PDA

View Full Version : Heroic Tier, Ho!

Janus
2011-04-01, 05:19 PM
The Big 16
1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
D&D 4e

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
Homebrew, but still a usual medieval fantasy world.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
I'm thinking 4-5. I'll keep alternates in mind should people drop out.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
The forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
1st level.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
100gp (and basic clothing. You're welcome).

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
No homebrew. I'm not familiar with Essentials, so I'd rather avoid it, but if you think it'll blend in well with standard 4e, I'll allow it.
If you use Shadow or infernal powers (basically any character that uses evil stuff for good/neutral purposes), it's better that you be discreet. Townsfolk won't exactly trust you.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
No monsters, please (including drow). Tieflings, expect trouble in towns.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
Standard 22 point buy. HP is class + Con score.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
Standard 4e alignments, no evil.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
Just the multiclass feats.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
Forum roller. Roll your own checks, attacks, etc.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
Everyone is limited to 1 background bonus. Any official source is fine.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
Just a simple history. Basic info on your motives, training, life prior to adventuring, etc.
Feel free to flourish it as much as you want.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
Primarily hack/slash and roleplaying, though I may throw in a puzzle here and there.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
If it's in the Character Builder, I'll allow it.

Players
{table]Player | Character | Race/Class | Role
Baldin| Rand (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=286594)| Human Runepriest | Leader
Umbranar | Alaris (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=286605)| Dragonborn Paladin | Defender
Wiz828 | Horvath Thunderson (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=286530)| Dwarf Cleric | Leader
KingRexII | Quixilis (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=286776)| Eladrin Wizard | Controller
horngeek | Rose (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=286604)| Razorclaw Shifter Avenger | Striker
Shades of Gray | Savriel (http://pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=6396)| Eladrin Swordmage | Defender
Nixed | Argael (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=286649)| Half-Elf Warlock | Striker
Tiberius0476 | Kunzi (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=286564)| Dwarf Rogue | Striker
Ranger Mattos | Teleron (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=10776)| Razorclaw Shifter Avenger | Striker
Taria | Te'Aria (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=297787) | Elf Ranger | Striker[/table]

Alternates
{table]Player | Character | Race/Class | Role
Shades of Gray | Savriel (http://pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=6396)| Eladrin Swordmage | Defender
Nixed | Argael (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=286649)| Half-Elf Warlock | Striker
Tiberius0476 | Kunzi (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=286564)| Dwarf Rogue | Striker[/table]

OOC here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10683433#post10683433

Brandis Donnelly is an old, retired adventurer who has contacted all of you though various means, though never face-to-face. He wishes to meet with you, stating that he has news of dire urgency, and he needs the mightiest of adventurers to help him with a problem that may soon threaten the town, if not more. He has asked to meet with you at tavern of the Sleeping Dragon's Inn.

As you arrive, the weather is dismal as rain pours outside. The tavern itself has a decent crowd of people, most of whom are listening to a wandering minstrel as he entertains and shares news of surrounding lands.
Unfortunately, it seems that your host has not yet arrived.

Wiz828
2011-04-01, 06:07 PM
Horvath

Horvath Thunderson walks into the tavern loud and proud as any dwarf should. Upon seeing Mr. Donnely has not yet arrived, Horvath moves to an empty table and takes a seat that faces the entrance, so he can see people entering.
"Oi! Bartender! Bring me a tankard of yer finest ale!" he yells.

Janus
2011-04-01, 06:43 PM
"Coming, milord!" the portly human bartender replies.
"No need to shout..." he mutters as he sends a barmaid over to Horvath's table with a tankard of ale.

Umbranar
2011-04-01, 07:40 PM
Alaris enter the bar, seeing that most tables are full he join the dwarf.

Greeting him first:
Greeting Master Dwarf, mind if i join you? I am Alaris warrior of the Silverscale tribe. To the barkeeper he sais: I would like the same as the Dwarf please, ill pay for this round.

Janus
2011-04-01, 07:55 PM
The barkeep sends the barmaid again carrying your order. She seems a tad shy- she's probably not used to seeing Dragonborn around here.

Wiz828
2011-04-01, 08:10 PM
Horvath

"Well isn't that most generous of you master dragon." Upon receiving his ale, Horvath downs it in 3 big gulps. "Aaaaaah. That's good stuff," he says sighing contently, "but let me not forget my manners. My name is Horvath Thunderson, of Clan Thunderson. What business brings you to this here tavern?"

I am assuming for now we do not yet know each other.

Janus
2011-04-01, 08:13 PM
Was that to me or Umbranar?
If it was to me, then it's up to you if your characters know anyone else.

KingRexII
2011-04-02, 12:15 AM
Quixilis comes through the doors huddling a book within his cloak. The book is dry, but the Eladrin's hair and outer wear are soaked. He heads straight toward any fire he can find to dry himself, carefully protecting his book as he walks.

When a barmaid asks for his order, he will (ironically) answer "Water." He looks around the tavern before adding, "... in a clean glass, if you please."

Baldin
2011-04-02, 01:34 AM
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=286594

As Rand , human, enters the tavern he looks around and sees that there isnt much room in the tavern exept for some seats where a dwarf and dragonborne are sitting, and so he makes his way there asking them in a heavy dwarven accent:
"Hi there lads, mind if i join ye on this fine evening? My name be Rand Turner, may Moradin be praised for the finest of ale there is in this town."

