PDA

View Full Version : Critique custom abilities for a Boss fight

Angry Bob
2011-04-02, 11:49 PM
My PCs might run across these enemies and I want opinions on how balanced or unbalanced these custom abilities are on the given NPCs against the given party. These abilities are the result of an exotic alchemical combat elixir and alien possession, respectively.

A karsite TWF warblade 12: Supernatural quickness(as the choker)(despite its name, is (Ex)), haste(Ex), Regeneration 30, DR 20/-, +8 str, +8 dex, +8 con. Immune: Mind-affecting, ability damage/drain. Blood becomes highly toxic and acidic after death, rendering her gear either destroyed or in need of sterilization before use.

An old human archivist 12: Quickened Black Tentacles SLA every 1d4 +1 rounds, displacement(50% miss chance), abrupt jaunt(as the conjurer) with no daily limit, mind****ing gaze((Su)60 ft, single target, standard action: 2d6 wisdom damage, DC 18 will negates), Immune: Mind-affecting.

Minions: Probably low-level aberrations as a screen against charging(see below)

The party(ECL 10-11 by the time of this encounter), for comparison:

Note: The "large" template the goliath and shifter are using is a modified version of half-minotaur.
A large shifter monk(chaos)/psywarrior/barbarian/weretouched master that does something like 12d6+absurd on an unarmed strike. In addition, uses the OA version of flying kick.
A "lesser pixie"(homebrewed down to +2 LA) sorcerer optimized for counterspelling. Has one level of Iot7V
A githzerai knife-thrower using palm throw cheese to pitch 8 drow long knives on a full attack and apply his dex(like 28 or something) to damage twice.
A large goliath warblade/fighter(houserule: fighter adds full IL instead of 1/2) with a spiked chain and favored enemy: suckers that provoke from me.

Goonthegoof
2011-04-03, 07:08 AM
Immune: mind affecting on both of them just seems like it's there to screw over beguilers etc.. why not just give them a bonus to saves vs mind affecting?

Angry Bob
2011-04-03, 12:08 PM
There are no beguilers in the party, and the sorcerer, even though he uses some mind-affecting stuff, can also do other stuff just as well.