PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Playing a tsochar: Summoner or Assassin?

Emo_Duck
2011-04-03, 09:13 AM
I'm going to be playing a tsochar (from the 3.5 Lords of Madness book) in a Planescape game using the Pathfinder rules, and I find myself torn between two directions as far as class choice goes.

The game is ECL 6, and each PC is an exotic race or creature of some sort between CR 2 and 6. Tsochari are CR 4, so that leaves me with 2 class levels on top of (conveniently enough) 4 aberration HD. This is where I'm stumped: My original idea was to go for Summoner, giving me some spellcasting options and an Eidolon buddy. The DM introduced a 'Practiced Summoner' feat, working like Practiced Spellcaster for the purposes of the Eidolon. I was planning to follow the Nom-Beast outline in the excellent Summoner handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184592), aiming to incapacitate things via grappling/tying up for taking over their bodies. The tsochar itself isn't a bad grappler, since it gets a +4 racial bonus to grapple checks in addition to the +4 bonus given by Pathfinder's version of Grab. With a dexterity of 22, a 1d3 Dex poison attack on Constricting and Agile Maneuvers, I think there's good synergy there.

Still, I only cast like a level 2 Summoner, which isn't that impressive, so now I'm thinking of taking the Assassin prestige class instead. The focal point is its Death Attack, which can eventually paralyse a target for the full minute required to take over its body. I'm looking at Aberration HD 4/Inquisitor 1/Assassin 1 to start with. I picked Inquisitor over Rogue since the former has a bunch of interesting early class features as well as Knowledge class skills. Besides which, my character is a member of the Fraternity of Order, and said class features rather fit the whole 'bend rules and probabilities to your advantage' schtick they have.

Basically, I'd like to have lots of skill points, one or more ways of incapacitating targets to steal their bodies, high enough Intelligence and Charisma to cast any spells said target might know, and whatever else would be cool on an educated, gentlemanly, body-snatching, tentacled horror. Any tips on extradimensional gear storage would also be appreciated, as squeezing in among a target's organs seems strange if I drag along a backpack full of stuff. That's one more advantage to having the Eidolon, as it can tote around my gear.

Hope this post wasn't too messily written - I eagerly await any responses. :V