PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of Horrors (DM Rewards version) Death Plans

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-03, 05:12 PM
I'm running the DM Rewards version of the Tomb of Horrors soon. I'm trying to come up with a system for what happens when the players inevitably die horrible.

As far as auto-raising goes, I'm planning on having them just pop up outside the entrance with gear and whatnot intact. Should I change this? I do want to make death costly, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.

TheOasysMaster
2011-04-03, 05:14 PM
Well, is there a cleric in the party?
I'm running it at the moment too...

Perhaps, Acererak takes a level every time someone is killed and raised?

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-03, 05:21 PM
Seems too harsh. I'm looking for a happy medium.

They haven't got a Cleric. The party consists of an Artificer focusing on summons, a Drow crossbow-using Rogue, an Invoker, a Swordmage with a ritual book, and a Skirmishing Warlord.

Janus
2011-04-03, 09:47 PM
Is there still a way to get this version of Tomb of Horrors?

TheOasysMaster
2011-04-04, 08:50 AM
As far as auto-raising goes, I'm planning on having them just pop up outside the entrance with gear and whatnot intact. Should I change this? I do want to make death costly, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.

if you're gonna 'auto-raise' them, you have to do something on the side of making sure the horror aspect is maintained, and that death is taken seriously
perhaps drawing from other sources, like Cthulu's insanity chart everytime one of them are killed and is raised.

They haven't got a Cleric
Cleric NPC? Seems like something a Tomb of Horrors-bound party would need.

Gillric
2011-04-04, 03:23 PM
You could also look at applying a wound of some form similar to what is used in Dragon Age when a party member dies during combat. These would be something that would provide a penalty to a start or ability depending on the wound and that can be removed using a custom ritual maybe.

Christopher K.
2011-04-04, 06:00 PM
I'd suggest that if they die in the Tomb of Horrors, they are revived, but if they get bloodied, they have a flashback to their own death and get scared. (What sort of penalties would they take for this? Up to you.) Perhaps they sign a contract with a darker deity to return to the mortal world and each time they die, that debt grows?

Garwain
2011-04-05, 05:30 AM
Ressurect them, but each time, one finger less is regenerated.

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-07, 10:48 AM
You could also look at applying a wound of some form similar to what is used in Dragon Age when a party member dies during combat. These would be something that would provide a penalty to a start or ability depending on the wound and that can be removed using a custom ritual maybe.

Ressurect them, but each time, one finger less is regenerated.

These two, for certain. Body Horror is horrifying. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BodyHorror) Our usual game is CoC, not D&D. These two fit perfectly.

Is there still a way to get this version of Tomb of Horrors?

Yep.

Cleric NPC? Seems like something a Tomb of Horrors-bound party would need.

Nah. Any leader will do, and they've got two of them.