PDA

View Full Version : What would a Wizards Bonus Spells per day be if his Int Modifier was 34?

Sims
2011-04-02, 10:31 AM
Yes, the MODIFIER is 34, not the score. But I can't find the formula to work it out.

For those of you about to "trip", this is what happens when you can create Manuals of Intelligence, and an Epic Spell that lets you read them fast.

Kinda like drug abuse.

Volthawk
2011-04-02, 10:37 AM
Except Tome bonuses don't stack with each other, all being inherent.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-04-02, 10:42 AM
Except Tome bonuses don't stack with each other, all being inherent.

I though the bonus of the tomes stacked with themselves, up to a maximum of +5? (They being priced that a +5 tome cost the same as five +1 tomes)

Techsmart
2011-04-02, 10:45 AM
I see being ninjad in my future
should be
1st:9
2nd:9
3rd:8
4th:8
5th:8
6th:8
7th:7
8th:7
9th:7
The pattern to remember this is pretty simple, it is just batches of four
+17 5 5 4 4 4 4 3 3 3
+18 5 5 5 4 4 4 4 3 3 (just took +17, shifted all to right 1, added a 5)
+19 5 5 5 5 4 4 4 4 3
+20 6 5 5 5 5 4 4 4 4 (I hit four 5's in a row, so now I move to the highest number)
continue this onto +34

Someone correct me if any of this is wrong

Yora
2011-04-02, 10:48 AM
However, the formula is very simple:

Start with the spell level of the same number as the modifier. In this hypothetical case, 34. This spell level gets +1 bonus slot as do the three levels below it. The next four lower levels get +2 spells, the next 4 lower get +3, and so on.
So for an intelligence score of 78, you would get:
+9 spells per day for spell level 1 and 2.
+8 spells per day for spell level 3 to 6.
+7 spells per day for spell level 7 to 9.
If you have 10th level slots, you also get +7 additional ones. If you don't have any 10th level slots, you also don't get the bonus slots.
+6 spells per day to 11th to 14th level slots.
+5 spells per day to 15th to 18th level slots.
And so on.

Fax Celestis
Someone correct me if any of this is wrong

Nope, that's right.

Douglas
Yeah, stacking the Manuals doesn't work. Each one gives another inherent bonus, and stacking rules kick in saying only the highest bonus of that type applies. Can't get more than +5 total with those.

Anyway, if you somehow did get a +34 intelligence modifier legitimately, your highest level bonus slot would be level 34. You would not actually get to use that slot unless you had a base level 34 slot somehow, which would usually require taking Improved Spell Capacity 25 times, but that's the top bonus slot your int could give you. Every four levels down from that, the number of bonus slots increases. 2 level 30 slots, 3 level 26, 4 level 22, 5 level 18, 6 level 14, and 7 level 10. So, getting into the range of spell levels you'd have naturally, that's 7 9th level slots, 7 8th level slots, 7 7th level slots, 8 6th level slots, 8 5th level slots, 8 4th level slots, 8 3rd level slots, 9 2nd level slots, and 9 1st level slots. Plus the base slots, of course.

Forged Fury
2011-04-02, 10:51 AM
It's odd that Inherent isn't listed as a modifier type. Do stacking rules even apply? I'm just asking from a RAW perspective, I wouldn't allow more than a +5 bonus to any single ability from reading manuals.

Edit: Actually, now that I'm really reading it. The stacking rules don't even seem to apply for things like bonuses to Ability Scores, at least with respect to what's in the SRD.

Modifiers
A modifier is any bonus or penalty applying to a die roll. A positive modifier is a bonus, and a negative modifier is a penalty.
So, a bonus to an ability score isn't really a modifier, since it isn't modifying a die roll (at least not directly).

Stacking
In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack if they come from different sources and have different types, but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source.
The stacking rules seem to only apply to D&D defined modifiers, which, as previously stated, only effect die rolls.

What am I missing here? I've always accepted the stacking rules an their applicability to ability scores, but now that I'm rereading the rules, they seem to not apply.

Edit Part 2: I see the issue with the Tomes may have been answered under the Wish rules, but I'm still trying to figure out Bull's Strength since it isn't directly affecting a die roll, but rather the underlying ability score that modifies the die roll.

Edit Part 3: I guess it's Specific over General, since the Enhancement Modifier type actually calls out Ability Score boosts, even though they aren't die rolls. Seems like it would have been easier to just add Ability Scores as another class of things to which a modifier can apply.

