PDA

View Full Version : Almost foolproof invisibility

Radar
2011-04-02, 10:56 AM
I just had a strange idea: Shadowcraft Mage's ability to mimic Conjuration and Evocation spells still counts as Illusion, so anyone with True Seeing won't see effects of those spells. The spell of interest here will be True Creation.
True Creation is sadly available only from a certain domain, but if we take Luck domain (from domain Wizard for example), we can mimic it by mimicing Miracle. We can then easily build traps or a whole dungeon from magically produced materials.

Things get silly, if you add regular Invisibility on those shadowy creations (through Invisible Spell metamagic for example). In such a situation everything will be invisible both with and without True Seeing. After adding Magic Aura it won't be visible via Detect Magic or Arcane Sight either. The only spell, that can see all those creation is See Invisibility and I can't see any way of fixing that right now.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments?

Sacrieur
2011-04-02, 11:08 AM
I just had a strange idea: Shadowcraft Mage's ability to mimic Conjuration and Evocation spells still counts as Illusion, so anyone with True Seeing won't see effects of those spells. The spell of interest here will be True Creation.
True Creation is sadly available only from a certain domain, but if we take Luck domain (from domain Wizard for example), we can mimic it by mimicing Miracle. We can then easily build traps or a whole dungeon from magically produced materials.

Things get silly, if you add regular Invisibility on those shadowy creations (through Invisible Spell metamagic for example). In such a situation everything will be invisible both with and without True Seeing. After adding Magic Aura it won't be visible via Detect Magic or Arcane Sight either. The only spell, that can see all those creation is See Invisibility and I can't see any way of fixing that right now.

True Seeing sees through illusions - all of them.

If it is really that big of a deal then just use mundane traps and disguises. Or invisible fog type deal.

Radar
2011-04-02, 11:55 AM
True Seeing sees through illusions - all of them.
That's the point of using mimiced True Creation. The point of adding plain Invisibility is to make it invisible for people not using True Seeing (or for those using it, but being too far away).

If it is really that big of a deal then just use mundane traps and disguises. Or invisible fog type deal.
That would work, but it takes away some of the fun of "Aaahhh! I'm being sliced by things that by all means aren't there!"

tyckspoon
2011-04-02, 12:08 PM

I'm pretty sure you're wrong that a True Seeing creature won't see your Shadow illusions at all. Shadow effects, and particularly those from a Shadowcraft mage, do have some real parts to them; True Seeing should stil see those elements of the items you create.

Murphy80
2011-04-02, 12:17 PM
True Seeing can see illusions, they just aren't fooled by them.

Sacrieur
2011-04-02, 12:27 PM
That's the point of using mimiced True Creation. The point of adding plain Invisibility is to make it invisible for people not using True Seeing (or for those using it, but being too far away).

Here's the thing. Making things with True Creation is just like making mundane objects. So if you were to make a trap with True Creation, it would just be a mundane trap. If you cast invisibility on something, someone using True Seeing can see it.

The problem with Shadowcraft Mage is that these mundane creations become illusions and thus susceptible to True Seeing.

That would work, but it takes away some of the fun of "Aaahhh! I'm being sliced by things that by all means aren't there!"

Invisible fog is perhaps the best defense against True Seeing, since it allows you to do your illusions without them trying to look through them.

Radar
2011-04-02, 12:47 PM
The problem with Shadowcraft Mage is that these mundane creations become illusions and thus susceptible to True Seeing.
Which is exactly, what I was aiming for under a possibly wrong assumption (as tyckspoon and Murphy80 mentioned). Seeing through an illusion doesn't dispell it or anything like that. People using True Seeing would still take damage on a successful saving throw.

Invisible Obscuring Mist is an obvious solution for all regular detection spells. The main problem with it is:
a) it warns your enemies, that something is wrong,
b) is easily disposed off unless you use magical fog machines for it (a viable option for a dungeon)

Sacrieur
2011-04-02, 01:09 PM
Which is exactly, what I was aiming for under a possibly wrong assumption (as tyckspoon and Murphy80 mentioned). Seeing through an illusion doesn't dispell it or anything like that. People using True Seeing would still take damage on a successful saving throw.

Invisible Obscuring Mist is an obvious solution for all regular detection spells. The main problem with it is:
a) it warns your enemies, that something is wrong,
b) is easily disposed off unless you use magical fog machines for it (a viable option for a dungeon)

Any intelligent spellcaster (so like, every wizard ever) would put invisible fog in a dungeon that has magical traps. I'll make another thread to see how strongly we can rig up invisible fog.

faceroll
2011-04-02, 05:22 PM
If I see through someone's disguise, does that mean I can't see their disguise?

"HAHA MOM, you don't have a giant nose, thick glasses, and bushy eyebrows! What a silly disguise!
OH GOD WHERE DID YOUR FACE GO"

supermonkeyjoe
2011-04-04, 05:17 AM
So since true seeing allows you to see the true form of polymorphed creatures, what does a wizard see if he looks at a colossal dragon who has alter self'ed into a medium human walking down a 5' wide corridor?

Andion Isurand
2011-04-04, 06:32 AM
A Cloak of Khyber spell (Dragon 337) can allow a polymorph effect to defeat True Seeing as long as the same shape has been assumed for at least 6 hours.

Infernalbargain
2011-04-04, 04:08 PM
Still defeated by mundane things such living in Russia.

cfalcon
2011-04-04, 05:53 PM
Living in Russia puts the kibosh on a lot of spells!

Yukitsu
2011-04-04, 05:59 PM
I prefer the shadow weave feats. Less arguments about the physiological mechanics of sight, and why several views on what "seeing" means are an equivocation of the term.