PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite starting gear...(From any book)

Apophis775
2011-04-03, 02:50 PM
So, whats your favorite stuff to start with, and why?

I'm talking gear, not weapons or armor.

Myself, i usually take the following:
5-10 trail rations
Magnet
Grappling hook
2 50-foot hemp ropes
5 Rubber Balls
1 brass Footpad (this wind-up thing that walks forward and makes noise, i think it's from song and silence?)
Ink
2 Paper
Scrollcase
Pen (I don't let my players draw maps unless they have paper, ink and a pen, so i don't expect people to let me)
Flint and Tinder

I'm always looking for suggestions to add to starting gear, and I like seeing what others start with, so post yer starting gears!!!

gomipile
2011-04-03, 03:02 PM
Chalk is always good, too.

mabriss lethe
2011-04-03, 03:05 PM
marbles, flour, Grell crystal

NNescio
2011-04-03, 03:40 PM
Waterskin.

Spare dagger(s), regardless of class.

A ranged weapon, regardless of class.

Torches and flasks of oil.

Bedroll, blanket, towel (linen cloth).

10-ft pole. Or even better, one of those collapsible ones that can go up to 12-ft.

The infamous rubber bouncing ball from Dungeonscape.

Laniius
2011-04-03, 05:39 PM
Bags of flour from Dungeonscape (good at any levels really, nobody had see invisibility or anything like that and we were attacked by an invisible stalker). Marbles (for making enemies lose their balance). A collapsible ladder, rope (I usually prefer silk rope if I can afford it, don't know why; probably because it's lighter), and a net (even if not proficient it is still a useful weapon). A bullseye lantern as well, even if you have darkvision on the core races it's only out to 60 ft and the bullseye lantern, is, what, a 120 foot cone?

PollyOliver
2011-04-03, 05:51 PM
What you brought, plus a few other nifty things depending on encumbrance. Chalk, bags of flour, marbles, mirrors for looking around corners and sending signals, twine, fish hooks, a lantern, oil, lard, and charcoal (for drawing and making rubbings, not burning) usually come in handy for various purposes. Also, every character gets a bow if they have the proficiency or a sling if not, and a spare dagger or three. A bottle of wine comes in surprisingly handy also for impromptu fireside diplomacy. One of us makes sure to have a skillet and a pot and ladle, and everyone has a bowl and cup. Usually we buy some fresh food and a local map on our way out of town as well, but our usual DM has been known to make them just inaccurate enough to cause problems.

gallagher
2011-04-03, 05:59 PM
chalk, marbles, and rubber balls are always necessary, but what other posters may have forgotten, but i hope they still get, is extra scroll/map cases and empty vials. you dont need to be a caster to use this easily hidden, common-use storing space for documents, samples of creatures or rocks or some stuff, or really something that you need carried in a padded holder.

heck, i had some of a fallen companions blood in a vial so we could resurrect him

PollyOliver
2011-04-03, 08:19 PM
chalk, marbles, and rubber balls are always necessary, but what other posters may have forgotten, but i hope they still get, is extra scroll/map cases and empty vials. you dont need to be a caster to use this easily hidden, common-use storing space for documents, samples of creatures or rocks or some stuff, or really something that you need carried in a padded holder.

heck, i had some of a fallen companions blood in a vial so we could resurrect him

The casters usually have vials and other nifty little things. We once had a druid who took soil samples from every locale we visited. I like to have waterproofed canvas/leather, a couple empty bottles, and an absurd amount of wax for all my waterproofing needs (or if I need a candle). We were once thrown off a ship at low level while carrying important trade documents, and by the time we realized it they had turned to goo. We had to go back, and only a minor miracle of a diplomacy check got us out of the negotiating room with almost the same terms as before. Unfortunately, I only rarely play a low level character strong enough for this stuff, so if I don't have a haversack or a pack mule, it gets hard to pick sometimes.

GoatBoy
2011-04-03, 08:26 PM
I like the default starting kit from PHB2:

Backack, belt pouch, bedroll, flint/steel, 2 sunrods, 10 days rations, 50ft rope, and waterskin.

15gp, 36 lbs.

Of course, the rubber balls and bags of flour are also a good call, but it helps to have the contents and details of the default "typical" adventurer kit on hand.

Once you have money to burn, you go for the utility belt. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400.0)

NNescio
2011-04-03, 08:40 PM
I like the default starting kit from PHB2:

Backack, belt pouch, bedroll, flint/steel, 2 sunrods, 10 days rations, 50ft rope, and waterskin.

15gp, 36 lbs.

Of course, the rubber balls and bags of flour are also a good call, but it helps to have the contents and details of the default "typical" adventurer kit on hand.

Once you have money to burn, you go for the utility belt. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400.0)

Question: What's so good about the Belt of Hidden Pouches anyway? Are the additional hidden pockets worth 2.5x the cost of a normal Handy Haversack?

ShriekingDrake
2011-04-03, 09:10 PM
I'm curious how people use the rubber balls.

NNescio
2011-04-03, 09:12 PM
I'm curious how people use the rubber balls.

