PDA

View Full Version : The Eternal War, Ended (IC)

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-01, 08:26 PM
War. Centuries and centuries of war, millenia on end, spent fighting, killing dying. No one ever expected the war to end, no one expected the legions that set out to ever return, to die fighting in the waste, the dust, the death, the Gulf of Ruin (a massive desert filled with the bones and rust of a countless number of battles fought, of men killed, of creatures perished.) The devastation that was visited upon the land was great, eventually, the Gulf of Ruin spreading as each side, shifting from place to place, nation to nation, cut away more and more of the one continent that they had.

Then, one day, the war suddenly ended. Armies put down their arms, dropped weapons as they stood, and marched home, leaving behind all the trappings of war, all the panoply of arms. As they marched home across the Gulf, a sentiment stirred that generations had not felt, that had not been culled from the sentient heart in centuries, the war always overhanging, the war always intervening. These men, elves, dwarves, goblins, elan, a thousand different races, began to feel jubilation, began to feel happy.

Now was a time, where no longer were sons set off to die on some forgotten, dirty place across the continent. No longer were all crops sent to the fighting, children, women, the old, left to starve and try to scrap up a living in the dirt and dust of a serf's existence. Parties were set off across the whole continent, massive, citywide affairs, no people sparing anything for the jubilation, all given into the happiness that existed now, for the first time in a long time.

You all find yourselves at one such party, a massive on taking up the entire square of the city Keldor, capital of the nation Garetkian, a huge, old nation, covered in mountains, forest and tundra. One way or another, you all find yourselves in the massive square, tables laid out, food prepared, men, women, children celebrating, massive banners hung across buildings, wine freely flowing.

What do you do?

THEChanger
2011-04-01, 08:54 PM
Aodhan laughed as a nearby fiddler launched into a festive tune. Spying a comely woman, Aodhan took her hand and began to dance. While he was not especially skilled at that art, the recent turn of events had made him forget all that. The War was over! Finally, the War was over! Aodhan could not remember when the War had started. No one could, it had been fought for so long. And now, Aodhan couldn't even remember who had been fighting whom! Joy surged through him, and his gave his dancing partner a good kiss as the song ended. Speeding off to the nearest tavern, Aodhan burst through the door, and gave a shout. "Well now, my merry countrymen, a round for everyone, on me! The War is over, let us drink until we can no longer see straight!"
As the patrons of the tavern let out a cheer, Aodhan sat himself down, accepting the mug of ale from the bartender, and placing a Platinum Piece upon the counter. Aodhan sat back, thinking. Now that the War was over, things ought to quiet down in general. Sure, there would be the odd evil mage or monster, and Conchúr was still out there somewhere, but he would have much more free time on his hands now. Aodhan briefly wondered what he would do with himself. Huh. Perhaps I should settle down. Get myself a castle, or something. Perhaps swear alligence to a king somewhere or other. Briefly, ideas flashed through his head. A grand castle, with silver adornaments all over. A training ground, of holy warriors. And in the center, a great statue, of the true Silver Hand, Heironeous. Aodhan had a small chuckle. A statue of Heironeous indeed. The celebratory atmosphere was getting to him.

PersonMan
2011-04-02, 04:38 AM
Cherek watched the festivities with narrowed eyes, sure that something wasn't right. Armies didn't just stop fighting a war that had been going on for so long-there must have been some kind of outside interference. Otherwise the returning armies would have been followed by the amassed forces of the enemy, come to end the war in a different way.

The war troll shifted, his massive wings twitching and stretching slightly. If anything, this would cause large-scale changes in the economies of both sides. Suddenly there was something else to use metal for, besides for arms and armor. The influx of suddenly jobless young men would have additional effects, as well.

Additionally, there was the problem of all of that equipment, left in the Gulf. Either it would all just rust away, which would be a massive waste, or something would get its hands on enough weapons and armor to equip huge numbers of soldiers...either way, it bothered Cherek immensely.

Having never really been one for festivities, Cherek had stayed near the edge of the party, lost in thought. Although he got quite a few stares and glances-a 12 foot tall, heavily armored and armed, winged war troll with a tail that flitted to and fro was...certainly an odd sight.

Cherek glanced up at the small magical stone orbiting his head, something he often did while in thought. Certainly an odd time we will be going through. I'm not sure if there is anything that could make two armies just stop fighting, but whatever it is...it's certainly powerful. He said, his voice surprisingly smooth. Instead of a rough, deep voice that many seemed to expect from him, Cherek's voice was smooth-probably a result of his abberant heritage, he considered, glancing down at a dog which had escaped its owned. The dog ran by the war troll, then seemed to shudder, bark once and scramble in another direction. It was odd, mused Cherek, how animals seemed to be able to sense his unnatural blood.

Cherek wasn't quite sure what to do-he had never attended a celebration before, even in his long life. It was difficult to remember what had come before the last decade, which he had spent in almost constant combat in the Gulf. Due to his regenerative abilities, the war troll had been nearly impossible to kill. Sometimes he would get separated from his allies, but even that wasn't much trouble-he could simply eat the bodies of the fallen for sustenance until someone found him. It had been an interesting time, Cherek thought. Unlike humans, he felt a primal joy when in combat, and a surge of delight rushed through him whenever he felled another enemy.

Now that the war was over, Cherek wasn't sure what he would do. War trolls could live for incredibly long times, but he had never heard of one that died of old age. Their regenerative abilities seemed to keep their bodies from slowly declining over the years, but it also seemed to cause old memories to fog up-it became difficult to use all of the experience they gained, so they didn't gain the additional insight humans would get when they grew old.

