PDA

View Full Version : On the Nightside

Bruendor_Cavescout
2011-04-02, 08:32 PM
New York City. A city of roughly eight million people. By day, most of them wind their way through the streets, going about their daily lives - up in the morning, go to work, come back, head to bed, and repeat. For most of them, it's safe. The capes make things interesting, but by and large, a body could go for months without running into one.

By night, though, the Big Apple takes on a different character. Once the sun dips below the horizon, a savagery takes over that is barely constrained by the NYPD. Once the sun goes down, gangs fight for territory, killing each other over the right to sell their drugs and their women on the darkened corners. Once the sun goes down, the shadows are filled with the worst that humanity has to offer, and morality takes a back seat to a quick buck. Once the sun goes down, men become monsters.

But there are a few who refuse to allow the streets to remain untamed, a few who struggle against the never-ending tide of criminals. Those few are some of New York's heroes, doing their part to beat back the shadows for one night longer. Most of the time, they work alone.

Tonight, they start working together.

smasher0404
2011-04-03, 12:22 AM
Ok I have to select my arrows so I'm spoiling them
3 smoke arrows
2 teargas arrows
1 flare arrow
5 bolas arrows
3 explosives arrows
2 nets arrows
and 2 sonic arrows

Also, I survey the surrounding area, seeing if there is any commotion from on the streets as I turn my hearing aid on.

industrious
2011-04-03, 12:44 AM
Matthew Murdock

"...By unanimous decision, we the jury find the defendant, Fredrick Lafontaine, not guilty on the charge of murder."

The reporters swarmed the exit of city hall, alternately clamoring for a statement and praising Lafontaine's defense team. Microphones were thrust into his attorney's face, but the man continued to walk ahead as if he hadn't seen them, forcing those carrying them to retract their devices.

After all, he hadn't. The attorney in question was blind; his eyes hidden by a pair of ruby quartz sunglasses. His white cane felt along the edges of the stairs of the courthouse, ensuring that he got to his car safely.

Once he was past the stairs, though, Matt Murdock turns to face the crowd, and finally speak into the microphones.

"First off, I'd like to apologize for ignoring all of you previously; I'd rather not fall down the stairs. And then have to sue all of you."

Nervous laughter. Murdock usually didn't banter with the press, but he was in a good mood today.

"This was a simple, open and shut case. Once the ballistic evidence had been properly examined, it was easy for the jury to understand that my client simply couldn't have pulled the trigger. Justice was served today. Thank you."

And then Murdock is off, back into the brownstone were both the law offices of Nelson and Murdock and his personal living quarters were housed.

The sun was beginning to set, and Foggy Nelson was just heading out of the office, purple bow tie undone.

"Matt! It's single's night at this bar downtown...I could use a wingman..."

He smiles, and shakes his head.

"Sorry, Foggy. Patrolling tonight. Rain check?"

"One day, you'll realize that using your powers to help me find a girl isn't wrong. Some of us aren't nearly as good with the ladies."

"Have fun, Foggy."

And Foggy's off, whistling Be Prepared as he goes.

Upstairs, Matt undoes is tie, tossing it casually to the floor. The blind lawyer then enters his walk-in closet, and a decidedly different figure emerges. Gone was the sharp suit and sunglasses; gone the blind man's cane and loafers. They were replaced by dark red leather and a mask with red reflective eyes and two short, stubby horns. They were replaced by combat boots and a pair of billy clubs strapped to Matt Murdock's thigh. Gone was Matt Murdock, attorney at law. And in his place, Daredevil emerged.

The masked vigilante pauses for a moment, cracks his neck, and sprints towards the open window, heading out into the night.

jerichodrumm
2011-04-03, 02:18 AM
At the Plaza Hotel on 5th avenue a figure quickly suited up in form-fitting Kevlar. Draped over the chair nearby was a tailored tuxedo. Before donning the helmet he took a look in the mirror. Over his shoulder sleeping was his latest conquest; by her claims an Italian Contessa. If true she would have no problem affording the Suite they just enjoyed. While he regretted not being able to stay and enjoy a made-to-order breakfast Paladin had a meet & greet with a prospective client. The terms of the clandestine meeting were as mysterious as they were intriguing. The money they gave him up front didn't hurt either. But none of that would matter if he was late! Finally gearing up he headed for the balcony and gave one last longing look to the slumbering Contessa. "Ciao Bella." he said and disappeared into the night.

OOC: Since Paladin at his core is a good natured mercenary I figure either you can involve his potential client to get him into the plot or maybe something happens on the way.

Four Horsebears
2011-04-03, 06:52 PM
Outlaw

The bar had gone under many different names over the past thirty years, and been acquired by many different owners- never anyone who thought themselves capable of more than breaking even over it, just your average lowlife winning the deed in a wager or a fight. There were two schools of thought regarding what its current name was- half the patrons thought it was "Final Heaven," and the other half thought it was "Perdition." Inez Temple preferred the latter.

This was usually a good place to find work, even before Hellhouse went belly-up; New York had a more active scene than Chicago most of the time, so there was a higher quantity of quick-'n'-dirty local stuff to choose from, even though there was more chance of things going south if the wrong interlopers showed up.

The mutant received a few stares when she walked in- there probably wasn't another female in a country mile, and none as good-looking as she was- but she wasn't worried about that. The people in here recognized her, her outfit, the firearms she carried. And, heck, if somebody was hellbent on bothering her, she'd just break every bone in their body.

Fenway had started to show up here lately- one of the transplants from Hellhouse. That place would probably be up and running again as soon as somebody took responsibility for it, but in the interim he was hanging around in New York. Inez took a seat next to him at the bar.

