PDA

View Full Version : Procrastination. My friend and foe.

Ytaker
2011-04-04, 01:08 PM
My face is as blank as the word document in front of me. I stare at it, willing word to appear. I've done things like this before, but this piece on judicial relationships in spain due tomorrow is killing me. "Type, damn you". asdsdg. Better than nothing, I guess.

Convinced I need a short break to rejuvenate myself I pull up my mobile and start texting my friends. A girl I like texts me a video spoofing science shows. After watching a few videos I find a video of clay people dancing around and send it to them. Soon we're all trying by text and facebook to up each other and send the best link. We chat, laugh, skype, mock our northern friend's silly pronounciation of bath. The hours slip by as I laugh into the night... crap, ten hours till it's due in.

And I'm happy. I'll only be able to do subpar work because I delayed, but I spent time with my friends, I made my social relationships better. I'm happy I procrastinated. I value friends over school work. Laziness is good. Laziness makes you happier.

Has anyone else had this feeling? Or any other stories to share on procrastination.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2011-04-04, 01:12 PM
Man, I could talk about procrastination for ages. I'll get back to you with my thoughts on it tomorrow though...

Miscast_Mage
2011-04-04, 02:48 PM
I would talk about procrastination, but I have a project due on wednesday that I haven't even started yet.:smalleek: I just cannot get work done at home. Hell, I leave the house by 6:35 every morning to get to college early 'cause that's the only way I'll ever get work done! And of course, I'm going to walk the dogs now. Yes, I end up doing work to avoid work. No, it is not logical or in my best interest and I don't know why I do this and what is this I don't even ackpzlgck.

Helanna
2011-04-04, 03:12 PM
These threads pop up every once in a while, and they always make me feel bad because there is inevitably something I'm supposed to be doing.

In this case, I have a Physics lab due tomorrow, a final copy of a project proposal due in Writing, and I need to make a working map editor by Wednesday - though to be fair, I can't work on that until tomorrow, since the program I need won't install on my computer. :smallannoyed:

And of course, I had to miss my classes today and spend the day running around after rushing my dog to the vet after she got hit by a car. She's home now, and really she's fine, but she won't let me leave the family room . . . this week's gonna be tough.

Mauve Shirt
2011-04-04, 03:30 PM
I'm on the forums procrastinating on 2 papers. But only one of those papers has been assigned, and I haven't received my proposal back. The other one is a theoretical paper present only in the syllabus.
I'm also procrastinating on all of the art things that I want to do. I'm too lazy to be an artist.

Ytaker
2011-04-04, 03:59 PM
There are many of these threads, but none so far about how awesome procrastination is because it lets you do things you actually care about.

On doing work to avoid work- We do lesser work which isn't as frustrating to avoid doing bigger work. That's because emotionally we don't want to do the work but logically we do. Hence, your emotions make a compromise with the logical part of your brain and do something mildly unpleasant to avoid the logical part guilting out the emotional part.

The best time to get house cleaning done is always just before a report is due in.

Muffin?
2011-04-04, 06:11 PM
WOO! I'm Procrastinating RIGHT NOW! :biggrin:

Moff Chumley
2011-04-04, 07:13 PM
Procrastination's not a problem, it's a lifestyle choice.

The Linker
2011-04-04, 07:20 PM
I get that feeling whenever I work on more of my Worms LP videos rather than do important work. It's like, yeah, due dates are creeping up, but dammit this is something I'm going to come back to for years to come!

H Birchgrove
2011-04-07, 01:22 PM
Man, I could talk about procrastination for ages. I'll get back to you with my thoughts on it tomorrow though...

The same for me. :smallsigh: :smalltongue: :smallwink: