PDA

View Full Version : Planar Shenanigans

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-04, 02:38 PM
Playground, regale us with a story.

Tell us of the times you used Gate to dramatic, cheesy, amazing, or hilarious effect.

Tell us of the time you summoned a Solar for the explicit purpose of kicking him in the wossnames, then seeing how long you could doge a slaying arrow.

Tell us of how you opened a gate as the BBEG was charging at you, warping him to the Elemental Plane of Fish.

Tell us of how you gated a number of your planar allies into hell in order to engage a vile Pit Fiend general in pitched combat in the bowels of Baator.

Tell us of your shenanigans.

gbprime
2011-04-04, 02:54 PM
My players once took out an army's general with planar fu. Demonic army was attacking a city, Marlith was in command, leading from the front. The players were 6th level, so it was definately a "you should flee now" scenario. But they didn't.

They'd recently pooled their money and bought a Portable Hole for party use, and were using it to store fine furniture and other bulky things they would loot. So the Urban Druid takes the folded up portable hole, hands it to his animated object companion, and then dumps out the party's small Bag of Holding, also handing it to the companion.

They engage the command unit of the army in the street, and the animated object rolls in, stuffs the folded up hole inside the bag and... FOOP! The general and two of her retinue go skydiving in the Astral Plane, along with the poor animated object, a percentage of the party's wealth and an entire mahogany bedroom set.

Took that Marlith four months to get back to the prime material, and BOY was she pissed... but that's another story.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-04, 03:16 PM
That's some serious je ne sais quoi.

I hope you guys were prepared the next time she caught up with you, heh.

Alleran
2011-04-04, 07:09 PM
Tell us of the times you used Gate to dramatic, cheesy, amazing, or hilarious effect.
Funnily enough, this happened once. We were playing in a world that used the Greek pantheon, and Zeus gave an oath to my character by the River Styx that the character could at any time have a single favour from him, and he would grant it (though it couldn't be ascension to full divine rank). For reference, if a Greek god swears by the Styx, they have to keep the oath or be expelled from Olympus for a period of time. Most of the others used their favours, but I decided to hold mine in reserve (I'm stingy like that).

Anyway, we were eventually up against the BBEG (BBEG was about 23rd level or so, and we were about 17-18 owing to how we'd missed a lot of side stuff, so there was a bit of a mismatch; he was a follower of the Titans and had DvR 0 as a hero-deity, I think, and was trying to free them from Tartarus), and quite frankly we were getting our asses handed to us. Of the five players, only two of us (me, the squishy wizard, and a Cleric of Ares / Warpriest) were still standing in the fight, and the Cleric was going to be the next one to die (and I was pretty sure I was going to follow soon after). So I burned the XP to cast Gate (usually, I don't cast Gate - or any summoning spells at all, really - since I hate spending XP on spells and just like the planewalking part of it). The DM asked me what I was calling, since this was a bit out of left field for me.

I told him Zeus, and handed the Deities and Demigods book to him. I was calling in that favour I was owed, and demanding Proxy status from the King of the Pantheon.

Using those SDAs was glorious, especially when I started tossing Mass Divine Blasts (described as the thunderbolt of Zeus) and lightning storms around.

faceroll
2011-04-04, 10:18 PM
I had a 10th level cleric and a 9th lvl wizard cohort, and we were about to engage in a fight with a possessed sorceress on top of a tower. I had a candle of invocation I was using to get maximized cleric spells (in 3.0, this was awesome, with +5 bonuses to stats), when I read the line about using it for Gate.

So I Gated in a Pit Fiend.
My DM then was like "yeah, the pit fiend decides to leave." And then the sorceress used a fireball, a quickened fireball, and a hasted fireball to kill my wizard and severely injure the party before teleporting out. Somehow.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-04-04, 11:40 PM
At the end of one campaign, I accidentally the whole world via a misused Maze spell.

So, the entire campaign, we've been collecting plot artifacts, each with a different, world changing effect. One raised barbaric gnolls into an organized war machine, another was used by a master of metal to just be a monster. The last one we were trying to protect had animated and brought sentience to a golem. As we couldn't simply "unplug" it nor let this golem fall into the BBEG's readily approaching hands, I simply figured, "Well, I can keep in safe extra-dimensionally while we take care of the approaching, otherwordly darkness and its forces." The DM, being the crazy man he was, had accounted for this one-in-a-million possibility, so instead of the golem with magically powered gem being popped to a temporary storage, the entire world began to fade away into my maze spell while we took care of the BBEG.

The bad news was that everything died, but we did end up becoming deities in the epilogue.

ffone
2011-04-05, 12:13 AM
My players once took out an army's general with planar fu. Demonic army was attacking a city, Marlith was in command, leading from the front. The players were 6th level, so it was definately a "you should flee now" scenario. But they didn't.

They'd recently pooled their money and bought a Portable Hole for party use, and were using it to store fine furniture and other bulky things they would loot. So the Urban Druid takes the folded up portable hole, hands it to his animated object companion, and then dumps out the party's small Bag of Holding, also handing it to the companion.