"Been a while since ah seen you. You lookin' to find work too?"

The merc shrugged. "Not one of my best seasons. Game's been rough since the line-up changed. Been an influx of rookie talent."

"So there's nothin' worth taking yet?"

"Wait around. The umpire is officiating alone."

Inez frowned. She hadn't even made back the money it took to get from Fort Worth to New York City yet. If she didn't find some work soon...

Sighing, Outlaw waved over the guy standing behind the bar. "Gimme a beer, then." There wasn't a better place to solicit merc work right now; she'd stay here a couple hours and try to get the jump on any nascent contracts offered. Tomorrow night, she'd visit a different part of town.

Maxios
2011-04-03, 09:05 PM
Spider-Man
The 'ol Webhead is webswinging around. So far, he's encountered little crimes. It's quiet for the city... he thinks. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Bruendor_Cavescout
2011-04-04, 11:29 PM
Hawkeye

You take stock of your arrows, making certain you've brought the equipment you think you might need. Your recent fallout with Steve has made the Mansion awkward, so you've taken to doing some nightly patrols to clear your head and get some distance from the situation. At the moment, you've headed towards the Metropolitan Museum of Art - what few street contacts you have that still talk to you indicated there was a break-in there last evening. None of them were certain what happened there, but one of them did say that the curator was looking for less-than-official alternatives to recover whatever had been taken.

And so, here you are, staking out the Museum. So far, it's been quiet. Nobody's returned to the scene of the crime, and the lights have been dimmed ever since the place closed several hours ago. The only highlight so far is that shortly after midnight, a security guard opened up a back door to the Met and stepped outside to light a cigarette.

Matthew Murdock

As you change into the clothes for your other calling, you pause. You hear the door to the brownstone open, and someone begin to rush up the stairs. You recognize the racing heartbeat and the winded puffing of Foggy a full minute before he opens the door to your offices.

"Oh, Matt, I forgot to tell you - a Maximilian Pride from the Met called while you were in court. He said he had some problem and needed to talk to the 'Devil about it. I told him that contrary to what he might read in the Enquirer or the Bugle, you didn't spend your evenings racing across rooftops and capturing criminals. He explained again that he really needed to talk to Daredevil, and for some reason, he didn't sound convinced by my explanation. I can't imagine why." Foggy said this last part much quieter, but both of you knew you heard what he had said. When he resumes, there's a very concerned tone in his voice. "Listen, Matt - I know you've had a rough couple of months. You could use a night off. I'll be at O'Doud's on 17th tonight - heh, knowing my luck, striking out. If you swing by, I, uh, I'll buy you a beer and, you know, listen. To anything you might have to say." His piece said, Foggy closes the door to the law offices, and leaves you be.

Paladin

Leaving the Contessa, if that's really her title, was no easy feat, but a deal's a deal. In this case, a fixer had called you on your work phone, saying that a prospective job had opened up, and for once, it might be on the up-and-up. Some property had gone missing at the Met, and the curator, a Mr. Price, was willing to shell out some serious cash to get it back. In good faith, Mr. Price had wired $2,500 to your account just to show up, with a promise of making much more than that once the job was finished. The fixer was more trustworthy than some you'd met - which meant it'd take a larger amount of money to get him to betray you - and the money checked out.

Outlaw

The beer wasn't great, but at least it was cold. Fenway was right - the atmosphere in here was dead. Clearly, the economy was tanking so bad, even the mercs were feeling the pinch. At some point, one of the mercs tried out some of his best lines on you. When they didn't work, he laid a hand on your shoulder.

After the ruckus, Fenway slid another beer your way. "Look, kiddo. I'll toss ya a floater, since you're new in town. There's a talent scout in the metro area, goes by the name of Price. From what I hear, someone was stealing more than bases at the Met's. It's not major league work, but it ain't T-ball neither."

Spider-Man

It has been quiet. Sure, there was the guy holding up the convenience store, and the man stealing another guy's wallet at knifepoint, but in general, pretty quiet. No explosions, no armored car assaults, no bank robberies - nobody robs banks anymore, why's that? - and the patrol's going by fast. At this rate, you might be able to make it back to your apartment in an hour or so and curl up next to MJ for a change. It'd be good for the both of you, your patrols and such have really cut into the time you can spend on your marriage. As you're thinking that, you see movement below you - your spider-sense isn't going off, so it's nothing dangerous. You see Daredevil racing across the rooftops, swinging by his billy club lines.

industrious
2011-04-05, 12:08 AM
Daredevil

"Foggy..."

Murdock grins under his mask. Sure it had been a couple of hectic months. Sure his secret identity was coming under fire. But he and Foggy were still looking out for each other, and still doing what they did best. Karen's death still haunted him, but he was moving on from it. Life had been better, but as far as he was concerned, the worst was behind him; far behind him.

So he was dancing on the edge, at bit. Taking a few extra risks here and there. Nothing wrong with that. He already was wearing a costume, anyway.

And besides. If he went, then he'd end up stealing someone Foggy might have gotten. And he really didn't want that. He had enough exes and Foggy didn't have enough. Or something.

There wasn't anyone waiting outside the office, so Daredevil flings himself out onto the street. The Met awaited.

Emongnome777
2011-04-05, 07:01 AM
Marc Spector - Moon Knight

Justice

It was a word that has floated in Marc's mind a great deal recently. He has established himself quite well under his millionaire persona, Steven Grant. There was a certain tug to simply be absorbed into that lifestyle. His investments using his mercenary money (lucre, some would call it) was enough to sustain that image for as long as he wanted. He'd done his share of good for the world (and New York), so why not settle down? Marlene would certainly appreciate being out of that previous life. Frenchie might complain, but he could take care of himself. He could even have the mooncopter, if he wanted it.