In dwarven he sais: "Im from the Steelhammer Clan, where be you from brother?"

Umbranar
2011-04-02, 02:30 AM
Alaris sits down, pulling his helmet of his head and placing it on the table.
His shield leans against the wall behind him.
After he took a sip from his ale he answers the Horvath: I have an appointment here, but it seems that he has not yet arrived.

When the other dwarf joins the table: Greetings, Excuse me, but i do not master the dwarven language. but please take a seat with us, the more the merrier.

Baldin
2011-04-02, 02:35 AM
Ooc: im no dwarf i am, human:)

Rand takes a seat and replys:"Sorry indeed, just habbits you see, im raised by the dwarfs and so it comes natural to me, i was a wee bit curious to which clan he holds"

horngeek
2011-04-02, 04:59 AM
Rose

A young-looking woman enters the tavern, wrapped in a cloak and carrying a halberd. She looks around with bright blue eyes, seeing who's there as she pulls the hood back, revealing feline-like features.

Baldin
2011-04-02, 05:19 AM
Rand stands taking back his seat "melady, as you can see there be little room in here, though at our table there still are some seats if you would like tp join us"

Wiz828
2011-04-02, 06:51 AM
Horvath

Horvath raises an eyebrow when the boy adresses him, then bursts out in a thunderous laugh. "Horvath Thunderson be my name laddie, of Clan Thunderson from the Palepeak Mountains. I must say you caught me off-guard there for a moment. It's not often I meet a human who speaks my tongue so fluently." He turns around to order another beer, still chuckling to himself.

Umbranar
2011-04-02, 07:17 AM
Alaris focuses on the crowd in the tavern, his golden eyes sweeping through the tavern, trying to see anyone who could be the one he has an appointment with. When he doesnt see him, he tries to listen in on other conversations, hoping to catch some news of whats going on in the area.

Perception [roll0]

KingRexII
2011-04-02, 09:00 AM
Quix, who has now taken off his cloak to dry more properly, takes out a piece of soaked paper upon which his notes were scribbled. He tries to read the running ink, "Br-- Bracklus? Bracklus Bu-- Bracklus Bunny? That doesn't seem right..." He lifts his head and is clearly attempting to find someone in the din.

Janus
2011-04-02, 09:28 AM
In response to Quixilis, the barmaid smiles politely. "Naturally, sir!"
She walks away, shaking her head and mumbling, "Of course it'll be a clean glass, you pompous git..." She soon returns with Quixilis's water (in a clean glass! Huzzah!).

Those listening to the surrounding conversations notice nothing of real interest, save a very heated debate on the relations of birds and dinosaurs, a man claiming to have caught a fish the size of the Tarrasque, a discussion regarding the possibility of housecats killing commoners, and of course, the minstrel's song:

Minstrel
Come hither and hear my tale,
of how my status in life how somehow became reversed
grant me but one moment with your ear
and allow me to regale you with my tale of nobility in the humble parish of Bel-Air

In the rolling lily fields of Pennsylvania I sprang forth from the womb
My days filled with the innocent pursuits of boyhood
Retreating from the hot sting of the sun’s rays I frolicked in the most carefree way
Sport shooting pheasants with my dear kin folk
When a band of miscreants, true rapscallions whose hearts contained no morsel of goodness
Enacted wrongful tribulation upon my peaceful shire
I engorged in a bout of fisticuffs of no true magnitude, my mother… trembling with fear
Off with you she cried to the esteemed estate of your uncle, Phillip Banks Esquire

With a whistle I hailed a carriage and secured passage to aforementioned estate
Inscribed on the carriage were the letters F-R-E-S-H and the driver carried on his person a six sided trinket of vice
Let it be noted this chaise was truly without equal
However I paid it no mind and ordered that we depart post haste

I promptly arrived on the grounds at a juncture around seven in the evening
And I called to the quartermaster “Release me from thy fowl stench, for thou art utterly macabre.”
I gazed upon my royal grounds, I journey no longer
To sit upon my throne as the Prince of Bel-Air.

After another ten minutes or so of waiting, another man enters the tavern. You notice that he's carrying a walking stick, which he consistently uses to feel the floor and objects around him.
Greeting the newcomer, the barkeep himself takes the man's cloak, and leads him to a private room near the back of the tavern.
He asks the barkeep a question, who points at your gathering in return. The newcomer, without looking at you, motions for you to follow him into the room.

Baldin
2011-04-02, 10:04 AM
Rand shifts his seat back and stands moving towards the newcomer "Seems like that be our host" and follows him to where the man wants him.

Wiz828
2011-04-02, 11:03 AM
Horvath

Our host? Horvath wonders to himself. He then proceeds to follow Rand into the private room.

Janus
2011-04-02, 11:55 AM
The room is a small one, furnished with a round table and little more. The man thanks a barmaid as she enters with a drink, handing her a silver coin in return.
In the candlelight, you finally get a better look at your host. He is an aged man, no younger than 50, and his gray hair is matted and a bit dirty, though he seems to have attempted to make himself look as presentable as he could. He has a stubbly beard on his face.
His most noticeable feature is a single long, jagged scar running across his face, passing over his eyes, which are a very light shade of blue. He acknowledges your presence as you enter (which you notice that he seems to do through a mix of sound and smell), but hardly looks in any particular direction.