Yora
2011-04-02, 10:56 AM
Tomes and manuals are basically just single charge items with a specific use of the wish spell. So I'd say the same limitations apply.

Grant a creature a +1 inherent bonus to an ability score. Two to five wish spells cast in immediate succession can grant a creature a +2 to +5 inherent bonus to an ability score (two wishes for a +2 inherent bonus, three for a +3 inherent bonus, and so on). Inherent bonuses are instantaneous, so they cannot be dispelled. Note: An inherent bonus may not exceed +5 for a single ability score, and inherent bonuses to a particular ability score do not stack, so only the best one applies.
However it was mentioned that the character can read books in a single round, so they seem to have already took care of this.

Sacrieur
2011-04-02, 11:12 AM
Information about inherent bonuses can be found under the Wish spell.

ericgrau
2011-04-02, 11:24 AM
Bonus Spells = (Ability Score Modifier +
{table]Spell Level|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9
|+3|+2|+1|+0|-1|-2|-3|-4|-5[/table]
) / 4, rounded down.

So 9 9 8 8 8 8 7 7 7. If you can cast 10th+ level spells the pattern continues: 7 6 6 6 6 5 5 5 5 4 4 4 4 3 3 3 3 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 1.

Ya you can't get more than +5 from tome(s) no matter how many you get.

Jack_Simth
2011-04-02, 11:26 AM
Yes, the MODIFIER is 34, not the score. But I can't find the formula to work it out.
It's a simple pattern.
One bonus level 34 spell, one bonus level 33 spell, one bonus level 32 spell, and one bonus level 31 spell.
Two bonus level 30 spells, two bonus level 29 spells, two bonus level 28 spells, and two bonus level 27 spells.
Three bonus level 26 spells, three bonus level 25 spells, three bonus level 24 spells, and three bonus level 23 spells.

And so on.

flabort
2011-04-02, 07:57 PM
Just what build do you have that would let you have just such a high INT? :smalleek:
Tomes shouldn't be able to pump it up that high, unless the DM house-rules that they do, but have a time limit, or forgot that they don't.
So how did you get the remaining 29 modifier (since the max tome is +5)? :smalleek:
And what can possibly fill a 34th level spell slot?! :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek:

Jack_Simth
2011-04-02, 08:05 PM
Just what build do you have that would let you have just such a high INT? :smalleek:
Tomes shouldn't be able to pump it up that high, unless the DM house-rules that they do, but have a time limit, or forgot that they don't.
So how did you get the remaining 29 modifier (since the max tome is +5)? :smalleek:
And what can possibly fill a 34th level spell slot?! :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek:
A 9th level spell, metamagic'd up the wazoo.

NNescio
2011-04-02, 08:21 PM

Heightened image spell(with Improved Heighten). My spells are four times more real than the real thing!

Sims
2011-04-02, 10:05 PM

This is what happens when you "didn't know" that the max bonus from a Tome was +5 XD.

We though it just added 5 everytime you read one. Using the broken Genesis spell, it was easy to break the games economy. (Making an Astral Diamond filled plane) And my DM is not a "Yes" man.

We just neglected to fully read out this stuff. Not to much harm done, I just won't be able to next campaign. That an I think my Int score surpasses the Gods haha.

The Shadowmind
2011-04-03, 12:02 AM
You can get a int higher than 34 even without misreading the rules(but still abusing them):

Start with; Irrelevant.
When you can cast/afford it, Double POA into a white Ethergaunt, Int 27, add the +5 Int from leveling, +5 from the Tome, and +6 for an enchantment item, for a total of 43, pre-Epic.

NNescio
2011-04-03, 12:05 AM
You can get a int higher than 34 even without misreading the rules(but still abusing them):

Start with; Irrelevant.
When you can cast/afford it, Double POA into a white Ethergaunt, Int 27, add the +5 Int from leveling, +5 from the Tome, and +6 for an enchantment item, for a total of 43, pre-Epic.

Int modfier.

tyckspoon
2011-04-03, 12:25 AM

Correct use of Epic spells will get you there without a lot of trouble, especially if you POA into a high-Int base form first.

Ravens_cry
2011-04-03, 12:30 AM
Depending on how you read the rules, you might be able to get +34, or more, with enough Reincarnation cycles.

Innis Cabal
2011-04-03, 12:39 AM
Tomes and manuals are basically just single charge items with a specific use of the wish spell. So I'd say the same limitations apply.

However it was mentioned that the character can read books in a single round, so they seem to have already took care of this.