But that wasn't who Marc was. It was a life he knew he'd never have, even if he did want it.

Justice is who the Egyptian god Konshu is. He was reminded of that everytime he touched the statue he brought back from Egypt. Justice is what gave him his power.

Justice is what drove him to go out at nights and take on his other identity: Cab driver Jake Lockley. He'd done his round for a few hours without any leads on criminal activities. He debated whether or not to give Bertrand Crawley (a homeless man and his main street contact) a visit and see if there was any criminal activitiy going on he needed to know about. He also considered heading home early tonight, but he felt that something wasn't right. Hesitant to go on such a faint feeling, he kept driving his cab route, keeping his eyes open.

Maxios
2011-04-05, 03:38 PM
Spider-Man

It has been quiet. Sure, there was the guy holding up the convenience store, and the man stealing another guy's wallet at knifepoint, but in general, pretty quiet. No explosions, no armored car assaults, no bank robberies - nobody robs banks anymore, why's that? - and the patrol's going by fast. At this rate, you might be able to make it back to your apartment in an hour or so and curl up next to MJ for a change. It'd be good for the both of you, your patrols and such have really cut into the time you can spend on your marriage. As you're thinking that, you see movement below you - your spider-sense isn't going off, so it's nothing dangerous. You see Daredevil racing across the rooftops, swinging by his billy club lines.

"Daredevil? How's it been going?" Spider-Man says, swinging next to him.

industrious
2011-04-05, 03:47 PM
Daredevil

"Oh, you know."

Daredevil balances on a street lamp before springing off onto a rooftop.

"Secret identity under fire, a 400 million dollar lawsuit against the Daily Globe, and you forgot to invite me to your wedding, Peter. I still haven't met your wife."

Four Horsebears
2011-04-05, 08:05 PM
Outlaw

The Texan mutant's eyes light up at the tip, and she grinned with relief. "Oh! That's just what ah needed, cowboy. Ah ain't gonna forget this, you'll see." She would have to pay him back some time in the future- Fenway always was a great merc, even when things got nasty. And if this Price guy yielded a pay day, it would really smooth things out, get her out of a real jam. No, she owed Fenway good.

Swigging down her beer at lightning speed, Outlaw grabs her wallet and races out of the bar, giving Fenway one last friendly wave as she exited out the doors. Running top speed down the mostly-empty sidewalks to the nearest subway station, she hops on the next train to the Met, excited that she'd get paying work when she arrived.

smasher0404
2011-04-05, 08:30 PM
Hawkeye continues to stake out the museum, seeing if he see anything suspicious. Readying a regular arrow into the bow.

Bruendor_Cavescout
2011-04-06, 06:29 PM

Tonight's been a good night. It's not always easy being the chosen champion of Khonshu, but the Egyptian god had been more distant than usual. Marc could still feel his patron giving him the strength and determination he always had, but he hadn't been giving him guidance nearly as often either. Still, he wasn't berating Marc either, so there was a silver lining to that cloud.

As Marc ponders this, a young woman dressed in business attire flagged down Marc's taxi. She's in her mid-to-late-20s, and her ebony tresses are pulled back to flow over her shoulders. She carries a large black reusable shopping bag with the iconic "I Heart NY" logo on it, though its somewhat weather-worn. She smiles as she enters the taxi, shutting the door behind her. "I'm heading to the Met," she said in a melodious voice, placing the bag on the seat next to her and brushing a lock of raven hair away from her face. "And, um, it's sort of a rush."

Outlaw

The trip through New York's subway system is uneventful, but colorful. The tubes, even at this late hour, are filled with buskers, the homeless and a few prostitutes and pushers, mixed in with the humanity that make the city work during the daytime. Transit Authority had been cracking down on security ever since 9/11, but it's still easy to slip firearms past them if you know what you're doing. When Outlaw gets to the Met, she's not surprised to find that the front doors are locked, and the foyer is darkened.

Spider-Man and Daredevil

The two heroes swing and somersault across the rooftops of a darkened New York, catching up on old times as they go. Spider-Man quickly realizes that Daredevil's currently heading towards the center of Manhattan Island, most likely Central Park - away from Clinton. Away from Hell's Kitchen.

Hawkeye

Clint's surveillance does reveal two things. First, that security guard has smoked two cigarettes now, and is still not heading inside. Secondly, about twenty past midnight, a blonde woman wearing a Stetson, cowboy boots (with spurs), a light tan miniskirt and matching "top," if you can call it that - it looks like she's almost busting out of it. A revolver is holstered on both her hips. The woman heads to the front of the Met, and checks the door, finding it locked.

Maxios
2011-04-06, 06:33 PM
Daredevil

"Oh, you know."

Daredevil balances on a street lamp before springing off onto a rooftop.

"Secret identity under fire, a 400 million dollar lawsuit against the Daily Globe, and you forgot to invite me to your wedding, Peter. I still haven't met your wife."

"Oh righhhhhhht. My bad. Why are you heading to Central Park, Daredevil? Big Heist going on you know about? Fire of some sort? Or did you switch dry cleaners?" Spider-Man says

industrious
2011-04-06, 06:51 PM
Daredevil

"Apparently, someone named Maximilian Pride wants to see me. And he told Foggy to contact me. He apparently didn't take no for an answer."

Which wasn't exactly reassuring. Matt's identity was already on shaky ground, these days.

