PDA

View Full Version : Thread Subscription Notifies Me of My Post

Volos
2011-04-04, 04:49 PM
I'm not enitrely sure whether or not this is an issue as it doesn't post a problem to me but it is really strange to see and may be a sign of an underlying problem. I posted in my OOC thread earlier and clicked on my User CP button to see if there was a responce. According to the site, I needed to be notified that I had posted.

This is what I'm talking about. (Warning Wide images)
http://i55.tinypic.com/2a99yer.png

See I'm Volos and it's telling me Volos has posted in this thread.
http://i53.tinypic.com/2ytxtmv.png

Is this a bug in the site? If so, is anyone aware of it? Will it be fixed? It's not that bothersome, but I find it odd that it wants me to know that I've posted.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-04-04, 04:57 PM
I can't imagine that it's a bug. It tells you when there's a post you haven't read, and it tells you who posted it, regardless of who it was.

Even if it was a bug, I'd imagine there's much more important things that the mods have to work on, though as always, wait for the official word.

Jarian
2011-04-04, 05:11 PM
I believe it only works that way when your post would be the first on a new page. It's happened to me every time I was the first post on a new page, at any rate.

Mystic Muse
2011-04-04, 05:13 PM
If you just ignore it it'll go away after a bit.

Volos
2011-04-04, 05:17 PM
I believe it only works that way when your post would be the first on a new page. It's happened to me every time I was the first post on a new page, at any rate.

My post was the first one on a new page, perhaps that was what had happened. I've noticed it more and more now that I'm posting in a one player one DM game.

Savannah
2011-04-04, 07:58 PM
It seems to happen to me if I hit User CP too soon after I post. If I wait a little bit and hit User CP again, the notification disappears, so it's like it takes a minute for it to realize I was the one that posted :smallconfused:

Rockphed
2011-04-04, 11:11 PM
The same sort of thing happens when you post in a thread and use the forum's "take me to first unread post" feature. Sometimes it takes you to the previous page where there are unread posts that you missed. Sometimes it takes you to your own post. I never know which it will be until I click on it.

Zeb The Troll
2011-04-05, 12:19 AM
That's usually what it is when I see this. Someone has posted something between the time I clicked Reply and the time I clicked Submit, but my post ended up being on the next page, so the forums know that I haven't yet read all of the posts on the previous page and makes the check mark green, even though I was the last poster in the thread.

Marnath
2011-04-05, 12:59 AM
That's usually what it is when I see this. Someone has posted something between the time I clicked Reply and the time I clicked Submit, but my post ended up being on the next page, so the forums know that I haven't yet read all of the posts on the previous page and makes the check mark green, even though I was the last poster in the thread.

I've had that happen to me 7 or 8 times, but it always skips the rest of the page for me in favor of showing mine. :smallconfused:

Zeb The Troll
2011-04-05, 02:22 AM
Yeah, me too. I just know, now, that it means I have to manually go back and make sure I've read everything since I started composing my post.

Volos
2011-04-05, 04:19 AM

As a PbP DM and person who generally hates getting Ninja'd or Swordsage'd, I always (yes always) check the thread I am posting in right before hitting the Submit Reply button. In the case of my PbP games, I check two or three times. This 'self reply subscription notification' still happens to me fairly often. Just wanted to know if it was an issue with my browser or a bug on the site that was a sign of something bigger.

Zeb The Troll
2011-04-05, 04:53 AM
As a PbP DM and person who generally hates getting Ninja'd or Swordsage'd, I always (yes always) check the thread I am posting in right before hitting the Submit Reply button. In the case of my PbP games, I check two or three times. This 'self reply subscription notification' still happens to me fairly often. Just wanted to know if it was an issue with my browser or a bug on the site that was a sign of something bigger.I'm afraid I don't have a good answer for you there.

Out of curiosity, how do you check before you post? Do you have the reply open in a separate tab and then go refresh the thread? Or do you just preview your post before submitting, which will show any new posts since you opened the reply?

Volos
2011-04-05, 06:07 AM
I'm afraid I don't have a good answer for you there.

Out of curiosity, how do you check before you post? Do you have the reply open in a separate tab and then go refresh the thread? Or do you just preview your post before submitting, which will show any new posts since you opened the reply?

My usual method is to re-open the thread in a new tab, double checking to make sure it hasn't hit a new page. Although sometimes I will craft my post in Microsoft Word to spell and grammer check it, refreshing the page to see if there are new posts, click Post Reply, and copy-paste my reply in.