armor (+2 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Size, -2 Misc)
Abilities Str 9, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 4
Condition None

Added 10 skill points and synergy bonuses; synergy only applies to Tumble, Balance, and Jump.

Added 1 BAB.

Added Evasion (Rogue, PHB)

Added Uncanny Dodge (Warblade, ToB)

Added +1 to Reflex and Fortitude Saves

Added +1 to Reflex save from Int bonus due to Battle Clarity, as Warblade level increased to 2.

Added 1d12 HD, 6 hit points from the d12, and 3 hit points from Con, for a total of 24 HP. He is currently at 23 HP.

Added the Sudden Leap maneuver from the Tiger Claw school, meeting its prerequisite of one Tiger Claw maneuver. It is not prepared.

I believe that is all; let me know if you find any mistakes. :smallsmile:

I will now bid you goodnight, and I look forward to finishing out this level tomorrow if my sheet checks out. Again, thank you for the time you're putting into DMing me. :smallsmile:

Jarian
2011-04-08, 01:03 AM
Looks fine.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-08, 09:53 PM
There is ominous Latin chanting, and Anarias slowly rises off of the ground. A glowing golden light surrounds him, and there is a flash as the energy dissapates. He lands heavily, and slowly stands. He pats himself up and down, and then fetches his bags from outside F4. "Cool. I have Evasion now. Take that, Burny Bernie." He heads to A3, and searches it for traps before opening it, muttering to himself as he goes. "Ooh, and Uncanny Dodge. Not bad, and the BAB is nice. No new tricks, though, which sucks a bit."

Jarian
2011-04-08, 09:54 PM
Opening the door reveals a hall running to the north and west. To the north, it runs for ten feet before turning west. To the west, it runs for ten feet before turning south.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-08, 09:56 PM
Anarias searches his way north then west. (Taking 20 now results in a 27)

Jarian
2011-04-08, 10:01 PM
The hall goes west for twenty feet, turns south, goes south for thirty feet, with a pit trap after ten feet, and turns east. Your map should now place you at the far west square of the hall running east and west directly above bernie's room - does it?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-08, 10:10 PM
The hall goes west for twenty feet, turns south, goes south for thirty feet, with a pit trap after ten feet, and turns east. Your map should now place you at the far west square of the hall running east and west directly above bernie's room - does it?

Er, I am currently away from my map, and I will be until tomorrow. I'm flying by the seat of my pants again, you see.

Anarias heads back to the ghoul-thing's room but heads West then South this time.

Jarian
2011-04-08, 10:16 PM
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9108/mapbwanarias.jpg

Where to?

The map does not list all of your currently explored rooms, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out where they are.

Jarian
2011-04-10, 04:52 PM
*nudge*text

RaggedAngel
2011-04-10, 07:55 PM
*nudge*text

Sorry about that, I've had an "interesting" weekend with my computer. Your map is a godsend, and I think I may have missed a few things when making mine, so thank you.

Anarias heads 60 (I think) feet east, then north for 10 feet, then east 10 feet, then north to the end of the hallway. He searches the suspicious nub carefully.

Jarian
2011-04-10, 07:58 PM
Heh. That suspicious nub is actually a continuing hall. It runs for another five feet beyond what the map shows, then ends in a T split.

To the east, the hall runs for twenty feet before turning north. To the west, the hall runs for twenty feet before turning north.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-10, 08:00 PM
He heads west then north, and he'll make sure to pay attention to the walls as he searches each square. It seems like half of the rooms in this place have had a secret entrance.

Jarian
2011-04-10, 08:06 PM
At the bend north:

The hall continues north for forty feet before turning east. After ten feet, the hall splits east. After twenty feet, the hall splits east again. A note is pinned to the west wall at the second split east.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-10, 08:11 PM
He'll head to the first split and then the second split, looking down one then the other. He'll head to any doors he sees, but if he doesn't see anything but more hallway then he'll head to the end of the hall and head east.

He'll ignore the note. :smallwink:

Jarian
2011-04-10, 08:14 PM
Why does everyone hate the notes? What did the paper ever do to you, anyway? Maybe you'd be happier with flashing neon signs!

Ahem. Yes.

At the first split east, the hall runs for ten feet before turning north. There is a door on the east wall of the bend.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-10, 08:22 PM
Anarias runs to the note and happily reads it

Anarias moves to the door, leaves his backpack on the ground, draws both weapons, and gets ready to use his super cool level 2 abilities. He opens the door.