Maxios
2011-04-06, 06:51 PM
"That sounds...mysterious." Spider-Man says

industrious
2011-04-06, 07:02 PM
Daredevil

"Yeah. But on the other hand, I think I'm going to convince Foggy to join us."

Daredevil starts chuckling at his next sentence.

"I'm going to get him in the Stilt-Man armor."

He can't help it, and starts laughing at the mental image.

Emongnome777
2011-04-06, 08:44 PM

"Yes, ma'am." He smiles, starts the fare counter, and pulls out. The Met, at this time of night?, he thinks. His curiosity is brief, however. This is New York. I've had odder requests. Feeling the half moon's energy flow through him, he tightens his fist and flexes his muscles. Shame, I was looking for some action tonight. It's been a while since I've felt this good.

The met is around 3 miles away, and he makes good time, obeying the lady's request to hurry. Pulling up on the curb at the front entrance, he turns to the mysterious lady and smiles. "Eleven dollars, ma'am."

jerichodrumm
2011-04-06, 09:00 PM
Paladin

Leaving the Contessa, if that's really her title, was no easy feat, but a deal's a deal. In this case, a fixer had called you on your work phone, saying that a prospective job had opened up, and for once, it might be on the up-and-up. Some property had gone missing at the Met, and the curator, a Mr. Price, was willing to shell out some serious cash to get it back. In good faith, Mr. Price had wired $2,500 to your account just to show up, with a promise of making much more than that once the job was finished. The fixer was more trustworthy than some you'd met - which meant it'd take a larger amount of money to get him to betray you - and the money checked out.

Paladin made his way to the Met like most other 'heroes' via rooftop. While the mercenary wasn't as agile as some he did possess a certain athleticism and superhuman strength. It wasn't pretty but Paladin made it there. On time no less. He dropped down to the city streets and approached the front doors.

Bruendor_Cavescout
2011-04-06, 10:26 PM

The woman beams as the cab pulls up to the Met. With a cheery "thank you!", she presses fifteen dollars into "Jake's" hands. "Keep the change, you earned it!" She gathers the bag, and heads out of the cab towards the front doors, where she stops abruptly as she notices a scantily-clad cowgirl.

Moreover, as Marc watches, a man dressed in purple and black body armor drops from the nearby buildings and lands at the front door as well.

Paladin

Paladin might not have the grace of Spider-Man, but he has no issues racing across the rooftops towards Central Park. He heads up the stone steps to the Met, and sees two people also standing at the door: a raven-haired woman in business attire, and a cowgirl, her golden locks flowing from beneath her Stetson. The dark-haired woman seems uncertain of the blonde; the reverse does not seem to be true. The business woman gives a small shriek when you land near her.

Outlaw

As the young mutant ponders her next move, a taxi pulls up in front of the Met. A young woman - really, not much older than the merc - is dressed in a sensible business outfit, and carries a black reusable bag. She notices the pretty young blonde outside the doors quickly, and approaches cautiously. "Um, can I help you, miss?" She maintains a cautious distance - after all, the cowgirl is armed.

Shortly after that, a man in purple-and-black body armor approaches the building as well. The other woman is surprised by his approach, and she give a small gasp once she realizes he's there.

Hawkeye

Half an hour past midnight, and action has really begun to happen at the Met. A cab has pulled up, a woman has gotten out, and briefly converses with the cowgirl when a familiar man in purple armor appears on the scene.

Paladin. Sometimes he'd been an ally. Sometimes he'd been a threat. Depended upon who was paying him at the time. Which one was he now?

jerichodrumm
2011-04-06, 11:11 PM
Paladin

Paladin might not have the grace of Spider-Man, but he has no issues racing across the rooftops towards Central Park. He heads up the stone steps to the Met, and sees two people also standing at the door: a raven-haired woman in business attire, and a cowgirl, her golden locks flowing from beneath her Stetson. The dark-haired woman seems uncertain of the blonde; the reverse does not seem to be true. The business woman gives a small shriek when you land near her.

"Excuse me ladies." Paladin actually gave the two woman a slight bow. "My name is Paladin; Super-Soldier of Fortune. Perhaps you have heard of me?" after a moments silence. "No?"

Emongnome777
2011-04-07, 12:46 PM

After taking the money, he pauses momentarily, pretending to fiddle with his meter as he watches the exchange with interest, though he can't hear the conversation. He doesn't recognize any of the two new individuals, but it's obvious that there's more going on than a simple late-night rendezvous. He drives off for around a block and turns on a side street and parks his cab. He checks to see if anyone is watching (including the roof tops!) then changes into his cloaked costume and leaves the cab. He climbs the nearest building and heads back toward the Met. His enhanced strength and agility allow him to easily jump between the buildings. He gets as close as he can, watching what is going on carefully at the front steps. He checks that his truncheons are in place and he has several cresent-shaped scarabs.

Four Horsebears
2011-04-07, 01:04 PM
Outlaw

The mutant blinks at the sudden arrival of the other mercenary, surprised and a little perplexed by his sudden, flashy entrance. She'd never met him before, but based on his gear and his introduction, he was easy enough to identify.

"Yeah, ah've heard of you," the cowgirl said. "Name's Outlaw. We're in the same line of work... ...!" Her expression turned into one of annoyance as a realization dawned over her.

"...Dang. You're here for the same job as me, ain't you?"

industrious
2011-04-07, 01:35 PM
Daredevil

"Entirely possible. But some of us see it less as a job and more a calling."

Daredevil, along with Spider-Man, had come in through one of the narrow alleys, unnoticed by the others.

