PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Exalted and Permanent Limit

Endless Query
2011-04-05, 12:35 AM
I've been looking into making a Lunar and possibly going through some stuff prior to getting the moonsilver tattoos (using only the Lunar book in Exalted 2nd edition) and I'm curious about something: Do you retain your permanent limit when you get your tattoos or does your base limit reset to 0?

Tavar
2011-04-05, 12:40 AM
Permanent limit, as well as derangements/mutations, stay with the character.

Endless Query
2011-04-05, 12:59 AM
I see! Very interesting, thank you.

SurlySeraph
2011-04-05, 03:27 PM
In other words, you have to weigh whether those cool Chimera Knacks are worth going insane twice as often as everybody else.

Teln
2011-04-05, 03:29 PM
In other words, you have to weigh whether those cool Chimera Knacks are worth going insane twice as often as everybody else.

And if Merits/Flaws are in play, you've got to weigh the 5 bonus points you'd gain from having 5 points of Greater Curse.

Reynard
2011-04-05, 09:10 PM
And if Merits/Flaws are in play, you've got to weigh the 5 bonus points you'd gain from having 5 points of Greater Curse.

Once a chimera hits Limit 10 (or rather, triggers Limit Break), they give in to the beast, running completely off of the instinct of their Flaw.

Their PC hands the sheet over to the ST, for they are lost to the world, and only Solar Circle Sorcery has a hope of righting it.

Endless Query
2011-04-06, 01:55 AM
True, but based on the information given once you get your tattoos you're free of the concerns of having your limit ramp all the way to permanent 10 (and if you're not at permanent 10 you just have regular limit break like anyone else, even if you have 9 permanent limit)...

And honestly as a Lunar it's not like Limit comes up that often anyways, so far as I can tell.

TheCountAlucard
2011-04-06, 07:56 AM
And honestly as a Lunar it's not like Limit comes up that often anyways, so far as I can tell.Comes up more often than as a Solar; for one, you're getting it three times a month, bare minimum. Second, ignoring unnatural mental influence causes Limit gain. Third, resisting your flawed Virtue gives you Limit gain. Fourth, of course, is your Virtue Flaw itself.

Tavar
2011-04-06, 08:08 AM
The book also mentions how, normally, if you're above, say, 6 or so permanent limit you're likely to be put down as a chimera.

Teln
2011-04-06, 09:12 AM
Once a chimera hits Limit 10 (or rather, triggers Limit Break), they give in to the beast, running completely off of the instinct of their Flaw.

Their PC hands the sheet over to the ST, for they are lost to the world, and only Solar Circle Sorcery has a hope of righting it.

That's only if you hit 10 permanent Limit. Every single published Chimera Knack requires a permanent Limit of only 5. If you want the Chimera Knacks and the tattoos, just start with 5 points of Greater Curse and pick a Caste at chargen.

TheCountAlucard
2011-04-06, 09:26 AM
If you want the Chimera Knacks and the tattoos, just start with 5 points of Greater Curse and pick a Caste at chargen.Err, no, that doesn't work. Greater Curse doesn't give you permanent Limit - it specifically reduces your Limit track altogether. It's a subtle difference, mind you, but still significant enough to cause this trick to not work.

golentan
2011-04-06, 11:34 AM
Err, no, that doesn't work. Greater Curse doesn't give you permanent Limit - it specifically reduces your Limit track altogether. It's a subtle difference, mind you, but still significant enough to cause this trick to not work.

Which I'm assuming also would make chimerism riskier for someone with greater curse, no?

Though I still like the idea of a Chimera who's taken all the Dreaming Pearl Courtesan style (?) charms and can turn into a chimera while a chimera.

The Rose Dragon
2011-04-06, 12:47 PM
Comes up more often than as a Solar; for one, you're getting it three times a month, bare minimum. Second, ignoring unnatural mental influence causes Limit gain. Third, resisting your flawed Virtue gives you Limit gain. Fourth, of course, is your Virtue Flaw itself.

Lunars don't have a Limit Break condition outside of the full moon, which is where most of a Solar's Limit comes from. And it's easy to avoid being under the full moon on those three nights, from an OOC perspective.

So, Lunars limit break far less if they don't spend time under the full moon, but most of them believe frolicking under the sky in those days is sacred or something, so they just limit break less instead.

TheCountAlucard
2011-04-06, 01:08 PM
Lunars don't have a Limit Break condition outside of the full moon, which is where most of a Solar's Limit comes from.Oops. True dat, my mistake. :smallredface: Still, they get it from resisting UMI (likely if they don't have their mental PD), and from resisting their primary Virtue. Point made, though.

Drascin
2011-04-06, 04:11 PM
Oops. True dat, my mistake. :smallredface: Still, they get it from resisting UMI (likely if they don't have their mental PD), and from resisting their primary Virtue. Point made, though.

They don't actually have a PD against UMI, IIRC. Hard-nosed Denial Style is NMI only. So yes, pretty likely.

Tavar
2011-04-06, 04:41 PM
Don't they have that charm that turns any influence into an unacceptable order?

Though, once again, proving the designers hate Lunars.

The Rose Dragon
2011-04-06, 04:47 PM
Though, once again, proving the designers hate Lunars.

I wouldn't say it's "hate", exactly. It's more that there is no clear idea what they should do with Lunars. The history of Exalted has been more or less unchanged since the early First Edition, and most of the major strokes has been the same. In the First Edition, however, Lunars were mostly Wyld-worshipping barbarians and were made into PCs later in the design process. Therefore, their history was one against Creation, rather than in defense of it, and their powers were mostly designed for antagonists rather than protagonists (I know a few players still lament how terribly their Charm "clouds" were designed). When they were turned into a fully PC-compatible splat in 2nd Edition, they could not be changed heavily from their roots without having to heavily modify the history of Creation. Therefore, they are stuck with their poor design and lack of clear themes other than "shapeshifting and hanging out in the Wyld".

Teln
2011-04-06, 04:48 PM
Don't they have that charm that turns any influence into an unacceptable order?

Indeed they do: Commanded to Fly. The only defensive Charm in the entire game that requires you to brainwash yourself. Also one of my all-time favorite Charms.

Yuki Akuma
2011-04-06, 05:05 PM
Not true. There are Yozi charms and Solar charms that require auto-brainwashing to defend against mental influence.

Friv
2011-04-07, 07:03 PM
Not true. There are Yozi charms and Solar charms that require auto-brainwashing to defend against mental influence.

Sidereals, too. They only have two ways to defend against UMI. One requires the UMI to be sidetracking you from a superior-approved plan, and the other requires you to drive yourself insane for a day in order to become the sort of person who wouldn't be willing to fulfill that UMI.

Commanded To Fly would be amazing, if it weren't such a bad Charm. I love the concept, but not the execution.