PDA

View Full Version : Two dragon-related questions

Marnath
2011-04-04, 01:19 AM
Hey guys. What's the CR of a young adult brown dragon? The one from Monsters of Faerun?

Also, I heard about a way to swap out a dragon's sorceror casting for initiator levels, or druid levels but I don't have dragons of eberron. What exactly do you have to give up for one of those?

Yora
2011-04-04, 03:39 AM
Without having the book myself, I assume that you just switch the sorcerer spellcasting to druid spellcasting. The description of dragon simply says "cast spells like a sorcerer of level x", so just change it to "cast spells like a druid of level x".

HunterOfJello
2011-04-04, 04:24 AM
Young Adult Brown Dragon is CR 10 according to the Draconomicon (pg 288).

~

As far as the Druid thing goes, I know there's a sovereign archetype for true dragons in the Dragons of Eberron book called Child of Eberron (pg 30) which teaches the dragon Druidic, Adds Survival to their class skills and allows them to cast spells from the druid spell list as arcane spells.

From the same source there's a sovereign archetype called Wyrm of War (pg 31) that gives the suggestion that a DM may allow the Wyrm of War to learn maneuvers and stances from the Tiger Claw discipline. The dragons sorcerer level = their initiator level and to learn a maneuver or stance they have to permanently sacrifice a sorcerer spell slot of the same level.

The normal Wyrm of War bonuses are probably better for a character. They gain proficiency with all simple and martial weapons, all armor and shields, and for every 4 HD they get a bonus feat from the fighter list or any combat related feat tied to draconic abilities.

~

Side Note: I was really surprised to find a reference to the Tome of Battle in another D&D book. I thought that all info on maneuvers was limited to the ToB. Very interesting.

Telonius
2011-04-04, 07:34 AM
From the SRD:
Some dragons can also cast spells from the cleric list or cleric domain lists as arcane spells.

Considering the large number of domains available, this probably covers most of the Druid list that you'd actually want to learn. (Unless there's some reason it's important for these spells to actually be Divine rather than Arcane?)

Marnath
2011-04-04, 01:03 PM
Cool, thanks guys. :smallsmile:

Dusk Eclipse
2011-04-04, 02:12 PM
~

Side Note: I was really surprised to find a reference to the Tome of Battle in another D&D book. I thought that all info on maneuvers was limited to the ToB. Very interesting.

The only other reference to ToB I've seen on another WotC book is in a MM (probably V) which states that the favoured class of the Arcadian Avenger is the crusader, but that is.