"Good afternoon, my friends. Brandis Donnelly, at your service. I trust that you had no trouble finding the place?" Despite his age and disabilities, he speaks with an air of self-confidence.

Baldin
2011-04-02, 01:07 PM
"Not at all melord, such a fine tavern as this aint hard to find, me name be Rand Turner"

horngeek
2011-04-02, 02:43 PM
"I'm Rose. You said you needed help, Mr. Donnelly?"

Umbranar
2011-04-02, 03:09 PM
When he sees the man, Alaris picks up his helmet from the table and puts his shield on his back. He follows the rest into the room.

When he enters and the man spoke he sais:

"Finding the place was not hard, once i knew where to look anyway. I heard you had need of my skills, master Donnelly. What can i ,Alaris of the Silverscale tribe and servant of Bahamut, do for a human? "

KingRexII
2011-04-02, 04:59 PM
Quix deftly gathers his belongings when he spots his host, and he hurries into the back room.

Ah! That's his name, he thinks when the old man introduces himself. "Quixilis, at your service, sir."

Janus
2011-04-03, 02:01 PM
"A fine pleasure to meet you all. Thank you for coming.
"And now, to business, I suppose. A problem has recently been brought to my attention, and I believe that if we solve it quickly and quietly, we can avoid causing panic in this town.
"Years ago, I was an adventurer myself. My party found itself fighting against a blackguard, one who'd made a pact with Asmodeus himself. We managed to defeat him, but due to his unholy pact, we could not actually kill him. Each time we seemingly dealt the deathblow, his wounds would immediately heal again and he would continue the fight.
"Calling on our gods, my comrades and I imprisoned him in a small jewel. Our battle took its toll," (he gestures to the scar on his eyes), "and only one of my comrades and I survived. Her name was Relena, a half-elven paladin of Pelor. I entrusted her with the responsibility of hiding away the imprisoned blackguard. She placed it in a dungeon near this town, and against my objections, remained with it to protect it.
"Over the years, we have communicated off and on, and I have noticed her becoming increasingly influenced by the blackguard's evil power. I now have great reason to fear that she will release him and help him continue his unholy crusade.

"I would go confront her myself, but with my age and blindness, I am unable to pass the dangers of the dungeon, nor would I do well in a fight.
"What I ask of you, adventurers (and you will be well rewarded for your efforts), is to enter this dungeon, confront Relena, and stop the blackguard from rising again.
"Will you help me?"

Baldin
2011-04-03, 04:51 PM
Rand takes a step forth and with a determined voice says "If what ye tells be true then i put meself in service of this quest for a thing so veil as what ye describe there be reason enough to venture into such a danger to keep it at bay, i be accepting ye call for aid, may Moradin guide us in our task" and slams his hand on the symbol of Moradin that hand around his neck.

Umbranar
2011-04-03, 05:02 PM
Alaris gets a serius look in his eyes, righteous fury seems to flare within him.
"As fellow paladin i can see its vital to keep this one on the right path. As for the blackguard, servants of evil must be destroyed on sight, or in this case be hold in check."

He reaches for his symbol of Bahamut and vows: "I will stop this evil."

horngeek
2011-04-03, 07:10 PM
"I will aid you in this."

Rose's words are very quiet.

KingRexII
2011-04-03, 11:21 PM
The high elf responds with a bit of surprise: "As- Asmodeus, you say?" His studies only briefly covered devils and demons, but that name certainly meant something to him. Heartened (or perhaps embarrassed) by the courage the others were displaying, Quix also answers in the affirmative. "Well, if you think a relative neophyte such as myself can somehow help, my spellbook and I are yours."

Janus
2011-04-04, 01:21 PM
Brandis lays a blank piece of parchment, a jar of ink, and a silver quill on the table. As he continues speaking, you notice the quill levitating, inking itself, and drawing a map on the parchment.

"My humble thanks to all of you," he says, smiling warmly. "There are five of you, yes?"
He withdraws five small pouches and places them on the table. Inside each is 20 gp.
"There will be more once the job is done, but please, use this to equip yourselves with anything you need before you leave.
"Furthermore, I suggest that you speak with the wizard in this town, a friend of mine by the name of Tomlin. The dungeon requires a special set of tools to open the door, and I requested them to prepare them for you. He can be found in his tower here at the north of town.
"I will be lodging here if you have any need of me."

Umbranar
2011-04-04, 01:42 PM
Alaris steps towards the table and pick up one pouch, putting it away in a pocket and thanking Brandis. He then turns to the party and sais:We didnt all have a proper introduction yet, I am Alaris of the Silverscale tribe, paladin of Bahamut. I will use my talents to protect you, since that is what i have done for my tribe and what i do best. I suggest we go and pick up the tools, trying to learn as much as possible from the Wizard"

After the introductions are made he starts for the tower.

KingRexII
2011-04-04, 01:53 PM
Quix picks up a pouch, amused at the novel concept of being paid to work his magic. He is unsure what to do with his extra money. His mood perks when he learns that they are to meet a fellow wizard. "Oh, most excellent! I would relish an extend conversation with Master Tomlin." Instead of the Common word 'Master,' he uses a oft-used Eladrin honorific saved for high-ranking or high-powered wizards.