You inscribe a Symbol of Insanity on it.

Throw it down a dark passageway for a limited form of scouting, or use it to trigger certain types of traps.

Gensh
2011-04-03, 09:49 PM
Swapping the bedroll for a hammock helps to cut down on weight for low-Str characters. I also usually pick up a few of the +skill items depending on class, but I usually get silent shoes no matter what, just because they help with running away if things come to it. Other than that, I usually get the basics - a mirror, a whistle, etc.

Amnestic
2011-04-03, 10:02 PM
Flasks/bottles of booze. If you're an adventurer, chances are you need a distraction after a long day of fighting monstrosities from hell dimensions and things with more tentacles then feet. The bottom of the bottle is as good a place as any.

veven
2011-04-03, 10:22 PM
You inscribe a Symbol of Insanity on it.

Throw it down a dark passageway for a limited form of scouting, or use it to trigger certain types of traps.

My halfling bard also made great use of a rubber ball, glibness, a clean shaved face, and a high disguise check to get close to a few important conversations.

Vulaas
2011-04-04, 02:42 AM
I have a nasty habit of making characters as fast as they can possibly be, so...

Aboleth slime. It's a one hit kill so long as I can out run them while they're unable to breathe ;)

Sir_Chivalry
2011-04-04, 08:05 AM
Everything I need for a good meal on the road.

Weapons and armour can't compete with actual food instead of rations.

Seth62
2011-04-04, 09:53 AM
Always have vials and flasks there o' so useful. I like to carry metal wire for garrote kills and traps regardless of class as well as multiple outfits for certain situations (arctic or desert apperal)

Yora
2011-04-04, 10:32 AM
I usually go with a backpack, a bedroll, and some food.
Also some torches, rope, some sacks and some vials, and always a dagger.
Depending on the campaign, also a shovel, a pickaxe, and a crowbar.

DM_for_once
2011-04-04, 01:10 PM
Depends on how you define "starting." I like to start out at mid-high levels and my favorite things to get are extra-dimensional storage spaces. (Though I've never had a bag of holding. I prefer the Dimensional Pocket.*) But my all time favorite can't live without item is the Trick Coin, from Dragon (I don't remember which.) It's a coin that always lands in favor of its owner, regardless of who tosses it, or who calls what. I LOVE it. :smallbiggrin:

*A “pocket” of cloth with a 1’ wide
opening at one end.
On command, the pocket adheres to the
surface it currently is in contact with
and turns invisible (though it may be
detected with See Invisible, Detect
Magic, etc.). The activator always
knows where it is.
A second command opens the pocket,
which can hold up to 1,000 pounds
and/or 150 cubic feet, though the
objects must fit through the 1’ wide
opening.
No matter how much it is holding, the
pocket has no weight.

Costs 9,000gp

Jeebers
2011-04-04, 04:54 PM
Well, it really depends on the kind of campaign and how much gold you have, so it's really hard to say what would be best overall.

Now, later on you will want to get a few low level magic items, and THAT I can help you with. First off, I suggest getting a wand of Cure Light Wounds. Gold for gold, it's the most efficient method for healing in the game. Now, you can trick that out with a diamond, as per the Magic of Faerun book. Just get ahold of a 5k diamond, and attach it to the wand. It's reusable, even if the wand itself isn't. It adds +2 to the caster level of the healing spell. Everybody should chip in on this one for the cleric.

Second, and this is really cool, get each player a Travel Cloak, again from Magic of Faerun. It's only 1,200gp and weighs 1lb, and it does the following:
Sheds precipitation down to the knees
becomes a 1 man tent once a day (really saves on weight)
Grants 5 points of cold resistance
provides travel rations for one each day
provides either cool spring water or sugared hot tea (can't recall the amount)
This means all you need is a bedroll, and cold weather clothing for arctic conditions (when combined with the cloak, you are virtually immune to cold damage from the environment, go right ahead and check the rules).

I also think the entire group should invest in a bag of holding, and then slowly upgrade it to a type 4 as finances permit. It's just too damn useful to ignore! Until then, buy a wagon with 2 horses. Makes it a lot easier to haul food and water, that's for sure!

Rogues should get their mitts on a Vest of Escape as soon as possible. Bonuses on open locks (free superior tools) and getting out of being tied up etc.

That said, I typically buy silk rope and a grappling hook, a backpack, 2 belt pouches, a riding horse with military saddle, bit and bridle, and a mule (for holding needed excess gear). Pitons are useful for spiking doors and climbing, a climber's kit, a potion belt (from the Forgotten Realms main book), at least 3 healing potions for emergencies, and everybody should have a dagger as an emergency weapon, even a Wizard. Flint & steel, a bullseye lantern, disguise kit, healers kit, magnifying glass, merchant's scale all grant bonuses.

In the beginning, SOMEBODY should get an everburning torch (and a lantern) and hand it to a hireling. Spellcasters need it the most, as they need range.

Interestingly, a mithril shield has no armor check penalty at all, so a rogue could use it without being proficient and still get the defense bonus.