Eventually, the war troll took three places at one of the tables, carefully taking portions of several foods, eating them thoughtfully. It was nice, to have a change from humanoid meat. While it did have a fairly good flavor, the charm really wore off after a few days. Humans were rather good at preparing food, Cherek thought as he cut another slice of meat for himself, relishing the chance to use cutlery again-it was nice to keep his hands clean while eating. At first his presence seemed to quiet those nearby, but after a short time they were back to telling stories and joking, the nearly tangible happiness overcoming the quiet that seemed to always be following the giant.

dethkruzer
2011-04-02, 10:14 AM
How long had it been since she had actually eaten something? She couldn't tell. It had been years since Anastasia had so much as actually bitten down on anything, her "innate" psionic powers constantly nourishing her body. But now the war was over, and for the first time in so many years, she almost felt human again.

When she had arrived at the party, she had changed the appearance of her vest into a beatiful evening gown, the many knives hidden within the clothing.

She chattered and conversed with the other people around her, an entire leg of a chicken in one hand and a pitcher of wine in the other. However, even the food and alcohol got her bored rather quick, and soon she was out to find someone to dance with, clearly intoxicated.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-03, 12:33 PM
The party dies down after about four days. Somehow, each of you ends up in a tavern, called the Grim Hedgehog, a well-kept and spacey place. The jubilation is still tangible, though is subsiding. A bard plays a mandolin on the small stage, his face happy and bright, his tune quick and merry. However, the bar dies down, as a man walks in, huge, muscled, and tattooed. His features are angry.

Re'ozul
2011-04-03, 01:07 PM
In a shadow-filled corner besides the stage lies a small white cat.
No movement can be glimpsed, no sign of life easily attributed to its rolled up form. If one were to look closer it would be apparent that it is not in fact a cat at all, for where there should be fur, only bone can be found. But unlike the abominations often roaming the lairs of necromancers, it is not in the form of a skeleton, its outer boundaries exactly that of an average cat with Paws and Eyes and a bushy tail. Only on touch does the truth show itself for it is all one. One color, one substance, one continous being.

As the man walks in the cat looks up, its unifomly white eyes not fixing themselves on anything. The movement results in soft yet audible cracks and groans that surround its body as the compacted bones shift to their new direction, rubbing and shuddering along another.

The being that calls itself Bonehoarder had only ever known war and its preparation. First against the one that made it, then to help those that fell in the one started by their own nations. Raising those that fell, to perpetuate their struggle. It was its way of helping and honoring the deeds of those that had fought valiantly. It did not care for motives or ideologies, nor did it consider itself as taking sides. It gave more opportunities to those on both sides, but its actions were never recieved well.

When tasked with fighting along their friends once more, many were destroyed as abominations when they tried to do so, other went headlong into combat, and were destroyed instantly.

Bonehoarder strived to give them more of a chance, increasing their abilities, their speed and their hardiness, but in the end, it was all futile. Acceptance never came and its own capabilities too limited to help all that it believed needed it.

It retreated into obscurity, only roaming the killing fields when wolves and ravens had arrived, questioning the deseased on their motives, hopes and dreams. The concept of a willing death, one filled with hope for something after eluded it for a long time. It was a product of the after, a twisted mangled version of what might be in store for the ones that easily gave up their lives. Yet when confronted with this, they seldomly wavered in their convictions.

And so it stayed there during the war. The one on the sidelines. The one who would come when others had gone. And when they went away one last time and no more question could be answered, no more knowledge gleaned, it followed them in the hopes to learn from the living, what the dead could not provide.

PersonMan
2011-04-03, 01:38 PM
Cherek's eyes turn to the man and he raises a single eyebrow at him. What's gotten under your skin? He asks, turning to face the man, a half-finished drink in one massive hand. Cherek's tone is casual, as if he either doesn't realize the man is angry or doesn't care. While the man's frame might be intimidating to some, Cherek didn't like to judge by such things-appearances could be very deceiving, after all. His own build seemed to be of a hulking giant, but in reality Cherek was far more dexterous than even nimble humans.

For all Cherek knew, this man could be some sort of athletic mage-at this thought an unconscious impulse runs across his body, feeling at the barrier around him that was the war troll's natural protection against magic.

dethkruzer
2011-04-03, 04:00 PM
The Female sat by a barstool, her apathic gaze staring of into the distance, seemingly lost in thought. A man, seemingly not special in any way, turned his head to look at who had arrived. The shadow cast by the two hid away the thin tendrill that emerged from underneath the females clothing, and merged with the leg off the the man.

"Wonder what's up his behind." The man muttered to another person sitting next to him

OOC: Manifesting true form, used it to remove all aberrant effects and added a puppet capable of talking.

THEChanger
2011-04-03, 04:01 PM
"Indeed friend! The War is over! All people should be rejoicing!" Aohdan, too, was not intimidated by the man's large form. He had faced down worse, if it came to a fight. But the man had probably simply been told by some fair lady that she did not wish to dance with him. Such a thing could put a man into a state of depression, no matter the times. What this man needed was a good stiff drink. "Come, sit by me. I will buy you a drink. Anything you like. And YOU!" Aohdan whipped around towards the bard. "Do you cease playing for every person that enters this tavern? If so, I might have to find myself another establishment." Chuckling at his own wit, Aohdan mimes a mandolin in his own hands. "Come, my good man, continue! The celebration still goes on."

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-05, 05:12 PM
The bard cautiously continues playing, but only gets a few notes in before the mandolin cracks in half. The angry man, his tattoos glowing, looked around the room. "Do any of you idiots realize what this means? This war ending? Do you?"

nerd-7i+42e
2011-04-05, 05:49 PM
Yixal sat in the tavern. Having left his isolated monastery when he was around twenty, he had seen the war with an outsider's perspective, seen its true ridiculousness. Since learning about this war (and what a war is) shortly after leaving his monastery and realizing that there was no right on wrong, only persistence and death, he had tried to end the war as quickly as possible, by helping whichever side was in the best position. Now that the war had ended, Yixal had been contemplating returning to the monastery, if only for a visit; it had been years, and he could not wait to share with his friends and family the secret of the outside world. But still, something kept him procrastinating.

"Why don't you tell us? You seem to be very opinionated on this," suggests Yixal, standing up and getting a firm grasp on his staff.