To the group, he introduces himself: "I, too, am a wizard, but of paltry skill and power. What arcane might I have will be used to progress our cause."

He follows after Alaris.

@Umbranar -- you can delete your post if there's nothing interesting in it.

Baldin
2011-04-04, 01:56 PM
Rand follows Alaris example, thanking Brandis then turns to the group. "My name be Rand Turner, me be learned the art of the divine runes of Moradin. Just to make sure there be no confusion, i be a human, but i be raised by the dwarfs and so in heart am one. If ever someone is harmed or ill come see me and ill be getting you up in a hurry."

Wiz828
2011-04-06, 07:56 AM
Horvath

"This is as good a case as any to dedicate myself to. My name is Horvath Thunderson and I'm a priest in the service of Moradin." Having made a proper introduction, Horvath follows the others on the trip to the Wizard.

Janus
2011-04-06, 11:21 AM
As you leave, Brandis offers a final word of advice:

"Oh, and be mindful of Tomlin. He can be a very... eccentric man."

As you head outside, you find that the rain has stopped, though the sky remains clouded (but at least there's a pleasant breeze outside). You soon find your way to Tomlin's home- a small tower in the north of town.
The tower itself is simply made of stone, with large wooden double doors featuring brass knockers in the shape of lion heads. Tomlin is clearly a budding artist with an extreme and original approach to decorating.

KingRexII
2011-04-06, 01:09 PM
In his excitement, Quix hurries and manages to get to the door first. Unsure about the non-Eladrin custom of knocking on a Wizard's door, he decides to wait for the others. He has had stories of students of magic who knock on their master's door without the proper pomp and circumstance.

In the meanwhile, his curiosity drives him to take a closer look around the door. You never know if Tomlin prepared Explosive Runes this morning.

Detect Magic (Sense the Presence of Magic): [roll0]
Target: Door and surrounding area

Janus
2011-04-06, 02:24 PM
Fortunately, no Explosive Runes were prepared this morning (or anytime recently).
There is not much magic to be found out here, but you do hear some faint music. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFPsEwV38Q0) Perhaps Tomlin is a fan of musical theater?

Umbranar
2011-04-06, 06:25 PM
Alaris steps forward and knocks on the door, using a knocker.
He then steps back and wait.

"Well crafted doors, the person who made this certainly masters his profession"

Alaris admires the doors as he his waiting, seeming to value the craftsmanship.

Janus
2011-04-06, 07:26 PM
After a moment, the door is opened by an animated suit of armor. It bows to you courteously, opens the visor of its helmet (revealing nothing inside), and then emits the sound of fantastic trumpet fanfare, then loudly proclaims:

"Welcome to the Tower of Tomlin the Terrific!"
Small fireworks shoot from his helmet.
"To continue in Common, say '1'."
"Pra continuar em português, diga '2.'"
<"To continue in Elven, say '3'.">
<"To continue in Dwarven..."> (and so on and so forth).

KingRexII
2011-04-06, 08:48 PM
"Oh, how clever!" Quix squees. "I suppose we should make sure that everyone can understand -- one!"

Janus
2011-04-06, 08:51 PM
"What is your business with Tomlin the Terrific?"

horngeek
2011-04-06, 11:31 PM
"...words fail me."

Baldin
2011-04-07, 02:46 AM
Rand takes a deep breath and says:"We have been send by master Brandis, now go get ye master and let us in, we have an urgent task to attent to."

Janus
2011-04-07, 09:04 AM
The construct motions for you to step inside.
"Wait here!" it says and shambles off, leaving you in the waiting room.

It is a small circular room, with stone walls and a wood floor. Various trinkets, objects, books, and scrolls are either shelved, stacked, or hanging throughout the room. Some are basic items that you'd expect in a wizard's home, while others are things you do not recognize (what is that winged toy hanging from the ceiling? (https://secure.steenaero.com/Store/images/site_images/wooden_toy_biplane_320x240.jpg)).

The floors are adorned by various symbols, most representing the schools of magic (though necromancy is noticeably absent). Most prominent are five symbols: four are of the elements earth, fire, wind, and water. The fifth is unfamiliar to you- a pie shaped object with a border (a crust?) and what appear to be various meats and vegetables adorning it.

OOC
I've got to get to class, so I can't write about Tomlin himself right now. Feel free to roleplay!

Umbranar
2011-04-07, 10:28 AM
Alaris looks at the wooden toy with wings: "Is that supposed to be able to fly? How does it flap its wings? Obviously this wizard didnt study birds to well or he is a madman, i suggest we be on our guard."

Alaris walks around the room checking the other trinkets lying around, some seem well crafted, while others look like the result of a madman`s fantasy.

KingRexII
2011-04-07, 10:51 AM
Quix hmmms to himself, more absorbed at the symbols on the floor and mostly ignoring Alaris. He understands the brilliant mind can sometimes jump to conclusions that are impossible for a more mundane to reach. He studies the symbols on the floor. He crouches down low, his loose strands of hair dragging along the ground.

Check to see if he recognizes the fifth element (? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119116/)): [roll0]

Janus
2011-04-07, 01:29 PM
Alaris Quix is aware of theories regarding a Fifth Element, the most common idea being one called "boron," and the most interesting of which comes from a noble named Lord Christopher of Tucker, but you have never seen anything like this particular symbol before:
http://www.1clipart.com/clipart/food/cooked/pizza/30-479121238.gif

Down the hall, you hear the construct announcing your presence to someone. "In a moment, I'm almost on a breakthrough here! Pumilius, check the angular vector of the moon!" You hear several objects clatter to the floor, along with some barking.
"No, Max, no!"

