PDA

View Full Version : Halo: Reach Credit Bans/ the apeal of acheivements. (aka why Glyphstone is cool)

xelliea
2011-04-01, 02:47 PM
Well for the last week now I have been credit banned for quitting a game, why? Because a friend and I were going to a party and we had to go on the second, so I left. When I return hours later we were both very tried so retired to bed, the next morning I return to my xbox to find that I was banned , hmm well isn't that cute, I had to do something in real life so halo felt a bit left out and punished me because of it, talk about petty, sure I left some other games and got banned a few times before but it was for the same sort of reason. Now I really wouldn't care but I was really getting into the game and was a few credits off a new rank. Now without the "get a life" reply that I know someone will feel it funny to throw can someone please tell me the ban's duration, as on the Internet I have only seen the results for the first time you get banned and I believe this is my 4th or 5th time (the funny thing is that the reason I got banned in the first place is that I have a life).

I apologise for my annoyance but I can't be left felling that Bungie is so petty that if you don't give your life to it and become some sunlight hating cretin who has never seen a partner then you are punished, am I wrong?

Blarg...

Thank you, Xelliea.

Domochevsky
2011-04-01, 03:12 PM
Care to explain what you're ranting about? :smallconfused:

xelliea
2011-04-01, 03:54 PM
Care to explain what you're ranting about? :smallconfused:

I thought I did, what is there you wish explained.

Domochevsky
2011-04-01, 04:07 PM
I thought I did, what is there you wish explained.

I think more coherence may be the right step. For example, what is a "Reach Credit Ban"? What does it do where and what did you do to aquire it?

KillianHawkeye
2011-04-01, 05:54 PM
Pretty sure he's talking about the game Halo: Reach. And getting banned. Or something. I dunno, I don't play online.

Psyren
2011-04-01, 06:10 PM
sure I left some other games and got banned a few times before

Not sure what a "Credit Ban" is, but my guess is that (based on this pattern) perhaps you hit some kind of limit.

The Live servers are owned by Microsoft, not Bungie. Your best bet is to call their customer service to find out the particulars of your situation and the appeals process.

arguskos
2011-04-01, 06:15 PM
I know exactly what this is. In Halo: Reach's multiplayer, your rank is governed by "credits", which are garnered via playing. A "credit ban" is almost certainly that he was banned due to suspected credit fraud (exploitation of glitches or outright hacking to boost your credits, and thus your rank in the game's ladders). xelliea appears to be angry due to being banned for such a thing.

Of course, it's hard to tell, since xelliea's posting is... difficult to read. However, that *is* what a "credit ban" is. I am unaware if it is permanent or not.

SparkMandriller
2011-04-01, 06:21 PM
Doesn't the game get mad at you if you keep quitting games instead of finishing them? I think I heard about that somewhere. Trying to discourage people raging or something.

I guess the solution is to not start playing if you don't have time to finish.

ScottishDragon
2011-04-01, 06:49 PM
Doesn't the game get mad at you if you keep quitting games instead of finishing them? I think I heard about that somewhere. Trying to discourage people raging or something.

I guess the solution is to not start playing if you don't have time to finish.

It does,but only bans you from 5-10 mins or so. He left his xbox on so im shure it should have finished by now. I suggest calling the microsoft tech support or something.

The Glyphstone
2011-04-01, 06:59 PM
I thought he was very clear - he got banned because he 'has a life'. Thus, for some inexplicable reason, he wishes to be unbanned so he can return to pwning the counch-crushing n00bs in their parents' basements. Cmon people, reading comprehension.:smallwink:

xelliea
2011-04-03, 01:41 PM
I thought he was very clear - he got banned because he 'has a life'. Thus, for some inexplicable reason, he wishes to be unbanned so he can return to pwning the counch-crushing n00bs in their parents' basements. Cmon people, reading comprehension.:smallwink:

I'm sure this is some how taking the micky, but I find it funny anyway for some reason or other, I guess I posted this when I was not in my calmest state so I am sorry about my rant, though I am still banned, though I would like to know when it ends, right now I have read enough on Feynman diagrams to last a life time!

Of course, it's hard to tell, since xelliea's posting is... difficult to read. However, that *is* what a "credit ban" is. I am unaware if it is permanent or not.

Hmm, is it my spelling or grammar, yeah they are not the best and I apologise for that. Ich bin Deutsch.