THEChanger
2011-04-05, 06:34 PM
Aohdan stood up, and turned around very slowly, taking a good look at this newcomer. Hearing another one of the bar patrons speak up, he nodded. "Indeed. One would think that an end to the suffering and pain would be a good thing. Unlike, for example, breaking people's mandolins. I liked that mandolin." Aohdan was clearly in no mood to listen to the ravings of a lunatic. At the same time, he was not one to force conflict if it was avoidable. Calming himself down, Aohdan opened his arms in a gesture of non-agression. "So tell us, brother. What evil does the end of the war herald? Because I will be more than glad to go and squash it myself."

dethkruzer
2011-04-05, 06:35 PM
I first try to determine if the cracking of the Mandolin was a psionic power.

Psicraft: [roll0]

If the effect is a psioniceffect, then Anastasia personally gets up and turns a stern gaze at the man. Otherwise she continues following through her puppet.

Regradless of what happens, Anastasia will attempt to gain a psionic focus.

Concentration: [roll1]

PersonMan
2011-04-06, 08:54 AM
Cherek rolls his eyes, finishing his drink. Then he turns more towards the man, his head on one of his hands. The war troll doesn't say anything, but he does begin to gather energy in one of his hands. If the man does anything overtly hostile, Cherek will hit him with a blast of eldritch energy.

Re'ozul
2011-04-06, 04:55 PM
Bonehoarder

The cat "blinks" at the unprovoked destruction of the musical instrument, the movement sending a near silent yet sharp crack through its immediate vicinity.

It then rolls back into itself, resuming its fake sleep.

Yet Bonehoarder knows how volatile the living can be and considers the possibility of needing to vanish.

Bonehoarder readies his Greater Invisibility Invocation.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-08, 04:53 PM
The man snarled at Aodhan, and the mandolin worked itself back together. "Think about it. Everyone spontaneously drops their arms and heads home? What do you think that means? What has the power to do such things? And now what? What of men like me, and yourself, men who needed the war, whose skills lay solely in the killing of other creatures? What do we do now?"

PersonMan
2011-04-08, 04:59 PM
The man snarled at Aodhan, and the mandolin worked itself back together. "Think about it. Everyone spontaneously drops their arms and heads home? What do you think that means? What has the power to do such things? And now what? What of men like me, and yourself, men who needed the war, whose skills lay solely in the killing of other creatures? What do we do now?"

Cherek sighs. You barge in here calling us fools, but don't even have concrete information? It's obvious that this was didn't end naturally, but unless you know something we don't...well, then you're just being noisy.

As for us...well, we'll go find other things to kill, I guess. The war troll shrugs stretching a bit.

Re'ozul
2011-04-08, 05:06 PM
"... who needed the war, whose skills lay solely in the killing of other creatures? What do we do now?"

'What was this? It ... felt like something. A feeling? I am after all capable of something else but fear and anger? I have felt this way before.
I remember, it was after the escape, when I was a lowly rat. I had none to rely on and was weak. Pehaps ... it was not fear at all that I felt then? But what is it then, this emptiness? His words are meant for those other than me and yet I feel something in return ... how interesting.'

The cat roles around amidst a sea of soft cracks like burning wood and fixes its eyes on the one that harbors such strong emotions.

All intents of disappearing at a moments notice abandoned, the entity watches on hoping for more that would elicit such reactions in itself.

THEChanger
2011-04-08, 06:40 PM
Aohdan gave a small grimace, and motioned for the large man to sit beside him. "You are correct, brother. The end of the War is strange. And we, the left-over warriors, those who live for strength, have a new challenge ahead of us. But, we have overcome many such challenges. This new world should be met with gusto, not with anger and fear. Besides, though the War is over, there are still battles to be fought, demons to slay, and evil to best. They will just not be as obvious now." Aodhan gazed out a near-by window, scanning the horizon. Somewhere out there, his brother still plotted and schemed. "Indeed. Many trials still waiting to be faced. But come! I can not keep calling you brother. What is your name, stranger?"

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-08, 07:20 PM
The man looks at Aohdan for a moment, then comes and sits down. "I am called Kelrith. And yours?"

Oh, and I forgot to mention, that was indeed a psionic power.

THEChanger
2011-04-09, 11:38 AM
"Kelrith. A fine name. I am Aohdan the Silver-Hand. We both have fought much, I think. And the times ahead will be hard. But, I think right now, you could use a good drink. Please, on me. I've already bought everyone else in here at least five drinks. And maybe you can explain more about how evil the end of the War is." This last bit is said with a smile as Aohdan calls over to the bard. "I think Kelrith here has called down. You can start playing again."

dethkruzer
2011-04-09, 02:18 PM
Anastasia had taken an interest in this man, and now that he had calmed down, it seemed conflict could be avoided. She no longer cared about keeping up the charade with her puppet, letting it fall limp against the table.

The female turned around on her barstool, turning her eyes, still lightly glowing from her inner psionic spark, at the large male.

"I'll agree with you that the way the war ended was odd, but I refuse to understand why you see that as a bad thing. The war had brought nothing but pain and suffering to everyone, so by all means, do explain what you mean?" She then spoke, lazily leaning against the puppet lying limp on the table.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-11, 07:52 PM
"Consider this. The average birth-rate from during the war was almost ten children, and due to the fact that our medical magic has become so advanced, to treat soldiers, nine out of those ten survived to adulthood, but many of those children died in the war. Or, perhaps the fact that our entire economy is based around the war, and the switch to the peacetime economy will not be easy.

And, the point still stands- the force that has the power to do this is a force to be reckoned with. It's worth trying to find out who it is."

dethkruzer
2011-04-12, 03:53 AM
"So what you're getting at is that someone should try to find out why the war stopped? While that is an interesting idea, it seems rather futile unless you happen to have some idea on where one could start." Anastasia pointed out. Her sanity might not be completely intact, but at the very least she was still capable of thinking in a logical fashion.