Baldin
2011-04-07, 03:52 PM
Rand walks trough the room stopping to watch at some of the things that decorate it: "Me be thinking that it might be something to put a horse in front, and with the things at the side you can sit on, like a couch, but then for more people. Mmm weird thing it be...."

Umbranar
2011-04-07, 05:43 PM
Alaris looks at the wooden toy again.
"You mean like a cart or coach? Seems rather inefficient. It doesnt look like something you would use on a field either to grow crops either. Lets not ask, you never know in what state of mind this wizard might be"

Clearly the dragonborn either doesnt think of the fact the wizard can hear him or he simply doesnt care. Either way the dragonborn seems puzzeled, shaking his head.

Janus
2011-04-07, 09:23 PM
Finally, after hearing some small explosions and curses, a tall old man staggers out to you. His gray beard is slightly singed (and smoking), and he wears a robe and pointy hat of a bluish-gray tone. A monocle adorns his left eye.
"Brandis sent you, eh? What's it about? Out with it!"

KingRexII
2011-04-08, 12:44 AM
Quix doesn't mind the smell of burnt beard. "<Master> Tomlin" -- again, he uses the Eladrin honorific -- "Brandis says we need your special tools to enter the dungeon where Relena watches guard over an unholy blackguard."

He looks down at Tomlin's beard. "<Master>, you seem to be smoking a little. If you would allow me..." Quix casts Prestidigitation to quench any lingering fire and/or to clean up his beard a little.

Umbranar
2011-04-08, 04:30 AM
Hearing the tone of the wizard the Dragonborn straightens to his full length, towering over the human by probably a feet.

"The wizard speaks the truth, master Brandis told us you have the means to enter that dungeon. We need them in order to save the paladin and stop the blackguard. I suggest you hand them over quickly so we can leave you to....whatever you do."

Janus
2011-04-08, 01:10 PM
After Quix's prestidigitation, Tomlin blinks a few times and then inspects himself in a mirror. As Tomlin looks himself over, his reflection suddenly gives him two thumbs up and a big smile. Satisfied, Tomlin turns back to you, suddenly seeming a lot friendlier.

"Ah, yes, Brandis mentioned that he might be sending a band over to that old ruin." He turns to the hallway. "Pumilius! Make them a key!"

Turning back to you, he shakes the men's hands and kisses Rose's.
"A pleasure to meet you all!
"And my thanks to you, good Eladrin, for your dweomer-work!"

KingRexII
2011-04-08, 03:21 PM
Quix finds it difficult to maintain an Eladrin's usual stoicism. He nods awkwardly at shaking Tomlin's hand.

horngeek
2011-04-09, 02:30 AM
Rose doesn't really seem to know how to respond to the kiss, but settles for nodding. "It was nice to meet you too."

Janus
2011-04-09, 10:43 AM
"Now come, it will take Pumilius an hour or so to prepare that key for you." He walks back down the hall, beckoning for you all to follow him.
"Now you must eat something! And tell me of yourselves!"

Umbranar
2011-04-09, 11:55 AM
Alaris looks at the hand, then remembers the weird gesture. Careful not to break the wizard`s he shakes. Then he thinks about the offer of food. "If i was hungry i would accept your offer of food, so thanks for the offer but i decline. But i will join you at the table if you don`t mind."

Janus
2011-04-09, 12:21 PM
"Oh, nonsense! You have to try some of this!" He snaps his fingers at different points of the kitchen. The cupboards open themselves, and plates, cups, and utensils all fly neatly to the table. He opens the oven and pulls out a large, steaming, pie-shaped entrée. He snaps his fingers again, and a knife flies from the cupboard, evenly dividing the food into slices.
A small terrier runs into the kitchen, yipping and jumping at Tomlin.
"Down, Max! No!"
He sets the comestible on the table, looking thoroughly pleased.
You've never seen it before:
http://www.songspeak.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/pepperoni-pizza.jpg

"Go on, don't be shy!" he says, taking a slice and handing it to Max, who runs off with it happily.

Umbranar
2011-04-09, 01:02 PM
"Its the way my people live, only eat when you need to be fed to live not for pleasure, but by all means do tell s about the dungeon, the paladin and the blackguard."

KingRexII
2011-04-09, 10:23 PM
Not one to refuse a master wizard, Quix agrees to share a meal with him. The sight of the strange food elicits a simultaneous feeling of revulsion and curiosity. After trying his first bite, he politely, but ineffectually, tries to hide his distaste for the heavy food. Hoping that no one sees him, he quietly tries his Prestidigitation spell again to make the food taste more like his mother's cooking back in the Feywild.

After he chokes down a few more bites, he notes, "<Master> Tomlin, you certainly favor circular objects. It is a prevalent motif in your home. Is there some significance?"

Janus
2011-04-09, 10:34 PM
"I'm so glad you asked!
"'Tis a representation of the fifth element, the very thing that you are eating right now:
I call it 'pizza!'