"And if I'm not mistaken, Moon Knight's on one of the roofs. Someone called us here. It better be important enough for me to leave the Kitchen."

jerichodrumm
2011-04-07, 03:42 PM
Paladin

Paladin stroked his chin in imitation of thoughtfulness "Well 'Outlaw' I hope you were smart enough to get an advance?" at the arrival of the two recognizable heroes Paladin chuckled. "I think we probably are all here for similar reasons. Museum Robbery? Oh and thanks for the C-Block Hornhead. You and Web-head continuing your Bromance I see."

smasher0404
2011-04-07, 04:06 PM
I approach them all quietly bow drawn with a regular arrow, showing myself to them.

Maxios
2011-04-07, 05:17 PM
"Indeed we are, Paladin." Spider-Man says chuckling.

Bruendor_Cavescout
2011-04-07, 05:37 PM
On the Steps of the Met

The woman gasps as she's suddenly surrounded by several of New York's heroes. Her eyes widen, and she takes a few steps back. "Please, um, I'm not sure what's happening, but I'm guessing it has something to do with why Mr. Price asked me to stay so late tonight. You all aren't going to start a brawl out here, are you? I mean, one of you is a menace to society." She glances nervously towards Spider-Man as she says that.

"The front doors are locked, and I don't have a key. I was told that Harry'd be able to let me in the back, and if you're here to meet with Mr. Price, I'm certain he'd let you in as well." The woman heads down the steps and begins a long walk around the Met when Hawkeye's appearance on the scene causes her to start as well. "Another one? Are there any more of you around here?" she asks, half-seriously.

industrious
2011-04-07, 05:49 PM
Daredevil

One day, I am going to convince Peter to sue that paper for damages.

"Other than one more who'll be joining us at his leisure-"

Daredevil "looks" up and "stares" at Moon Knight for a split second.

"We should be fine."

jerichodrumm
2011-04-07, 05:53 PM
Paladin

When Hawkeye showed with his bow drawn with a pointy arrow Paladin immediately went for his patented 'Stun-Gun'. With one hand firmly on his holster he put his other hand up palm facing the Archer. "Whoa there Cupid! How's about pointing that thing elsewhere!"

Four Horsebears
2011-04-07, 06:47 PM
Outlaw

She looks at all the men around her in disbelief, backing away from them while prepared to draw her firearms, if necessary. Her brow furrows in consternation, visibly annoyed that this job was apparently going to be much more difficult than Fenway had intimated. If all these guys were here to bid for the same job she'd been told about, or, worse, if they were trying to stop anybody from doing said job, this was a dead end.

"...Gorram it," the mutant mutters. She really doesn't want to get into a battle royale with these guys for a couple thousand dollars. She might be able to take on Spider-Man or Daredevil on her own (though even that was presumptuous), but she knew the scene well enough to know that these guys were on the whole pretty chummy and would gang up on her if she started a ruckus. Things were looking to be pretty sour now.

...If Wade were here, he'd figure out how to make money off of this. That, or inadvertently set the entire Met on fire.

Emongnome777
2011-04-07, 09:06 PM

Things just kept getting weirder as more individuals were approaching the front door when he spotted his friend, Hawkeye. He lept off the building, letting his cape glide him down to the ground. Ignoring the others, he approached Hawkeye. "Hawkeye, my friend. I haven't seen you since you crafted my weapons. What's going on here?"

jerichodrumm
2011-04-08, 01:35 AM
Paladin

At Moon Knight's appearance Paladin shook his head. Still not taking his hand off his Stun-Gun the commented. "Waitaminute...Is this a Defenders for a Day (http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/defendersforaday.htm) thing? Is Dollar Bill going to hop out from behind a bush or something?"

smasher0404
2011-04-08, 06:13 AM
Hawkeye says "Sorry, like you have the best track record for being with the good guys."

jerichodrumm
2011-04-08, 03:51 PM
Hawkeye says "Sorry, like you have the best track record for being with the good guys."

"I am sorry Hawkeye. You're right...Waitaminute...What was your profession again before you joined the Avengers?" he asked knowing of the Archer's exploits against Iron Man before he became a hero.
"I have never gone after anyone who wasn't wanted by Johnny Law. I can't help it if half of you have had warrants out on you. I would also like to bring up that I carry a STUN gun and not a razor-sharp arrow that could probably bring down an elk. Now unless you are going to shoot me; you'll have to pardon me. I have to see a man about a job." Paladin then sauntered up the stairs towards the entrance.

Bruendor_Cavescout
2011-04-08, 06:47 PM
On the Steps of the Met

"Look," the woman said again, the nervousness giving a bit of a quaver in her voice. "I don't know what's going on here any more than you do, but I'm sure Mr. Price is expecting you all."

She continues towards the back of the Met, where the seven of them meet up with an older man acting as the security. He's been working on a pack of Marlboros for the last half an hour or so, and a small collection of butts have piled up by his feet. The man nods to the woman as she heads up the steps to the rear entrance. "Evenin', Felicia. Hope the bossman lets you go home sometime tonight!"

He gave her a broad smile, and the woman returned it. "Thanks, Harry, I hope you're right. I'm running out of midnight oil to burn." As she heads in, she calls back to him. "Oh, and you aren't seeing any of this, right?"

He surveyed your lot, a little awestruck seeing these costumed heroes filing in so late at night, then answered a pleasant, "Mum's the word, Felicia, mum's the word!"

The inside of the Metropolitan Museum of Art isn't as iconic a New York destination as the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty or Times Square - still, it's an honored institution in New York, collecting culturally relevant pieces of artwork from virtually every era of history, from the Renaissance greats to unknown yet influential medieval artists. The back corridors the woman - Felicia, according to Harry - leads you down are seldom seen by those that frequent the Met's vaulted halls. Eventually, she leads you to an office somewhere on the third floor. Though most of the Met is darkened, the light is still on in here. A sign on the door reads "Office of Library Acquisitions - Maximillian Pride, Curator." Felicia knocks on the door, then cracks it open. "Mr. Price? There are some, ah, friends of the arts here to see you?"