"Now as for the economy, now that all the children born, and reach adulthood, no longer need to be trained as soldiers, leaving them open to other professions. Hell, even if the economy needed to be kicked back into gear, we have a kingdoms treasury worth in metal back at the Gulf, so I really don't see a problem." She continued explaining, still leaning against the catatonic puppet like it was some kind of gross cushion.

nerd-7i+42e
2011-04-12, 05:56 AM
"And furthermore, let us consider, for argument's sake, that we have found the one responsible for this new peace. What then? Are we going to force it to undo its actions? Return war? The transition may be bumpy, but it is certainly better than war."

PersonMan
2011-04-12, 08:35 AM
Cherek nods, interested in the conversation but, at the moment, having nothing to add to it. This was certainly an interesting development.

THEChanger
2011-04-12, 04:17 PM
"Though, perhaps what has happened is not that someone or something has forced a return to peace, but rather, that peace was the original state, and someone or something forced the War to occur." Aohdan was inclined to believe the best of people, and did not think that it would take some secret society, mageling, or rogue divinity to send warriors weary of war back to their homes. Merely a release of such power. "And, if that is the case, whatever caused the War should not go unpunished. If, of course, there is some sinister force behind this, as you seem to believe, Kelrith. And it would indeed be a good idea to find such a power, if we had somewhere to start looking."

Re'ozul
2011-04-12, 05:10 PM
The cat, not being able to hear the conversation through the other noises, slinks towards the group and sits down besides them.

Looking up at what appears to be the humanoid form of one of the animals it once had to kill and integrate into itself in order to survive its earliest exposures to the wild it starts pawing the ground and swishing its tail from side to side in an attempt to emulate the behaviour of the ones it borrowed this form from when they wanted to be picked up.

Looking at Yixal. Also it emits an aura of death and decay somewhat. But considering that everyone is accustomed to death (I think) it shouldn't be a problem. But people can tell that it basically radiates a bit of death, not that it isn't somewhat obvious with being entirely white and made of bone material.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-12, 07:41 PM
Kelrith sighed. "I do, in fact, have a lead, but that is best no spoken of here, where prying eyes and ears reside." He smiled at the bone-cat. "I think you know what I'm talking about." After this, he waved down a flagon of ale and took a deep drink. "We have neither the land nor the resources to manage the population boom that will occur. Magic would be one way, but how many battlemages do you know that know anything more than combat magic? And, if the intentions of these 'saviors' was truly just to be good, why haven't they revealed themselves? They are obviously powerful enough to stop the war, there is no reason that they couldn't defend themselves."

nerd-7i+42e
2011-04-13, 03:45 PM
"Yes, and why did they only end the war now? The more I think about it, the less innocent it seems. Perhaps it is worth investigating." He stares at the cat. "And would you care to take on a humanoid form and join us?" (OOC: Constant True Seeing.)

dethkruzer
2011-04-14, 01:32 PM
Her eyes shifted from the large amn, to the badger... Thing, and back. "I never thought of it like that before, perhaps it could be something to look into."

She then leaned forward, accidentaly pulling the limp puppet of the table, onto the floor, but seemingly paid no attention to it. "But tell us Kelrith, were some of us to get away from eyes that watch, and ears that listen, would you be willing to tell, what is this lead you have?" She questioned.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-15, 06:42 PM
Kelrith nodded. "I would be willing to do so, if there existed such a place."

dethkruzer
2011-04-16, 12:39 PM
"I do actually know such a place, it may not be magic-proof, and the quality could be considered somewhat... questionable, but I think it should be enough for our current needs." She replied, before getting up and taking her puppet in one hand. She began pulling it, like a child might pull a doll along the ground. Disturbingly enough, the deceivingly realistic puppet began rapidly merging with her.

"I'll be waiting in my room upstairs." She then spoke to those participating in the conversation, before going to her room.

I suppress my true form.

Re'ozul
2011-04-16, 03:17 PM
Intrigued by what appears to be a different form of shapeshifter, the cat follows the strange figure to the stairs. Looking back at the others it tries to imitate a meow.

The sound rattles forth from its mouth, an unholy combination of sharp cracks and pops overlayed with a screeching perversion of the original.

Looking at the rest of the group as innocently as possible the cat then bounds up the stairs, its movements accompanied by the snaps of rapidly moving, twisting and breaking bones.

nerd-7i+42e
2011-04-16, 04:17 PM
Yixal waits for the cat to be beyond his sight, then he too walks upstairs. Moving as silently as he can, he grabs the cat by the scruff of the neck. "Mind explaining why you've been eavesdropping on us as a cat?"

Move Silently check: [roll0]

Touch attack: [roll1]

Grapple check: [roll2]

Re'ozul
2011-04-16, 04:35 PM
The cat looks the anthropomorphic badger.
As it opens its mouth a deep and booming voice comes forth, shattering any illusion this form might be the beings true one for anyone. The assumed form's body starts rattling in Yixal's hand as it resonates with the words that usher forth from it.

"I find that forms of this size and type are most easily accepted by humans and other humanoid creatures. Larger forms tend to result in less fully formed versions of their base due to unsufficient quantities material."

nerd-7i+42e
2011-04-16, 04:53 PM
"My emphasis is not on your chosen form so much as your actual eavesdropping."

OoC: Although don't you still need to make listen and grapple checks?

Re'ozul
2011-04-16, 05:07 PM
"Interesting, you still consider my listening to be done in secret even though my presence was clearly and even vocally noted by everyone in question? But then why would you wait to ask this question until having moved away from the group? Would an open accusation not be far more efficient and logical from both a interpersonal as well as tactical point of view?
To answer your question; I was interested in the reconciliation process between differing ideas that were apperant when the tattoed humanoid entered the bar. Such modification of behaviour through vocal means is interesting to me as i hope to learn how to allow ... potential others to do the same and to analyse how such attempts in the past have tended to lead to diametrically opposed outcomes. The apparent diversity of your emerging group lent itself greatly to this end as it enabled me to observe reactions to a situation unspoiled by potential racial or vocational bias."