To Alaris he replies:
"Eh, I couldn't say exactly, Master Dragonborn. I rarely find much cause to go exploring around here; that was always Brandis's game. Sounds perfectly dreadful, whatever it is."

horngeek
2011-04-10, 02:50 AM
Rose looks down at being asked about herself. "I'd rather not talk about it."

Baldin
2011-04-10, 04:22 AM
Rand pick up his part and eagerly shoves it in his mouth saying with a mouth full "Tastes good, Alaris you wont mind if i be taking your part then."

Umbranar
2011-04-10, 04:36 PM
"Not at all Rand, i wont be taking it i just want to go and solve the trouble at hand."

Alaris just waits for the key to finish, not speaking unless he is asked something. This wizard has clearly done a spell to many and lost his sanity.

Janus
2011-04-11, 02:50 PM
After a while, Pumilius, a bespectacled gnome, returns with a large, glowing key.
"Good news, everyone! I've invented a device which will you allow you access to the dungeon!" Tomlin rolls his eyes and begins an argument with his apprentice as to who invented the key.

Assuming you have no further questions for Tomlin, you finally bid farewell and leave.

Baldin
2011-04-12, 02:42 AM
"That wizard be mad i tell ye, ahwell lets move to this dungeon."

Umbranar
2011-04-12, 06:20 AM
"Yeah i had that suspicion aswell. Lets go to the dungeon and see if we arent too late to act."

Alaris walks at the front of the group, wielding his shield, his weapon still in its sheath.

Janus
2011-04-15, 01:21 PM
You leave town and out into the forest, the sky still overcast and the wind slightly chilly. Following Brandis's map, you make your way through the forest with no trouble, save for stumbling on tree roots and having branches hit you in the face.

After nearly two days' travel, you come across one of the landmarks found on your map. A twenty-five foot wide river lies before you at the bottom of a twenty foot chasm. The dungeon you seek is still not in sight, but lies somewhere on the other side of this river.

Janus
2011-04-17, 02:33 PM
Horvath suddenly stops and begins to pray. In moments, a beam of light descends upon him, and he ascends to a higher plane of existence.
In the meantime, an Eladrin woman falls from the sky and lands near you.

Your day continues despite the oddities.

Shades of Gray
2011-04-17, 03:08 PM
Savriel

Savriel rubs her head and straightens out her neck before standing up to dust herself off. She spat out some sand and dirt. "Bleh. Last time I try to teleport to the feywild." She raises an eyebrow at the people around her, as if they're the ones who are making a scene.

horngeek
2011-04-17, 05:02 PM
Rose blinks, and heads over to the woman. "Are you okay?

I'm Rose."

She leans on her glaive, looking in concern at the Eladrin woman.

Shades of Gray
2011-04-17, 07:02 PM
Savriel (http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/oliver426/g25845.png?t=1303084876)

The eladrin, who had not ten seconds ago been falling from the sky, looks confused at the shifter. "I'm wonderful. The name's Savriel." She extends a hand to Rose for a handshake and looks over the assorted adventuring party appraisingly.

Janus
2011-04-19, 07:11 AM
The river continues to flow in front of you.

Janus
2011-04-21, 02:39 PM
Without warning, Alaris and Rand tell gravity that it can go screw itself and float up into the sky to realms beyond mortal comprehension. In return, you see a twinkling light in the sky, which soon becomes a plummeting object. It crashes into the ground, creating a small crater. Upon closer inspection, you find that it's a half-elf man.

Janus
2011-04-21, 03:40 PM
Furthermore, a hole opens up and a dwarven man springs out. The hole closes behind him.

Nixed
2011-04-21, 06:49 PM
Looks around, cursing loudly as he takes stock of himself.
"At least I'm not naked this time" To no one in particular.

Tiberius0476
2011-04-22, 03:13 PM
The dwarf, having emerged from the dark hole, seems momentarily blinded by the brightness of the overcast weather. As his eyes adjust, he notices the pack of adventurers.

He introduces himself as Kunzi, and after brief conversation it is revealed that (by a staggering coincidence) he is on the same quest from the same old retired adventurer.

He looks at the river, hoping to see how rapid the current is, or if there are any tree branches sticking out of it that would help betray its depth, or anything else particularly helpful and noticeable.

Uhh Perception check: [roll0]

Janus
2011-04-22, 04:02 PM
You can't really tell how deep the water is, but it's moving fast enough that it would be difficult to stand still in it. You notice some large rocks in the river that provide a path to jump across, though they are wet and probably slippery.

Tiberius0476
2011-04-29, 12:12 PM
Kunzi looks over the adventuring party. They are all standing around, as if frozen in place. He can barely tell that they are breathing. As drool begins to drip from the corners of the mouths of the two eladrin and the shifter, Kunzi turns to the warlock and notices signs of consciousness.

"So, half-man, got any ideas on how to cross this thing? I'm a natural-born climber, but it doesn't look like that'll do us much good here."

Nixed
2011-04-29, 12:33 PM
Takes a look to see if there is anywhere to tie off a rope to allow them to attempt to cross without being swept away. "Well, those rocks look like they might do the trick. Maybe we can tie a rope across it to make crossing less dangerous."

Shades of Gray
2011-04-30, 10:25 AM
Savriel

The eladrin stretched. "See you on the other side." She said with a wink, before running up to the edge and jumping foreward. Surely she could not make a twenty-five foot jump... But all of a sudden she disappears in a flash of blue light and appears at the other side of the river. She yawns.

