PDA

View Full Version : The Iron Maiden Inn

Lord Vukodlak
2011-04-03, 03:43 PM
This is an Inn, I designed for an up coming campaign, thought I just see what people thought.

The Iron Maiden Inn has been in the Willendorf family for generations, the proprietor of Rupert Willendorf recently retired leaving the Inn to his daughter and only child Anastasia. Concerned about his daughter managing the Inn by herself he arranged a match for her with a cleric named Kain, the son of an old friend of Rupert.

Anastasia resents the idea she can't manage the Inn and its employees herself and was prepared to fight her husband tooth and nail to maintain complete control over the Inn. Her new husband Kain holds no interest in managing and Inn and told her "In no uncertain terms" that the Iron Maiden would be her responsibility.

Ground Floor
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/9821/innmainfloor.jpg (http://img717.imageshack.us/i/innmainfloor.jpg/)
Ground Floor

Second Floor
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7263/innsecondfloor.jpg (http://img69.imageshack.us/i/innsecondfloor.jpg/)
Second Floor

A: 5 gp per night (luxury room)
The finest rooms available, popular among successful merchants, adventures and newlywed couples.

B: 2 gp per night (single private rooms)
These small private rooms each have some basic amenities including a covered chamber pot in the corner.

C: 5 sp per night per bed (twelve bunked cots, so 24 cots are available)
The Cheapest accommodations available at the Iron Maiden, it can be rather crowded during the busy season but it beats the floor.

Icedaemon
2011-04-03, 07:22 PM
I am not sure what to say except, perhaps: Privies go on the outside of the house and certainly not in the middle of the building. Given how plumbing in prior eras was not nearly as neat as it is now, the second floor loo pictured would need a permanent conjuration effect (or a member of the staff ready with a bucket 24 hours per day) to not overflow with excrement and urine.

Other than that, it's a nice little inn.

Lord Vukodlak
2011-04-03, 08:20 PM
I am not sure what to say except, perhaps: Privies go on the outside of the house and certainly not in the middle of the building. Given how plumbing in prior eras was not nearly as neat as it is now, the second floor loo pictured would need a permanent conjuration effect (or a member of the staff ready with a bucket 24 hours per day) to not overflow with excrement and urine.

Other than that, it's a nice little inn.

Privy was simply the name I chose, When looking at the Goods and Services section of the SRD or PHB the implication is Inn's use chamber pots and privy sounded better than chamber pot room. So really its just a separate room for chamber pots, especially important for the twenty four people staying in room C. Or someone in one of the private rooms who'd rather not use the one provided in there room.

Coidzor
2011-04-03, 08:24 PM
Just one thing this inn needs. A reference to the Venus of Willendorf. :smallbiggrin:

Lord Vukodlak
2011-04-03, 08:45 PM
Just one thing this inn needs. A reference to the Venus of Willendorf. :smallbiggrin:

Maybe Venus could be Anastasia's middle name.

T.G. Oskar
2011-04-03, 09:13 PM

I was actually expecting a reference to Couzin Ed.

Just saying. Maybe Ed is a cousin of Anastasia (who happens to be a bard), who was recently zombified, and Anastasia looks for adventurers to deal with him?

Coidzor
2011-04-03, 09:18 PM
He seems a bit more like a ghoul than a zombie in behavior and capabilities from what I recall, but, yeah... I was wondering if it just played Iron Maiden music as the only musical entertainment...

Lord Vukodlak
2011-04-03, 09:33 PM
I was actually expecting a reference to Couzin Ed.

Just saying. Maybe Ed is a cousin of Anastasia (who happens to be a bard), who was recently zombified, and Anastasia looks for adventurers to deal with him?

Considering her new husband(Kain) if a lawful evil cleric, one would have to question who zombified Ed.

Ajadea
2011-04-04, 01:55 AM
You...put the chamber pots next to the best rooms?

You know those things smell, right?

I'd put the privies as close as you can to room C, perhaps where the bottom-right room B is. You can make up for it by shrinking the Innkeeper's Suite slightly and squeezing in another B bedroom between the A bedrooms.

Coidzor
2011-04-04, 02:04 AM
Privies shouldn't be interior, as well, they should be on an exterior wall if at all possible ...and definitely not have them over the bar. :smalleek: Just noticed that.