After finishing its long and completely emotionless held explanation, the cat once more looks at Yixal without any obvious positive or negative reaction to being held up in this manner.

I have emphazised the cracks and pops for a reason. Because its basically made of a miriad of bones it is never in actual quiet and so any attempts to really listen to things is hampered graetly. So much in fact that after the first attempt it never bothered to train the ability [read: no points in listen at all resulting in a total -1 modifier even now.
As to grapple, it just doesn't care right now.

nerd-7i+42e
2011-04-16, 05:36 PM
"Firstly: I consider it eavesdropping because you were attempting to deceive us with your form. Granted, I don't think you really fooled anyone, being made from bones and whatnot, but that is beside the point. Because of your disguise, you gained some access to our opinions and knowledge of a rather important matter without our being privy to yours. That is, by definition, eavesdropping.

"Secondly: If you'll recall, I did address you, but you ignored me. Nothing we were saying at that point was really sensitive to eavesdropping, so I let the matter drop. It was only when you went upstairs, suggesting that you would listen to a much more important conversation, that I thought an intervention was necessary.

"And to address your last point: So you did not care anything for the actual subject matter of our discussion? That strikes me as highly coincidental."

Re'ozul
2011-04-16, 06:52 PM
"Ah, I believe that it would therefore be my duty to apologize I believe. I did not express my opinion due to the fact that it might influence your interaction making the gathered data less accurate.
I also did not truly put your suggestion to any thought as it was formed in a way I have come across seldomly until now. I am more versed in the imperative and direct forms of speech.
Furthermore are my transformations accompnaied by sounds and images that many might consider disconcerting if my observations of such situations are correct. I therefore found it more in line with what i have come to understand are codes of conduct that apply while in social situations to move to a less crowded positions before doing so.
I also did not say that the topic of your discussion is of no interest to me. In fact it was a fortunate coincidence as the end of the altercation was the reason for my appearance among places such as this due to significantly reduced possibilities for more usual forms of gathering knowledge."

nerd-7i+42e
2011-04-16, 08:12 PM
"I am disinclined to believe in coincidence. Consider this: How many bone creatures such as yourself exist? How many are interested in diplomacy? Even among those, not all of them will go about learning by hanging around bars. And the one bar Kelrith walks in just happens to be one of the few bars that one such creature is in. Not only is it a weak excuse, but what if whatever stopped the war is watching Kelrith? Your actions happen to be in line with a spy doing just such a thing. You'll have to forgive me for being cynical, but I'm not sure how much I can trust you."

Re'ozul
2011-04-16, 08:34 PM
"Your argument is not logically sound.
You pose an argument as to the quantity of beings such as myself while apparently already having come to a conclusion that is unfavourably to an argument that you presume I could bring against it.
You further speculate as to the motivations of these beings. Your wording does not denote wether you find my interest in mortal proceedings to be abnormal to the imaginary average of my hypothetical kind. However, you automatically presume once more that this interest denotes an ulterior motive that is detrimental to your own goals.
Your comment on the one named Kelrith walking into this bar is further following no consistent logical path. You either presume that every bar must have one of my kind and therefore my interest in the matters of mortals is a front in order to act as a spy or that Kelrith was guided to this bar somehow. However, in the latter case would this not make him an accomplice in whatever scheme your mind has created to project onto me? The first case would also undermine your earlier hypothesis as it would denote a great multitude of beings like me which would undermine your argument of my presence being a strangely coincidental experience, for if there were such multituds, would our presence not be a normal occurance and therefore in no way suspicious? Would this scenario not be a much better way of building a spy network?
Of course you could argue that this argument alone makes it more likely that my lone occurence is an indication of me being such a spy, but you would simply fall into a recursive loop of potential scenarios.
I also find your mention of trust somewhat peculiar. Can you trust everyone else that is in your group? What measure of trust can you invest in someone? What are your guidelines to measure trust? As i do not know these things in relation to you, i cannot put a worth on trust. Since I have not met you before I cannot predict your actions to any degree, therefore i cannot trust you as well. To me your trust is as worthless as mine is to you for we both do not know each other's value system or goals and therefore cannot define common grounds for a predictive system which would enable such a thing as trust."

nerd-7i+42e
2011-04-16, 09:57 PM
"I am simply saying that beings such as yourself are not common — I for one have encountered none but yourself. And furthermore, while I cannot speak specifically of your race — or whatever exactly you would call it — I have had my fair deal of exposure to undead, and most certainly are not interested in diplomacy. If your race is an exception, then my apologies. But I suspect that most of you do not place such a priority. That means that there are very few bone creatures who would have an interest in hanging around bars and eavesdropping on people's conversations, and therefore the chance that you'd be in the very same bar that Kelrith entered is quite small. This does not necessarily imply an ulterior motive, but it would be no small coincidence, which, as I said, I don't trust.

You are right in that I cannot trust everyone. However, I am merely noting that your actions are comparatively suspicious. No, I cannot place any definitive measure of trust on anyone I met tonight because, like you said, I only met them tonight. For all I know, everyone in this tavern could be conspiring my death by some overly and needlessly complex plot. But absolute cynicism gets me nowhere. So I find outliers and determine whether or not I ought to worry about them. This is what I'm doing now."

PersonMan
2011-04-17, 04:50 AM
Cherek comes up behind the badger-man, putting a hand on his shoulder. Firstly, I'd advise you two to discuss trust and the like elsewhere; you're in the way. Secondly, The war troll begins, his rat-like tail curling around one leg, if you don't trust the bone-cat, do you think that anything it could say would convince you that is should be trusted? It doesn't make any sense to talk to it like this if you've already made up your mind.

You mentioned that it would be highly unlikely for such a creature to be here-I think that the same could apply to you. I've certainly never seen anything like you before, at least not things that walked on two legs and spoke. I could argue that you are a spy for this force and are accusing another of being so to turn suspicion onto something, allowing yourself to work your way into the trust of the group. Cherek explains, making occasional hand or arm movements to punctuate his points. So, if you'd be so kind as to move... The aberration-blooded giant waits, expecting the badger to move to the side.

nerd-7i+42e
2011-04-17, 10:57 AM
Yixal considers this. "That... is actually a very good point." Yixal lets go of the cat. "You have my apologies." He steps aside so that Cherek can pass.