There is an audible sigh of relief from inside the office, and you hear the sound of a man getting up from a desk. "Show them in, Ms. Bifrost," the man inside says, his voice quiet yet deep. She opens the door, and an older man wearing a fine suit stands beside an oaken desk. Stacks of books line the shelves in his office, and a computer several generations old sits on his desk. He nods to all of his guests as they enter.

"Thank you all for coming on such short notice," he says. "I am, as you may have surmised, Maximillian Pride, and am in charge of the purchases and maintenance of the rare books we keep here in the Museum. Before I begin, can I have Ms. Bifrost get you anything? Some coffee or tea, perhaps? I fear this might be a long night for you all."

smasher0404
2011-04-08, 09:54 PM
"Some coffee please? I've been sitting around doing nothing but patrolling" Hawkeye says.

industrious
2011-04-08, 10:02 PM
Daredevil

"I take my coffee black. And tell the security guard out there to stop smoking."

The problem with enhanced senses at a time like this. Matt had to make an effort to refrain from coughing.

"Oh. And an explanation for why you summoned us here. There are innocents who are being mugged as we speak. And right now, I don't see much of a reason to stay here other than curiosity."

jerichodrumm
2011-04-10, 02:34 AM
Paladin

Paladin waved a hand at the offer of coffee. "Not unless you have any Kona or Jamaican Blue Mountain..No? Then let's get down to business shall we?"

Bruendor_Cavescout
2011-04-10, 08:26 AM
In Maximillian Price's Office

"Very well. Ms. Bifrost, if you please, bring a coffee for me as well?" Felicia nodded and left the office. Mr. Price ran a hand through his thinning gray hair, and returned to his desk.

"As some of you may know, there was a robbery here at the Met just last night. We've been trying to keep this rather quiet, as it was a minor intrusion - the only thing that was taken was a rare book on loan to us from a university we are affiliated with in central Massachusetts. Normally, this would be dealt with by the police, but this is a rather embarrassing situation for the museum, and we would like to avoid any publicity that goes along with a search for the book dealt with by New York City's finest.

"That is why I have turned to you for help. That, and I suspect this theft was done by someone in your profession in the first place." He turns to his computer, and begins searching for something as he continues. "I had Harry send me the surveillance footage on the book when the theft took place. You'll see what I mean." He clicks on something, and turns his monitor around so the assembled heroes can see it.

A black-and-white silent image of a library appears on the monitor, the time-stamp indicating that this footage was roughly this time yesterday. The library is dimly lit, with several rare books on pedestals, glass coverings protecting them both from damage and would-be thieves. The room is otherwise empty and unremarkable. At 12:43, a billowing darkness envelops the room, and the screen shows an inky blackness for over a minute and a half. At 12:45 precisely, the blackness disappears abrubtly, and two things have changed in the room. First, one of the books under glass has been stolen, the glass protecting it shattered. Second, and it's hard to make out in the footage, but it appears that something has appeared in the room, possibly a hat of some sort.

"Our silent alarms triggered while the security feed was blinded," Mr. Pride continued. "Obviously, when we got there, the book was gone. Harry did, however, find this." He opened a desk drawer and retrieved a gray fedora, wide-brimmed and looking as though it came from a gangster film.

"So," Mr. Price said. "You can see my dilemma. I would like to ask you six for help in retrieving this book. I do not know what the thieves want with the book, but I would like it recovered and delivered back to us. Will you help me?"

industrious
2011-04-10, 04:50 PM
Daredevil

It smells of cloth and sweat, and is definitely in the shape of a fedora. Unfortunately, he'd need to take a closer look at it in order to get anything more out of it. Even with his enhanced senses, being blind posed challenges. One of them, for example, was his inability to appreciate paintings.

"I'll need to take a closer look at that hat."

The red-clad vigilante holds out a hand, waiting for Price to place it in his hand.

jerichodrumm
2011-04-11, 06:02 AM
Paladin

Paladin held his chin as he watched the video, lightly tapping his pursed lips with his index finger as he did. "Hmmm so nothing else was stolen? What was the name of the Book? Its contents may tell us something as to why they wanted that particular book and left all the others unmolested."

In his head Paladin ran through a mental list of known SPBs with darkness powers. Hmmm...Blackout, Cloak, Darkstar, The Shroud are the top ones. Of them only Cloak and Shroud really do the billowy darkness thing. The others just project beams or fields of darkness. Cloak is local but a vigilante. Shroud is a known criminal but is a West Coaster.

Emongnome777
2011-04-11, 08:08 AM

Moon Knight rubs his chin, watching the monitor. After Mr. Price told them his situation, he shook his head. "I find it hard to believe that you would assemble a group like this over an 'embarrasment'. This book obviously has a tremendous value. I agree with Paladin here, we need to know exactly what that book was and why someone would want to steal it. I can only speak for myself in saying that this lost and found mission better be important enough to justify being off the streets, keeping the city safe."

Four Horsebears
2011-04-11, 10:11 PM
Outlaw

The woman listened quietly through Mr. Price's explanation, and when she was finished she folded her arms, wondering how she was going to make a profit off this. It didn't seem likely that all six of them were really going to work together to retrieve the book, and even if they did, most of these guys were vigilantes... not the kind of people to collect a paycheck for doing what they did anyway. And it was possible that any one of them would try and keep her from collecting on her share, as well. She wasn't sure she liked this.