Um, even with plumbing, it seems like it'd make more sense for them to be over something you wouldn't want it to be easily evident there was a leak in such to the customers, possibly have them on a part of the second floor that... juts out a bit over the 1st floor with some kind of chute or pipe into part of the jacks. ...I believe that's what the area of outdoor areas marked out for doing that kind of thing were called anyway.

Though I guess it does depend upon the environs of the inn and the cultural level as well... :/

Considering her new husband(Kain) if a lawful evil cleric, one would have to question who zombified Ed.

I dunno, I guess it depends on if he's Jacinite...

And whether you have the kind of players who'd wonder if they had a woman left lonely on their hands instead...

Lord Vukodlak
2011-04-04, 02:22 AM
You...put the chamber pots next to the best rooms?

You know those things smell, right?

You know that traditionally the chamber pots would be IN the same room your sleeping in. You can check the SRD good accommodations assume a private chamber pot in your room. And the best rooms would have the shortest distance not the longest.

Privies shouldn't be interior, as well, they should be on an exterior wall if at all possible ...and definitely not have them over the bar. :smalleek: Just noticed that.

Its a room full of chamber pots and a few curtains for privacy, traditionally the chamber pots would be stored under your bed. Its simply called the privy. Its near the stairs so the maids have a shorter trip when emptying them and if someone in one of the luxury rooms would prefer not to use the chamber pot provided for them in their room they have the shortest trip.

I'd put the privies as close as you can to room C, perhaps where the bottom-right room B is. You can make up for it by shrinking the Innkeeper's Suite slightly and squeezing in another B bedroom between the A bedrooms.
Which leaves me with that formally occupied space being empty, the Inn doesn't need a 10ft wide hallway there, its unsuitable for a bedroom as there can't be a window for natural lighting and airflow.

Morph Bark
2011-04-04, 02:33 AM
...it took me a while to realize the holes in the walls weren't doors, but windows.

Lord Vukodlak
2011-04-04, 02:36 AM
...it took me a while to realize the holes in the walls weren't doors, but windows.

I envision them as double shutter windows, one set opens outward and another inward.

Morph Bark
2011-04-04, 07:16 AM
What are those weird shapes in the kitchen and up by the right wall in the tavern?

Cespenar
2011-04-04, 07:42 AM
What are those weird shapes in the kitchen and up by the right wall in the tavern?

Fireplace, I'd guess.

Lord Vukodlak
2011-04-04, 09:18 AM
Fireplace, I'd guess.

Hearth would be a more apt description but fireplace is close enough.

In case anyone is curious here is Anastasia's stats
Character, female human Exp2: CR 1;
Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 2d6+2; hp 11; Init +2;
Spd 30 ft; AC 14 (+2 Dex, +2 Leather); Touch 12, Flat-footed 12
SV Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4;
Attack: Ranged +3 Heavy Crossbow (1d10/19-20x2)
Str 8, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15.

_____________Ranks____Ability____Syn_Total
Bluff_________ +5_______+2_______+2_+9
Diplomacy_____+5_______+2_______+4_ +11
Gather Info____+5_______+2_______+2_ +9
Kno. (local)____+5_______+1__________ +6
Listen________ +5_______+1__________ +6
Prof: Cooking__ +5_______+1__________ +6
Spot_________ +5_______+1__________ +6
Sense Motive__ +5_______+1_______+2_ +8

Feats:
Rapid-Reload: Heavy Crossbow
Endurance

Sir Conkey
2011-04-04, 03:05 PM
Would the 5 Sp also be for Fireside accommodations?
I ask mainly cause I'm used to playing a Halfling Barbarian that never sleeps in a bed (which once actually foiled an assassin attack on the group. Midnight bar fight Rage)

As for the Privies location, it makes sense. Especially if they were to get some kind of cheap enchantments made to the room (pine scent for chili days). Which considering the apparent swankiness of the inn wouldn't be out of their price range I think.

Lord Vukodlak
2011-04-04, 04:21 PM
Would the 5 Sp also be for Fireside accommodations?
I ask mainly cause I'm used to playing a Halfling Barbarian that never sleeps in a bed (which once actually foiled an assassin attack on the group. Midnight bar fight Rage)

If you want to sleep on a floor near a hearth that's considered poor accommodations in the PHB or SRD and amounts to 2SP, though the Iron Maiden doesn't offer that service.

There is a small fireplace between the windows in room C, if you decided to sleep on the floor in front of it rather than the bed no one would say anything.