Re'ozul
2011-04-17, 11:27 AM
As the cat lands on the ground it looks up at Yixal.
"Apology accepted, yet unnesessary."

As the last word leaves its mouth it begins to stretch and twist.
Bubbling outwards to an extent that should not be possible considering its former size, the blob of small bones arranges itself into the skeleton of a mdium humanoid amidst a cacophony of snaps, crcks and groans.
Once the skeleton stands, fake organs and muscles made from the same bone-mass are created, filling out the form until finally an ivory mantle covers everything in an approximation of skin.
The finished form is that of a gaunt human, a clothed one at that.

It turns back to Yixal.
"Would you consider this form to be more appropriate?"

It basically now looks like this (http://content.turbine.com/sites/lorebook.lotro.com/images/uploaded/3/36/Gaunt-lords.jpg) only with fake white eyes and a less silly crown.

THEChanger
2011-04-17, 03:27 PM
Aohdan stood behind the troll, watching the accusations and transformation with a very puzzled look on his face. The woman who had a man attached to her had already disturbed him somewhat, and now there was a bone cat, who had shifted their form into a bone human. Couple that with an badger that walked on it's back legs, and a troll, and this was shaping up to be a strange band indeed. "Well, alright then. Let's go meet the lady in her rooms, so we can get this lead, and stop scaring tavern patrons."

PersonMan
2011-04-18, 03:40 AM
Cherek, his path now clear, heads up the stairs to the woman's room. The man was right-this certainly was an odd band. Still, there were stranger things to be than a talking humanoid badger or bone-thing. These people had nothing on the Half-Farspawn Jello Warriors...

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-18, 05:49 PM
Kelrith follows the rest into the room, looking back behind himself. Once there, he looks around at the room, and then at the odd woman. "Well? What now?"

dethkruzer
2011-04-19, 11:41 AM
While Anastasia had been waiting, she had been concentrating on manipulating her true guise. Once the ragtag group had assembled in her room, she gave everyone a single glance, and nodded. A glossy black tantacle, almost as thick as her waist extended from her back, lip-like protusions were barely discernable from it's unnaturally graceful form.

The tentacle shuddered briefly, before opening up at the tip, stretching far beyond what seemed logical. The entryway finally reached full size, large enough to even accomodate the troll. from within, a room of simple stone was visible.

"Here you should be hidden from unnecesarry eyes and ears" She spoke, trying to act natural.

After suppresing my true nature, I remove the puppet and instead add the following features:
Tentacle, with the following Augments: Large tentacle x2, Blunt tentacle.
Mouth, with the following Augments: Large mouth, placed on the tip of the tentacle.
Secondary stomach, with the following Augments:Large stomach, Formed Stomach, Duplicitous Appearance, Entryway

I also add a puppet inside the "room", made in my own image.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-19, 03:22 PM
Kelrith simply raises an eyebrow, and then sighs. "Well, I suppose I've gone to worse places during the war."

nerd-7i+42e
2011-04-19, 05:10 PM
Yixal walks uncomplainingly into this new "room." "Well, this is... interesting."

PersonMan
2011-04-19, 05:38 PM
Cherek raises both eyebrows, appreciating the size of the door before stepping in, glancing around. Interesting place. Now, you wanted to tell us about your lead... The war troll waits until the last of the group enters the room before speaking, turning towards the human.

Re'ozul
2011-04-19, 06:05 PM
"Indeed it is."

Looking around the Entryway, the bone-white figure adresses the "owner" of these new accomodations:

"I trust you will not attempt to absorb us in any way?"

THEChanger
2011-04-19, 06:29 PM
Aohdan gazed in wonderment. He had seen a great deal of strange things, mundane and magical, during his stint in the War. This was unlikely anything he had ever seen before, and Aohdan was not sure he felt comfortable walking into what appear to be the...lady's stomach. "So much for not scaring tavern patrons. Well, I suppose I need to find out about this threat." Aohdan stepped forward through the portal with evident squemishness.

dethkruzer
2011-04-20, 01:31 PM
She waited patiently as they walked in through the portal, it felt really weird, but at least there were some good sides to having an extradimensional pocket for a stomach. Within the "room, she allowed her puppet, an exact replica of herself, to emerge from the wall, before mostly closing up the mouth that was the portal into the stomach, although she left it open enough to allow for a constant flow of fresh.

"Sorry if it's a little dull, but this is an extradimensional pocket, I doubt anyone would try scrying on us here. And don't worry, I have no intentions of eating any of you, at least if you behave yourself." She spoke to the group, trying to keep a neutral face.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-21, 08:55 PM
Kelrith shook his head. "I've seen some odd things during the war, but this is by far the oddest...." After looking around for a moment, he sighed. "Alright. When I was fighting near in the south, near the Ghost Sea, my company, what few of us there were, was ordered to take a fortification, a redoubt, guarded by what amounted to peasant conscripts, and we took it, quite easily.

During the searching of the place, the cleanup, we found a secret passage, leading underground, and it was something of a lucky find. We thought we would find some sort of passage to a secret vault or some such thing. Both sides were using them at that point in the war, and it would not have been uncommon. So, when we went down, we found that it went down hundreds and hundreds of feet, and for some reason, we couldn't teleport or phase at all down there.

There was some.... some strange stuff down there. Don't take me wrong, I'm not powderpuff, I fought in some of the worst parts of the war, but.... that place was wrong. Just, just plain wrong." He paused and breathed deeply, as if he didn't want to continue the story. "Most of the place was empty, which doesn't surprise me, as the place was massive. Miles wide and long, and probably deep too, but we didn't want to check that. The further we got in, the worse it became, walls crumbling before our eyes and shifting, morphing places, more than a few corridors that I could swear were made of flesh, horrible, horrible places. The second level was worse- one corrider was just a tank of blood, standing there, free floating, nothing holding it up, not even force walls. One of them was just arms, sticking up out of every surface, that grasped at you as you went by. One floor was just entirely covered in eyes, and everyone in the company swore that each set of eyes looked directly at them the entire time.

