PDA

View Full Version : [any] secret societies/guilds

Bagelz
2011-04-04, 01:17 PM
This is all fluff so is not game specific. I am using it in a 4e dnd game right now.

I recently sent out a questionnaire to my players asking for more detailed background information, and character's goals, and one of my players suggested that she was interested in joining a thieves/assassins guild. I find this a little boring and decided that a secret society would be more interesting.
Since I've spent the time to do the background work(I spent a bit more time than I first intended), I figured I'd share it so others could use it.

As references
I used my experiences in a collegiate social fraternity, a service organization (OA), and various ceremonies I found online from non-secret social fraternities and professional honors societies and a creepy website supposedly about pagan rituals that I had to stop reading because it was a bit disturbing.

Most secret societies have a motto or principles that their society is founded on (these are letters in greek societies). For example a US national honors society, Phi Beta Kappa (Philosophia Biou Kubernetes) means “The love of wisdom is the guide of life.”

for my assassin's guild I chose the principles Secrecy and Duty.

In the mid 1800's initiation into a secret society consisted of reading the constitution/bylaws and having the new members agree to them. We've come a long more interesting way since then (one fraternity's history of how their ritual evolved starts “merely taking a pledge and reading the constitution seemed altogether too cold and barren”.

There are generally two steps(ceremonies/rituals) to becoming a member (honors societies still have 1).
1 I will refer to as induction.

during induction we generally have (and often, but not always, in this order):
an introduction speech: "we are gathered here to meet new prospective members. I call this meeting to order. etc"
presentation of prospectives (the prospective members are brought in single file in front of existing members)
Sometimes there is an acceptance of prospectives by the members, sometimes there is acceptance of offer by prospectives, sometimes both. "members, we present to you these prospective members for a trial period, do you accept them""So say we all" / "prospective _name_ you have been asked to join XYZ secret society, do you accept?""I do"
An explanation of the society, that fact that its a trial period and membership is in the future, what the trial period entails, or what the prospective member's roll is as a trail member (most US collegiate social fraternities have an education program about history, the BSA Order of the Arrow has a silent work day)
sometimes there will be a preview/explanation of a future initiation.
There is generally a closing remark, then a party "I am proud to present the trial members. meeting adjourned!"

2 after a trial period full membership is attained at what I will call Initiation

During initiation (and again the order may vary)
opening address/invocation
presentation of trail members
sometimes credentials "who seeks entrance?""the trail members""are they proven members?""No but I vouch for them[sometimes secret signal here]""Proceed"
sometimes a last chance for trial members to back out "all those who wish to continue step forward"
acceptance by members "Do the current members accept all of the trial members to full membership?""so say we all"
Explanation of secrets/history/principles/mottoes/ reason for being/ handshakes/passwords etc
new members take oath "repeat after me/ I state your name / do swear...."
presentation of insignia (pins/badges for social fraternities, sashes/ brooches/ fez hat etc)
closing address "I now present the new members of XYZ"
after party

that is what happens, its pretty much the same between all secret societies. its boring and a bit legal sounding
example boring induction:

INDUCTION
LEADER: This meeting of the Masks, founded upon Duty and Secrecy , is hereby called to order. Is there any old business?
[waits for an awkward silence]
Is there any new business?
MEMBER#1: We have prospective new members.
LEADER: Let us Proceed with Induction.
We are gathered at this appointed hour to add to our membership those found worthy and compatible with our goals and aspirations.
MEMBER#1 [leaves the room and comes back with a line of people]

LEADER: YOU have been invited to induction, to start a path toward earning membership into our sacred society, a great honor bestowed to few.
The Keeper of the Code will now read our bylaws.

Keeper: The Name of our organization shall be The Secret Mask Society, hereafter "Masks"
We were formed for the purpose of ...[some history stuff]
As our motto the Masks adopt "Duty and Secrecy".
Membership shall be determined by a majority vote of quorum for trial period and unanimous vote of quorum for permanent membership. Quorum shall consist of all available active members notified no less than 24hours previous, and not less than 7 members. Membership shall only be terminated upon death. Members shall be subject to discipline of the Masks.
We shall provide benefit to its members in the form of available aid provided such aid furthers the purposes of the Masks.

