PDA

View Full Version : Familiars and Feats

Half-orc Bard
2011-04-02, 10:50 PM
Is there anyway to get my familiar fly-by attack. I'm a noob when it comes to familiars. When I play wizards I never get one, but I'm making a warlock, and I'm giving the raven a great UMD and a wand of cure critical wounds so It can heal me and party members. And fly-by would be quite useful so the raven won't get hurt when healing melee members. So please tell me if it can get fly-by attack thanks playgrounders

Cog
2011-04-02, 10:53 PM
The only way I'm aware of is fairly indirect. Arcane Heirophant (normally an arcane/druid dual progression PrC) from Races of the Wild lets you count your Animal Companion as your Familiar. Companions get actual HD, unlike Familiars, and so it could get the feat.

Runestar
2011-04-03, 02:23 AM
All familiars will start with at least a feat courtesy of their 1st HD. Check with your DM if you can have your familiar start out with the flyby attack feat instead of its default starting feat.

Else, the earliest would be at lv15, when you can replace feats via chaos-shuffling (a technique involving a combination of 2 spells found in fiendish codex). Or if you can get a psion to use psychic reformation.

Half-orc Bard
2011-04-03, 03:08 PM
Alright thanks

Ashram
2011-04-03, 03:42 PM
For feats, don't you simply have to have a certain intelligence? I believe it's 6, which is what a familiar's intelligence starts as.

I've been wondering this myself as of late, I've been wanting to give my fiendish viper familiar some feats.

peacenlove
2011-04-03, 05:04 PM
For feats, don't you simply have to have a certain intelligence? I believe it's 6, which is what a familiar's intelligence starts as.

I've been wondering this myself as of late, I've been wanting to give my fiendish viper familiar some feats.

Unless the feat itself has a prerequisite intelligence score (such as combat expertise) you can take feats as long as you have any intelligence score (ie not a non ability)