Domochevsky
2011-04-03, 02:13 PM
Hmm, is it my spelling or grammar, yeah they are not the best and I apologise for that. Ich bin Deutsch.

Inacceptable. :smallwink:

No, i think it's how you aranged your words in the opening post. They kinda resemble regular sentences, but are somehow... off. Lacking coherence.

The Glyphstone
2011-04-03, 02:21 PM
I'm sure this is some how taking the micky, but I find it funny anyway for some reason or other, I guess I posted this when I was not in my calmest state so I am sorry about my rant, though I am still banned, though I would like to know when it ends, right now I have read enough on Feynman diagrams to last a life time!

Yeah, I was 'taking the mickey'/making fun of you a bit - good to see you didn't take it personally at least.:smallbiggrin:

xelliea
2011-04-03, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I was 'taking the mickey'/making fun of you a bit - good to see you didn't take it personally at least.:smallbiggrin:

Well at least there is a mod with a sense of humour, please don't ban me.

The Glyphstone
2011-04-03, 03:42 PM
Keep letting your inner nerdrage out to entertain us and I'll be laughing too hard to do anything.:smallbiggrin:

xelliea
2011-04-03, 04:00 PM
ha touché :smallsmile:. Well there was this one time I... *nerd rage* and then they rejected my fanfic about mario going out with master cheif and then they *continues with nerd rage* and then they said Sony was better than Nintendo and then *even more nerd rage* and THEN they didn't put sonic in OOTS *maximum nerd rage* ... why am I doing this!!!!!!!!!!!11111one

Flame of Anor
2011-04-03, 04:07 PM
Glyphstone is the coolest mod.

The Glyphstone
2011-04-03, 04:19 PM
"These jackboots were made for walkin'..."

xelliea
2011-04-04, 02:03 PM
Hmm I've been thinking, I wrote the OP when I was tired and annoyed, looking back I doubt anyone is really that interested in my rant.

Sipex
2011-04-04, 03:04 PM
When the newest map pack for reach came out my friends and I got together to get the achievements the cheap and lazy way (but perfectly legal to be honest). Basically we filled up 8 spots with extra controllers and got one achievement after another. Go ahead and judge, we know it's sad but none of us have time for the sort of concentrated gaming it requires to get some of these legitimately anymore.

Anyways, off track, while doing this one of my friends must've completed a daily challenge or two (daily challenges change daily, you fulfill the requirements to gain extra credits) because he was quickly credit banned for the rest of the night (while we were left alone).

It was frustrating, yes, but he understood why it happened. It wore off a week later when he played again.

Mando Knight
2011-04-04, 03:10 PM
...My younger brother and I had a different means of forcing things like that: specifically, Firefight will allow the game to proceed if there are only two players. Using this fact, we started a Firefight Matchmaking game with a relatively poor connection (and in a rural area, if that affects ping). We weren't shut down when we tried it, and we were able to get a few achievements and daily challenges doing it.

Though a lot of the Firefight achievements don't care about whether you're on Matchmaking or not, so you can hop onto a local game, turn the Spartans invincible, and utterly annihilate the bots.

Domochevsky
2011-04-04, 04:33 PM
Go ahead and judge, we know it's sad but none of us have time for the sort of concentrated gaming it requires to get some of these legitimately anymore.

...then why not say "screw achievements" altogether? I don't quite understand the appeal of Achievements in the first place. >_>

xelliea
2011-04-05, 04:38 AM
...then why not say "screw achievements" altogether? I don't quite understand the appeal of Achievements in the first place. >_>

Well I believe it's a mixture of wanting the highest gamerscore out of your friends (achievements are worth G or gamerscore, the harder the achievement to more you get, most of the time.) and the happy feeling you get when you get that really hard achievement (like 'if they came to hear me beg' halo players will know.) and the satisfaction not only that you did it but that you finally have it and your one step closer to full game completion.

Sipex
2011-04-05, 08:54 AM
Achievements are interesting in my circle, while my friends and I lightly compete we don't really focus on it, instead they're something to talk about and see who can get what achievement and from there, discuss how the others can get them. In the best cases they're a group activity (halo skulls, vidmaster challenges, etc), giving us additional goals to strive for.

In addition it doesn't help that I'm a completionist and that the achievements make it feel like I have something (no matter how pointless) to say "I did this."