PDA

View Full Version : Druid of Decay [3.5]

SartheKobold
2011-04-03, 10:41 PM
So, I'm playing a druid that focuses on the decay aspect of nature. Large Centipede Companion, hid out inside the corpse of a Black Dragon and assembled his armor out of it, took Necrotic Cyst as a feat reflavored as Centipede Cyst.

The question is, where do I go from here? I can only throw so many centipedes into the character concept until it just becomes 'Oh. More centipedes, huh?'.

Are there any decay-oriented Druid Prestige Classes I should know about, or alternate options?

Tvtyrant
2011-04-03, 10:46 PM
Other than the Blighter, not really. Insect Swarm and Giant Vermin both match the bug route; you could also go with anti-life and anti-plant spells.

Claudius Maximus
2011-04-03, 10:48 PM
Go for fungus-themed spells too. Fungi usually decompose things they eat.

Any fungus/slime classes might be appropriate too.

SartheKobold
2011-04-03, 10:51 PM
Already made a decision to steer clear of Blighter. I don't want to ruin the earth, instead understanding that death and the consumption of the remains is a natural part of life cycles.

I was thinking Cancer Mage, but I'd prefer to stay along the Druid route if at all possible for Wildshape and Casting Progression...

SartheKobold
2011-04-04, 12:23 AM
Go for fungus-themed spells too. Fungi usually decompose things they eat.

Any fungus/slime classes might be appropriate too.

Does anyone know of any such fungus/slime classes that also advance Full Casting, or at least mostly full? It sounds like a great direction to take him once the Centipede route starts to bore people...

Otherworld Odd
2011-04-04, 03:51 AM
You would probably have to look into homebrew and get your DM to approve since there's not much to cater to your character's flavor.

Not sure if you're allowed or want to do that, but here's one: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Ambassador_of_Slime_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)

Radar
2011-04-04, 04:43 AM
Maybe consider Vermin Lord PrC? Walker in the Waste might be up your alley as well, but it's a slightly different take on the decay issue. They don't progress Wildshape AFAIK sadly.

Malbordeus
2011-04-04, 07:18 AM
feats such as the black lore of moil are pretty awsome with druids too. your decomposition spell becomes silly for start.

Eldan
2011-04-04, 07:20 AM
Eberron has the Children of Winter, druids focused on Death. There's a feat for them in the ECS that is vermin-themed, but from your description, you ight already have that.

Urpriest
2011-04-04, 09:27 AM
Planar Shepherd (Faiths of Eberron) was what I mentioned on the thread where you wanted to be a Blighter. If you pick a Plane where the denizens aren't incredibly broken (no efreets for instance) then you could be a pretty reasonable character. If you're not in Eberron, look for a plane that fits your outlook.

Talontar Blightlord (Unapproachable East) is actually pretty good. You lose out on wildshape progression, but it's 8/10 casting, and if you only stick in it for 5 levels you get full casting out of it. Those five levels would give you immunity to disease, a domain full of fairly decent spells, a template for your animal companion, a disease touch attack, and the ability to control blightspawned creatures. It also frees you from your weapon and armor restrictions.

ShriekingDrake
2011-04-04, 09:52 AM
Consider the "Wild Reaper" druid variant from Dragon Magazine, Issue #311, p. 55. It's got a death as a part of the cycle of life theme where killing is a means of rebirth.

Tokuhara
2011-04-04, 02:41 PM
Planar Shepherd (Faiths of Eberron) was what I mentioned on the thread where you wanted to be a Blighter. If you pick a Plane where the denizens aren't incredibly broken (no efreets for instance) then you could be a pretty reasonable character. If you're not in Eberron, look for a plane that fits your outlook.

Talontar Blightlord (Unapproachable East) is actually pretty good. You lose out on wildshape progression, but it's 8/10 casting, and if you only stick in it for 5 levels you get full casting out of it. Those five levels would give you immunity to disease, a domain full of fairly decent spells, a template for your animal companion, a disease touch attack, and the ability to control blightspawned creatures. It also frees you from your weapon and armor restrictions.

I second blightlord in cahoots with something devious like Vermin lord. You are a living plague. Nuff Said