PDA

View Full Version : My world for a revision

Balor01
2011-04-05, 07:10 AM
Here is a text I accumulated so far in order to describe my d&d world. I'd like to present this here for a revision. Did I in your opinion miss anything important? Should some things be explained more in detail?

Description of the cities of the region:

Cities of the South

Karlivern: One of the last surviving outposts of the Northern city-states. Once a protectorate of New Horwarth is now flooded with all kinds of refugees from the North. City authorities lost any control over teeming masses, looting, riots and rape are common among tens of thousands of those who flock to this former beacon of civilization and order. Refugees are also a common target for raids by demihumans lice orcs, goblins and hobgoblins who also flee the onslaught of the North.

Tazarin: One of the Free cities of the South, led by Iron Earth dragon family. Many northerners fled into this city, but found it hard and unwelcoming. Merchants of Tazarin actually hired a small group of Neruls’ clerics in order to keep mobs at bay. Along with mercenaries of different races, they managed to keep some order in and around Tazarin while bleeding the refugees dry of their gold.

Sabkara: One of the less important Free cities of the South. Rather few refugees reached Sabkara, a city, where trade with desert-specific goods bloomed prior to the Great Arcane War. A place of thieves, mercenaries and dark plots.

Tifazul: A rather large naval outpost of the Free cities where ships from the north moored on their way to Asfaja. Several ships with refugees from the North reached Tifazul, but town remains mainly unchanged.

New Abaran: Old Abaran was completely destroyed (covered with a lake of boiling lava) in Great Arcane War, but the port remains a useful resting point between Asfaja and other western cities. Several bands of demihumans along with some humans joined up and formed up New Abaran, a small, stinky and desolate place, living mostly off supplies they provide for passing ships. Trade has dropped after the war, but refugees are many and some give gold and others their bodies.

Asfaja: Also, The Jevel of the South, led by Storm Gate dragon family . Most important of the Free cities of the South. Prior to war it was ruled by a family of gold dragons under protection of great city of Shadizar. Soon after the war the Mages’ guild in the cit was abandoned and most of good clerics lost thier powers. At the same time a powerful death cult arose in Asfaja but was after some bitter fighting stopped and killed by the dragons who now rule Asfaja. Asfaja is the strongest city of the South.

Gatiska: A dump. Small, semi-important coastal town led by ruthless black dragon Eldaughos.

Description of the climate and terrain

South is a hot, yet not a very dangerous place to those who know how to handle desert. Ample supply of water, some Endure elements spells and a decent amount of strength and/or spellcasting abilities will make sure creatures survive land travel. It is actually preferred to travel by air or sea if and when possible. Dragon rule made sure there are almost no pirates in the region.
Inner regions of the land are a home to many nasty monsters like bullete and rust monster, but a decent ranger-guide will lead caravans or groups of travelers on safe paths. The inner regions of the South are mostly barren, and as such a good place to hide for those who wish to remain unseen by regional dragon masters or other individuals.

On dragons in the South

Dragon family Storm Gate is the strongest dragon family in the region, hoarding most wealth, magic items and followers in order to maintain its grip over great trade port of Asfaja. It is led by family elder Hiengaw Ineorust Hiegche de Storm gate, helped by three dragon-sons Kuifald, Jigarrod and Tiassom.

Dragon family Iron Earth holds dominion over Tazarin and its environs. Family leader of these blue dragons Snaychyer Legkal de Iron Earth rules with help of his kobold minions and guild of powerful arcane assassins. Most of his spawn is yet too weak to really make an impact in regional dynamics, but decades to come may change that.

Eldaughos is a single black dragon who flew over northern ranges and took over the ruler ship in small port town of Gatiska. He is alone, yet not stupid. As a bulwark against horrors of the North, he made a pact with Storm Gate family leader to protect the South and keep to his machinations. As times change, Eldaughos may have a vital role to play in the region.

Sameth, Darranarth, Arworinth, Polusteth and Tiaoth are relevant red dragons who came into the South from the North. Their plans are unknow, but power and wealth are surely a part of their agenda.

As a rulers, dragons are generally very careful as far as politics and city-management goes, but that mainly depends on a species. In despite the beliefs of most Northerners, dragons are not ridden, unless under some extreme circumbstances. Older dragons see other species as sort of children - sometimes unruly, mostly silly and always in need of guidance. They often outwit their enemies and are so great mainly due to their huge wealth, access to magic items from other planes, intelligence and great amount of experience. People do not worship dragons, but many see them as wise and fair kings. Again, this attitude has a lot to do with dragon species. White dragons of the North are known to be stupid killers.

