PDA

View Full Version : Minimal Component Spells

BiblioRook
2011-04-05, 01:40 AM
For my next character it looks like I will be relying on the Silence and Still feats, even with a Metamagic School Focus (Likely Enchantment or Illusion, leaning towards Enchantment. Probably should clarify I'm a Beguiler) that still leaves me at +1

I was wondering if there are some convenient spells that don't require a Somatic and/or Verbal component? Or just as few components as possible actually.

NNescio
2011-04-05, 02:57 AM
For my next character it looks like I will be relying on the Silence and Still feats, even with a Metamagic School Focus (Likely Enchantment or Illusion, leaning towards Enchantment. Probably should clarify I'm a Beguiler) that still leaves me at +1

I was wondering if there are some convenient spells that don't require a Somatic and/or Verbal component? Or just as few components as possible actually.

Almost all teleportation spells (except for the ones involving planar travel) are verbal only.

Bakkan
2011-04-06, 01:39 AM
Check out Whispercast (Lords of Madness p129). Casts as a swift action, and the next 5th-level or lower spell you cast is automatically stilled and silenced. It only has a verbal component, so if you prepare a Silent Whispercast in a 3rd-level slot, you can get free Still and Silent on the next spell. It's bnasically one 3rd and one 5th level slot instead of one 7th level slot (a bargain any day, IMHO)

Also, I have a fairly extensive compendium of spells in spreadsheet form on my computer, so if you can narrow down what you're looking for I may be able to help.

BiblioRook
2011-04-06, 03:34 PM
Well like I said, at the moment I'm playing a Beguiler and they have a pretty set list. However, going through it myself I haven't been finding all that many that really suited (I've only checked up to 3 level spells so far and I think I've found like... 1 single component spell.)

The idea was I was feeling a little goofy and was wondering how well I would be able to pull off being a cat spellcaster (Tidbit in cat form) since I knew I wasn't on doing anything in combat other then casting anyways.

Edit: I have another idea, but feel free to tell me how ludicrous this might be.
I know of metamagic rods, but do they have to be rods? How complicated would it be to craft an item with the same function as something completely different, such as, oh, a bracelet or a choker?

Rebel7284
2011-04-06, 03:45 PM
Shadowcraft Mage is a great prestige class for Beguiler to begin with and gets Silent Illusions at level 2.

erikun
2011-04-06, 06:57 PM
One thing I liked about the Ultimate Magus is the ability to give up spell slots (on one side) for "free" metamagic (on the other). A Wizard/Bard/Ultimate Magus with Still Spell, Silent Spell, and Disguise Spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#disguiseSpell) would be able to cast every spell they have without a specific component at any time, for a light cost.

Beyond that, I know that the Power Word line only has one component (verbal), but I'm not sure if that helps your Beguiler any. Don't spontaneous casters take longer to cast metamagiced spells, unless they take another feat?

Epsilon Rose
2011-04-06, 07:53 PM
Perhaps you could get your DM to let you take the feat that allows druids to cast while wild shaped so as to avoid expending resources simply to be able to do your job?
That was a really weird way to word things...

Zaq
2011-04-06, 10:35 PM
There's a Wu Jen spell that, right out of the box, has no verbal, somatic, or material components. It only has a focus, and it explicitly says that as long as the focus is on your person, activating the spell is basically purely mental. I think it's called Secret Signs or something like that. I'm pretty sure that it's Wu Jen-only, though, but it's an interesting curiosity.

gomipile
2011-04-06, 11:23 PM
The best Tibbit "spellcaster" I know is the Spell to Power Erudite. The only spells that might be a problem are ones that have expensive material components and/or a focus.

NNescio
2011-04-06, 11:42 PM
Perhaps you could get your DM to let you take the feat that allows druids to cast while wild shaped so as to avoid expending resources simply to be able to do your job?
That was a really weird way to word things...

There's the Surrogate Spell feat (Savage Species), which is basically Natural Spell for non-druids, but it still requires a Wis of 13 like Natural Spell.

Radar
2011-04-07, 04:06 AM
If you use those specific metamagic feats on nearly everything, then it might be reasonable to pick Easy Metamagic (or Practical Metamagic - I can't remember the difference between the two) for at least one of those feats.

BiblioRook
2011-04-07, 04:44 AM
If you use those specific metamagic feats on nearly everything, then it might be reasonable to pick Easy Metamagic (or Practical Metamagic - I can't remember the difference between the two) for at least one of those feats.

I looked into that, but it seems to only work with one spell specifically chosen at the obtaining of the feat and that one spell alone (unless the feat is taken again, in which you pick another spell)
Am I wrong on that?

That Surrogate Spell feat looks perfect though, thanks! That basically renders most of this irrelevant :smallbiggrin:

Radar
2011-04-07, 04:53 AM
I looked into that, but it seems to only work with one spell specifically chosen at the obtaining of the feat and that one spell alone (unless the feat is taken again, in which you pick another spell)
Am I wrong on that?

That Surrogate Spell feat looks perfect though, thanks! That basically renders most of this irrelevant :smallbiggrin:
As far as I understand those feats, they work for one specific metamagic feat, but it can be applied to any spell. Compare with Arcane Thesis, which does lower cost of metamagic feats for one specific spell (and gives a CL bonus to that spell IIRC). Giving a discount for a specific metamagic for a specific spell would be extremly underpowered.

dextercorvia
2011-04-08, 10:35 AM

These feats can't reduce the metamagic cost below +1 level.

Am I wrong on that?

You are thinking of Arcane Thesis, which works with one spell, but all metamagic applied to that spell is reduced by 1 level, minimum total adjustment to the spell is a +0. Awesome feat for some things, but not what you are trying to do here.