They engage the command unit of the army in the street, and the animated object rolls in, stuffs the folded up hole inside the bag and... FOOP! The general and two of her retinue go skydiving in the Astral Plane, along with the poor animated object, a percentage of the party's wealth and an entire mahogany bedroom set.

Took that Marlith four months to get back to the prime material, and BOY was she pissed... but that's another story.

I know another group did this with a Tarrasque.

It's a good source of loopholes: take something obviously intended to work AGAINST the PCs (like a no-save "don't do this" penalty), and turn it around.

At the end of one campaign, I accidentally the whole world via a misused Maze spell.

So, the entire campaign, we've been collecting plot artifacts, each with a different, world changing effect. One raised barbaric gnolls into an organized war machine, another was used by a master of metal to just be a monster. The last one we were trying to protect had animated and brought sentience to a golem. As we couldn't simply "unplug" it nor let this golem fall into the BBEG's readily approaching hands, I simply figured, "Well, I can keep in safe extra-dimensionally while we take care of the approaching, otherwordly darkness and its forces." The DM, being the crazy man he was, had accounted for this one-in-a-million possibility, so instead of the golem with magically powered gem being popped to a temporary storage, the entire world began to fade away into my maze spell while we took care of the BBEG.

The bad news was that everything died, but we did end up becoming deities in the epilogue.

Um, what? Your DM declared that a Maze spell could suck in the whole world? Am I missing something?

Ormur
2011-04-05, 12:47 AM
The party barbarian was lost in the plane of dreams after going insane. We teamed up with a NPC cleric of Kord that could cast plane shift and mounted a rescue operation. We knew the plane was unpredictable and the DM rolled his luck die and declared that we had arrived in a pitch black ocean out of which a kraken appears.

The kraken proceeds to grapple us and renders the cleric unconscious and kills my wizard character after I made some stupid decision and failed to one-shot him. The Druid however wildshapes into a giant squid and because of the penalty the kraken took for grappling the rest of us to death manages to crush it to death, he outgrapples the kraken.

Again the DM rolls his die and suddenly we appear in an arena where we're greeted by Kord himself. It turns out he's so impressed with the wrestling match that he offers to reincarnates my character without level loss (as a goblin with the chaotic-good-native-outsider subtype) and then sends us back so we can complete the mission.

We found the barbarian after concentrating a bit and fighting some wraiths and when we got back to the material plane she ran of with the cleric (the player had to leave the group). It may not be planar shenanigans per se but it's certainly shenanigans while on another plane.

faceroll
2011-04-05, 01:50 AM
Haha, droods are so ridiculous. "What, we're being grappled by a monstrous, blasphemous evil from the deeps, larger than a ship? Guess I'll turn into one of those, too."

Safety Sword
2011-04-05, 02:03 AM
Haha, droods are so ridiculous. "What, we're being grappled by a monstrous, blasphemous evil from the deeps, larger than a ship? Guess I'll turn into one of those, too."

You would if you could, too. :smallamused:

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-06, 05:54 PM
It may not be planar shenanigans per se but it's certainly shenanigans while on another plane.

That certainly counts, haha. How'd the goblin thing work out for you?

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-04-06, 06:08 PM
Um, what? Your DM declared that a Maze spell could suck in the whole world? Am I missing something?

It was less "Maze hits the whole world" and more "By trying to separate the world from these artifacts, stuff gets real and the fabric of the world begins to break apart."

LOTRfan
2011-04-06, 06:18 PM
At the end of a campaign, my players faced an epic wizard who taught himself an epic version of Abyssal Maw.

For those of you without the Fiendish Codex, the regular spell is a 8-9th level spell (I don't remember which) that opens a gate x ft./class level, and out of it comes a massive tentacled Obyrith. His version continually grows until it consumes the whole world (as long as he concentrates on it), and opens directly in the middle of Demogorgon's throne room. This specific Demogorgon was similar to the one in FC1, except with triple racial Hit Dice, twenty levels of Fighter, and twenty levels of Barbarian.

I expected an epic fight to the death, with the PCs winning before it was too late. Instead, they realized something; this guy is an epic-level wizard. What chance did a party of 27th level characters (whose sole caster was a sorcerer) have against an epic wizard of unknown level (he was 32nd)? They wait for him to start the spell, and they all work together to bull rush him into the portal (also falling into it in the process). The bull rush broke his concentration, and the portal closed behind them.

They were torn apart within seconds, but the BBEG didn't prepare planeshift, either.

Ormur
2011-04-06, 09:40 PM
That certainly counts, haha. How'd the goblin thing work out for you?

It was actually pretty neat, lost the con minus for being an elf and got increased AC and to hit for being small. My character wasn't too happy about nobody recognizing him though. Since then he's been killed and reincarnated twice (without level loss fortunately) and now he's a more respectable gnome.

Next stop is the fortress of an ancient dragon that took my spellbook, charmingly located on a demiplane where it rains acid.