Leader: after hearing our bylaws does membership reaffirm.

ALL: So say we all!.

Leader: Prospective members, you have now heard of our goals, purpose, and principals. If any of you do not wish to proceed further, please take your leave now.
[waits to make sure no one leaves, or waits till said person leaves completely]

Before you lies a period of trial, during which your worthiness to enter our society will be affirmed. You must maintain secrecy without question, and you will be asked to demonstrate your duty to the Masks and to the world. Upon completion, those found worthy, shall be invited back for initiation into the Secret Mask Society.

Please raise your right hand and repeat after me:
"I solemnly swear /
to keep secret/
the proceedings and further actions/
of the Secret Mask Society, /
to help in there purposes /
In the hopes of becoming a Mask/"

You may lower your hand
Esteemed masks, with the order of this day complete it is my pleasure to present to you the newest neophytes of the Secret Mask Society.
all: CHEER

Bagelz
2011-04-04, 01:18 PM
the fun part is the how.
The symbolism (7 candles representing the 7 trials of a new member/ a hug or handshake or being physically tied together representing brotherhood/ a book displayed representing knowledge or learning/ constant shush'ing representing secrecy / the story of a mythological dog representing loyalty / preforming a task representing duty / visiting stations all make your ritual unique and memorable)

So I want to exemplify secrecy and duty.
for secrecy I want darkness and shushing, and a mask, for duty I will explain tasks that need to be accomplished during the trial period and book of subterfuge/history that will need to be studied. This the first of two ceremonies, so they prospectives will be paraded around the room the once, in a circle representing the world they are trying to preserve. The society's purpose will be to preserve the culture they feel is being lost to orcs/goblins/ newfound religions.

A little background. I'm using Earthsea as a setting, put about 400years past the last book. In that time interloping races and gods have come into the world, and the wizard's school has lost control of magic. I chose

Secret Mask Society Induction

walking through the main strip of the market you notice a cloth mask hanging on a wall that looks very similar to the on your calling card. When you approach the merchant she pretends not to know what you are you are referring to, refusing to look at the mask. You decide to show her your card, and state that looks just like this[pointing at the picture on your card]. She refuses to look at it instead staring into your eyes "I don't know what you mean"
Suddenly a small boy snatches the card from your hand and takes off up come stairs around the corner.
As soon as you turn the corner to chase the boy, a thin dwarven man is in the way and hands your card back. "Lia Ren?" (thats a PC's name)

The thin dwarf leads you through a maze of alleys and into an underground passage you can only assume is a dried up sewer. You are lead to a group of other quiet but confused people people of different races and styles of dress. The dwarf tells you to stay here and stay silent, and he disappears through a nearby door.
You can hear a very feint hissing, like water being poured on hot sauna rocks, or a gas leaking from a container.
through the cracks in the wall you can hear a voice faintly

VOICE 1: "This meeting of the Masks, founded upon Duty and Secrecy , is hereby called to order. Is there any old business?
[waits for an awkward silence]
Is there any new business?"

Voice 2: "We have prospective new members."

Voice 1: "Then let us Proceed with Induction.
Fellow Masks we are gathered at this appointed hour to add to our membership those found worthy and compatible with our goals and aspirations."

a large man, likely human, wearing a cloth mask covering his entire face appears from the door that the dwarf entered. He quietly but firmly says "Take your right hand and Place it on the right shoulder of person in front of you". He waits for everyone to do as they are told, and the gnome behind you seems to have to stretch to reach your shoulder. "Follow me Silently." The man slowly leads the group of you, 8 in all, into a dark room, the only light coming from a couple candles held by more men in masks sitting behind a large wooden table. The hissing is louder. You are led around the room in a full circle and finally stopped in the middle in a straight line. The man leading you gestures to face the table, and then takes a seat. As your eyes adjust you notice many other people seated around the exterior of the room.