Tiberius0476
2011-05-01, 08:00 PM
"If I'd known she was gonna do that, I would've jumped on her back. Well Argael, should we toss her a rope, skip over the rocks..." he looks at the two unmoving members of the party. "...or use those two as flotation devices?"

Nixed
2011-05-01, 08:17 PM
Digs in his pack to do just that. The rope and rock part not the floating on people part.

Janus
2011-05-10, 03:52 PM
Quixilis spontaneously erupts in a burst of light and then disappears, traveling to another realm to battle gods in a contest that will likely one day destroy all of existence.
And Rose inexplicably turns into a dude.

Janus
2011-05-15, 09:11 AM
You see a turtle floating down the river. You notice that it slows down at one point and clambers over what could possibly be a shallowly submerged rock. It overcomes the obstacle, gains a level, and continues on its merry way.

Tiberius0476
2011-05-15, 03:22 PM
"By Brell's beard! That turtle is higher level than us, hide!" Hiding behind a nearby rock, it dawns on Kunzi that the turtle might have just shown a way across. He begins to plan a path across via the shallow rocks of the river.

Janus
2011-05-15, 03:48 PM
Te'Aria falls from the sky, landing close behind those who have not yet crossed the river.

Taria
2011-05-15, 03:54 PM
With a sonic boom resonating from the skies above, an elf ranger plummets to the earth, landing uninjured next to the party. Seamlessly, she joins the team. Her animal companion climbs down from her shoulder.

Tiberius0476
2011-05-15, 05:14 PM
Tying the rope from Argael's pack to himself and a nearby rock, Kunzi attempts to skip across the shallow rocks...

Acrobatics Check...[roll0]

Janus
2011-05-15, 06:05 PM
Kunzi makes it across with little trouble (a few scares of toppling over here and there, but nothing more). He makes it to the other end of the river, and now has a muddy/rocky twenty foot wall in front of him.

Tiberius0476
2011-05-15, 06:31 PM
Less skillfully, but no less confidently (or stubbornly), Kunzi attempts to climb out up to the top.

I think that's athletics... This will go poorly: [roll0]

Janus
2011-05-15, 07:28 PM
Kunzi unceremoniously falls on his (bearded?) dwarven bum.

Ranger Mattos
2011-05-15, 09:22 PM
Hm. It seems I forgot to post in the IC thread.

A shifter plummets from the sky alongside Te'Aria. He lands with bent legs and right fist on the ground, and his left arm resting on his right leg. He slowly stands up.

Tiberius0476
2011-05-16, 03:38 PM
Choosing not to give up so easily, Kunzi gives the climbing one more go.

Athletics: [roll0]

Nixed
2011-05-16, 03:58 PM
Moving slowly and using the rope to help as much as possible the warlock attempts to cross the rocks.

Acrobatics: [roll0]

Janus
2011-05-16, 05:41 PM
Kunzi's bum is reacquainted with the rock.
Argael slips and falls in the water, the current slowly beginning to carry him off.

Taria
2011-05-16, 07:37 PM
Te'Aria attempts to go across via the rocks.

acrobatics [roll0]

Janus
2011-05-16, 08:01 PM
Te'Aria gets about halfway, but starts to slip. Luckily, she manages to catch herself, very nearly doing the splits in the middle of the river.

Ranger Mattos
2011-05-16, 09:12 PM
Teleron jumps nimbly over the rocks, following the others.

Acrobatics: [roll0]

Janus
2011-05-16, 09:21 PM
Teleron makes it over to Kunzi, apparently hopping right over Te'Aria.

Nixed
2011-05-17, 08:26 AM
Uses the ropes to get himself back to shore. Already wet he just wades through the river upstream of the rocks the others are crossing to give himself something to keep from being washed away with.

Tiberius0476
2011-05-17, 04:04 PM
Stopping for a moment, Kunzi takes a slow, deep breath. "I'm a good climber," he reassures himself under his breath, "and I can climb this stupid wall no matter how muddy it is." With newfound resolve and determination, he takes a third go at the wall.

THIS TIME FOR SURE! [roll0]

Janus
2011-05-17, 05:15 PM
Despite all odds, despite all those who said he couldn't do it (even family and friends), Kunzi overcomes the obstacles and climbs the wall, dramatic and uplifting music playing as he finally does so.

Taria
2011-05-17, 05:52 PM
Having a quick flashback to her brief and painful career as a gymnast, Te'Aria attempts to get out of her interesting situation and finish crossing the rocks.

acrobatics [roll0]

Janus
2011-05-17, 08:05 PM
In a not-so-graceful-but-good-enough-manner, Te'Aria makes it over to the wall.

Taria
2011-05-18, 05:05 PM
"Hey, can someone throw us some rope? . . . Anyone?"

Te'Aria waits patiently for a reply.

Tiberius0476
2011-05-20, 04:55 PM
Kunzi hears Te'Aria's plea, but the rope tied to him is still tied to the rock on the opposite shore. Not having another rope in his inventory, he turns to the Eladrin, who is seemingly ignoring all of these events. Stunned by her apparent disregard for her teammates, he attempts to steal the rope from her pack for use.

