PDA

View Full Version : Targeting, approaching, (surviving), killing lvl 20

Balor01
2011-04-03, 09:39 AM
This is more a thought experiment then a real-to-be-used-in-a-game monster, still I was thinking of statting this baby. Fluff-wise this is a special caster-hunter creature, sort of a hound of God of Magic, made to search and destroy a lvl 20 caster in case God decides to have it killed and is himself busy. In order to do so, this creature should be able to perform following tasks:
Target (locate) caster, approach caster, survive casters attacks, kill it.

So far I have:
1.Target (locate) caster
Scry (yeah, this section really lacks potential. I was mostly dealing with how to keep the Hunter alive)
Blindsense
2. Approach caster
Greater teleport
3. Survive caster attacks
Diminutive Construct (Swarm) - immune to physical damage (being bombarded with depleted uranium or supercharged), also construct bonuses
Magic immunity
Disjunction spores (swarm emits a spread with a disjunction effect, thus prevents tinfoil hat trick)
Acid cloud - total, mundane concealment of the swarm, which does not effect Blindsense
4. Kill it
Hmm. Really not sure about this one. Lots of dmg+Trap the soul?

Eldariel
2011-04-03, 12:53 PM
So far I have:
1.Target (locate) caster
Scry (yeah, this section really lacks potential. I was mostly dealing with how to keep the Hunter alive)
Blindsense

More powerful divinations and detection needed. Contact Other Plane is a safe, rather reliable divination and pretty logical if the creature is used by God of Magic. Divination and Commune are other convenient ways of divining information.

You also need a sense stronger than Blindsense since Superior Invisibility renders you immune to Blindsense. Mindsight is alright but probably blocked by Mind Blank (not by RAW but definitely by Common Sense Extension Of Rules), Touchsight isn't infallible and Lifesight has the obvious issue of not finding e.g. Liches. Some manner of Arcane Sight might be the most efficient and appropriate.

2. Approach caster
Greater teleport

Anticipate Teleport [SpC] throws a wrench in this plan; I suggest instead Teleporting within few hundred feet of the target and approaching through mundane means (that is, moving really fast). This will trigger contingencies but as long as the plan can be repeated, it can work.

The bigger issue is reaching more demiplanes inside Wizard Towers or such; at the very least Plane Shift, Etherealness and Shadow Walk capabilities are required.

3. Survive caster attacks
Diminutive Construct (Swarm) - immune to physical damage (being bombarded with depleted uranium or supercharged), also construct bonuses
Magic immunity
Disjunction spores (swarm emits a spread with a disjunction effect, thus prevents tinfoil hat trick)
Acid cloud - total, mundane concealment of the swarm, which does not effect Blindsense

Mmhm. Decent start. Don't have time to think of this right now.

4. Kill it
Hmm. Really not sure about this one. Lots of dmg+Trap the soul?

You need some way to bypass magical wards (since making yourself immune to damage is fairly trivial with magic). Once you do that, dealing lethal damage and disposing of the soul tends to be plenty.

herrhauptmann
2011-04-03, 01:19 PM
You need some way to bypass magical wards (since making yourself immune to damage is fairly trivial with magic). Once you do that, dealing lethal damage and disposing of the soul tends to be plenty.
Thinaun weapon? Made for the sole purpose of killing this particular wizard. Once it's done, and you've trapped his soul, retire the weapon, stick it in a vault in your gods care.
Summon a barghest to eat his body.
Be a Black Flame Zealot with the capstone ability.

All of those have some effect on resurrections. Alternatively, use a scroll of wish, carefully worded to ensure that he doesn't come back in some way shape or form.

WinWin
2011-04-03, 01:21 PM
Aleax. Put a couple of extra templates on it. It's attributes, abilities and gear change to match the target and it is only vulnerable to the attacks of the target. It's basicially the mage + extra stuff. If it fails, then the Deity can step in.

Hmmm...A hivenest Aleax...

Eldariel
2011-04-03, 01:29 PM
Thinaun weapon? Made for the sole purpose of killing this particular wizard. Once it's done, and you've trapped his soul, retire the weapon, stick it in a vault in your gods care.
Summon a barghest to eat his body.
Be a Black Flame Zealot with the capstone ability.

All of those have some effect on resurrections. Alternatively, use a scroll of wish, carefully worded to ensure that he doesn't come back in some way shape or form.

Making it impossible to come back won't happen without time; even Unnaming can be reversed. However, it requires reacquiring something from the slayer and as such, as long as this slayer is sufficiently powerful, it's a reasonable way of guaranteeing death. Sphere of Annihilation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm#sphereofAnnihilation) is probably the most reliable way of destroying something.

Balor01
2011-04-03, 01:58 PM
I have also a few problems here:
- mindblank on a target
- demplane with forbiddance cast on it as a targets home
- already mentioned anticipate teleport problem
- contingencies (max. 21 if I know)
- ability of a target to polimorph himself into the attacker