We lost more than a few men down there...." He paused for a moment, then looked around. "Any questions, or should I just keep going?"

Re'ozul
2011-04-23, 12:55 PM
"Your tale is quite interesting. Did any of the chambers have the same motif? It does sound somewhat as if it was either a production facility for flesh golems or perhaps an attempt to recreate a rudimentary body in form of a habitat with different rooms representing different parts of the body. Some of your story indicates semi-intelligence even.
I am very much intrigued as to the location of this place. It could prove to be an enlightening experience if it is possible to recreate or use such semi-intelligence in other variations of constructs and creations.
Please do go on."

dethkruzer
2011-04-28, 12:17 PM
"Indeed, an interesting tale, but even if we knew there was something that caused the war to stop, and that something could be potentially dangerous, I see no connection between this unknown force, and this place you describe. I have to agree that place is probably just outright wrong, and probably the creation of something sick and twisted, but hell, am I any different?" She replied, the tone of her voice making it rather clear she wasn't atually expecting an answer to her latter question.

THEChanger
2011-04-28, 04:44 PM
"Patience, my lady. Our good friend here has not yet completed his tale." Aohdan nodded towards Kelrith. "Please, if you suspect that this place bears some connection to the end of the war, continue. However, if you simply are regaling us with tales of strange and dark towers, I think we should be done here."

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-29, 08:05 PM
Kelrith sighs. "Alright, I'll skip straight to the juicy part then, if you're so anxious." A cup materialized in his hands,a watery red liquid in the inside. He drunk deeply from it, then it disappeared. "In the bowels of this place, beyond screaming machines made of metal wires and tubes, beyond a portal into the void, through places no man can or should have gone, we came across a balcony looking into a large cavern. There was some sort of meeting going on in the cavern. The place echoed like a bitch, we could hear their every word. They spoke of something called The Quieting, though it was never specified what it was.

A lot of what they talked about was some sort of debate as to whether or not they had achieved enough of what they called 'Ether-iz-ack', or something, for their plans. After a few minutes, we had been found out. I'm not quite sure how, none of them even looked at us until one of them, a small human girl in a pink dress, sucking on her thumb, looked at us, and quietly got down from her chair." He shuddered for a moment, his face paling. "Let me take a moment before continuing."

PersonMan
2011-04-30, 04:25 AM
Cherek raises his eyebrows at the mention of the girl. He waits for the man to continue, wondering what a small child had to do with this shadowy group. This was certainly turning out to be an interesting tale.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-05-03, 08:47 PM
"The carnage was horrific to say the least. That little girl was so powerful, so destructive. Most of my squad were wiped out in the first wave, and the rest were hunted down as we sprinted back down the tunnels. I think she let me go, otherwise... otherwise I wouldn't have survived."

nerd-7i+42e
2011-05-04, 06:16 AM
"That's... interesting. I suppose you never returned to that dungeon?"

Re'ozul
2011-05-04, 09:51 AM
"His current existence would imply he did not. I am intrigued however how a small child could create such destruction as you described, unless it was an assumed form. Furthermore, the unnamed ones calling their project "The Quieting" indeed makes it more probable that it has influence on the end of the war as an undertaking by beings with members of such power as the small girl would no doubt be grand in scale as well."

dethkruzer
2011-05-04, 12:47 PM
"A most unusual storyy you have. This "The Quieting" sounds something that we probably could be conserned of. But about this girl you speak off, what kind was this destructive might you describe? Magic? Psionic? Or did she just tear thngs appart with her bare hands?"

PersonMan
2011-05-04, 01:23 PM
Cherek frowns. Do you think that he knows? It isn't like he had time to study her or anything, as he was presumably running for his life-besides, there are all sorts of sources of power-beings outside of reality, power stolen from the gods, magic we are used to, psionics, a type of quasi-magical fighting...it could be that this girl uses some sort of obscure magic that none of us have ever heard of or seen. He mentions, shrugging. I do think, however, that 'the Quieting' could refer to silencing warfare. There are too many options to consider yet, though, since it could be many things-we'll need to find more information. The war troll adds.

THEChanger
2011-05-04, 08:58 PM
"Aye. We should begin by investigating the history of this tower, I think. It seems that perhaps our commanders had forgotten the purpose of this fortification." Aohdan racked his brain, trying to remember if he had been anywhere that would have information on this mysterious tower. He came up blank.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-05-09, 10:55 AM
Kelrith looks around. "I believe I can still find the place."

dethkruzer
2011-05-12, 01:02 PM
It was Anastasia's turn to frown, in this case at the troll. "I was merely hoping that Kelrith here could have had any useful information on a potentially deadly enemy, like knowing is half the battle or something like that." She replied, not really caring to explain her exact point, but she believed she got her point across.

"But it would be worth investigating. You seem to know the way, Kelrith, but are you willing to show us this path?"

Halna LeGavilk
2011-05-13, 10:53 AM
Kelrith's shoulder's sag as he sighs. "I... can. I'm not sure if I could walk through the halls again, but I could get you to the last spot I knew it."

THEChanger
2011-05-13, 01:51 PM
Aohdan nodded to their new guide. "That should be sufficient. I think that the...talents displayed by the current company will be enough to conduct some reconissance into this tower's depths. And in all likelyhood, remove the threat posed by the girl and her friends." Aohdan gaze each of the assembled persons a good, long look. A look not of judgement exactly, but more of weighing, of calculating risks and benefits. "That is, of course, if the rest of you have no objections. I will be continuing in any case."

