PDA

View Full Version : Pulling someone onto their feet.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-04-01, 10:24 AM
Are there any official rules for pulling someone who is prone back up onto their feet?

Suppose a healer starts their turn next to a dying character, they cast a cure spell on them to bring them back up to positive HP and the character regains consciousness, would it be reasonable to allow the healer to pull the character to their feet as a move action? I imagine pulling someone to their feet would provoke an AoO as though the person being pulled up had stood up?

Veyr
2011-04-01, 11:41 AM
I don't think there's any rule for it, but considering that picking things up off the ground is generally a move action, it seems reasonable to make a move action.

Serpentine
2011-04-02, 12:49 AM
I'd be willing to make it take up a move action for both characters, that doesn't provoke an AoO. Dunno if there's proper rules for it, though.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-02, 12:51 AM
I'd be willing to make it take up a move action for both characters, that doesn't provoke an AoO. Dunno if there's proper rules for it, though.

A move action for the pull-er makes more sense from a mechanical standpoint, especially since making it not provoke an AoO makes no sense.

EDIT: I mean pullee.

NNescio
2011-04-02, 04:31 AM

This is kinda... odd, since the character being pulled would lose his move action off-turn, and pulling adjacent allies to their feet is the sort of thing that you would expect an AoO anyway. (since they would have to drop their guard)

Zaq
2011-04-02, 04:55 AM

Doesn't standing up take a move action anyway? Seems like the pullee doesn't gain much out of this. I'm not convinced that the lack of AoO is worth two characters' move actions, given that you'd have to be spending a move action already. I dunno. Convince me?

Yora
2011-04-02, 07:14 AM
I'd say standard action for the pulling character that provokes an AoO for both of them. No action for the character being pulled up.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-04-02, 08:22 AM
I'd say standard action for the pulling character that provokes an AoO for both of them. No action for the character being pulled up.

This was my thought as well, thinking that pulling a person to their feet would take a bit more effort than picking up an object or the person standing up by themselves.

Veyr
2011-04-02, 11:07 AM
I would say the one pulling loses his move action, but not the one being pulled up (since it's not his turn and there has to be a reason to bother). I would have both provoke, however, which would make just standing the better option in melee.