PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Greater Spectral Hand

Zedicius
2011-04-01, 08:42 AM
Yeah, I just like the idea of having a ghostly, disembodied hand floating around to do all the dirty work. Now, a DM has allowed us to write our own spells, as long as it makes sense. Since I use Spectral Hand quite often I came up with this; Any thoughts, CC and possible exploits are welcome.

Greater Spectral Hand
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: One Greater spectral hand
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

A more powerful version of the Spectral Hand spell. On casting the spell, you lose 1d10 hit points that return when the spell ends (even if it is dispelled), but not if the hand is destroyed. The hand's hit points are equal too the amount lost. The spell gives you a +4 bonus on your melee touch attack roll and attacking with the hand counts as a normal attack. The hand can also deliver touch attacks granted by racial or class abilities. If these attacks have limited uses a day one use will be spend when it's delivered through the Greater Spectral Hand. Finally the Greater Spectral Hand is able to wield weapons with the Ghost Touched property, it's attack bonus is the same as if the caster was wielding the weapon. Otherwise the hand is the same as that of the Spectral Hand spell.

bloodtide
2011-04-01, 12:13 PM
This spell is either way under powered or it's set at too high a level.

For a 6th level spell, this does not give you much. A +4 to hit with all touch attacks is not much. And having the hand weld a weapon at a typical casters BaB is a bit useless. And even if it had 10 hit points, a typical encounter with a 10 Cr or so monster will destroy it in a round.

It might just be too high of a level. As it only gives a+4 and has 1d10 hit points, it might be better at 4th level, that is 'twice as powerful' as the original 2nd level spell.

The weapon part is not all that useful in any case. The hand is not going to hit all that much. And the caster would need to carry around a weapon for it. The ability to deliver all touch attacks should be enough.

DracoDei
2011-04-01, 12:32 PM
The +4 should only apply to attacks made by the hand itself, not the caster or his familiar.

You cover per-day abilities, but you might want to use more general language so as to cover per-encounter, per-week, etc.

The point about the weapon that Bloodtide made is true as far as it goes. I would keep it anyway, for flavor, as well as to allow touch attacks with wands or staves. Dunno how the rules for non-weapon Ghost-touch stuff would work but there should be something (probably in the splat book focused on ghosts and spirits?)...
It also needs a strength score for purposes of determining damage.

I concur on the "lower level" thing.