PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Cleric: Turning Non-Undead

Wraith
2011-04-03, 02:45 PM
I've just gotten out of the marks in a 3.5 campaign that I would hope reaches from level 1 to about 15 or so, and to try something different to my usual Rogue or Druid I decided to roll up a Cleric.

Specifically, I'd like to play a Cleric that can use Turn Undead as often as possible (easy) and against as many different creature types as possible (not so easy).

I know that I could take and retake the Bonus Domain feat so that I eventually end up with the Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Plant Domains (and thus, their associated Turning abilities) and then the Planar Turning feat so as to Turn Outsiders, but those are both in the ELH so the earliest I could do that would be as my 4th Epic Feat. :smalleek:

Can anyone recommend an easier way to do this, that is not Epic Level? Just about any Prestige Classes are allowed, though the wealth level is average and the setting is reasonably low-magic if I should require any items or influences. :smallsmile:

hivedragon
2011-04-03, 02:59 PM
gatekeeper initiate, repel aberration (eberron campaign setting)

herrhauptmann
2011-04-03, 03:02 PM
I've just gotten out of the marks in a 3.5 campaign that I would hope reaches from level 1 to about 15 or so, and to try something different to my usual Rogue or Druid I decided to roll up a Cleric.

Specifically, I'd like to play a Cleric that can use Turn Undead as often as possible (easy) and against as many different creature types as possible (not so easy).

I know that I could take and retake the Bonus Domain feat so that I eventually end up with the Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Plant Domains (and thus, their associated Turning abilities) and then the Planar Turning feat so as to Turn Outsiders, but those are both in the ELH so the earliest I could do that would be as my 4th Epic Feat. :smalleek:

Can anyone recommend an easier way to do this, that is not Epic Level? Just about any Prestige Classes are allowed, though the wealth level is average and the setting is reasonably low-magic if I should require any items or influences. :smallsmile:
Play as a dragonwrought kobold? At the venerable age category you can take [Epic] feats if you meet the other prereqs (skill points, level, stats, saves, etc).
Be prepared for the DM to slap you though.

Kantolin
2011-04-03, 03:07 PM
The 'Contemplative' prestige class in the Complete Divine gives you a bonus domain at levels 1 and 6, but it then doesn't progress turning itself, so I'm not sure how helpful that is to you.

The Complete Champion has the 'Substitute Domain' spell, which can let you swap one for another, allowing you to turn something else today.

The other I know if is the... I believe it's the Soverign Speaker, and I believe it's in the Faiths of Eberron (Or some other Eberron book), which gives you a domain every level.

Blackjackg
2011-04-03, 06:39 PM
If you consider rebuking to be as good as turning, you could make do with only two of the four elemental domains. If you can go outside of core, the Nature domain from Oriental Adventures covers both animals and plants. Other domains that add creatures to rebuke lists are Scalykind, Moon and Spider (Spell Compendium) and Thirst (Sandstorm) or Ooze (Fiendish Codex I).

Wraith
2011-04-03, 07:32 PM
Unfortunately, Repel Aberration requires Druid levels; a very good idea, but I'm committed to remaining a Cleric so as to add to my base Turning abilities. Thanks, though! :smallsmile:

Dragonwrought Kobold is an ambitious character, and more to the point I like my teeth just where they are, thank you :smallbiggrin:

I'm kinda liking the look of Sovereign Speaker so far; all I'd have to do is carry on being a 'Cleric' and just compile a list of all the Domains that let me Turn something other than Undead as I go. Like this:

Moon Domain (Spell Compendium - Lycanthropes)
Scaleykind (Spell Compendium - Reptilians)
Slime (Spell Compendium - Ooze & Slime)
Spider (Spell Compendium - Spiders)
Thirst (Sandstorm - Ooze)
Earth (Player's Handbook - Air Elementals)
Air (Player's Handbook - Earth Elementals)
Fire (Player's Handbook - Water Elementals)
Water (Player's Handbook - Fire Elementals)
Plant (Player's Handbook - Plants)
Nature (Oriental Adventures - Plants and Animals)
Celestial (Oriental Adventures - Spirits)
Cold (Frostburn - Fire Creatures)

Hmm... Still struggling for Outsiders, though I'd settle for Evil Creatures if that were easier (the party's Neutral Evil Fighter will just have to get used to it.... :smallwink: ) but I definitely have a good starting point. Thank you again!

Zaq
2011-04-03, 09:15 PM
Hmm... Still struggling for Outsiders, though I'd settle for Evil Creatures if that were easier (the party's Neutral Evil Fighter will just have to get used to it.... :smallwink: ) but I definitely have a good starting point. Thank you again!

How about a spell? Turn Anathema is a 2nd level spell from Complete Champion that lets you use "your daily turn or rebuke attempts" (no mention of undead) to turn creatures with an alignment subtype opposite of one of the components of your alignment. It's a ripe target for Persist, if you're into that sort of thing. Even if you're not, it lasts for 10 min/lv.