"Ah'm willing to find this book of yours, but you never got around to sayin' what it's worth to you."

Bruendor_Cavescout
2011-04-11, 11:28 PM
In Maximillian Price's Office

Mr. Price nods towards Daredevil as he passes the hat over to the cowled vigilante. Even through his leather gloves, he can feel the soft felt of the fedora, the smoothness of the tight hat band, and the pungent aroma of allium. Clearly, whoever wore this hat last had eaten something with a lot of garlic in it, and his sweat soaked into the brow of his hat.

To the other three, Mr. Price continues as Daredevil examines the hat closely. "The book is the diary of a Puritan by the name of Bartholomew Jacobs. He lived in Salem, Massachusetts in the late 17th century. We acquired this text, along with several others, for a collection displaying early colonial American artifacts; however, this is the only one that was stolen. Mr. Jacobs' journal is a glimpse into what daily life in pre-colonial America was like.

"Now, there are those that believe Mr. Jacobs was a magician of the blackest sort. In fact, he was burned alive after being condemned as a witch during the infamous Salem trials of 1692. He is said to have visited with several prominent esotericians of his age; Francois-Honore Balfour, Joseph Glanvil and others are said to have visited him at his home. There are those that have a second name for Mr. Jacobs' journal - they call it The Madman's Musings. Such sensationalists believe Bartholomew left coded instructions within his journal to create, summon or bind inhuman creatures to the summoner's will.

As Mr. Price relates the history of the journal, Felicia Bifrost returns to his office, carrying three cups of black coffee. She sets a cup down on Mr. Price's desk, and begins handing out the coffee to the others that requested it.

"I myself hold little stock in such fanciful tales. However, I suspect that whoever broke into the museum last night is less of a skeptic than myself; otherwise, they would have taken more than just this one book. I'd asked an assortment of people to come tonight mostly because I wasn't certain if anyone would come. Some of you, I know, work for the good of the people. Some, however, are more motivated by enlightened self-interest. In that respect, I have earmarked a hundred thousand dollars to pay for the safe return of the journal. Make no mistake, I want this thief to pay!" He slams his fist down onto the desk to punctuate his outburst.

Felicia jumps at the sudden noise, and the cup she was handing to Hawkeye slips from her grasp, spilling the scalding hot beverage on him. "Oh my God, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to..." She grabs a box of tissues sitting on Mr. Price's desk and begins blotting up the coffee that's beginning to soak into Hawkeye's uniform.

I need everyone to make an Intuition roll. You can make it here, or make it in the OOC thread, but if you make it here, please spoilerize.

industrious
2011-04-12, 12:27 AM
Daredevil

He holds the hat by the brim, passing it along his hands until he reaches the point he started. Daredevil then states a single word.

"It's from the Maggia. Hammerhead family."

Intuition Roll: [roll0]
That's a red result, I believe, since Daredevil has Monstrous Intuition.

Four Horsebears
2011-04-12, 11:08 AM
Outlaw

She understood very little of the historical jargon, but she heard the words "hundred thousand dollars," and that was enough for her. And she felt confident enough in her own abilities to take on Hammerhead, more so with the other five guys around her doing most of the heavy lifting. And if not everybody collected their payment, it'd mean more for her... This was going to be a cinch.

1d100 → [93] (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2977948/)

smasher0404
2011-04-12, 06:48 PM
"Hot! Hot! Hot!" Says Hawkeye

Don't read unless you want a quick laugh
Should I take damage from extremely hot coffee :smalltongue:

Bruendor_Cavescout
2011-04-12, 07:34 PM
In Mr. Price's Office

Daredevil "looks" in Mr. Price's direction, listening to the old man's heartbeat. It's slightly elevated, as one would expect for someone in his position. What the vigilante does not hear is a lie. If there's some hidden agenda that Price is attempting to keep from him, it's nothing that's been brought up thus far.

All of the assembled heroes are able to tell that Felicia is rather nervous, and Mr. Price's sudden outburst truly frightened her. Daredevil can hear her heartbeat racing far faster than it should.

The young woman dabs up what coffee she can from Hawkeye's leather costume, and comes away with several Kleenex soaked with the brown liquid. "I'm so sorry, let me go get some paper towels..." She rushes out of the room, heading towards the women's restroom.

Mr. Price removes his glasses, and pinches the bridge of his nose. "I apologize for Ms. Bifrost - she's a new hire here at the Met. I think the events of this evening have her quite on edge."

"If you have any further questions...?"

Maxios
2011-04-12, 08:32 PM
Intuition Roll for Spiderman
[roll0]

industrious
2011-04-12, 10:43 PM
Daredevil

"None that I can think of. Actually..."

Daredevil rise to his feet.

"I have to go the bathroom myself."

Closing the door of the office behind him, Daredevil heads to the woman's bathroom.

"We need to talk."

If she was hiding something, she'd tell him very quickly.

jerichodrumm
2011-04-12, 11:21 PM
Tried posting this last night but site was down for maintenance. :(

Paladin

Paladin listened as the curator spoke of the book and its history. "Hmm Madman's Musings...Great."

"It's from the Maggia. Hammerhead family."

"Huh. That doesn't quite jive. Inky darkness isn't quite Hammerhead's M.O. and it seems kind of convenient that they left a big hunkin' piece of evidence like that. Smells like a set-up to me."

Intuition [roll0]

Bruendor_Cavescout
2011-04-14, 10:46 PM
In Mr. Price's Office

"I'll admit, I'm hard-pressed into thinking of a reason why an organized crime family would want this particular book, but then, that's why I'm offering this reward. If this Hammerhead has the book, then get it back from him. If he doesn't, and someone's setting him up to take the fall, retrieve it from them. Either way, I want the book back - and you might be able to put away some influential members of the Maggia while you're at it."