Description of the organisations and cults of the region

Refugees from the North: Tens of thousands of humans, demihumans and monsters of all kinds seek new life in the South, while retreating from the horrors of the Arcane War. This of course brings new conflicts between newcomers and old inhabitants.

Dragon families: Dragons rule most of the cities of the South. Former mercantile hotspots are now facing financial crisis and appearance of all sorts of challengers to old dragon rule.

Cult of the Serpent: Revakened Snake god promised dominance over all species to the scaly ones. Those who heed his call are dangerous machinators and spellcasters of unexpected power.

Acolytes of Nerull: God of death gives power to all who give him death. To serve Nerull is to be ever-increasing killer, bringing ever more souls to this dark god. This cult is chased by dragon families and other organizations, but the lure is too strong. Acolytes remain the horror of all living creatures. Some say even undead fear them, since cultist are able to gain sacrifices for their god even by killing undead creatures.

Horrors of Arcane War: Creatures hailing from the North, mostly offspring of warped divine powers infecting the north. Mainly, they desire to kill all life, not for Nerull, but for the fact, destruction is their primary force.

Description of the creatures of the region:

Creatures of the South

South was untill recently inhabited with mainly scaly creatures – kobolds, lizardmen and kuo-toas. Soon after the end of Arcane war, however, a large groups of refugees and monsters from the North from the north invaded the parched lands of the South.

Humans, humanoids like orcs, bugbears and goblins along with small number of dwarves and elfs trailed the path along the coast to a few cities that lay along the coast. Population boomed, but also the need for resources, especially water so initial conflicts erupted very fast.
Along with humanoids a large amount of dragons came from the north. Now a great war rages between chromatic and metallic dragons, and as it seems, the following species will be able to carve out and hold their dominions: Gold, Bronze, Blue and Red.

Scaled creatures, with the appearance of The Serpent got a patron and a strong agenda to rebuild their long dead empires. Monsters of the north prevented their plans. For now.

Deathspeakers: Clerics of the Nerull who only strive toward death of all things. Probably one of the most destructive forces in entire South and a great problem for dragon leaders.

Other relevant native species:

Aboleths: Warm waters of the South are also a home to aboleths, the great manipulators. Prior to great war, aboleths built small underwater kingdoms, supplying the land-dwellers with goods like pearls and certain spell components.

Black dragons are also original inhabitants of the south. Currently good dragons are dominant in the region, but with the arrival of refugees, black dragons may seize an opportunity to grab more power in the region.

Sphynxs are a common dwellers of dry South.

On Spell Restrictions

Epic magic and involvement of The Serpent left large parts of standard arcane magic far less potent then before Arcane wars. As for divine magic, supreme rulership of Nerul prevented resurrection magic from existence. Once a creature dies The great Conqueror claims its soul. Anyone breaching this rule may be quickly spotted by The Dreaded Shadow.

As for arcane powers, the art of becoming a wizard is mostly lost. Those who do delve in arcane arts and collect old scrolls and tomes will realize that three strong schools of arcane might became nonexistent: Divination, Conjuration and Transmutation. A small and weak streak of Transmutation-related spells remain, but strongest of them are level three spells. Also, Rope trick, Haste and Slow no longer exist.

On Pantheon

During the Great Arcane War a large part of regular Pantheon was killed, but a few gods thrived. Among them Nerull, god of death, who became a greater diety. Neutral gods also survived. Currently, there are the following gods:

Nerull, The great Conqueror, The Dreaded Shadow, Form of Death: Arisen from petty trifle with other gods, Death incarnate now does nothing but thrives on all the death, released by the Arcane war and in part, heeds to calls of his followers.

Erythnul The Survivor: One of the few gods who fought the evil side of pantheon and lived. Stronger then before, Erythnul does nothing but saws seeds of discord among sentient creatures to incite war and death. Unbeknown to most, he is a patron of divine abominations in the land and gives blessing to destruction, caused by these horrid creatures.

Fharlanghn The Uncommitted: One of the gods who took no sides in the Arcane war. Due to many refugees and wondering creatures, a strong god, but not really an opposition to Nerull or Erythnul.

Garl Glittergold The Uncommitted: One of the gods who took no sides in the Arcane war. Due to his protection and their unmatched skill in art of creating constructs, most of gnomes had it pretty good during the Arcane war, but were almost obliterated after abominations took the stage. Unconcerned with other races, Garl Glittergold, remains a neutral diety.

Obad-Hai, The Uncommitted, The Restorer: One of the gods who took no sides in the Arcane war. In despite the proportions of dying during the Arcane war, Obad-Hai sees this as a natural course of things. He is instrumental in providing the surviving world with new life and thus, new death, so he is not in opposition with overdiety, Nerull.

the Serpent: One of the gods who re-appeared during Arcane wars and co-forged Truedeath spell. A diety on-par with Nerull, but unintrigued in such competition. A patron of lizard species, who tries to restore old powers of fallen lizard kingdoms and established a firm grip of dragons on the world, but is unable to do so untill abominations wreck havoc in the land.

