PDA

View Full Version : Building Harry Dresden

Laniius
2011-04-03, 05:51 PM
How would you build Harry Dresden? I'd probably make him a sorcerer or warlock myself, if you are going by the DnD stuff. He calls himself a wizard but in DnD I don't think he'd act like one. Most of his tried-and-true abilities seem to be ones he can use quite often, and when he pulls out the stops it seems to be in crafting things, use magic device, and bluffing. Thoughts?

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-03, 05:52 PM
Warmage. Done.

Ranos
2011-04-03, 05:55 PM
Warmage. Done.
The guy's more wizard than warmage. Sure he's a blaster in combat, but he's mostly an expert in thaumaturgy, tracking spells and other utility casting.

Laniius
2011-04-03, 06:34 PM
The guy's more wizard than warmage. Sure he's a blaster in combat, but he's mostly an expert in thaumaturgy, tracking spells and other utility casting.

I've always seen him as a warlock. Blasty in combat, but he has pumped UMD and is taking advantage of the imbue item or whatever it's called that allows him to create things. His tracking and stuff never seems to be an inherent ability but with items.

Grendus
2011-04-03, 07:36 PM
Erudite/Psionic Artificer.

He casts spells through sheer mental acumen and innate talent, though he does require verbal and sometimes somatic components (he can cast without them, it's just hard to get it focused into anything but raw magic). For raw blasting power, he uses his own mental reserves combined with custom items that increase his manifester level with manifestations of various schools (his staff increases his level with fire manifestations, his sword-cane with magnetic/force manifestations, etc). Psionic Artificer lets him craft psionic items for manifestations he doesn't know.

Arguably you could use the spell points rules from UA to model him with a wizard, but I think psion models him better, ironically. Since there is no vancian magic in his world, the psions would use the 'wizard' concept to describe themselves.

imperialspectre
2011-04-03, 09:06 PM
I suggest buying the Dresden Files RPG and consulting the stat block for Harry found there. :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2011-04-03, 09:07 PM
There's a thread with a lot of good suggestions here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148420).

Laniius
2011-04-03, 10:52 PM
I suggest buying the Dresden Files RPG and consulting the stat block for Harry found there. :smallbiggrin:

You're assuming I have money.

Mad Wizard
2011-04-04, 12:37 AM
It's funny, I've actually found Harry easier to stat in 4e. The at-will/encounter/daily structure really works well for him, imo, and his magic items convert well to 4e items. The problem with stating him in 3.5 is that he's too versatile to be a sorcerer or similar class, and he doesn't quite feel like a wizard because of the lack of a spellbook and the fact that he casts so many spells each day.

Eldan
2011-04-04, 02:34 AM
I'd say Warlock, with Brew Potion and Craft Wondrous Item. He has the one that allows him to use fire damage with his blast and a few custom ones: gust of wind and Find Object/Creature being the most important ones. Hellfire Warlock also comes up from time to time as a prestige class.

Morph Bark
2011-04-04, 02:38 AM
It's funny, I've actually found Harry easier to stat in 4e. The at-will/encounter/daily structure really works well for him, imo, and his magic items convert well to 4e items. The problem with stating him in 3.5 is that he's too versatile to be a sorcerer or similar class, and he doesn't quite feel like a wizard because of the lack of a spellbook and the fact that he casts so many spells each day.

What.

And you think he is easier to stat in 4E because... it's more versatile? I don't think you grasp the scope of 3.5, specifically those involving invokers and perhaps theurge classes if you need to include "dailies".