PDA

View Full Version : [HackMaster]Anybody?

Morghen
2011-04-04, 08:49 AM
Anybody here play?

Uh...

I'm a huge fan.

And...

Everybody should check it out if they don't know it.

hamlet
2011-04-04, 12:28 PM
Which edition?

JediSoth
2011-04-04, 03:52 PM
I tried to play in a Learn to Hack session at Gary Con II, but we spent so much time on character generation that I had to bail for a scheduled event in which I played AD&D with Frank Mentzer.

I have the HackMaster Basic book, Frandor's Keep, and the PDF of the new Hacklopedia of Beasts. I like a lot of the concepts, but would need to play a few sessions of it to determine whether or not I really like it as a game; the rules can get complicated, and the count-up system is really hard to grasp if no one at the table is familiar with it. It seems like there's a lot of stuff to track for being "old school." Hopefully, HackMaster Advanced (when it comes out) will be fairly modular; I would be interested in it if the combat rules were simplified.

LibraryOgre
2011-04-04, 06:07 PM
I own the Hackmaster: Basic book, and am interested in playing, but it also looks like a LOT of work as a system. Every time I think about it, I tend to go "Eh... I'll just do C&C."

Hackmaster 4e I sold when I realized that a complete set of monster books was going to run more than $100.

hamlet
2011-04-05, 07:19 AM
I've been interested in starting up a Hackmaster game. Just can't find any suckers. Er. . . players.

Maybe "victims" is the term?

:smallbiggrin:

Morghen
2011-04-05, 08:25 AM
Which edition?The good one. 4th Ed.

HackMaster Basic is complicated.Yeah. And kinda dumb in a lot of places. Healing is mostly done by sitting around and waiting for your wounds to knit.

HackMaster 4th Ed is the best "swords and magic" RPG ever printed, for my money. It's what 2nd Ed AD&D should have been.

Greylond
2011-04-05, 09:04 PM
I GM and Play HM4.

I am also a Playtester for HMb/Advanced HM.

Greylond
2011-04-05, 09:06 PM
I own the Hackmaster: Basic book, and am interested in playing, but it also looks like a LOT of work as a system. Every time I think about it, I tend to go "Eh... I'll just do C&C."

Hackmaster 4e I sold when I realized that a complete set of monster books was going to run more than $100.

HMb isn't all that hard. It plays a lot better than you'd think at first glance.

For my 4th Edition HoBs, I got mine the old fashion way...

...I got them as swag at a Con. When K&Co is cranking out product they usually support Conventions of all sizes with some good swag. Also, for HM4, you could get by with the hold AD&D monster books. Just add 20hp kicker to most monsters and you were good to go. I ran my HM4 game for a year without any of the Monster books. Just had the PHB and GMG.

Greylond
2011-04-05, 09:08 PM
Yeah. And kinda dumb in a lot of places. Healing is mostly done by sitting around and waiting for your wounds to knit.

HackMaster 4th Ed is the best "swords and magic" RPG ever printed, for my money. It's what 2nd Ed AD&D should have been.

Actually, HMb came out really good, IMO. Healing wounds doesn't take all that long if you have a good healer in the group. HMb rewards good teamwork and setting up the character group ahead of time to complement each other's skills/abilities.

Morghen
2011-04-05, 10:09 PM
Healing wounds doesn't take all that long if you have a good healer in the group.INFIDEL! DIE!

Just kidding. I was imagining for just a second that this was the Kenzer boards.

I'm part of the Chattanooga group. You should check out this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193909).

Back to Hack: We PTed Basic and Advanced and generally hated most of what was going on. It just didn't feel the same and that was outside of any mechanical stuff.

Greylond
2011-04-06, 05:51 AM
Yea, I know your GM. Your GM stole my GM from Memphis!

Again, I liked how HMb came out and like the stuff coming out for Advanced.

hamlet
2011-04-06, 07:33 AM
Yea, I know your GM. Your GM stole my GM from Memphis!

Again, I liked how HMb came out and like the stuff coming out for Advanced.

Yeah, I like HMB. I really do. But I'm hesitant to really push starting it as a game, at least until I get my hands on some more stuff. I feel like I'm playing with half a game since I know a lot about the setting, and that drives me in crazy little circles. Otherwise, very good game all things considered.

When it comes to Kalamar, though, what I really want to do is run AD&D if I can find some victims. At least until, as I said, I see some more stuff that will let me realize the visions I have for the setting.

Greylond
2011-04-06, 06:26 PM
HMb and what has been released in KODT and the HackJournals has plenty of stuff to take PCs up to 10th level. The recommended number of sessions is approx 3 per level, so you're talking about 30 sessions. That's a good part of a year's worth of gaming right there. Plus you can use any of the previously published KoK stuff is ready to use for it.