The man seated at the center of the table begins to speak, it is the same voice you heard through the walls, though much more clear.
LEADER: YOU have been invited to induction into the Secret Mask Society, to start a path toward earning membership into our sacred society, a great honor bestowed to few. During a trial period you will be expected to maintain complete secrecy and to demonstrate duty and loyalty to our order.
a half-ling from the front of your line: "So what does th.."[cut off as the hissing increases to "sssSSSILENCSSSSssecrecysssssss" in a compliment of voices]
you now realize that the hissing, or at least part of it, is coming from the people in the background.

Second Speaker: [stands up and clears throat] We, the Masks, were founded upon the principals of Secrecy and Duty. It is our honorable Duty in life to preserve the customs, social order, and history of our great world. We were founded in 1054 by a group of formerly great Men of Power when the Art was fading from the world. They noticed a great change in the cosmos and wished to stop the force before it ruined the world they loved. Not being able to rely on the Art they once commanded, the wizards turned to manpower. They organized the best, most loyal and dutiful, men and women on Ea, and swore to watch and preserve the world lest it be lost. They were sworn to secrecy lest the order itself become a target for ruin. You may notice we hold no roll book, as given names hold little meaning. We find it our duty to defend our customs and culture by thwarting those powers who seek to destroy it, by collecting and keeping historical knowledge, and by defending those who hold their own culture dear. While we may not always act in the noblest of manner, we always hold the noblest of intention.

LEADER: The Keeper of the Code will now read our bylaws.

Keeper: The Name of our organization shall be The Secret Mask Society, hereafter "Masks"
We were formed for the purpose of preserving the customs, history and social order of Ea, also known as Earthsea, in order to stop the degradation and deterioration thereof, To establish and maintain secrecy of our operations for the protection and preservation of the Society and its members, To deter the interloping deities into our world, and uphold the traditions of our respective cultures.
As our motto the Masks adopt "Duty and Secrecy".
We hold the Duty to help one another in all ability as long as such action does not interfere with our higher purposes.
Membership shall be determined by a majority vote of quorum for trial period and unanimous vote of quorum for permanent membership. Quorum shall consist of all available active members notified no less than 24hours previous, and not less than 7 members. Membership shall only be terminated upon death. Members shall be subject to discipline of the Masks.
We shall provide benefit to its members in the form of available aid provided such aid furthers the purposes of the Masks.

Leader: after hearing our bylaws does membership reaffirm.

ALL: So say we all!.

Leader: We will not be forgotten!

Leader: [turns to you] Prospective members, you have now heard of our goals, purpose, and principals. If any of you do not wish to proceed further, please take your leave now.
[waits to make sure no one leaves, or waits till said person leaves completely]
Before you lies a period of trial, during which your worthiness to enter our society will be affirmed. You must maintain secrecy without question, and you will be asked to demonstrate your duty to the Masks and to the world. Upon completion, those found worthy, shall be invited back for initiation into the Secret Mask Society.
Please raise your right hand and repeat after me:
"I solemnly swear /
to keep secret/
the proceedings and further actions/
of the Secret Mask Society, /
to help in there purposes /
for the preservation of Ea,/
to prove my loyalty/
duty/
and worthiness,/
In the hopes of becoming a Mask/"
You may lower your hand

We now present to you our body of knowledge, the untitled book, and the symbol of our society, the mask. This book contains a collection of esoteric knowledge forgotten my many, but maintained by the society. Learn from it, and learn were we came from. We will not be forgotten!
[a masked person from the crowd hands you a leather bound book with no writing on the cover]
This mask [the leader holds up a light colored piece of cloth, which basically amounts to a blindfold with eye holes cut into it] represents membership into our ranks, and the secrecy required for our protection. It is not a full mask because you are not yet full members.
[the same masked person hands you a piece of cloth] [slight pause while the masks are handed out] Keep this on your person until the day of initiation, and remember the Masks are everywhere and willing to help one another.

[Leader turns to the spectators] Esteemed masks, with the order of this day complete it is my pleasure to present to you the newest neophytes of the Secret Mask Society. Let nothing rob us of our freedoms, let nothing destroy our bonds.

all: CHEER

Leader: please join us for a celebratory feast.

space reserved for Secret Mask Society Initiation