At the Restrooms

Daredevil can hear Felicia's sobs as he exits Price's office. As he opens the door to the bathroom, he can see her seated on a small bench that's been placed in here for the patrons to wait for a stall. She has some paper towels she's grabbed from the dispensers, and she uses them to blot her eyes. She's startled as the door open, and sniffles as she sees the masked vigilante enter. "Please," she says, looking up him with imploring eyes. "Please, you have to understand, it's not his fault! I know he has to have been put up to this!"

Bruendor_Cavescout
2011-04-20, 08:01 PM
At the Restrooms

Under the weight of Daredevil's eyeless stare, Felicia breaks down and continues her story. "It's my brother, Johnny. We grew up poor, and he's been watching out for me ever since we were kids. After Dad died, Mom couldn't support us, so we took to the streets. He joined one of the gangs, the Flashing Blades, to keep us both safe. This is the first respectable job I've had in my life; before this I was singing in one of the dirtiest clubs you'd ever seen."

She sniffles, and after wiping away tears, she continued. "Two nights ago, I met him outside of Hank's - the sports bar they gather at. I heard him on his cell phone, talking to someone, and he was talking about some job at the Met. He hung up after he saw me coming, as though he didn't want me hearing what they were discussing. The next evening, there's a break-in here, and that journal was stolen. I don't know what part he played in the theft, but he's a good man - he just runs with a bad crowd! If you can convince him to give the journal to you, it'd be much better than if the police take him into custody. Persuade him to leave the gang - he might listen to you, even though he's never listened to me." She looks up at Daredevil, her eyes imploring him. "Please, Daredevil, will you help me? Will you help my brother?"

jerichodrumm
2011-04-20, 10:30 PM
PALADIN

In Mr. Price's Office

"I'll admit, I'm hard-pressed into thinking of a reason why an organized crime family would want this particular book, but then, that's why I'm offering this reward. If this Hammerhead has the book, then get it back from him. If he doesn't, and someone's setting him up to take the fall, retrieve it from them. Either way, I want the book back - and you might be able to put away some influential members of the Maggia while you're at it."

Paladin was obviously still unconvinced but he shrugged in resignation. "Hey you're the boss. As long as your Money is good I'll knock around as many wiseguys as you want."

jerichodrumm
2011-04-22, 04:40 PM
On second thought... Paladin said looking around the room. "I think this gig may not be my style. I'll leave dealing with all the spandex to you noobie!" he said to Outlaw. "I have a date with a Countess and a Bottle of Chateau de versailles." As the Merc left he looked over to the sound of sobs at the ladies room where he spied the silhouette of Daredevil through opaque glass. "Creepy."

OOC:

Yeah between getting more "server to busy" messages and this game being painfully slow I am gonna bail. Good luck. :smallsmile:

industrious
2011-04-22, 05:21 PM
Daredevil

He can't promise anything definite. Experience had taught him that much. Make a promise, and break it, and they would never forgive you.

"I'll do what I can."

Daredevil moves in closer.

"Where is he now? Still at the club?"

Bruendor_Cavescout
2011-04-22, 08:28 PM
In Mr. Price's Office

The curator shakes his head with disappointment as he watches the violet-clad mercenary leave his office. "It's so hard to find good help these days." He surveys the remaining costumed heroes. "When you find the book, give me a call on my cell." He hands you each a card, the phone number penned in on the back.

At the Restrooms

Felicia nods her head. "If he's not there, someone probably knows where he went. Getting them to talk might be rough though."

smasher0404
2011-04-22, 08:40 PM
"k" hawkeye grunts.

Bruendor_Cavescout
2011-04-26, 01:04 PM
In Mr. Price's Office

Price stands, placing his hands wearily upon his desk. "I thank you, all of you, for doing this for me." He glances over at Hawkeye, his costume still wet from the coffee. "Where is that woman? She should have been back by now. MS. BIFROST!"

After a short pause, the young woman returns to the curator's office, carrying a handful of paper towels. She hands Hawkeye some, and she assists soaking up as much of the dark brew from his costume as he will allow.

At the Restrooms

"OUR GUESTS ARE LEAVING!", echoed Price's voice in the women's room. Felicia winces, and quickly rises to her feet. She dabs away the tears from her face and eyes, and grabs a handful of paper towels. She heads out the door, stopping momentarily to place a delicate hand upon Daredevil's forearm. "Do what you can. My brother means the world to me. He's all the family I've got left." She passes by him to return to Price's office.

Price looks to Felicia again, and removes his spectacles, cleaning them with a handkerchief. "I believe our meeting is over, Ms. Bifrost, you may escort our guests out now." She nods, and leads you all back out the way you came in. You all stand outside the Met, and the sounds of the city are muffled by the distance and cover Central Park affords. Overhead, the moon gazes down at you all as dark clouds drift lazily by, sometimes obscuring the silvery orb.

Emongnome777
2011-04-26, 01:22 PM
Moon Knight

Marc stares up at the moon after they leave the Met. He lets the radiance flow through him, energizing him. He also lets it clear his thoughts and give guidance. Chasing some book for a museum wasn't what I had in mind for tonight, he thinks to himself. However, the possiblity of it being used for some nefarious purpose was too real to ignore. He didn't believe that Hammerhead had anything to do with it only because that their "evidence" was too convenient.

"What do you guys know about Hammerhead? I only know he's the head of a Maggia family, very gangster-style."