That may be the case but

An inherent bonus may not exceed +5 for a single ability score

Has something to say on the whole affair. You can't get more then a +5 no matter what to one ability score.

Tael
2011-04-03, 05:51 PM
Don't be put down by all these people saying that Tomes can't increase your Int by more than 5! You're an epic level caster, you should easily be able an Int of more than 78 with proper use of DC mitigation!

Ashram
2011-04-03, 06:28 PM
A Int score of 78-79 would yield you these additional spells per day:

1st: 9
2nd: 9
3rd: 8
4th: 8
5th: 8
6th: 8
7th: 7
8th: 7
9th: 7

Thank you, Pathfinder Fillable Character Sheet. >_>

The Glyphstone
2011-04-03, 06:53 PM
While you're at it, take Improved Spell Capacity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedSpellCapacity)with your Epic feats, since your Int modifier will give you bonus slots for them.

Sims
2011-04-03, 07:15 PM
While you're at it, take Improved Spell Capacity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedSpellCapacity)with your Epic feats, since your Int modifier will give you bonus slots for them.

Currently I've only got that feat 4 times. I wish there were a feat that would let you cast two spells at once, but maybe thats kinda what Quicken Spell and Multispell are for.

NNescio
2011-04-03, 07:17 PM
Currently I've only got that feat 4 times. I wish there were a feat that would let you cast two spells at once, but maybe thats kinda what Quicken Spell and Multispell are for.

Shapechange -> Choker

Quickness (Su)

Although not particularly dexterous, a choker is supernaturally quick. It can take an extra standard action or move action during its turn each round.

sreservoir
2011-04-03, 07:53 PM

Start with; Irrelevant.

just use permanencied mind of another (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030106a) into a black ethergaunt. definitely a less contentious reading than double PAO, because the permanency effect is spelled out right in the text. plus you get to keep your own body.

NNescio
2011-04-03, 08:03 PM
just use mind of another (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030106a).

Mind of a beast transforms the mentality of the subject into that of an animal or beast. The spell suppresses the target's own personality, mental awareness, and memories, and it puts in their place the average mental abilities and knowledge of a creature of type animal or beast whose Intelligence is 2 or lower. ...

...It gains the skills of an average creature of its type (modified by the target's physical abilities rather than the animal's), and it cannot use the skills of the original mentality. The spell does not grant any supernatural, spell-like, or extraordinary abilities of the creature type, and though the target retains its extraordinary abilities, it does not know how to use them if the animal or beast type does not also possess them. The target can use any feats of the original mentality that the creature mentality also possesses. The supernatural and spell-like abilities of the target's original mentality are not available to the animal consciousness, nor are any of the target's memories. ...

An improved version of the mind of a beast spell, mind of another transforms the subject's mentality into that of an aberration, animal, beast, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or vermin, and there is no maximum Intelligence limit. ...

...Otherwise, the spell works exactly the same as the mind of a beast spell.

It's pretty much a "Turn my PC into an NPC" spell. And Black Ethergaunts are Neutral Evil.

Alleran
2011-04-03, 08:13 PM
Being NE isn't all that bad. Tell another party member (preferably a spellcaster) what you're going to do and what's going to happen, and then have them mindrape you back into a good alignment afterwards. Or stick a Helm of Opposite Alignment on your head. Or use the BoED "turn an evil creature good" skill usage. Or Sanctify the Wicked (in a time-sped-up plane). Or any one of what are probably many variants, including just playing as NE and roleplaying your character as slowly seeing the light and turning back to his old alignment.

sreservoir
2011-04-03, 08:27 PM
or use a thought bottle for its supposed fluffy purpose.

and really, with the mental ability changing PAO does, do you think that that wouldn't turn your PC into an NPC?

NNescio
2011-04-03, 08:50 PM
or use a thought bottle for its supposed fluffy purpose.

and really, with the mental ability changing PAO does, do you think that that wouldn't turn your PC into an NPC?

You don't lose your memories though. Or your skills ('though the replacements are nifty). Or most of your feats. And most of your spells. (or all of them, depending on how Spellcasting is defined.)

Mind of Another explicitly mentions that the target's own personality, mental awareness, and memories are suppressed for the duration of the spell.

Thought bottles can only store, at most, 8 separate thoughts/memories. Hardly enough to recover your former personality. Recovering the thoughts of another person is also somewhat sketchy. (otherwise, you can use somebody's else thought bottle to gain XP).