Jarian
2011-04-10, 08:24 PM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4|||1||
5|||||
6|||||[/table]
There is a door at A-6 west, which you are just outside of, another at A-1 north, and another at E-3. Near the center of the room, you see a nearly 7' tall, horned creature that bears a strong resemblance to hobgoblins, though it appears to move on all fours. The creature wears studded leather armor and has a scimitar grasped in one of its hands.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-10, 08:28 PM
Anarias grins. "'Ello, beautiful."

Initiative (I'll post below if I win.) [roll0]

RaggedAngel
2011-04-10, 08:29 PM
Anarias surges forward, bringing both weapons around in a Wolf Fang Strike Punishing Stance Sneak Attack pile of d6's and blood.

Jarian
2011-04-10, 08:32 PM
Damnit. That was my favorite encounter on this entire floor. :smallfrown:

150 xp, masterwork medium scimitar, medium studded leather armor, and a potion of some sort.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-10, 08:37 PM
Anarias looks up to the ceiling. "Sorry about the quick kill, there. I bet he was really cool." He takes the potion and leaves the rest. He recovers his maneuvers, healing to full.

He searches the entire room carefully for fake walls, and then opens the door at E3 after searching it for traps.

Jarian
2011-04-10, 08:38 PM
The hall outside the door runs to the north and south. To the north, it runs for twenty-five feet before turning west. To the south, it runs for twenty-five feet before turning west.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-10, 08:45 PM
He heads north then west, hopeful for escape.

Jarian
2011-04-10, 08:49 PM
At the bend:

The hall runs to the west for thirty feet before turning north. After twenty feet, the hall splits to the north and south. There is a pit trap five feet before the split.

At the split, the hall runs to the north for ten feet before turning east. To the south, the hall runs for ten feet before turning west.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-10, 08:54 PM
At the bend:

The hall runs to the west for thirty feet before turning north. After twenty feet, the hall splits to the north and south. There is a pit trap five feet before the split.

At the split, the hall runs to the north for ten feet before turning east. To the south, the hall runs for ten feet before turning west.

Could I has clarifications?

Jarian
2011-04-10, 08:56 PM
L-+----

Hopefully that helps. Not necessarily to scale.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-10, 09:04 PM
Thanks, it does. My apologies.

Anarias heads to the end of the hall then north.

Jarian
2011-04-10, 09:06 PM
No need to apologize for not understanding instructions. :smalltongue:

At the bend:

The hall runs north for forty feet before turning east.

After twenty feet, there are doors on both the east and west walls of the hall.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-10, 09:07 PM
Anarias moves to the door on the west side, gets ready for a fight, and opens it.

Jarian
2011-04-10, 09:10 PM
{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2|||
3||L|
4|||
5|||C [/table]
There is a door at A-2, and another at C1 east. There is a large lever with a bright red handle in the center of the room. There is a cake in the southeast corner of the room, on a tray bolted to the floor, with frosting reading something. A note attached to the wall above the cake reads something else.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-10, 09:13 PM
Anarias carefully goes to the lever and searches it. He ignore the note and the cake.

Jarian
2011-04-10, 09:14 PM
It is a lever. It has two positions. It is currently in one position. It could be shifted to another.

It is a lever.

The notes don't cover this level of detail. Waaaaaaugh!

RaggedAngel
2011-04-10, 09:16 PM
Anarias demands to know more about the lever

Anarias slowly leaves the room, goes across the hall, and opens the other door.

Jarian
2011-04-10, 09:18 PM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3||||| [/table]
There are doors at A3 west and E3 east.
A string of four notes hangs in the center of the room.

No lookie:[roll0]

RaggedAngel
2011-04-10, 09:32 PM
Anarias holds still, drops out of Punishing Stance, and he readies a Sapphire Nightmare Blade to hit anything that strikes him invisibly. He stays like that for two full rounds, listening for any movement. If nothing happens he'll go open the other door, ignoring the notes.

Listen: [roll0]
Listen2: [roll1]

Jarian
2011-04-10, 09:38 PM
Nothing hits you.

Outside the eastern door:

The hall runs to the north and south. To the north, it runs for twenty feet before teeing to the east and west. To the south, it runs for ten feet before teeing to the east and west.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-10, 09:51 PM
Anarias sighs. He goes back to the room with the lever. He grasps the lever after searching it for traps again.

"Here's to you, Rainbow Man."

He pulls the lever.