Yondalla, The Uncommitted: Another god who took no part in Arcane war, but is greatly revered by many in post-Arcane war world. Not really a competition to any of other gods.

Demigod of Rape, Soulblighter: A minor, yet dreaded demigod, released into the World during the Arcane War. His ability to corrupt all things was once feared even by gods, but Demigod of Rape now remains a firm and feared entity in the world.

byaku rai
2011-04-05, 07:36 AM
So... All the good gods are dead? :smalleek: That could lead to lots of interesting stuff....

What exactly do you plan for the PCs to do in this world? That would really help in modifications and revisions.

Balor01
2011-04-05, 07:50 AM
@byaku rai
Yes, all good gods are dead. But divine good essence is not gone. Surely some good heroes may gain divine ranks and ascend.

This is to be a sandbox campaign but there are quite a few forces moving within this land that PCs may join.

First is the fact that the old rulers of the land, that is, a few dragon families, are threatened by the refugees from the north. PCs could serve them as their henchmen and help defeat or redirect the pesky northerners.

Then, there is a lizard agenda. The Serpent has a secret plot to reinstate scaly kingdoms of old. Dragons fear them and attempt to destroy their cults and clans wherever they can. (but not exactly exterminate everything with a scale)

There are entire renegade nations - dwarves, elves, humans, orcs, bugbears and others who seek new lands in the South. Some by cooperation, some by force. PCs could aid them.

Then there are servants of Nerull. Death is their prime goal, death of all things and are as such a highly mixed factor for the land. Strongest clerics come from lineage of Nerulls followers, but these are as likely to try to stop a rampaging abomination in its way as they are to try and kill an entire city.

And from the north come all kinds of horrors, survivors from the great Arcane War.

archon_huskie
2011-04-05, 09:31 AM
With the weakening of three schools of magic, any magic items based on those would become more valuable. In a few decades wars could be fought over who owns a crystal ball.

Haarkla
2011-04-05, 02:40 PM
A very good and interesting setting. I like it.

However as you asked for reveiw, I would make a few changes.

Asfaja: The Jevel of the South. Most important of the Free cities of the South. Prior to war it was ruled by a family of gold and brass dragons under protection of great city of Shadizar.

I think Brass Dragons are stupid, dont use them. There are too many types of dragon in core. A family of a single type of dragon makes much more sense.

Those who do delve in arcane arts and collect old scrolls and tomes will realize that three strong schools of arcane might became nonexistent: Divination, Conjuration and Transmutation.

Banning Divination (some things man is not meant to know) and Conjuration (flashy and overpowered) I can understand.
But Transmutation is one of my favorite and best schools of magic. It would be better to restrict transmutation to spells of 3rd level and lower.

Demigod of Rape, Soulblighter: A minor, yet dreaded demigod, released into the World during the Arcane War. His ability to corrupt all things was once feared even by gods, but Demigod of Rape now remains a firm and feared entity in the world.

!!! For this to work, your players must be very different to mine is all I can say.

Dragons appear important in your world, were I one of your players I would want to know more about how they fit in. Do they have a government? Do people ride them? Can you buy a dragon? Do people worship them?

I would also want to know more about climate.

Balor01
2011-04-06, 04:19 AM

!!! For this to work, your players must be very different to mine is all I can say.

Please do tell more. What do you mean by this? And thanks for the help so far. :smallsmile: To all of you :smallbiggrin:

Solaris
2011-04-06, 05:38 AM
Please do tell more. What do you mean by this? And thanks for the help so far. :smallsmile: To all of you :smallbiggrin:

Rape is generally a taboo subject.

Balor01
2011-04-06, 05:50 AM
@Solaris
What is there to work or not-to work? PCs may chase down followers of this obscure diety or ... well, alternatives are not very appealing, but it did happen in the past. Yup, I had some odd PCs in my past in my campaigns.

byaku rai
2011-04-06, 11:15 AM
Obviously. :smalleek:

Are you wanting Good players? If so, the main goals of the campaign will probably be to restore the Good deities (or even possibly Ascend to that position themselves...) or, in the short run, to weaken Nerull and Soulblighter. Exterminatus, anyone? x.x

If they're gonna be evil... Well, that opens up a lot of other options... Most likely have them pledge to one god or another, then go on missions of destruction. For nice evil ideas on the Rape God's followers, I'd suggest looking at http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Slaanesh. Not exactly D&D, but it's a good source of ideas.