Oh, and most Wizards should think about getting their hands on a Portable Hole, so you could put their spellbooks, a bed, etc in there and use it as a mobile apartment/laboratory. Neat idea, huh?

NNescio
2011-04-04, 05:01 PM
...Now, later on you will want to get a few low level magic items, and THAT I can help you with. First off, I suggest getting a wand of Cure Light Wounds. Gold for gold, it's the most efficient method for healing in the game. Now, you can trick that out with a diamond, as per the Magic of Faerun book. Just get ahold of a 5k diamond, and attach it to the wand. It's reusable, even if the wand itself isn't. It adds +2 to the caster level of the healing spell. Everybody should chip in on this one for the cleric. ...

A Wand of Lesser Vigor is far more efficient, and healing in the middle of combat is generally a bad idea anyway.

The Healing Belt(MIC) is better if you want something with unlimited uses (3x2d8 healing per day, or 1x3d8 +1x2d8, or 1x4d8 if you blow all daily charges at once), and it costs the same as the wand, at 750 gp. This can also fulfil your in-combat emergency healing needs.

Really, for 5k, you might as well outfit the entire party with Healing Belts. Much better bang for the buck.

If you want to automatically stabilize an ally, the Blessed Bandages are also a good choice at 10 gp, as they only take a standard action to use.

Veyr
2011-04-04, 05:04 PM
A CL 3 Cure Light Wounds heals an average of 7.5 in one round; a CL 1 Lesser Vigor 11 HP over as many rounds. If you can use the diamond trick with Lesser Vigor, it'll heal 13 over 13 rounds, which isn't likely to be worth 5,000 gp to you. Then again, I'm not convinced that the boost from 1d8+1 to 1d8+3 is worth 5k, either.

EDIT: Then again, if you're carrying around the 5,000 gp diamond for Raise Dead, might as well use it for curing until you use it, I suppose.

NNescio
2011-04-04, 05:07 PM
A CL 3 Cure Light Wounds heals an average of 7.5 in one round; a CL 1 Lesser Vigor 11 HP over as many rounds. If you can use the diamond trick with Lesser Vigor, it'll heal 13 over 13 rounds, which isn't likely to be worth 5,000 gp to you. Then again, I'm not convinced that the boost from 1d8+1 to 1d8+3 is worth 5k, either.

EDIT: Then again, if you're carrying around the 5,000 gp diamond for Raise Dead, might as well use it for curing until you use it, I suppose.

It's not exactly something that you would want to chip in to grab for the healer in the early levels though. For 5k, the whole party might as well just grab Healing Belts.

Edit:

...I also think the entire group should invest in a bag of holding, and then slowly upgrade it to a type 4 as finances permit. It's just too damn useful to ignore! Until then, buy a wagon with 2 horses. Makes it a lot easier to haul food and water, that's for sure! ...
By the time the party can afford a Type IV, casting Create Food and Water becomes rather trivial.

In any case, Handy Haversacks are usually better than a Type I (the move action to retrieve an item, lack of vulnerability to pointy objects, and reduced cost are worth the loss in storage capacity), and it's better to outfit the whole party with them instead of pooling together for a Type IV.

...a potion belt (from the Forgotten Realms main book), at least 3 healing potions for emergencies, ...
Healing Belt. Healing potions are exorbitantly expensive and generally not worth it, with the possible exception of CLW. And even then...

In the beginning, SOMEBODY should get an everburning torch (and a lantern) and hand it to a hireling. Spellcasters need it the most, as they need range.
Liquid Sunlight (Complete Scoundrel), 90 GP cheaper than the everburning torch, and can be used hands-free. Also has some nifty miscellaneous uses.

Interestingly, a mithril shield has no armor check penalty at all, so a rogue could use it without being proficient and still get the defense bonus.
Mithral buckler, no ACP, no ASF, can be used by arcane spellcasters. Provides the same shield bonus as a light shield, and leaves your shield arm free. Light shields impede the use of ranged weapons, and Heavy shields don't let you hold anything in your shield arm at all.

Oh, and most Wizards should think about getting their hands on a Portable Hole, so you could put their spellbooks, a bed, etc in there and use it as a mobile apartment/laboratory. Neat idea, huh?
Not that worth it since most wizards can teleport by the time they can afford a Portable Hole (since they are other must-haves that they should grab first). And you need a bottle of air for that trick anyway, which costs an additional 7250 GP.

That said, a portable hole has some other useful uses.

Aemoh87
2011-04-04, 05:46 PM
marbles, flour, Grell crystal

I have never seen the Grell Crystal before... where is it located and what does it do?

NNescio
2011-04-04, 05:58 PM
I have never seen the Grell Crystal before... where is it located and what does it do?

Lords of Madness, Page 114, portable 5x5-foot wall with thickness of 1-inch. Costs 10 gp, and comes in 1-lb bags of powder. Instant-just-add-water to reconstitute your wall. (or not so instant, as it takes an hour to grow to full size.)

With ranks in Craft(Crystalwork), you can shape the crystal as it grows.