PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Books sell well?

Thefurmonger
2011-04-04, 03:41 PM
Not sure if this is the right place for this but it's (kinda) about 3.0/3.5

So I am thinking of getting rid of all my old 3.X books.

Do they have any value?

I have seen people talk about how hard some are to find these days.

Has anyone had any experence selling/buying 3.X books?

all are in what I would call good used condition.

Corrik
2011-04-04, 03:48 PM
First thing I would say is give a list of the books you are looking to sell.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-04, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I've bought a ton. It works out generally well. A few are worth more than cover, some are worth less...but all in all, they should bring you in a few bucks. Check out ebay for a rough guide to prices.

Aemoh87
2011-04-04, 03:54 PM
I find the opposite. Most books are not worth much at all. There are a few gems that people enjoy but if you are patient I am sure you will find a buyer.

Amnestic
2011-04-04, 03:54 PM
Do they have any value?

Depends on the book, condition, and fluctuation. I would look at Amazon and eBay prices if you want a rough guess. I believe the costs of 3.5 books are going up due to increasing rarity without continued production, meaning that holding onto them could possibly turn into an investment for the future, but again it depends on the books. I hear SpC and MIC are quite highly prized, along with the central Core and the Completes.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-04, 04:01 PM
I find the opposite. Most books are not worth much at all. There are a few gems that people enjoy but if you are patient I am sure you will find a buyer.

Core and Completes are pretty much all worth something, and will be purchased. They aren't all cover price, certainly, but you can sell them.

Spell, Magic Item compendium are both valuable. There's another coupla books that are also popular, and exceed cover price, but the only books that are actually fairly hard to sell/very low in price are the ones that are almost entirely pointless. 3.0 stuff that was directly replaced by 3.5 books, for instance. The 3.0 DMG is definitely going to get a significantly lower price.

And condition definitely matters.

Firechanter
2011-04-04, 04:17 PM
In my experience, the PHB fetches very good prices (depending on condition of course), DMG is somewhat cheaper, and MMs are cheaper again.
Tome of Battle is pretty rare and often expensive, at least in Europe; I was lucky to get mine for 25€ in as-good-as-new condition. I've seen that one go for 40€.

Ashram
2011-04-04, 04:53 PM
It all depends on what condition they're in, whether or not there's heaps of writing on the inside, that kinda thing.

One thing that kinda bugs me is people trying to sell, say, MIC that's in decent condition at full price, which I want to say is like $35 or $40.

Thefurmonger
2011-04-04, 04:58 PM
First thing I would say is give a list of the books you are looking to sell.

Ah right, my bad.

Eberron Campaign Setting
Complete Adventurer
Complete Warrior
Complete Divine
Complete Arcane
Races of Stone
Races of Destiny
Races of The Wild
Players Handbook 3.5
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Frostburn
DMG 3.5
Dracomonican (Sp?)
Manual of the Planes
Unearthed Arcana
Libris Mortis
Savage Species
Spell Compendium
Monster Manual I 3.5
Planar Handbook
Book of Vile Darkness
Book of Exalted Deeds
Players Handbook 3.0
DMG 3.0
MM I 3.0
Song and Silence
Stronghold Builders guide
Masters of the Wild
Sword and Fist
3.5 Players handbook Colectors Edition (In plastic)

ericgrau
2011-04-04, 05:43 PM
You can search for them on ebay or amazon to see what others are selling them for. As already pointed out the more popular books fetch a good price. I heard someone was recently listing his own large collection for about $900 total before fees. I'd think anything should go for a minimum of $10, if not a lot more, so you might be in the same ballpark.

Thefurmonger
2011-04-04, 06:33 PM
Thanks I'll do that.

Ozreth
2011-04-04, 07:06 PM
MIC and SC can sell for $50-$90 alone.

Firechanter
2011-04-04, 07:10 PM
On the other hand, 3.0 stuff isn't really in demand anymore. As I see it, you need to find a noob who doesn't know the difference. :p

Thefurmonger
2011-04-04, 07:40 PM
Well as much as I enjoy spending the next 90 hours playing with Ebay do you guys think they would sell as a set?

Not a clue ATM of price but that sure would be easier

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-04, 07:46 PM
If your 3.5 books are in good condition, $40 is a good price, since there's a dearth of them currently.

Amnestic
2011-04-04, 08:00 PM
Easier to list, but potentially less easy to sell since people might not want your entire set but rather would prefer to pick and choose individual books. It also makes it easier to price the more desireable books at a higher price.

Unless you're in a particular hurry to sell them all off, you could just spend an hour every evening listing them up individually. Breaking it down into little bits is easier than going through the long slog of listing them at once.

Ozreth
2011-04-04, 08:08 PM
I sell almost all of my books on the sales section of the rpg.net forums, it's the best. Wish we had one here : (

Galathir
2011-04-04, 08:20 PM
As far as ease of selling goes, Amazon might be a good bet. Most of the work is done for you, all you need to do is find the book you're looking to sell, list the condition it's in, and set a price.

big teej
2011-04-05, 09:44 AM

you called?

wow, 2 book selling threads in 2 weeks
lucky me ^_^

I'm trying to collect EVERY 3.0 and 3.5 book published by WOTC

I'd be happy to discuss purchase of the following, however, I'm on a college budget, so I probably can't nab them all off you at once.

Complete Adventurer
Complete Warrior
Complete Divine
Complete Arcane
Races of Destiny
Races of The Wild
Frostburn
Dracomonican (Sp?)
Manual of the Planes
Unearthed Arcana
Libris Mortis
Savage Species
Spell Compendium
Planar Handbook
Stronghold Builders guide

Lhurgyof
2011-04-05, 09:48 AM
I kind of want the special edition PHB... Any idea how much you'd sell it for?

Thefurmonger
2011-04-05, 10:17 AM
Ok. WOW.

Judging by the number of PMs I have gotten on this, the anwser to "Is there any intrest" is YES!!!

to everyone asking, thank you for the intrest, I am currently putting together a list of what they are all going for. I will post up more once I finish.

Again, thank you to all that have showed an intrest

Duskranger
2011-04-05, 11:52 AM
Books sell expecially in my country (The Netherlands) for a lot. I have seen people ask 50 euros for a PHB.

I am still searching for the books onsites like ebay and amazo in our country, but sadly it's quite hard to find it.

I really want the PHB 3.5 and the ToB. Sigh.

Doesn't matter good luck pricing the books and you will certainly sell them well :smallsmile:

Thurbane
2011-04-05, 09:18 PM
On Amazon, the core books (especially PHB and DMG), Spell Compendium, Magic Item Compendium and Tome of Battle sell for ludicrously inflated prices.

Anyone who has the 3 core book gift set (in the slip box) can pretty much retire to a cottage in Tuscany if he feels like selling it. Same with the "deluxe bound" PHB or DMG. :smalltongue:

slaydemons
2011-04-05, 09:28 PM
If I had a job I would tell you I have a deep interest in some of those books but as I don't have one I can only gawk in want (I have the core and two completes)

Thefurmonger
2011-04-05, 09:39 PM
Same with the "deluxe bound" PHB or DMG. :smalltongue:

Yeah, I am Soooooooo glad I have 2 of the Leather PHB :)