PDA

View Full Version : Prone Warforged

Major
2011-04-01, 05:42 PM
Alright, so in the game we are starting up we have a warforged who has adamantine body.

http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=15129 <-his sheet

Now he calculated his weight at about 1000-1500lbs.

My question is that if I use grease or trip him in some way. How the hell is he gonna get up?

Either he has the strength to lift 1500lbs (in which case we can just have him drop boulders on people) or he is stuck. Which is it?

Next up, if I cast fly on him, then dispel it after he gets air (or some other way to make him fall) how strong would I be copying "rocks fall everybody dies"?

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-01, 05:47 PM
It's generally assumed that you can lift your own body weight (literally) unless your strength score is 0.

Major
2011-04-01, 05:52 PM
Exactly, which means in theory he can lift up to 1000lbs.

Which means he can pick up pretty damn heavy things.

Question 2: Anyway a medium sized creature can use a medium sized mount? I wanna ride on the warforged's back.

Jarian
2011-04-01, 05:52 PM
Strength is generally assumed to be a surplus to what it takes to move your own body. Hence why strength 1 characters can move even if they weigh 200 lbs.

---

With regards to falling warforged, falling creatures do not do falling damage by the rules. Falling objects do, and there is a table for calculating their damage if you wish to do so.

Heroes of Battle instructs us that it is a DC 15 reflex save to avoid falling warforged seige weaponry.

Xefas
2011-04-01, 05:54 PM
During the construction process, every Warforged has a complex non-dispellable matrix of spells woven into their design that comprehends the meta-concepts of the 3.5 D&D system, and intuitively readjusts the Warforged's relative weight to their own strength and the composition of the world around them whenever it would disrupt that system in an unintended way.

Major
2011-04-01, 05:55 PM
So the warforged can't carry pick up and throw something wearing 1000lbs?

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-01, 05:57 PM
Question 2: Anyway a medium sized creature can use a medium sized mount? I wanna ride on the warforged's back.

I bloody well hope so, ahaha.

You take a -5 penalty to Ride checks if you are attempting to ride something that's not meant to be ridden.

However, it's a simple matter of attaching a saddle and a harness to the Warforged's back. Voila! Suitable mount.

Yora
I assume that weight is based on a warforged entirely made from solid adamantine.
But I think adamantine body is actually more like adamantine plating on the outside. The inside parts would still me mostly steel and wood.

Major
I bloody well hope so, ahaha.

You take a -5 penalty to Ride checks if you are attempting to ride something that's not meant to be ridden.

However, it's a simple matter of attaching a saddle and a harness to the Warforged's back. Voila! Suitable mount.

Normally it has to be one size category bigger. That's why I asked.

KillianHawkeye
2011-04-01, 06:02 PM
According to Eberron Campaign Setting (p. 27), Warforged weigh between 270 and 318 pounds. Since adamantine weapons & armor don't weigh any more than standard weapons & armor, how did you come up with a weight of 1000-1500 pounds?? :smallconfused:

Jarian
2011-04-01, 06:04 PM

Not unless his strength score is sufficient to do so, no.

Major
2011-04-01, 06:06 PM
I quoted you in Skype.

According to Eberron Campaign Setting (p. 27), Warforged weigh between 270 and 318 pounds. Since adamantine weapons & armor don't weigh any more than standard weapons & armor, how did you come up with a weight of 1000-1500 pounds??

Him: Because I did the math for how much a solid object of steel weighs when the size of a person.
Me: but they aren't solid steel...
Him: The warforged they use don't have the adamantine body incorporated, and thus are made of considerably more wood than metal. I calculated it with 2/3 of his volume being darkwood,and 1/3 being adamantine
Me: And that makes him over 1000lbs? I think you are crazy.
Him: No he weighs 810lbs with conservative values.

So he changed it, but its still pretty heavy...

LOTRfan
2011-04-01, 06:08 PM
But there is a specific weight given to warforged with the adamantine body feat in one of the books...

EDIT: The weight for the warforged is as following:

Composite Plating: 290 pounds.
Adamantine: 320 pounds.
Darkwood/Mithral: 180 pounds.
Unarmored: 225 pounds.
Source (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20050627a)

KillianHawkeye
2011-04-01, 06:09 PM
At the MOST, I'd say he can't weigh more than a normal warforged plus the weight of an adamantine full plate. That tops out at 318 + 50 = 368 pounds. It's adamantine PLATING, remember. It definitely does not change his internal makeup.

Major
2011-04-01, 06:14 PM
Alright I pointed him at the source and such.

Anyways, so anyway to let a changeling use the warforged as a mount? Since normally a medium creature requires a large mount?

Worira
2011-04-01, 09:57 PM
But there is a specific weight given to warforged with the adamantine body feat in one of the books...

EDIT: The weight for the warforged is as following:

Composite Plating: 290 pounds.
Adamantine: 320 pounds.
Darkwood/Mithral: 180 pounds.
Unarmored: 225 pounds.
Source (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20050627a)

Plus a certain amount based on height, 6 lbs. per inch for an adamantine-plated warforged.

Salanmander
2011-04-01, 11:07 PM

If it helps, you can think of it as being that, in order to carry an object weighing 1000 lbs you need to be strong enough to lift 1000 lbs plus yourself.

Alternately, getting yourself off the floor is a much different motion than picking up another object.

But regardless, unless you want to houserule it, you should go by the written weight limits for how much he can lift other than himself, and say that he can always move himself normally if he has a strength of at least one.

ffone
2011-04-02, 03:58 AM
Strength is generally assumed to be a surplus to what it takes to move your own body. Hence why strength 1 characters can move even if they weigh 200 lbs.

This. Exactly this.

This is also why really big creatures are able to move around (carrying capacity is 2x per +5 Str, and weights go up by roughly 8x per size category, but Str goes up by about 4-8 for monster advancement size increases).

Note also Enlarge Person increases your weight by 8x but your Str by only 2.

KillianHawkeye
2011-04-02, 04:24 AM
So based on LOTRfan's numbers, an adamantine-plated Warforged can weigh anywhere between 332 and 392 pounds.

Tell your friend his calculations were WAY OFF.

person29
2011-04-02, 06:33 AM
I can pick myself off the ground if I'm prone but I doubt I would be able to lift 180lbs

standing up from prone is totally different than lifting objects

Tetsubo 57
2011-04-02, 06:57 AM
According to Eberron Campaign Setting (p. 27), Warforged weigh between 270 and 318 pounds. Since adamantine weapons & armor don't weigh any more than standard weapons & armor, how did you come up with a weight of 1000-1500 pounds?? :smallconfused:

That was going to be my question. Plating doesn't mean solid metal.