Re'ozul
2011-05-14, 09:38 AM
"I am interested in the place, but not necessarily your goals. A return to old state would once more provide me with more classic communication partners, but might not be in the best interest of everyone present. For now a takeover of whatever the mentioned unidentified group created would be the better solution as control over it could yield insight in further applications.
If you decide to got this place I will accompany you."

Halna LeGavilk
2011-05-17, 08:13 PM
"Whenever you're ready, so am I."

PersonMan
2011-05-18, 12:05 AM
Cherek nodded. "So, does anyone have preparations to make, or will we simply be starting our journey immediately?" He asked, looking at the others. He was ready to go, but it might be that the others had preparations to make.

dethkruzer
2011-05-18, 03:27 PM
"I assume the journey will take more than one day and one night, if so then I will need no preparations, all I require is the time to rejuvenate my mind." Anastasia spoke while absent-mindedly flicking a short lock of lifeless hair in her fingers.

"So in case we are done here, then would you please?" She spoke, leaving the end of the sentence open, while opening up the mouth that worked as the entrance into her stomach.

Re'ozul
2011-05-18, 03:51 PM
"I need not even time for such. Though I admit the workings of this "sleep" or "meditation" both elude and fascinate me. Once you are ready I will be as well."

nerd-7i+42e
2011-05-20, 08:45 AM
Yixal shrugs. "I need not prepare anything."

THEChanger
2011-05-20, 08:43 PM
Aohdan nodded. "Then let us proceed. We have much work to do."

PersonMan
2011-05-21, 02:39 AM
Cherek nods, leaving to exit the room-stomach. He was looking forward to this-it had been a while since he had done anything really exciting, as most of the battles of the war were filled with soldiers too weak to challenge him. It would be nice to have a good fight, as well as to work in a team.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-05-21, 10:40 PM
Kelrith stands up and cracks his neck. "Well, I'll see the rest of you tomorrow morning in the common room then?"

dethkruzer
2011-06-06, 03:36 PM
"In that case I will kindly ask you to exit, Your presence in me is makin me nervous.

PersonMan
2011-06-07, 12:06 AM
Cherek nods, moving to exit the quasi-room that they had been speaking in. He couldn't really think of anything to do until tomorrow, but he didn't want to just sit around doing nothing. There was still the festival going on, which could provide some entertainment, at least.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-07-05, 12:42 AM
Kelrith flourishes his hand, and a hat forms in it, tall and plumed. He looks around at the rest of you and nods. "Well, ladies, gentlemen. Tomorrow it is then." He walks out of the room and you can hear him go down the stairs.

Re'ozul
2011-07-05, 02:44 AM
Looking after Kelrith, The Bone-entity leaves the "room" and nods at cherek then adresses the rest of the present beings.

"As the decision to follow our guide to the place he described seems to be unanimous, I believe it would be prudent to familiarize ourselves with each other's respective capabilities?"

PersonMan
2011-07-06, 08:02 AM
I, Cherek says, have abilities that are primarily martial in nature, although I am capable of limited stealth. I am resistant to every kind of attack I have encountered so far, from simple physical strikes to magic to environmental effects. While speaking, he stretches his wings slightly. I possess limited flight, the ability to breathe water and swim as well as most water-dwelling creatures. I also have some inherent magical abilities, although they aren't very well-developed. The war troll explains.

THEChanger
2011-07-06, 10:14 PM
"I am an Avenger and a Protector. My speed is unmatched by any human I have met, and the power of Light flows through my blood. Oh, and I can do this." Aohdan called his power into his silver hand, and a great two-handed blade burst into being with a brilliant display of light. "The Reaver. My own personal weapon. Forged from blood and pain. It has served me well." The blade disappeared back into the sliver palm.

dethkruzer
2011-07-07, 06:57 AM
"Impressive indeed. I am probably not quiet as powerful in direct combat as you." She spoke in a complementing tone, before pulling out two daggers, one of steel with a dirty rose colored stone set in it's handle, the other of a deep blue, glowing an inner light. "But I'm not totally helpless." Anastasia finished her previous sentence.

She then let the tentacle on her back retract, before her forehead, along with the rest of her skinny form, began bulging like something was trying to burst it's way out. With a gush of blood, the skin cracked and fell off, revealing the form of a slender elf. "I am capable of taking on, or replicating, the form of most beings in creation." She explained, before her one form burst out from the elf. "Combined with this clothing that can shift form at will, I can make more than a decent spy, or fighter, hell, even a beast of burden. My versatility is my strength."

Halna LeGavilk
2011-07-12, 12:58 AM
(Well, time to DM Fiat this along)

As the others go off to bed, after having shown their respective abilities, Anastasia decides to head off to find a potion-seller. Though most outside are still reveling, you manage to find one seller who appears to not be totally drunk. He rubs his eyes for a moment at your request. "Whatchu... whatchu want hea*hic*healing po..potions for?" he said as he wipes his mouth with the back of his sleeve, which is also very dirty. "Alright, alright... that'll be, um... 300 platinums, I should think. They're going for a pretty penny. People say they'll cure one hell of a hangover!" He bursts out laughing as he puts them on the counter.

dethkruzer
2011-07-13, 03:15 PM
Hearing a price so high for a few meager potions cause vher eyes to slam open wide. The thought of hiring a cleric went through her mind. But gaining some control, she forced upon herself the most neutral expression she could. "I assume you are joking..." She began speaking, only for her expression to become a very frustrated frown. "Because I'm not laughing."

Halna LeGavilk
2011-07-13, 03:27 PM
The man chuckles. "I don't think you can*hic*get a better price anywhere else, madam." He says, slurring his words. "Reveling comes with*hic*a lot of accidents, and I'm sherious ***...about this curing hangovers."

dethkruzer
2011-07-15, 04:38 PM
She locked a stern stare on the man, but seeing as this was going nowhere, at least with what time she was willing to sacrifice with bargaining, she decided to just give up. "Fine, keep your stupid potion." Anastasia shouted at the salesman, before storming off.

"300 platinum my ass... If I had coin like that I could simply hire a cleric to tag along." She muttered in an irritated tone as she made her way back to the inn.