If a few coins were to happen to come with it, it would be a complete and utterly unintentional coincidence. Thievery: [roll0]

Ranger Mattos
2011-05-20, 06:51 PM
OOC: Am I not able to climb the wall without a rope, or would that just make it much harder?

Janus
2011-05-21, 01:12 AM
Kunzi successfully swipes the rope from Savriel's bag.

Mattos
Yes, you can climb without the rope (Kunzi just did, in fact). It'd just be easier with one.

Ranger Mattos
2011-05-21, 08:37 AM
OOC: Just noticed my Athletics mod is -1. Guess I'll be going with the grappling hook. Do I need to make a check to throw the hook properly over the wall?

Tiberius0476
2011-05-21, 10:45 AM
Kunzi ties the stolen rope to a nearby rock (how convenient that there are always nearby rocks of significant weight) and lowers the rope down to his teammates below so that they can climb up.

Taria
2011-05-21, 04:05 PM
Te'Aria starts to climb the rope that Kunzi let down.

athletics [roll0]

Ranger Mattos
2011-05-21, 04:24 PM
Teleron follows Te'Aria up the rope.

[roll0] ...or maybe not.

Janus
2011-05-21, 04:39 PM
Te'Aria makes it up the wall while Teleron slips back down.

Ranger Mattos
2011-05-21, 04:56 PM
Teleron frowns angrily and reattempts the climb.

[roll0] ...why? Whyyyyy?

Janus
2011-05-21, 04:59 PM
Teleron is....
Well, he clambers towards the top, and starts to slip, when a bright light shines upon him, and he's suddenly filled with a divine fervor and makes it to the top (back at home, his closest unmarried female relative goes to a convent of Pelor).

Tiberius0476
2011-05-24, 10:44 AM
"Come, Argael, climb this rope and let us be finally done with this accursed river!!"

Janus
2011-05-24, 04:41 PM
The level 2 turtle returns and stares serenely at Savriel. A beam of light descends upon it, and it begins floating upward, solemnly taking Savriel by the hand, and finally disappears from sight, along with the eladrin.

Tiberius0476
2011-05-24, 09:01 PM
Kunzi's first thought is that he should've looted everything out of the Eladrin's pack. His second thought causes him to hit the ground prone, hoping not to be abducted by any higher-level turtles. "Hurry up, Warlock! The turtles are picking us off!"

Nixed
2011-05-26, 09:13 AM
Gives the rope a go.

Athletics: [roll0]

Janus
2011-05-26, 09:20 AM
He makes it! :smallbiggrin:
Everyone is now across the river.

OOC
Let me know what you want to do next, even if it's as simple as "continue on to the dungeon." I'll try to get this updated later today.

Janus
2011-05-27, 07:32 PM
You travel for another few hours, and finally come to something of interest- a hill with a large stone in front of it in the shape of a skull, with a dark passageway leading into the hill itself set into the skull's mouth. This must be the dungeon.
Subtle, huh?

Tiberius0476
2011-05-30, 10:18 AM
"Suppose we go in, then? I'm getting tired of being above ground."

He goes forward, a few feet from the entrance, to look for traps.
Is that thievery (+4), or dungeoneering (+8)? Either way here's the basic 1d20 roll for it... Oh and if it's perception I get a +12 :P [roll0]

Janus
2011-06-06, 02:01 PM
(that would be Perception).

Kunzi does not find any traps.

Taria
2011-06-06, 02:33 PM
"Well, no good will come from just standing around. I say we head on."

She starts walking towards the passageway.

Tiberius0476
2011-06-06, 07:48 PM
The dwarf follows her excitedly. "Finally, underground again!"

Janus
2011-06-08, 03:37 PM
You enter the skull rock's mouth, descending a set of dark stairs. The staircase opens into a medium-sized, circular room constructed of dark marble. On the floor and walls, you see the symbol of the god Asmodeus (http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/6375/Asmodeus.png) painted in a blood red.
There are signs of a battle that took place here: broken furniture, scratches and scorch marks, broken supplies and equipment, and burned and/or torn books all over the floor. All of it has a fine layer of dust and some cobwebs on it.

Before you is a door with a large symbol of Asmodeus on it.

Janus
2011-06-17, 07:28 PM
A tiny spider scurries across the floor.

Ranger Mattos
2011-06-17, 09:55 PM
Teleron stares at the symbols of Asmodeus. "A cult to Asmodeus?" he mutters.

Tiberius0476
2011-06-18, 06:14 PM
Kunzi steps on the tiny spider, and then examines some of the burnt books and their pages to see if he can glean anything from them about the room, the dungeon or its inhabitants. He looks at the writing to see what he can read, and then at the type of damage to try to learn what weapons or magic were used.

Janus
2011-06-20, 12:40 PM
The books are of little worth. Most are written in either ancient forms of Common, Dwarven, or Elven, and others in languages and alphabets you do not recognize. The little you are able to read amounts to a treatise on spellcasting, books on warfare and military tactics, world history, and somebody's attempt at an epic fantasy novel.
Given the scorch marks, burnt items, and ashes, you can tell that fire was used here, most probably magical in nature.
Whoever is carrying Pumilius's gadgets feels it vibrate in his/her bag.

And the spider's family cries as their father fails to return home. :smallfrown:

It seems that the spider was...
:smallcool:
...crushed by his personal turmoil.
Yyyyeeaaaaaahhhhhh!!!! (http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=csi)