PDA

View Full Version : Calm Emotions Immunity

Pard
2011-04-01, 04:21 PM
Anyway of getting around Calm Emotions without a Will save? And I mean besides with a race/template that is just immune to such stuff.

Basically I have a level 20 Barbarian5/Fist of the Forest3/Bear Warrior45/Frenzied Berserker5/Primeval2 and I need to find a way around the Calm Emotions aura that "Vow of Peace" gives off and my +10 will save isn't looking to good against a 10+10+Xcon DC...

NNescio
2011-04-01, 04:29 PM
Anyway of getting around Calm Emotions without a Will save? And I mean besides with a race/template that is just immune to such stuff.

Basically I have a level 20 Barbarian5/Fist of the Forest3/Bear Warrior45/Frenzied Berserker5/Primeval2 and I need to find a way around the Calm Emotions aura that "Vow of Peace" gives off and my +10 will save isn't looking to good against a 10+10+Xcon DC...

Is this a solo campaign? Being able to be "calmed" is a great asset to your party members, since a Frenzied Berserker is a potential TPK waiting to happen if the party can't control him.

Keld Denar
2011-04-01, 04:30 PM
Immunity to [Mind Affecting] abilities works. From here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851), we find:
Cheap:
Command-activated custom item of Mind Blank (DMG). 43200GP, head or shoulders slot? Following the magic item creation guidelines, this would cost 8 (Spell level) x 15 (Caster level) * 1800 (Command word multiplier) * 1/5 (Once per day) = 43200 GP. The price is so low that I'd not allow the item myself, but you can use this as a starting point for your haggling with the DM.
Deluxe:
Third Eye Conceal (MIC, XPH). 120000GP, face slot. More or less what it says on the tin - Mind Blank, all day.
Ring of Mental Fortitude (DMG2). 110000GP, ring slot. Gets you the mind-affecting immunity aspect, but not the anti-divination aspect.
Cortical Armor (Und). 146650GP, body slot. Mind Blank while worn, and a few side benefits that may be useful to some.
Cowl of Warding (MoF). 200800GP, head slot. Mind Blank, along with Freedom of Movement and Spell Turning. If you don't need the Spell Turning, it would be cheaper to get a ring for the other two effects.

Occult Slayer and Illithid Slayer both grant it as a class feature, but it looks like you already have your build.

Hirax
2011-04-01, 04:30 PM
Scroll down to "Sword, Berserking." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm)

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I think that would achieve what you want. You could probably convince your DM to make versions of that on different weapons with different enchantments.

edit: have someone cast remove curse on you when combat is over, and it will allow you to stop wielding the weapon and then come under the effect of the calming aura.

Pard
2011-04-01, 04:37 PM
Is this a solo campaign? Being able to be "calmed" is a great asset to your party members, since a Frenzied Berserker is a potential TPK waiting to happen if the party can't control him.

It's a PvP game, and one of the players has a calm emotion that I cannot beat, even on a 20.

And thanks for quick responses, going to look into some of those items.

Douglas
2011-04-01, 04:40 PM
With a class build like that, I imagine your constitution is absurdly high. Take the Steadfast Determination feat from PHB2, and you'll get to apply that ultra high con bonus to your will saves in place of wisdom.

Pard
2011-04-01, 04:43 PM
With a class build like that, I imagine your constitution is absurdly high. Take the Steadfast Determination feat from PHB2, and you'll get to apply that ultra high con bonus to your will saves in place of wisdom.

Thought about it, but I need to get berserking, in bear form, and in FoF trance in order to get a high enough con to beat his DC, and both trance and rage would need a Will save to enter in the first place.

Hirax
2011-04-01, 04:46 PM
Just as an aside, have you conisdered the berserk PrC from Deities and Demigods? It gives another ragelike ability.

Sacrieur
2011-04-01, 05:03 PM
get an item that provides you with mind blank.

Forbiddenwar
2011-04-01, 09:13 PM
get an item that provides you with mind blank.

I think this is what you need. Additional rage sources wouldn't have an effect against calm emotions. It calms them all from all sources.

Sacrieur
2011-04-01, 09:38 PM
I think this is what you need. Additional rage sources wouldn't have an effect against calm emotions. It calms them all from all sources.

Mind blank is a must for almost all fighter characters anyway.

Darrin
2011-04-01, 10:14 PM

A single feat, Shape Soulmeld: Planar Ward makes you immune to mind-control, enchantment (charm), and enchantment (compulsion) effects.

Telonius
2011-04-01, 11:06 PM
A cheap way would be to get Protection from [alignment]. Calm Emotions is a Compulsion, and Protection suppresses those for the duration of the spell. A custom item (or even a Scroll if you can UMD it) would be fairly cheap, since it's a first-level spell.

NNescio
2011-04-02, 04:15 AM
A cheap way would be to get Protection from [alignment]. Calm Emotions is a Compulsion, and Protection suppresses those for the duration of the spell. A custom item (or even a Scroll if you can UMD it) would be fairly cheap, since it's a first-level spell.

Protection from Evil (which also applies to other Protection from X spells):

... Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). ...

Calm Emotions:

This spell calms agitated creatures. You have no control over the affected creatures, ...